Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Cellphone cameras and internet pix were around since late 90's. Social media and smartphones are clearly overestimated. The former and public opinion could be easily manipulated or controlled. Nothing essential was changed since Modern Nights.

Exactly. Just look at all the fake news problems, especially in the US. People have better technology but a lot have not been getting more intelligent, rather the other way around with all these oligarchs being elected...
Bloodlines Modding / Re: World War 2 Mod
« Last post by argikt on Today at 07:29:50 AM »
I will show you some more screenshots...

1- Dan garage (portsmouth)
2- Seafood restaurant (portsmouth)
3- Prince Villon Mansion (Paris)
4- The Cabaret (Paris)
5- Savage destroyer (portsmouth)

:vampsmile:
Cellphone cameras and internet pix were around since late 90's. Social media and smartphones are clearly overestimated. The former and public opinion could be easily manipulated or controlled. Nothing essential was changed since Modern Nights.
Bloodlines Modding / Re: HD retexture project W.I.P. w/ normal mapping
« Last post by krispy on Today at 03:34:45 AM »
Nice work, krispy!

Perhaps you've been waiting for my help before, but I couldn't be reach your work and this forum during my current state - sorry about that...
However, I am alive, and now just wanted to say a couple words about your project.

1) I had no time to read all topic, so can you tell me, will your mod be compatible with others, including future patches, and what "base" you're using for your works (vanilla game or latest Wesp patch)?

2) If you don't plan to save compatibility, and just doing standalone mod, then using $basetexturetransform and $bumptransform is bad behavoir - you just can decompile maps and tweak texture scales on the brush faces, as it guarantees better compatibility to all texture masks like bump and specular. As you could know, the model's UV textures don't need any scaling works at all (they always use relative stretching).

3) Also, recompiling maps can help getting rid of cumemaps issues, included vmts inside bsp, and allows to make bump maps on the textures that haven't them before (if you insert new bumpmap on already compiled bsp, you can get bugs with totally dark or flickering surfaces, because all existing bump maps are considered during compiling bsp).

4) I think most of your textures have lack of macro-detail. I mean, the original textures had better shadow, ambient and relief elements, and all signs of destruction looked more volumetric and solid, while your ones looks more flat and pale. It looks like they're just "color" texture and needed some auxiliary masks like macro-detail and deep normal maps. Since the game engine can't produce ambient occlusion and detail masks, the manual drawing of these effects is necessity. Or use more "photographic" textures where all these effects kept (you can find some free on CGTextures). Please consider this, if you want more realism.

5) You can keep some original textures but detail them with hi-res bump maps with high volumes and details (e.g. 512x512 standard texture and 2048x2048 bumpmap). Sometimes it gives very good result even without basetexture replacement. Scaling these bumpmaps in vmts don't required in this case, as the bump and specular masks automatically fits the original texture. Considering this, you don't need to resize most of specular masks too ($envmapmask's textures), as they not have some visible effect in most cases. For making well-looking bump maps I'd advice to use SSBump Generator or Crazy Bump tools which uses multiple detailing layers.

6) HD textures is good for current age, but not very good without more detailed shadows :). If you're working with decompiled maps, you need to reduce "Lightmap Scale" of visible surfaces (walls, floors, brush objects) at least twice (from 16 to 8), or even better fourfold (to 4). It will increase compiling time and RAM usage during this, but will get shadows more sharp and natural where it's needed. Also, there are lots of static models on maps which have shadows disabled. You need to find them and turn shadows on. I wanted to do all these work myself when the final UP released, as I'm good in all these nuances, but now I have no time for this. If you're interested this work, you can try do it yourself, or just wait for me when you finish with textures (but still can't promise certainly).

7) Always watch the lighting sources in Hammer (light, light_spot) which placed close or inside prop_static models (e.g. lamp inside of chandelier). If static model have shadows enabled, and light entity's origin overlaps model's volume, there will be lighting bugs on compiled map, like totally dark or partial lighted area (I already noticed some like this on your screenshots). To avoid this, you need to disable shadows of surrounded static model, or just move light entity's origin beyond the model's volume. Another way is to replace prop_static with prop_dynamic keeping shadows on (but shadows will be different).

8) Using 2048x2048 and 4096x4096 textures everywhere can soon bring old game engine down with memory overflowing. Try to use smaller sizes anywhere it's possible if no sufficient visual quality worsening. Using 64-bit exe patch can help a little, but it's not a panacea.

Hope I could help you with this information...

