collapse

Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: What was said in 2010 is now "false"  (Read 7149 times)

Offline Claudia Vonigner

• Antediluvian
What was said in 2010 is now "false"
« on: June 14, 2013, 06:33:58 PM »

Offline Nigama

• Dead
  • Antediluvian
Re: What was said in 2010 is now "false"
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2013, 06:50:54 PM »
http://www.wodnews.net/Home/tabid/41/Article/958/EXCLUSIVE-TGM-2010-info-partly-off-the-table.aspx

Dere.

Nice to see they're not consistent in their leakings :D

Most of that info was already updated at TGM '11.  Nothing really new here that I can see, 'cept less of a focus on the LGBT community.  I don't expect actual news until late next year. 

Maybe.

Nigama
"You may not remember us, but we may be responsible for your lack of memory."

Offline mouser9169

• Methuselah
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2013, 08:58:45 PM »
Did anyone expect anything different?

Everything they say about the game is subject to change, up to and after launch.

Until they have an actual beta, I consider anything said by the devs to be 'cool ideas they're thinking about'.

At launch, they become 'cool ideas they're trying to see if they generate enough revenue'.
Insanity Mod: If you're not dying, I'm not trying.

Offline Valamyr

• Kindred
  • Antediluvian
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2013, 03:47:26 AM »
Honestly, I suspected and still view all pre-Black October 'infos' as suspicious. They made such a break with the initial project then that I feel like until we get new confirmations, all the old stuff is possibly off the table.

Offline chaoticjoy1

• Fledgling
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2013, 05:58:26 AM »
They just need to release the game already!
Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror,
victory however long and hard the road may be;
for without victory there is no survival.

Offline Radical21

• Antediluvian
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2013, 04:39:14 PM »

They will release when its ready, stop pushing them.

Offline Valamyr

• Kindred
  • Antediluvian
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2013, 02:14:53 AM »

I wish, but no. They're nowhere anything even remotely close to a marketable product.

Offline Nosferatu Numbers Station

• Concealer of a dead language
  • Methuselah
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2013, 02:51:23 AM »
It could of been, but alas they had other priorities...and it turned out to be a bombshell.  Aiming for the fps market wasn't the bad part, it was going for the console and trying to make it a part of EVE when it'd of been more beneficial to stick to PC (if only because they'd have access to the same audience).

I don't know if it's getting harder to please people, or if it's really just them.  Usually it evens out as both, but I'm really not familiar with CCP's practices other than that they promised too much.
If you put your head to a pipe, you can always hear ringing.  But whether it's the pipe or your head that's ringing is the question.

Offline mouser9169

• Methuselah
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2013, 04:06:58 AM »

They will release when its ready, stop pushing them.

They will release it when marketing and accounting tell them it needs to be released, and not a day later.

It used to be that console games were only released 'when done', but with internet patching even that is starting to fall by the wayside. PC software has been released by ship date as standard practice for a long time now. Very, very few companies can honestly afford to release software (not limited to games) 'when its done': guys like Microsoft, IBM, Oracle, Blizzard [soon(tm)], maybe Bethesda and a handful of others [SOE if they really wanted to, which they've never shown any interest in doing]. The rest release it when it's good enough and use the revenue to finish patching what they can/need to.

Insanity Mod: If you're not dying, I'm not trying.

Offline Radical21

• Antediluvian
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2013, 05:47:29 AM »
Yeah well it isn't a console game and CCP is a self-publisher so I really don't see how any of what you said is related to WoDMMO.

Offline Valamyr

• Kindred
  • Antediluvian
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2013, 02:28:59 PM »
Self-publishing lets you make the 'When' call in-house, but it doesn't give devs absolute freedom. CCP has inked quite a bit of red, and that was one of the causes behind the restructuring of the project. Devs certainly didn't want to slash half the staff and essentially start over, but there were financial imperatives at the time. These can mean being forced to rush the product even if you're self-published.

Offline Radical21

• Antediluvian
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2013, 09:24:07 PM »
Self-publishing lets you make the 'When' call in-house, but it doesn't give devs absolute freedom. CCP has inked quite a bit of red, and that was one of the causes behind the restructuring of the project. Devs certainly didn't want to slash half the staff and essentially start over, but there were financial imperatives at the time. These can mean being forced to rush the product even if you're self-published.

Of course, they have investors and stuff but still it means that they have total control over the production

Offline Valamyr

• Kindred
  • Antediluvian
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2013, 02:21:11 AM »
At least WOD isn't the only MMO project suffering, so to speak.

Last year, "EQ Next" was scrapped and design started all over from step one to turn the game into a "pure sandbox experience' (Which is good news from the POV of this strongly pro-sandbox crowd at least, and though I'm good either way, sounds good to me as well I guess given how few of these titles are out there. Its not like I was dying to play EQ3.)

Now, its apparently a month-old piece of news, but the secretive Titan project from Blizzard which is a next-gen MMO originally slated for 2015 in leaked papers and in development for many years has apparently work done on it so far has been scrapped last month and I'm sure the language will sound highly familiar; "We've always had a highly iterative development process, and the unannounced MMO is no exception. We've come to a point where we need to make some large design and technology changes to the game. We're using this opportunity to shift some of our resources to assist with other projects while the core team adapts our technology and tools to accommodate these new changes. Note that we haven’t announced any dates for the MMO."

I guess now that F2P MMOs are commonplace and people are tired of the old formula, we'll see some innovation for better or worse.

Offline xxbxx

• Fledgling
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2013, 07:08:31 AM »
Indeed, but "sandbox" sounds to me like "lazy developers don't want to develop the content but let the players create 'content' for themselves".

Honestly I believe good MMO must have both sandbox part and theme park part.

Offline Valamyr

• Kindred
  • Antediluvian
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2013, 08:36:45 AM »
Indeed, but "sandbox" sounds to me like "lazy developers don't want to develop the content but let the players create 'content' for themselves".

Honestly I believe good MMO must have both sandbox part and theme park part.

I agree personally, for what that is worth, but some people do prefer or think they would prefer a pure sandbox.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal