collapse

* Notice

Important notice (31 July): We have recently recovered from a nearly two day downtime due to an attack. No data was lost or stolen but the server has been reinstalled as a precaution. Please let us know if you encounter any issues. We apologise for the unacceptable inconvenience. Please read here for more information.

Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Dust 514's dismal reviews...  (Read 2958 times)

Offline VampireBill

• Neonate
Dust 514's dismal reviews...
« on: June 02, 2013, 01:20:33 am »
So... it's now becoming pretty apparent that Dust 514 is getting mediocre to awful reviews, with a recurring theme that the core of it is so flawed that it will be hard to really clean up over time (and even if it were possible, console gamers have incredibly short attention spans). This can't be anything but bad news for us, eh? =\

Offline _username

• Got Stront?
  • Antediluvian
Re: Dust 514's dismal reviews...
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2013, 02:03:43 am »
The reviews kind of run the gamut.  Some are pretty mediocre, and some are very good.  The poor reviews bring up some good points about the game's shortcomings, and the good reviews recognize that the game isn't intended to be an arcade kind of experience.  I doubt it will reach a million players, like the server-side infrastructure was supposedly built to support.  We'll see what the next few months hold in store.
LUNA NOBIS PROVIDET

Offline Nigama

• Dead
  • Antediluvian
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2013, 02:05:48 am »
So... it's now becoming pretty apparent that Dust 514 is getting mediocre to awful reviews, with a recurring theme that the core of it is so flawed that it will be hard to really clean up over time (and even if it were possible, console gamers have incredibly short attention spans). This can't be anything but bad news for us, eh? =\

I feel like.. yes.

But it's already what I expected.  That said, if CCP sticks with it, it will become a franchise that survives into the future, and given their rep they can make it better and more unique than other games, which could give it life in the long run.  Time will tell.  Bungee already had experience making FPSs before Halo, they made Marathon. Actually, in some ways, Marathon was a better game (better, more interactive, story, at least).

Still, I can't help but feel DUST should have been left until after WoD, but I don't work for CCP, so they care little for my opinion.

Nigama
"You may not remember us, but we may be responsible for your lack of memory."

Offline Rick Gentle

• Gangrel Playboy
  • Antediluvian
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2013, 03:09:34 am »
If DUST 514 goes under, maybe they'll put more focus on making sure the WODMMO doesn't flop.

Cuz since they didn't make DUST 514 for the PC, I just say "Fuck DUST 514". This seems like a project that was ill-conceived and badly implemented all over. I heard from a friend of mine that they haven't even integrated it with EVE Online very well. To use his words, "there's no reason why [somebody from EVE] should pay oodles of money to hire a mercenary to fight for them".
Remember: It's not the size of your fangs that matters; it's what you stick them in.

Offline Nigama

• Dead
  • Antediluvian
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2013, 03:46:37 am »
From: http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05/30/dust-514-review

"THE VERDICT

{The WoD} truly aims high with a one-of-a-kind {social rpg} endeavor. But such ambition is in vain if you don't have a solid foundation, and {WoD} crumbles almost from the get-go. Its wonky mechanics, weak graphics, and microtransaction fueled grind make it numbing to play long enough to explore its depth, and its persistent elements are completely lost on anyone who doesn't already have a foot down in the {WoD} universe. The ideas behind {WoD} are clearly strong, but so too is the disappointment when they crumble under the weight of its free-to-play baggage."

I hope it isn't like this.

Nigama
"You may not remember us, but we may be responsible for your lack of memory."

Offline Radical21

• Antediluvian
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2013, 04:26:38 am »
From: http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05/30/dust-514-review

"THE VERDICT

{The WoD} truly aims high with a one-of-a-kind {social rpg} endeavor. But such ambition is in vain if you don't have a solid foundation, and {WoD} crumbles almost from the get-go. Its wonky mechanics, weak graphics, and microtransaction fueled grind make it numbing to play long enough to explore its depth, and its persistent elements are completely lost on anyone who doesn't already have a foot down in the {WoD} universe. The ideas behind {WoD} are clearly strong, but so too is the disappointment when they crumble under the weight of its free-to-play baggage."

I hope it isn't like this.

Nigama

I wouldn't put stock in any review that criticizes CCP as doing "Banal art Design". (EVE Online is in the Museum of Modren Art btw)
Also if you read IGN's review of Planetside 2 you would have a laugh because that game actually has questionable art design but they wouldn't even mention it... so in short, if its poor taste or poor journalism,  its pretty easy to see the red flag that shows a reviewer making stuff up in order to try and criticize something.

Yeah I hate the grind and the so called "Free to play" that causes it  but as long as you have that model there will always be the grind because evidently developers fear that players will become bored without constant progression and since it cost money it is hard to run experiments of different game-play directions without getting burned.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 04:33:45 am by Radical21 »

Offline VampireBill

• Neonate
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2013, 04:31:27 am »
=\ I like how they also mention that the rewards for integration with EVE only really matter to EVE players, and are trivial to DUST players... Stupid CCP, I had a bad feeling about this since the first actual gameplay footage I saw.
Has there even been any real marketing for DUST? (admittedly I don't watch many of the deep cable channels they'd be most likely to advertise on)

Offline Radical21

• Antediluvian
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2013, 04:44:13 am »
=\ I like how they also mention that the rewards for integration with EVE only really matter to EVE players, and are trivial to DUST players... Stupid CCP, I had a bad feeling about this since the first actual gameplay footage I saw.
Has there even been any real marketing for DUST? (admittedly I don't watch many of the deep cable channels they'd be most likely to advertise on)

Yes I've seen several advertisements on gaming sites.

