collapse

Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Game refuses to use dedicated GPU  (Read 264 times)

Offline Baskakov_Dima

• Fledgling
Game refuses to use dedicated GPU
« on: January 07, 2017, 03:24:01 PM »
Windows 8.1 (64-bit), 8 GB RAM, Core i7 (4 cores), NVidia GeForce GTX 950M

The game doesn't see my laptop dedicated GPU as a graphics device and uses Intel HD Graphics instead. I can't run high resolutions due to that (1024x700 was the best thing I got) and can't use dinamic lighting since Intel HD Graphics doesn't seem to support it. I am in the beginning, in the mine, and I can't see anything even if I try to use a torch. I tried spawning a flashlight and a flare -- nothing changed. I tried switching the game manually to usage of GPU, using GPU is a general setting on my PC -- didn't work.

I also tried to turn HD graphics off -- it didn't help, game just refuses to start and crashes even before the video intro.

Other games seem to run on GPU.

Also two starting videos are very laggy.

All the problems are present in both unmodded version from GOG.com and Age Of Redemption mod.

Thanks in advance.

Offline samspin

• Administratrix
  • Neonate
Re: Game refuses to use dedicated GPU
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2017, 11:53:59 PM »
It sounds like you have a newer laptop that has "switchable graphics".  What model is your laptop?
You mentioned your laptop has a discrete NVIDIA card, this support document might help (it is on Lenovo's help site, but it guides through NVIDIA's control panel).
https://support.lenovo.com/gb/en/documents/ht078706

As I know, the only other way to force legacy games to use the discrete graphics card is to disable integrated graphics completely. This could be either by going into Device Manager and right-click disabling the default Intel HD Graphics, or by restarting the laptop and entering the BIOS options to see if there is an option to manually select the NVIDIA card as default. I do happen to have a "switchable graphics" laptop in the form of a Macbook Pro, unfortunately in my case the default graphics is always set to NVIDIA anyway when booting Windows, as only macOS supports the switchable graphics (in my case Intel HD Graphics is always invisible to Windows, only visible to macOS). Therefore I can't investigate any further unless I know what specific model laptop you have. Please let me know if any of this info helps.
EDIT: This thread on AutoDesk's site talks through disabling Intel HD Graphics via the BIOS http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/hardware/disabling-nvidia-optimus-amp-perform-clean-install/td-p/4363279 and mentions that the name of this "switchable graphics" is called NVIDIA Optimus.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 11:57:44 PM by samspin »

* Game Files