1:  Burgermeister01 has said the CQM could be ported to my recompiled maps with textures (and if my mod works without bugs would) outside of people porting to use these maps it will not be compatible with other mods which alter any maps I need to recompile. Recompiling to fix texture bugs and such. it is currently built on UP10 and I plan to update with newer patches as they are released.

using the $basetexturetransform and such was so it would be compatible with things like Burgermeister's hub in CQM with minimal effort from him.

2:   the $basetexturetransform command takes care of textures in maps I have yet to work on which use these same textures whereas using the brush face scaling option means working through every map with that texture one bit at a time does it not?

3:  Already figured this bit out, thank you though!

4:that is indeed what normal maps are for, but I can not apply them until I know every time a texture appears on any map. For example if I bump map the hallway floor, I need to know every map that texture is on just to decompile and recompile. So normal mapping the game is phase 2, after I do the base textures. I'm using spec and phong reflections in my work but haven't even finished the first map fully. what has been released was simply to have others check for things like misaligned pixels or bugs involving other maps where these textures look wrong.

rather than trying to make exact HD replicas of the originals I'm trying to bring the damage visuals and such into the real world more than old games like this one tended to.  They have over the top damage that looks like a cartoon version of a movie prop in many cases where I am going more for something you would actually see in Santa Monica. These textures are all made from photos of the actual surfaces I am imitating unlike the original textures which seem to be a mix of hand done comic book looking stuff and photos. so my damage is completely spot on where there's is. . . wrong and unrealistic for what one actually sees IRL. In my opinion.

so. . . these are going to stay only color with specular maps until phase 2 when I do normal maps.

5: highly unlikely I would do this since it's about me enjoying making the textures.

6:  good to know! I will start messing around with this!

7:  the lighting bugs present are from vanilla and Wesp5 started in about moving the light at all being more than a retexture should do. good to know how to fix some of them! thank you!

8: I have some 1k textures too where it works visually.

I'm with Wesp5 on joining forces for the ultimate visual overhaul, and agree that a way to do a texture only release for compatibility would be best. just not sure how to fix some of these issues that have been present such as pawnwndwb ignoring VMT's until a recompile.

Having worked on left 4 dead 2 retextures extensively I am familiar with making decent normal and specular maps, the later source engine seems to process adding normal maps without recompiling so early on when I named the topic I was hopeful. Now it would take someone like yourself assisting at the very least to normal map the whole game since decompiling and recompiling is needed for each map once I add them.

I would like to take my time spent in california over the years and use it for a Mojave desert hub map eventually. Maybe California City near borax bill's.

I just realized., these are made for a custom sweet fx enb combo so they may look. . . off on anyone else's setup. I need to post those presets.

it works on shadows and lighting in addition to the AA from each. I may have messed with color a bit too. don't recall. days were spent tweaking with my settings to get it looking great everywhere though. Improves vanilla stuff drastically IMO.
Modify message

I find the criticism to support ratio this mod gets unpleasant. But thanks for both I guess guys.
« Last post by MasterVampire on Today at 12:19:24 AM »
I fought in ww2 you know .

I have memories from another life.

The real question is how long the masquerade will last, since the kindred is bound to be discovered by the majority sooner rather than later.
In my humble opinion, since I lack the statistical information on the current numbers of sect devotees, I think that the kindred is getting too reckless. Camarilla is to my knowledge crumbling at a considerable pace, anarchs are a loose bunch and the Sabat, is well, Sabat. Maybe I will be harshly judged for this, but I would like WoD to have a definite end, since no masquerade can go on forever - if we apply the whole system of degradation to kindred as a whole, there must come a point of "global withering" when the blood becomes to weak to survive. Adding artificial length to the universe would be counter-productive in my opinion.

The Masquerade will fail, it is inevitable due to progress of technology and media of the humanity. The real question is how the Kindred across the planet will respond to this. I am sure many can actually make lucrative deals with governments across the world. For example, the Camarilla could help strengthen the NATO, the EU as a bulwark against the other political entities of the world.
« Last post by IanW on July 19, 2018, 11:33:17 PM »
Interesting! Seems to be based on the Downtown map, but I see a lot of recognizable segments from all sorts of other Bloodlines maps. I look forward to seeing more.
« Last post by Wesp5 on July 19, 2018, 07:56:09 PM »
Hi Psycho-A, it's good to see you are alive and back :)! Can you still update the Russian translation for the UP 10.0? People are asking for it and some already suggested to do it themselves, when you don't want to do it. Of course you could do it better and faster with all your patching knowledge ;).

Speaking of which, do you have an easy texture-only fix for the pawnshop haven window bug shown in this thread? Because while decompiling and recompiling the maps would probably be the perfect solution, I doubt krispy could do this without help of a professional like yourself as I suspect there are multiple maps where this doesn't work without a lot of additional editing! I know you planned to add more details yourself, so I would suggest that you and krispy and IanW join forces on the ultimate Bloodlines HD mod which takes time. Until then it would be cool to get a pure texture mod!
Bloodlines Modding / World War 2 Mod
« Last post by argikt on July 19, 2018, 07:03:14 PM »
Hello people!

I would like to present to you a new mod in the making, it is a big total conversion of the game like the Bloodlines Prelude will be. Shadow Man, Mamita and myself have been working on it since January. Also I want to thank Wesp5 for beta testing and for helping me with some of the bugs.

What will it be?
It's an entirely new story, playing in Europe during the year of 1943.

What will it have?
The first version that will be released will have 15 quests and 50 maps!

When will it be out?
I hope next month. (Wesp5: I guess that will be an alpha or beta. ;)

I like to show you gameplay from the Paris map (no spoilers in the video):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIIUmlU7ByM&t=13s

:vampsmile:

(edited by Wesp5 to improve the language)
« Last post by Psycho-A on July 19, 2018, 06:35:16 PM »
Nice work, krispy!

Perhaps you've been waiting for my help before, but I couldn't be reach your work and this forum during my current state - sorry about that...
However, I am alive, and now just wanted to say a couple words about your project.

1) I had no time to read all topic, so can you tell me, will your mod be compatible with others, including future patches, and what "base" you're using for your works (vanilla game or latest Wesp patch)?

2) If you don't plan to save compatibility, and just doing standalone mod, then using $basetexturetransform and $bumptransform is bad behavoir - you just can decompile maps and tweak texture scales on the brush faces, as it guarantees better compatibility to all texture masks like bump and specular. As you could know, the model's UV textures don't need any scaling works at all (they always use relative stretching).

3) Also, recompiling maps can help getting rid of cumemaps issues, included vmts inside bsp, and allows to make bump maps on the textures that haven't them before (if you insert new bumpmap on already compiled bsp, you can get bugs with totally dark or flickering surfaces, because all existing bump maps are considered during compiling bsp).

4) I think most of your textures have lack of macro-detail. I mean, the original textures had better shadow, ambient and relief elements, and all signs of destruction looked more volumetric and solid, while your ones looks more flat and pale. It looks like they're just "color" texture and needed some auxiliary masks like macro-detail and deep normal maps. Since the game engine can't produce ambient occlusion and detail masks, the manual drawing of these effects is necessity. Or use more "photographic" textures where all these effects kept (you can find some free on CGTextures). Please consider this, if you want more realism.

5) You can keep some original textures but detail them with hi-res bump maps with high volumes and details (e.g. 512x512 standard texture and 2048x2048 bumpmap). Sometimes it gives very good result even without basetexture replacement. Scaling these bumpmaps in vmts don't required in this case, as the bump and specular masks automatically fits the original texture. Considering this, you don't need to resize most of specular masks too ($envmapmask's textures), as they not have some visible effect in most cases. For making well-looking bump maps I'd advice to use SSBump Generator or Crazy Bump tools which uses multiple detailing layers.

6) HD textures is good for current age, but not very good without more detailed shadows :). If you're working with decompiled maps, you need to reduce "Lightmap Scale" of visible surfaces (walls, floors, brush objects) at least twice (from 16 to 8), or even better fourfold (to 4). It will increase compiling time and RAM usage during this, but will get shadows more sharp and natural where it's needed. Also, there are lots of static models on maps which have shadows disabled. You need to find them and turn shadows on. I wanted to do all these work myself when the final UP released, as I'm good in all these nuances, but now I have no time for this. If you're interested this work, you can try do it yourself, or just wait for me when you finish with textures (but still can't promise certainly).

7) Always watch the lighting sources in Hammer (light, light_spot) which placed close or inside prop_static models (e.g. lamp inside of chandelier). If static model have shadows enabled, and light entity's origin overlaps model's volume, there will be lighting bugs on compiled map, like totally dark or partial lighted area (I already noticed some like this on your screenshots). To avoid this, you need to disable shadows of surrounded static model, or just move light entity's origin beyond the model's volume. Another way is to replace prop_static with prop_dynamic keeping shadows on (but shadows will be different).

8) Using 2048x2048 and 4096x4096 textures everywhere can soon bring old game engine down with memory overflowing. Try to use smaller sizes anywhere it's possible if no sufficient visual quality worsening. Using 64-bit exe patch can help a little, but it's not a panacea.

Hope I could help you with this information...
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10