collapse

Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: There is a Song/Video in Your Head...  (Read 63900 times)

Offline Raving_Neonate

• Rave.Period.
  • Antediluvian
  • Raving somewhere....
Re: There is a Song/Video in Your Head...
« Reply #930 on: October 18, 2018, 07:20:30 PM »
Me: "I love lollipops!"
WoD ST: "We don't allow lollipops, because we are too dark!"

Offline Barabbah

• Antediluvian
« Reply #931 on: October 21, 2018, 08:29:15 PM »

https://vimeo.com/296302409

Joey Kramer of Aerosmith - Crazy drum solo (Live in Hollywood, April 17, 1988)

3:30 fire estinguisher
4:15 drumming himself
4:30 drumming the stage
5:18 drumming the sidewalk
5:55 drumming his head
7:20 yelling at the crowd
8:30 drumming WITH his head (and his fists)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2018, 08:30:46 PM by Barabbah »
The sarcophagus is a lie!

Offline Barabbah

• Antediluvian
« Reply #932 on: October 27, 2018, 07:41:30 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7s8PHnCTGI

Attila (only album of the namesake Billy Joel's psychedelic rock/heavy metal band before his solo poop career)

The most surprising thing is Billy Joel used FX pedals to make his organ sound like guitars (the only other member was the drummer) :rock:
And for the record: despite some saying this album is shit, I'm instead of the opinion this album is good enough to consider it an underrated gem.

Offline deicide

• Ancillus
« Reply #933 on: November 04, 2018, 10:53:37 AM »
Phenomena - 1985 - Kiss of Fire
The dude, Glenn Hughes, sounds here like a perfect pitch correction with vibrato suppression, completely artifact-free.
Please note that pitch correction technology wasn't available at the time of recording, so he indeed sings like this IRL.
I don't recommend the whole album, this is a one hit supergroup project, nothing interesting besides an opener.
By the way, he did his best perfomances during his heroin period, 80's. So yeah, that was done on drugs.

A shame he did not participate in any real metal or hard rock band, doing commercial waste like Deep Purple - Strormbringer the whole life. He would've been a crown jewel in any power or progressive metal band, like Beyond Twilight.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2018, 11:40:36 AM by deicide »

Offline Barabbah

• Antediluvian
« Reply #934 on: November 04, 2018, 11:50:57 AM »
A shame he did not participated in any real metal or hard rock bands

Wait what?! Are you kidding? He did great hard rock / heavy metal stuff!!!

Black Sabbath - Turn To Stone
https://youtube.com/watch?v=c21-Uxj5tYM

Black Sabbath - In For The Kill
https://youtube.com/watch?v=OQoiN-QmfiU

Gleen Hughes - I'm The Man
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=D833KLX5gHk

:rock:

(or you mean he didn't achieve great success?)

Offline deicide

• Ancillus
« Reply #935 on: November 04, 2018, 11:53:30 AM »
I mean Black Sabbath from this period wasn't Ozzy Sabbath or Dio Sabbath, more a commecial project than an actual band and so music was somewhat lacking. It's kinda ok, but not much interesting.
It seems that he was doomed to sing a second rate material for the whole lifetime.

Speaking of Beyond Twilight, I did not mention them out of the blue, their two concept albums and the whole cinematic style were inspired by the very same song and this performance.

Beyond Twilight - 2005 - Section X - The Path of Darkness
Glenn Hughes worship.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2018, 02:42:28 PM by deicide »

Offline Barabbah

• Antediluvian
« Reply #936 on: November 04, 2018, 03:18:41 PM »
In fact Tony Iommy, the only member left, decided to made a solo album. Despite the different sound the label decided to release it as a Black Sabbath album. It was never meant to be Glenn Sabbath, just Tony Iommi & Glenn Hughes.

Offline deicide

• Ancillus
« Reply #937 on: November 04, 2018, 10:09:50 PM »
Guess Tommy wanted to be more candid about that, but the label decided otherwise. Still, the point remains, the project wasn't up to Sabbath nor it was a top tier material, more fanservice than anything else. The main point of it was the profit, which is alright to me (what else he should do in the situation?), but this does not make the music any better.