As for DUST affecting EVE or EVE affecting DUST, it really comes down to where CCP wants to take things, there are logistics to war and things that happen outside of battle such as Interactions in Space Stations, Holding the conquered territory and bringing in support for it etc...

The reasons CCP can't even begin to touch these potential gameplay concepts are:
- DUST is Free to Play Model so its a magnet to players who want to keep things simple.
- Its a Console title on a different Engine.
- EVE Doesn't have Walking in Stations and Pilots can't come down to the Planets.

-Aside from all of these, it seems there is a large market-share of whiny players who would simply hate to see a game where adversarial PvP actions result in long lasting consequences so for CCP to still hold onto these players they need to downplay the importance of the impact between universes.

Offline Rick Gentle

• Gangrel Playboy
  • Antediluvian
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2013, 06:03:05 am »
"Similar games like Battlefield 3 succeed by making it fun to fight both on foot and in vehicles, but Dust struggles to even make firing a gun feel right, much less vehicle combat. Now, I don't claim to be an expert marksman, but I had more trouble keeping my sights on target in Dust than in any FPS in recent memory. Part of this is due to the mushy aiming controls, which are too sluggish for quick turns, yet too jumpy to track moving targets reliably."

I can't help but think that part of that is due to the fact that they're playing with console controls...
Mouselook > swivelsticks.

Factoring in cross-platform integration didn't help matters either, I bet. PC-to-PC gets problematic enough a lot of the time.
Remember: It's not the size of your fangs that matters; it's what you stick them in.

Offline Radical21

• Antediluvian
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2013, 09:11:46 am »
"Similar games like Battlefield 3 succeed by making it fun to fight both on foot and in vehicles, but Dust struggles to even make firing a gun feel right, much less vehicle combat. Now, I don't claim to be an expert marksman, but I had more trouble keeping my sights on target in Dust than in any FPS in recent memory. Part of this is due to the mushy aiming controls, which are too sluggish for quick turns, yet too jumpy to track moving targets reliably."

I can't help but think that part of that is due to the fact that they're playing with console controls...
Mouselook > swivelsticks.

Factoring in cross-platform integration didn't help matters either, I bet. PC-to-PC gets problematic enough a lot of the time.

Its not that hard to find a mouse for the PS3

« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 09:14:11 am by Radical21 »

Offline Valamyr

• Kindred
  • Antediluvian
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2013, 09:51:02 am »
Speaking of CCP's problems...

Major ongoing DDoS attack against Tranquility. I can't confirm for DUST, but I'm reading it's having similar problems.

So we could say...

EVE Offline  :vampwink:   :thanku:

Offline mouser9169

• Methuselah
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2013, 11:28:27 am »
Dust 'failing' could be the greatest thing to happen to CCP if they learn from it.

I haven't played it (or EVE - well, I did play a little bit once), but this can remind the devs that they're only human and they need to build the game their players want, not the game that they personally want.  A lot of games (and businesses in general, honestly) fail due to that simple fact.

If they are still 'theorycrafting' WoDMMO then this is happening at exactly the right time. Make sure the players are going to be comfortable playing the game. You can't make it so far outside the box that players won't feel comfortable enough to learn to play it - especially in a FTP model where it costs players nothing to quit.  It doesn't mean be a WoW clone - but recognize that if all the major MMO's do something the same way, there's probably a good reason for that, and deviating from that should be done very carefully and only if they have a 'better' reason for it (being different simply for the sake of being different is not a good reason to do anything).
Insanity Mod: If you're not dying, I'm not trying.

Offline Radical21

• Antediluvian
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2013, 02:45:47 pm »

Major ongoing DDoS attack against Tranquility. I can't confirm for DUST, but I'm reading it's having similar problems.

Activision/Blizzard fighting dirty? why would anyone want to attack CCP?

but this can remind the devs that they're only human and they need to build the game their players want, not the game that they personally want.  A lot of games (and businesses in general, honestly) fail due to that simple fact.

Actually No, Developers simply need to be players who make a game they themselves would enjoy playing and that is something consistent about any game that made into the hall of fame.

In some MMORPGs gamedesign became more official and mathematical so developers often design these games with the hopes of getting gamers addicted and invested while they themselves probably spent almost no time playing such games.

UI design is a different category entirely and its not like DUST is any different than whats out there, like I said the linked review is kind of stupid..

Offline Valamyr

• Kindred
  • Antediluvian
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2013, 06:19:39 pm »
Activision/Blizzard fighting dirty?

Waaayyy too risky for way too little payoff, if any.
why would anyone want to attack CCP?

My first thought was that it could very well be players. Imagine, you're about to lose a key portion of nullsec and a few titans, nothing in game can be done in time to twart the enemy fleet, then the Corp leader makes a call to his buddy with a botnet of zombies (a network of computers compromised with malware all around the world) and he tries to bring down the servers to stop it? Slightly far-fetched, but less so than Blizzard trying to bring down a niche title ;)

Offline Radical21

• Antediluvian
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2013, 06:45:50 pm »
and he tries to bring down the servers to stop it? Slightly far-fetched, but less so than Blizzard trying to bring down a niche title ;)

Both theories are equally far fetched, a player bringing down the server can harm business and drive players away from the game entirely, that sort o thing was known to bring down successful titles in the past.
A disgruntled player who got banned is far more likely, even so you have to wonder how he remains undetected if hes alone.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal