* Notice

Important notice: From 20/12/2017 (after a server change) Microsoft had been blocking email from PlanetVampire.com. If you have a Hotmail, Outlook, or Live.com email address (or have been trying to message a member with such an email address) your messages might not have got through. You may also have been unable to receive password reset/activation emails. As of 31/01/2018: our server's new IP address, previously used by a spammer, has been unblocked. You may wish to try again if you have been having problems.

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Bloodlines Modding / Re: Icicle's MOON MOD Thread.
« Last post by Icicle-Baphomet on April 21, 2018, 10:18:49 PM »
oops. permissions granted to all to use it.
Off Topic / Re: Bloodline Vampirism
« Last post by darkgodslair on April 21, 2018, 01:12:30 PM »
But this is different. You are creating a new game similar to Bloodlines for free in a newer engine. If this would end up better or at least as good as the original game it would hurt the original game sales, so of course any company will shut you down. See Project Vaulderie!

And regarding the IP, I think the vampire game "Dark", which is discussed here elsewhere, did indeed have to change obvious copy cat names like "Obfuscation" and other power disciplines to something different before it was released. So if you come too close you get problems...

Yes, you are right, I am creating a new game. However, already now it is very different from the bloodlines game. Maybe I wasn't clear enough, but I don't want to copy bloodlines. I just want to capture the "feeling" of the game, which I might succeed in or not.

I can give you some insight in, what I already did. For example the hacking feature, which I already stated before is vastly different from theirs. There is no ground for them to legaly get me.

I finished the ground functionality of the main menu, which just has hovering highlighting, some random fading background images and a title placeholder. Difficult to do something there too, because that is pretty much the standard functionality of most main menues. I didn't do the horizontal sliding background text, but instead I have a faint jittering text in the background. It will also get some level background.

Then I have the character selection screen, which doesn't need a loading screen and will have a real level based background. I didn't use any of bloodlines names, descriptions or terms. I have drop down lists, yes, but they can hardly be copyrighted, because it is a standard functionality nowadays (especially in browsers). It also has a completely different layout and has extra sliders for more customization (Fitness, Age, Height).

I am really sad, what happened with Project Vaulderie. However it is exactly this kind of behaviour what I despise the most from companies.
And honestly: I would be flattered, if I would have the ability to hurt their sales :). That would mean I did a good job.

That's also exactly the reason, why I am paying so much attention to the legal side of things. I want to build a framework for other people.

So what the project will end up with will NOT be bloodlines at all, just to be clear. I am just after the feeling this game gave me, because I frankly think a copy of it wouldn't work nowadays :).

So I hope my universe will be expanded by other people, so we have a really nice vampire collection going on a again. My goal is it to repopulate the vamp games and give people tools to do so. So it is in fact also an egoistical thing, because I want to play, what other people created, based on my template :).
« Last post by Wesp5 on April 21, 2018, 09:49:58 AM »
HOWEVER, normally the modders scene acts out of passion and doesn't try to commercialize a project. So there is essentially no harm.

As far as I know, the modding scene has never been a problem when they mod an existing game with the same engine which indeed increases the original game sale numbers. See my patch and any other Bloodlines mod as proof. Activision, CCP and Paradox never cared!

The intention behind it is also to give it away for free and maybe make it to a community driven project, where mods and such can be loaded without repercussions or legal BS.

But this is different. You are creating a new game similar to Bloodlines for free in a newer engine. If this would end up better or at least as good as the original game it would hurt the original game sales, so of course any company will shut you down. See Project Vaulderie!

And regarding the IP, I think the vampire game "Dark", which is discussed here elsewhere, did indeed have to change obvious copy cat names like "Obfuscation" and other power disciplines to something different before it was released. So if you come too close you get problems...
« Last post by darkgodslair on April 20, 2018, 11:10:55 PM »
Thanks for the motivating words, shadow :).

Well maybe it is difficult for people to understand, where I am coming from. So I will tell a little bit about my adventure in terms of modding.

I mainly modded RTS games, but also some FPS and Third person action games. I've seen people literally creating mods, which would totally change the game it was based on and some game developers actually embraced them (no pun intended^^).
Modding was fun for me and is for a lot of other people, however there are ALWAYS publishers/game developers, who throw a wrench towards the modding scene. I can understand it, when they want to protect their IP, but it should be nowadays common sense that the modding scene extends a games life in a MAJOR way.
Nintendo is a prime example of being a nightmare for modders and bethesda being the opposite.