Offline deicide

• Ancillus
« Reply #938 on: December 21, 2018, 02:28:56 AM »
Metallica - 2008 - Death Magnetic - That Was Just Your Life

Personally, I consider that album a work of an evil genius, no matter how subpar the material is for two reasons. The first, it was an artistic statement, a giant flipoff to the fans telling artists how and what to play. Like, wanna heavy? Oh sure, here you go, if your eardrums will handle that sort of heavy, muhahah. Hetfield sounds here genuinely pissed off, almost as if he's shit-talking and bullying their fans, and in a way he is.

The second, that album is exactly what initially maked general public aware of the "Loudness War" phenomenon. Sure, there were albums more smashed, but Death Magnetic is so obvious that one does not need a decent equipment or hearing in order to notice.

As a result, far more albums with a decent dynamic range were released in following years than could be otherwise. So, Lars Ulrich truly is the Dark Messiah of Loudness Wars.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2018, 06:53:53 PM by deicide »

Offline Barabbah

• Antediluvian
« Reply #939 on: December 21, 2018, 04:31:57 AM »
Even if he has the Samson syndrome he still surprise us

Offline deicide

• Ancillus
« Reply #940 on: December 21, 2018, 12:15:31 PM »
And now for something completely different...
Never was into Mozart, considered his music both too flowery and lacking any energy, until Rene Jacobs proved me otherwise. Indeed, a master of comic opera (a rare genre, unlike operetta) he was.

Mozart - Die Zauberflote (Rene Jacobs)

That is, the 18th century Flower Power analogue, and that's how it's supposed to sound. The lack of wordwide stars is beyond nice, no one will dare to say "if Solti had been at the conductor's stand, they would've ended up dead" or complain about the lack of acting.
The first scene borders on trash comedy, the serpent is uttelry real for a hero, not so for the three "dames" or "amazons" who consider it nothing but a prop. And yes, it was intended by an author as an implication of the nature of reality. It isn't called "masonic" for nothing.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2018, 11:46:46 PM by deicide »

Offline Barabbah

• Antediluvian
« Reply #941 on: December 21, 2018, 12:40:48 PM »
As an italian, who only knows english other than my language, watching a clip of a deutsch spoken opera with french subtitles was one bizarre experience

Offline deicide

• Ancillus
« Reply #942 on: December 21, 2018, 11:44:13 PM »
The english lyrics as well as other translations are common around internet, if anyone really interested, though I'm not aware if anyone subtitled this particular release. Still, I guess, will do as a sample of what to expect.
Besides, no one ever watched an opera without a lyrics sheet at hand, it's nearly impossible to make the hell out a single word even if the language is native to singers due to the technique, not to say they often tend to be even worse in it than you.

Speaking of the staging, I'm glad that they did not attempt recreating Mozart era decorations and outfits, instead going for purely abstract ones and loosely stylized second rococo (circa 1860+), which pushed an absurd to the next level.
That's still pretty tame, I believe I had seen the one with singers dressed as @!%$house inmates and Zarastro as a shrink somewhere...
« Last Edit: December 22, 2018, 07:14:55 AM by deicide »

Offline Barabbah

• Antediluvian
« Reply #943 on: December 22, 2018, 07:00:23 AM »
However opera still reminds me too much of musical. Which I hate over anything (except if it's an animated film by tim burton). It's too unreal.

Changing the argument, since it's christmas here's a holiday song:
https://youtu.be/ZZAoLnn4LF0

Offline deicide

• Ancillus
« Reply #944 on: December 29, 2018, 11:15:58 PM »
To continue on the Loudness War topic.
Vision of Atlantis - 2018 - The Deep & the Dark

An example of a commercially successful mainstream album released with a decent dynamic range, with early 90's levels. The production style is very 80-ish, as the vocalist's looks.
Interestingly enough, the band founder and leader is a Napalm Records CEO.

Their genre could be described as if Evanescence played an actual metal.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2018, 08:12:14 AM by deicide »

* Game Files