Recent Posts

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10
Bloodlines Modding / Re: World War 2 Mod
« Last post by Gurkhal on August 14, 2018, 02:12:22 PM »
Here's a question on progression. I'm on the destroyer "Savage" and have made my way down to the bottom of the ship and found the way to the "exit" with three suits for underwater action hanging to the right of it. But given the lack of hints from the mission log, I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do now. I've looked around and tried to interact with some stuff but nothing wants to interact with me.

Help would be appreciated.
Bloodlines Modding / Re: Bloodlines HD project phase 1
« Last post by Wesp5 on August 14, 2018, 01:25:12 PM »
nope, just tired of having people attempt to explain the basics of texturing over and over and the "oh no don't change anything" attitude from wesp every time I mention something.

I helped you whereever I could and only wanted to give you a warning that your HD project seems to me to move off the rails towards a complete overhaul of the game which is fine to me if you label it as such. I still remember the "patch wars" when I dared to restore unused stuff and kept labeling it a "patch" so you should be aware that people might react in a similar way. Just call it appropriately and everything should be fine :)!
« Last post by krispy on August 14, 2018, 11:44:50 AM »
nope, just tired of having people attempt to explain the basics of texturing over and over and the "oh no don't change anything" attitude from wesp every time I mention something.

No "Take my toys and go home" attitude. Never implied that either. the reading between lines that do not exist in this forum is a bit offputting. Just have no desire to be have my hobby "mansplained" to me over and over or be scoffed at when I mention a sensible change with no effect to gameplsy at all. when it comes to what I know and don't know, if I don't ask a question, means there was no question to "answer". In fact sort of makes it a dick move. like if I tried explaining patching a game to Werner.

I think this community sees more than it's fair share of abandoned projects due to the "ownership" many fans feel of the games contents combined with the toxicity and catty nature of the community. This comes from reading many posts in this form and on steam.

Note several other old games still have lively mod communities and larger bases of mods to choose from for more reasons than "VtMB is hard to mod".

I have no plans to cease work on my mod, but I also have no plans to post updates on here when the stress caused by it outweighs benefits.

Modding is not fun when people take it upon themselves to seemingly intentionally suck the fun out of it, so it only makes sense to avoid the constant condescending attitude or "don't change anything!" the 2 experts on here seem to always have going on when they respond to me simply observing a lack of realism in one area or another, or posting a work in progress pic because I appreciate the changes I have made visually and simply wish to share what the game could look like with work.

Don't like it, take the years needed to become a skilled digital artist and make your own graphics mod. I simply wanted to share my passion and art with people who may appreciate it. some have more than others obviously. that said I'll post to the deviantart occasionally and upload to planet vampire when finished for anyone who wants it should I ever finish it.

P.S. California wildfires have been an issue my whole life and further back than that. a record rain for cali is a joke everywhere but new mexico and arizona.
« Last post by Signothorn on August 14, 2018, 09:33:19 AM »
krispy,

I can kind of understand your frustration with taking feedback while perusing a large scale project, but I think you could handle it better. We're a community that supports and has supported Bloodlines since it launched, and some of us since Redemption in 2000. If you ask for support from the community, those people also have every right to voice their opinions. You seem to use people for tech support, but can't look past critiques and take offense when people take offense when it's something you didn't ask about, or think they are getting in the way of your vision, wasting your time. You seem to be the type of person who likes to see people as useful tools, but I feel people will want to help you less in the future if you can't allow these same people to express their feelings on the project. They are contributors who normally work together and put up with each other despite differences in language, culture, personality types ect. We're a community, and that's how communities work. I think you may be mistaking us for a simple tech support forum, and taking the "I'm going to take my toys and go home" approach instead of working through these things is often how these kinds of projects die.

As a community, we've seen this over and over through the years, and people here aren't afraid of seeing it happen anymore. The work you're doing is great, but people who see new projects of large scope come up, usually set their expectations pretty low of it ever being completed, but also have urgency to help the person succeed at the same time. We are passionate people who love this game, and I doubt people, especially people you have consulted for help, are going to walk on egg shells to protect your feelings about it. You're actually wasting energy getting upset about it when you can't look past these things setting you off.
« Last post by Wesp5 on August 14, 2018, 09:10:18 AM »
I do not code. I make art. does not mean I deserve to be talked down to and have the basics of what I do "explained" to me more than once by multiple people in the same topic.

Nobody is talking you down. Besides the language barrier for Psycho-A and me and probably others, I bet some didn't read all of this thread and even then it might be hard to judge what you know or don't know...
« Last post by IanW on August 14, 2018, 04:27:16 AM »
I started looking at decompiling and recompiling santa monica to keep the rain, then realized it's california. . . It rarely ever rains there. looked up average rainfall and number of days per year it rains there on average.

Suffice to say it would be one of like, 20 days in the year when it rains.

As visually striking as it is anyone who has spent time in Cali or thinks about the number of months out of every year cali is engulfed with wildfires reported on the news the rain makes very little sense.

The rash of wildfires California's been experiencing are a more recent phenomenon. Obviously the fires have always been a thing, but not to the degree they've been the last few years.

2004 actually had an abnormally high amount of rainfall, missing the record for highest recorded annual rainfall by just 0.93 inches. It was almost 2.5 times the rainfall average for the 1970-2000 period.

« Last post by krispy on August 14, 2018, 12:51:52 AM »
I never even implied that I was cutting the rain due to issues, or cutting it at all. I simply stated that it being there is like having snow in a game set in Texas or blizzards in the mojave desert. Yes it snows there but not often enough to have it as a sporadic part of a game set there. It rains in the santa monica map like it does in washington state. a place I live famous for the amount of rain. therefore even if I had an "issue" preventing it, then that would oddly actually ground it in the reality of historically famous weather patterns.

you keep freaking out every time I say something about stuff that SHOULD be changed without ever worrying about if it SHOULD be changed. I would not begin to try correcting you on if a game set in germany had inaccurate weather, that would be silly. California is famously dry and I have spent a good amount of time there to vouch for it.

Psycho-A you miss the point of what I was saying to begin with, I know you put the SDK together. That was the entire basis of that as a comparison. You explaining textures to me is like me explaining the sdk to you. As we both know our respective topics fairly well neither explanation makes sense or even needs to happen.

I have not been condescending in any way and simply would appreciate the same basic courtesy.

Okay so the shader I am used to from other work may not be working. That does not change that explaining what I'm doing, to me, is condescending to say the least. To be fair I put it on there at the same time I did spec and normal maps but all you had to do was say "sadly it's not in this version but I'm glad the extraneous info in the VMT didn't cause issues" or any number of other things. instead it's got to be condescending.

phong came into use in gaming around the year 2000 and functions in later versions so it is not unreasonable to assume an engine which came out after it was in common use may implement it especially based on the dev wiki.

I do not code. I make art. does not mean I deserve to be talked down to and have the basics of what I do "explained" to me more than once by multiple people in the same topic.

this forum is less than conducive to showing work in progress so I'll stick to coming back if I have tech questions.

Have a lovely day getlemen sorry to have upset you with my modding in any way.
« Last post by Wesp5 on August 13, 2018, 11:10:04 PM »
I started looking at decompiling and recompiling santa monica to keep the rain, then realized it's california. . . It rarely ever rains there. looked up average rainfall and number of days per year it rains there on average.

Wait, you gonna cut the rain just because it's hard to do in Hammer with the explanation that it rarely rains in LA? This is deviating more and more from the original! If you can't get the rain to work, ask Psycho-A...
« Last post by Psycho-A on August 13, 2018, 10:41:54 PM »
lol I mean using the ambient occlusion commands with a black and white ambient occlusion map to determine further how light and shadow work together on a texture. these have been supported since the VtmB version of this engine as I am currently using them with visible difference already.

"$AmbientOcclTexture"    
"$ambientocclusion" "1"

That's funny, because game REALLY hasn't support of this (as well as Phong lighting), and I'm talking you this as the SDK developer who know all shaders game uses :) All this stuff just came with Source 2006 and 2007 and never been before earlier. I even specially made code-level search for your question now, and NO even any mentioning of ambient occlusion or phong as in engine binaries, as in compiled shaders too. And that's what I was talking about from start of time. All you see as "improvements" for this, might be just lighting inaccuracy on compiling or selecting camera's corners, or even just optical illusion. Please, make two comparsion screenshots where the ambient occlusion stuff is On, and other is Off, using the quite same player look and position. I'm pretty sure there won't be any difference.
« Last post by krispy on August 13, 2018, 09:44:21 PM »
the drug box in game is labeled hydrochlorothiazide 50 mg tb (tablets)! bwahahahaha that's a diuretic. Trip gives you a discount for pills that won't get him high but will simply make him piss a lot!!!! that shit is great. was going to put something like Hydrocodone on it til I noticed that. Now I don't want to change it.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10