collapse

Author Topic: Good news regarding WoD Online!  (Read 13752 times)

Offline dbs

• Fledgling
Re: Good news regarding WoD Online!
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2014, 02:36:58 PM »

Offline Leorgrium

• Brujah
  • Neonate
  • Brujah
    • Twitter
« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2014, 02:49:36 PM »
is that real?

Everybody Lies...
PlanetVampire Discord Channel: https://discord.io/planetvampire

Offline dbs

• Fledgling
« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2014, 03:02:28 PM »
prealpha screenshots, not fake

Offline Leorgrium

• Brujah
  • Neonate
  • Brujah
    • Twitter

Everybody Lies...
PlanetVampire Discord Channel: https://discord.io/planetvampire

Offline Claudia Vonigner

• Antediluvian
« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2014, 04:40:25 PM »
Greater news !

I TOLD YOU SO :

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-04-14-ccp-cancels-vampire-mmo-world-of-darkness

Now if only they'd release the code for us to play around with and transfer Bloodlines into it ?? :)

Offline Valamyr

• Kindred
  • Antediluvian
« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2014, 03:04:35 AM »
First look at an in-game character model :)

Just after the project is canned!  :facepalm:

Offline snowbunny

• Fledgling
« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2014, 03:25:04 AM »
Those in-game screens that could be seen today on Twitter looks to me like... so 2010. I very like the mood though.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 03:27:09 AM by snowbunny »

Offline Valamyr

• Kindred
  • Antediluvian
« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2014, 03:39:02 AM »
Those in-game screens that could be seen today on Twitter looks to me like... so 2010. I very like the mood though.

Yes, given the engine woes it was long expected that the graphics werent going to be revolutionary. Judging from these, improvements since the last batch of leaked screens awhile ago were minimal.

They still tried a bit after Black October but clearly achieved little, leading to this.

Offline Rick Gentle

• Gangrel Playboy
  • Antediluvian
« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2014, 05:23:29 AM »
... why would torpor restore your Humanity...?
Remember: It's not the size of your fangs that matters; it's what you stick them in.

Offline Yosiel

• Neonate
« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2014, 03:45:09 PM »

Yeah, trying to justify it with lore, mm "you had slept a little keeping down your beast urges", best I can think of. But mostly it should be a mechanic need, you can restore your blood from kine, but humanity is the resource you restore only with time or especial actions, keeping you from playing all day.

I.E.: Blackmail, Cost: Humanity 1, Blood:1 (2 using Presence) Benefit: Gain $75 ($150 with presence)

Offline dbs

• Fledgling
« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2014, 06:14:47 PM »
Don't read too much into the screenshots on the gameplay and mechanics front. They went through numerous iterations/placeholder systems. The last one resembled EVE a bit with how you could queue skills while not even playing.

Offline Rick Gentle

• Gangrel Playboy
  • Antediluvian
« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2014, 10:25:23 PM »
The time-based progression system in EVE Online is the one of the things I would've like to see in the WODMMO. It's not a bad system to begin with, as it's common across all characters, and it's utterly fair since it progresses whether you're online playing or not, so it's you're progressing in the game as long as you're paying the monthly fee, instead of making it a giant grind-fest or finding a bunch of XP exploits.
It makes a lot of sense for vampire lore, too, since the older a vampire is, the more powerful it is. I think Twilight is the only series I know of that changed this, and they weren't even real vampires in those books, so... I laugh at Twilight.
Remember: It's not the size of your fangs that matters; it's what you stick them in.

Offline Cahalith

• Ancillus
  • Easygoing Howler
« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2014, 10:43:24 PM »

Ah! I think I can explain this one! First you have to keep in mind the WoD MMO was set neither in the oWoD nor the nWoD, but it was kind of its own thing. In Requiem vampires have Blood Potency, the older you get, the higher your Blood Potency gets and therefore the stronger you are. Of course, a vampire with high Blood Potency eventually needs to feed from other vampires and, in Blood & Smoke (Requiem 2nd edition, guys, go read it, it's awesome!), the vampiric weakness penalties get harsher... so you need to go into Torpor every century and a half or so. During Torpor your blood thins and you lose Blood Potency.

I think this is what happened in that case: the more active you are, the more vampire-like you become and less human. Torpor would then theoretically help to keep your character less powerful, but human and safe from Permadeath. But then again I'm totally talking out of my a** here.

And yeah, as dbs mentions, we can only guess now what kind of system would've been in place in a released WoD MMO... oh, well.
- Cahalith.

Break the glass of those street lamps. We must blind the thing before I begin.

Offline Valamyr

• Kindred
  • Antediluvian
« Reply #43 on: April 16, 2014, 02:18:51 PM »

Makes perfect sense in a MMO. They clearly intended Humanity to be much more fluid than in P&P, and time being the only currency that matters in online games, it's a great match. Kind of thing that makes me think that they were able to design a proper game, even if they couldn't  deliver it.

Strongly doubt it would have had anything to do with power, though. Just a straight tradeoff of 'grief less, or spend more time in torpor/lockdown, or deal with low humanity consequences'. Would have worked well.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 02:20:45 PM by Valamyr »

Offline Rick Gentle

• Gangrel Playboy
  • Antediluvian
« Reply #44 on: April 16, 2014, 04:08:39 PM »
My issue with that is that it doesn't make direct sense to have Humanity be a function of age. In either World of Darkness (though lots more in OWoD), there are a bunch of elders and even Methuselahs** who have respectably high Humanity - and they didn't torpor away their existences to regain it. To put it in simpler terms, just because a vampire is old doesn't mean they have lower Humanity. Just because a vampire is powerful doesn't mean they have lower Humanity.

**to name a few off the top of my head, Inyanga (Gangrel Elder), Rebekah (some Inconnu of Methuselah-level power), Theo Bell (not an Elder, but he's kickass), and of course Saulot (Antediluvian of the Salubri Clan).

So either they were also severely changing how Humanity works (and it worked pretty well to begin with; as a code of morality, you had to act in order to change it), or they made damn sure that every vampire in the game was going to have to lose Humanity at some point. Which doesn't strike me as appropriate or fair. If a vampire player WANTS to be nicey-nice, they should get that option. There are plenty of people around - and a couple on this very site - who want to maintain a LOW Humanity character, either because they want to portray being part of the Sabbat, or get in on the "null-sec"/pirate/PvP aspect of the game early. It seems doubly unfair to them if they have to enter Torpor to gain XP, AND it automatically replenishes/raises their Humanity at the same time. It would be acceptable if you could enter Torpor to EITHER spend your XP (as we saw in VTM - Redemption - you had to return to your haven and "sleep" to spend your XP), OR to regain Humanity (which to my way of thinking should be an actual time constraint, disabling that character for a while, depending on how low your Humanity is).

Given, it's an old screenshot, but these sorts of screenshots let us in on their modes of thinking, and the fundamentals of the game.
Completely off-topic, I saw a beta screenshot for Dawn of War 2: Chaos Rising, and the developers didn't even have the sense to make Chaos plasma guns the right color; it turned out that Chaos (much like the rest of the game) was half-assed and not well thought-through. So I'm a bit leery of alpha or beta screenshots that show weird or nonsensical things.

Speaking of screenshots, I vote that CCP release all the screenshots and beta-shots they have taken of the game to date. Scrub out the legally-sensitive bits, but let's see some screenshots taken from all those "internal testings". It can't hurt us anymore, and I'd like to see exactly how far they DID get with things.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 04:15:54 PM by Rick Gentle »