collapse

Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Whatever happened to Chris Avellone?  (Read 1082 times)

Offline Happydeathclaw

• Methuselah
Re: Whatever happened to Chris Avellone?
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2021, 07:04:49 am »
Yeah, sure, evil powerful dreadlord, pfffft

Offline Barabbah

• Antediluvian
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2021, 08:06:36 am »
I will correct myself: IF he did what he was accused for. Very few knows whatever happened.  :undecided:
"Some quotations," said Zellaby, "are greatly improved by lack of context."
― John Wyndham, The Midwich Cuckoos
"fuck the hole in the face"
― me

Offline Happydeathclaw

• Methuselah
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2021, 08:40:59 am »
Last what I saw

At least his niece says he's alive

Misantropy is skyrocketting while observing that sick sad twitter with a sick sad species, better radiation that their "values", *stfu*
« Last Edit: April 17, 2021, 09:07:59 am by Happydeathclaw »

Offline Barabbah

• Antediluvian
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2021, 01:43:16 pm »
We have gone off topic, we already know of the scandal (true or false it is), I was wondering of the next part of this story. Whatever happened to him. But we know even less about it. We'll have to wait for further news....
― me

Offline cyberfloof

• Crazy cat lady extraordinaire
  • Fledgling
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2021, 03:19:58 pm »
but usually when someone takes the trouble and risk of openly outing a harasser or abuser, it's because they've finally gotten fed up.

... or if that worth it.

How often has it ever been worth it though? Usually people who come out about this stuff promptly draw thousands of trolls and shit even when they're obviously telling the truth, plus attacks from tabloids and less credible media. Even on the legal side, it's pretty well demonstrated that courts side with accusers much less often than accused in rape cases.

Like... not gonna say it never happens, but it's pretty fucking stupid to try and e.g. make money off a guy by accusing him of rape. For someone of that kind of mind, it's probably simpler, easier, and more likely to work to just scam the dude.

Offline Talyn82

• Antediluvian
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2021, 11:20:24 pm »
We have gone off topic, we already know of the scandal (true or false it is), I was wondering of the next part of this story. Whatever happened to him. But we know even less about it. We'll have to wait for further news....

He's been canceled, shunned, ostracized from the community.  No publisher/developer would ever hire him again unless they want to be canceled too.  His career is effectively over and no amount of apologizing will appease the mob.  The mob are sharks and Avellone is the bloody corpse thrown into the ocean for them to feed upon.

Offline Happydeathclaw

• Methuselah
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2021, 12:46:40 am »
As long as that fucking mob eagerly relies on hysterical barking of some crazed bitch instead of cold hard facts no one is safe, today Avellone, tomorrow anyone else.

Offline Talyn82

• Antediluvian
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2021, 02:26:35 am »
As long as that fucking mob eagerly relies on hysterical barking of some crazed bitch instead of cold hard facts no one is safe, today Avellone, tomorrow anyone else.

I completely agree 100% with what you posted.  There was another game developer accused of sexual misconduct by a comic book writer, and he was quickly ostracized by his community.  The company he worked for let him go, the so called video game journalists wrote smear campaigns against him.  No one wanted anything to do with him.  It drove him into a deep dark depression that resulted in him taking his life. There was never any proof presented by the "victim" and to this day that bitch still has her job.  I think she works for DC Comics which is woke as hell.  Her name is Zoe Quinn if you want to look up the story.

Offline Barabbah

• Antediluvian
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2021, 07:52:20 am »
What have I done? I shouldn't have opened this topic....
― me

Offline cyberfloof

• Fledgling
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2021, 01:42:39 pm »
Oh Christ, not the G*merG*te shit here too.

Edit:

Quote from: Talyn82
I think she works for DC Comics which is woke as hell.

DC Comics, woke as hell? Excuse me I think I just busted a rib laughing.

