Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Would Project Vaulderie be possible now with Dark Pack?  (Read 2043 times)

Offline ngppgn

• Fledgling
Would Project Vaulderie be possible now with Dark Pack?
« on: October 10, 2017, 02:45:14 PM »
I've recently found this: http://www.white-wolf.com/pdf/dark-pact.pdf

Do you guys think it'd be possible now to resume the Project Vaulderie, from a legal standpoint?

Are the devs of said project still around here?

(also if there's another board better suited for this post, I'd humbly ask the mods to move it accordingly).

Offline The Shadow Man

• Antediluvian
Re: Would Project Vaulderie be possible now with Dark Pack?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2017, 06:58:20 PM »
I would like to be so but I fear that it will not be so. Project Valuderie always seemed like it would make the ultimate version of Bloodlines, bring it forward to modern capacity while encapsulating all that was good about it originally. I fear the Project was a dream that will never come to pass.

Offline atrblizzard

• Administratrix
  • Methuselah
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2017, 09:51:57 AM »
Sadly that wouldn't be nearly enough because Activision owns the full rights to the game. And yes, the whole idea for Vaulderie was to be the definite version of Bloodlines, a complete game as Troika envisioned but didn't get to make. Full modding and a rich multiplayer would have been only one of the features implemented.

All I can say is we tried numerous times but with no avail, hence the long radio silence from us. I can't comment more on the specifics, other than we didn't want to break anyone's heart. It's safe to say it'll be staying in torpor for good.

Offline Ansset

• Fledgling
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2017, 07:51:42 PM »
Hi !

Maybe i'm not the first to ask this (and i'm sorry if some people will do answer again this type of question) but you really can't transform all your work into a mod o various mods (model of menu, quality textures or even these awesome posters) ? :o

This is such a waste to throw all these amazing stuff... :c

Offline caca_brillant

• Fledgling
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2018, 03:19:56 AM »
I think at some point assets were being converted on Unity.. But it looks like it's not enough to avoid Activision.

Offline Another Wizard

• Fledgling
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2018, 07:00:22 PM »
I think at some point assets were being converted on Unity.. But it looks like it's not enough to avoid Activision.
It's worth noting it was CCP the previous rights holder, not Activision who C&D'd Project Vaulderie. Historically the reason companies have done this is because they have a project in the works themselves they are planning to release. (CCP was going to make a vampire mmorpg, which failed and caused them to sell the IP. Nintendo C&D'd rom sites suspiciously close to them releasing an emulation service on the Nintendo Switch. 3D Realms C&D'd all attempts at remaking Duke Nukem 3D while Duke Nukem Forever was in development. etc) I think it would be worth pursuing correspondence with the current rights holder to the VtM IP Paradox if they'd be willing to let a Unity port of the game through.

Since most likely Activision would be significantly less likely to attempt to pursue legal action on a game they lost money on if the current rights holder OKs it.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 07:11:07 PM by Another Wizard »

Offline Wesp5

• Administratrix
  • Antediluvian
  • Unofficial Patcher
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2018, 08:22:03 PM »
I think it would be worth pursuing correspondence with the current rights holder to the VtM IP Paradox if they'd be willing to let a Unity port of the game through.

Atrblizzard, the guy behind Vaulderie, tried exactly that and failed! Main reason is that a lot of the content is kind of in a limbo state between Paradox and Activision. Also I think it's rather optimistic to believe a fan team could remake the whole game in a reasonable time frame! Just look at Black Mesa, probably the best known fan remake around. It took years and still isn't finished and HL was only a simple linear shooter...
« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 08:23:52 PM by Wesp5 »

Offline xMirage

• Fledgling
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2018, 08:35:57 AM »
Just found out about this after getting an itch to mod VtMB. I wonder though, would it not be possible to release some content if everything isn't possible? Like the modding toolkit for example. To open up modding to a wider variety of people.

Offline Wesp5

• Administratrix
  • Antediluvian
  • Unofficial Patcher
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2018, 11:40:49 AM »
Like the modding toolkit for example. To open up modding to a wider variety of people.

I would guess the Vaulderie toolkit was just the Unity Engine toolkit. If you are looking to mod Bloodlines, everything you need is included in the Unofficial SDK which you can find here or on the ModDB...

Offline argikt

• Methuselah
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2018, 09:35:31 AM »
I think that Artblizzard asked for a permission that noone told the project needs.
I doubt paradox noticed this project...
Of course if they ask for "cease&desist"
« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 03:06:44 PM by Wesp5 »

Offline Wesp5

• Administratrix
  • Antediluvian
  • Unofficial Patcher
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2018, 03:07:46 PM »
I think that Artblizzard asked for a permission that noone told the project needs.

Project Vaulderie was shut down while CCP still had the rights, afterwards Atrblizzard asked Paradox but they couldn't find a deal with Activision who holds the rights of the game itself...