But honestly: I don't like it. Modders always need to tiptoe around and dance the lawyer's waltz, which is frankly unneeded. If a mod is commercialized, it is totally okay too sue the individuals out of their boots. HOWEVER, normally the modders scene acts out of passion and doesn't try to commercialize a project. So there is essentially no harm.
Still companies try to shut down major mods, which ironically would sell THEIR GAME even more. So I don't have a problem with them protecting their IP's, but rather I am concerned that they've lost their common sense.

I just find it sad that really good mods, with a LOT of talented people falling flat on their faces. Relic for example recruited their staff from the modding scene partly, which is just fantastic.

The thing is this: I made my homework on this legal BS. In my modding years I always had to keep an eye open on this legal stuff and what I do is LITERALLY something new. The intention behind it is also to give it away for free and maybe make it to a community driven project, where mods and such can be loaded without repercussions or legal BS.
So I am basicly trying to create something, which is in between a modder and a game developer. I'm basicly trying to create a project, where a modder can BE a modder without having to worry about legal stuff.

Naturally I need to make some licensing conditions, for example that the assets and the template can't be sold or commercialized. It has nothing to do with me actually, but rather about asset flippers and scammers not being able to sell my stuff. Now the cool thing is: If someone WANTS to
commercialize their contribution or even mod, they can just ask me and I will probably allow it, if they modified the template enough. People with effort will definitely meet this goal in a blink of an eye.

I hope the wall of text makes sense :).
Bloodlines Games General Discussion / Re: What aspect of VTMB did you disliked?
« Last post by Florence on April 20, 2018, 10:21:43 PM »
There is not much clan specificity.
Only for Malks...
A shame to the clan.
Doesn't know how to behave.
Bloodlines Modding / Re: Argikt mod final version...
« Last post by Florence on April 20, 2018, 10:16:46 PM »
This is so exciting!
I just had a quick check over Hollywood and it looks great
I have been waiting for new maps for long
Now it is ready for a new story!

Only two questions though

1)How can I solve the lag issue? (Some adjustments maybe?)

2) And when I enter an area it says "Node out of graphs" or something like that, how can I fix that?

Plus I was wondering how to install CQM
I mean do I need to find 9.2 and install first or UP comes with CQM installer?

1) In my PC is experimented a very little initial lag after the map upload, nothing more, but perhaps is a common problem, I think I have a high-end perfomance machine.

2) Do don't need to install 9.2, because CQM 3.1.2 is done over this version.

I hope you enjoy the mod and can forgive the bugs... was my first mod...  :smile:

Thank you for the reply
Once I play the whole game I will comment again
And I saw that some characters do not have voices, in such case if you need a woman character voice in the future I would be happy to help  :smile:
I can not wait to role play whole mod :irritated:
Best of luck!
« Last post by The Shadow Man on April 20, 2018, 09:58:39 PM »
Well of course people have different tastes, I hope my little rant wasn't in bad taste. I didn't mind the look of Dark though I'd have gone for another look personally, my issue was more with the gameplay. I don't really like all stealth games (I really value player choice) but the stealth mechanics were poor as has been said by others and the powers do little to help. I felt that the club, had an Asylum-ish vibe. The storyline was ok but not amazing, the stuff with the Angel was the most interesting bit in my opinion.

It's an interesting little project you have got going and I'd love to see it work out but I've been hurt before. I wish all the luck in the world. I hope you are right and its different enough for them not to attempt to sue, at least to have realistic claim to do so.
« Last post by Wesp5 on April 20, 2018, 07:48:45 PM »
I hope you enjoy the mod and can forgive the bugs... was my first mod...  :smile:

I can explain the Node error, this happens if you don't distribute the graphs/mapname.ain file. In that case the game rebuilds it once and afterwards everything will be fine!
« Last post by argikt on April 20, 2018, 04:53:04 PM »
This is so exciting!
I just had a quick check over Hollywood and it looks great
I have been waiting for new maps for long
Now it is ready for a new story!

Only two questions though

1)How can I solve the lag issue? (Some adjustments maybe?)

2) And when I enter an area it says "Node out of graphs" or something like that, how can I fix that?

Plus I was wondering how to install CQM
I mean do I need to find 9.2 and install first or UP comes with CQM installer?

1) In my PC is experimented a very little initial lag after the map upload, nothing more, but perhaps is a common problem, I think I have a high-end perfomance machine.

2) Do don't need to install 9.2, because CQM 3.1.2 is done over this version.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10