Offline fylimar

• Antediluvian
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2021, 04:17:41 pm »
I wasn't sure, if I should say something. But you know, women face sexism and sexual assault every day - I could tell you a peronal story or two (not the really bad stuff, but still situations, I felt really uncomfortable - and where the men in question didn't think, they did anything wrong). Just because you like some game developer or comic artist doesn't mean, that they couldn't be a horrible person. It is hard enough to tell your story about sexual harrassment to the public - there is a lot of shame and fear and anxiety involved, you never shake the feeling of what happened to you.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2021, 04:29:48 pm by fylimar »
“They can keep their heaven. When I die, I’d sooner go to Middle Earth.” ― George R.R. Martin

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."
― Doctor Who

Offline cyberfloof

• Fledgling
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2021, 07:10:25 pm »
Just because you like some game developer or comic artist doesn't mean, that they couldn't be a horrible person.

This. Predators tend to be really good at knowing just how much creepiness any given person will turn a blind eye to. A lot of times when all of a creep's guy friends are like "But he was never that way around me!", that's because he knew to never be that way while those guy friends were present.

Offline Talyn82

• Antediluvian
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2021, 09:56:26 pm »
I wasn't sure, if I should say something. But you know, women face sexism and sexual assault every day - I could tell you a peronal story or two (not the really bad stuff, but still situations, I felt really uncomfortable - and where the men in question didn't think, they did anything wrong). Just because you like some game developer or comic artist doesn't mean, that they couldn't be a horrible person. It is hard enough to tell your story about sexual harrassment to the public - there is a lot of shame and fear and anxiety involved, you never shake the feeling of what happened to you.

I agree with you.  I've heard about the trouble women have convincing the courts that what they say is true, and that most of the time the court sides with the male.  That's messed up I have a mother, sister, and young niece and never want them to be in a situation where a man or woman in authority abuses their power.  I am not saying Chris Avellone is innocent nor am I saying he is guilty.  I'm just saying the mob took it upon themselves to judge and prosecute him without any proof.  In America there is a saying every man and woman is innocent until proven guilty.  Now even though we have that saying not every juror and judge follow it.  But usually Jurors are made to swear an oath to judge fairly.  But that video that was posted here that exonerates Avellone was well done, and the author proved to be more of a journalist than the ones who are actually getting paid.  Have you seen the video the author shows old deleted tweets by the accusers that contradict what they are accusing him of.  It's really done well. 

Offline Talyn82

• Antediluvian
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2021, 10:02:00 pm »
I'm not trying to be an asshole here but this is a legit question what is G*mers G*te?  I've heard this term used before and don't know what it means.  If it's twitter slang that I am not familiar with that term since I don't do social media.  No twitter, no FaceBook, no Instagram don't do any of that stuff.  Infact aside from this forum and the official Elder Scrolls forum I'm pretty much dead to the internet.  If answering my question is to controversial send me a message then.

Offline cyberfloof

• Fledgling
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2021, 11:09:39 pm »
Talyn82, you say

I agree with you.  I've heard about the trouble women have convincing the courts that what they say is true, and that most of the time the court sides with the male.  That's messed up I have a mother, sister, and young niece and never want them to be in a situation where a man or woman in authority abuses their power.

and yet

I completely agree 100% with what you posted.  There was another game developer accused of sexual misconduct by a comic book writer, and he was quickly ostracized by his community.  The company he worked for let him go, the so called video game journalists wrote smear campaigns against him.  No one wanted anything to do with him.  It drove him into a deep dark depression that resulted in him taking his life. There was never any proof presented by the "victim" and to this day that bitch still has her job.

The one has an effect on the other. Part of why powerful people, especially men, can abuse their power so freely is that both the actual courts and the courts of public opinion are stacked against their victims. Who gets to judge what constitutes proof? Who gets to judge whether a woman is a "crazed bitch"? You say you care, but Zoe Quinn is also someone's daughter, someone's sister, someone's cousin. And the women in your life are also imperfect, just as she is. So maybe don't come out swinging and judge us prematurely.

As for Happydeathclaw's comment, all I'm going to say is I'd expect no less from someone with "deathclaw" in their handle.

Edit: I have a hard time believing you don't know the context of G*merG*te after mentioning Zoe Quinn, but if you honestly don't, check here. Basically it was a huge harassment campaign. Started with gamer dudes being big mad about gamer gals having opinions, and pretty much ended with a bunch of trolls getting a self-admitted rapist and white nationalist elected POTUS.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2021, 11:16:37 pm by cyberfloof »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal