collapse

Author Topic: There is a Song/Video in Your Head...  (Read 69407 times)

Offline deicide

• Drug Fiend
  • Methuselah
Re: There is a Song/Video in Your Head...
« Reply #960 on: January 02, 2019, 01:40:31 PM »
Kreator - 1999 - Golden Age
This gothic metal album, Endorama, was my first metal album ever, still consider it on par with their classic thrash albums.
Used it as a payback to my elder sister who used to listen to Enya on max a bit too much. What could compare to Tilo Wolff barking in a Hetfield style about an imminent apocalypse and coming of the new Golden Age to distorted guitars and new age inspired keyboards?
By the way, it was the absolutely worst she ever did, so these "British Scientists" (aka BS) who claimed that siblings cannot tolerate each other (Westermarck effect), should've provided oneselves with a sister, for starters.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 02:25:58 PM by deicide »
The patient was a young lady whom I was loath to disfigure (c)

Offline Barabbah

• Majestic madness maker
  • Antediluvian
« Reply #961 on: January 02, 2019, 01:58:34 PM »
This was from my first metal album <3

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1ey4VI2D-eI

Elvenking - Jigsaw Puzzle (from Wyrd, their only album without the original singer and yet the only one I like)
"Some quotations," said Zellaby, "are greatly improved by lack of context."
― John Wyndham, The Midwich Cuckoos
"fuck the hole in the face"
― me

Offline deicide

• Drug Fiend
  • Methuselah
« Reply #962 on: January 03, 2019, 06:33:23 AM »
My Chemical Romance - 2004 - To the End
It's not a song itself that interesting (which is a borderline ok mainstream modern rock, although this particular album, unlike usual straight-edge fare, sounds genuinely fvcked up), but lyrics, the plot is a cross between Beatles' "Eleanor Rigby" and "When I'm 64", with a modern twist. Two separate plots with unrelated characters who somehow ended up with each other, however, with an opposite ending compared to Beatles' song.

I bet no one ever suspected MCR in writing Beatles fanfiction.
Code: [Select]
wedding          -> cancelled wedding
father McKenzie  -> bored modern aristocrat who does speed
Eleanor Rigby    -> model / lady of the night on benzos (tranquillizers)
funeral          -> actual wedding

As a bonus, "The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch" by Philip K. Dick reference. "Barbies and Kens" - regular people on Can-D, "increase the medication" - non-literal, Chew-Z aka private alternative reality.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 08:03:51 AM by deicide »

Offline Aurelian

• Ancillus
« Reply #963 on: January 03, 2019, 06:53:44 PM »
I love European Pagan music, profoundly beautiful.

Some Faun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLgM1QJ3S_I

Offline deicide

• Drug Fiend
  • Methuselah
« Reply #964 on: January 04, 2019, 03:56:54 AM »
Another one on Power Metal topic,
Echoterra - 2011 - Land of the Midnight Sun - After the Rain

On this album, they've pushed the role of keyboards (baroque-inspired) onto the whole next level if compared to a typical flower metal like Nightwish or Rhapsody. The genre could be described as Progressive Power Metal without conservatoire wankery. As opposed to the majority of similar bands, lyrics are also more than intersting.
It would be difficult to guess that they're from USA.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 04:03:51 AM by deicide »

Offline Barabbah

• Majestic madness maker
  • Antediluvian
« Reply #965 on: January 19, 2019, 10:05:29 AM »
Hank III - Pistol Packing Motherfucker

https://youtube.com/watch?v=90pAytZ7tGw

Long story short, his label tried to milk his legacy (his grandfather being country legend hank williams), he refused to play only country, extensive feud, manages to drop the label which in turn started to release his non-album material (both metal and country) repackaged and advertized as new studio albums (without any imput, consent and at first even knowledge by Hank III himself). To add to the insult this started with the release of his first metal album, shelved by the label in fear of losing the exploit of the country audience (which started their feud).

This is Pistol Packing Motherfucker, from the album hillbilly joker (the shelved album planned by Hank III to be released as This Ain't Country)
― me

Offline deicide

• Drug Fiend
  • Methuselah
« Reply #966 on: January 30, 2019, 10:19:51 AM »
Darkseed - 2010 - Incinerate

The music is a classic gothic metal with a modern twist (metalcore vocals in chorus, As I Lay Dying like), the lyrics are also of interest, they're about the feelings of a virus that gained consciousness by becoming people whom it infect. The more it learns what is means to be a human, the more it desires to obliterate mankind.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2019, 10:25:04 AM by deicide »

Offline deicide

• Drug Fiend
  • Methuselah
« Reply #967 on: March 09, 2019, 11:09:13 PM »
Visions of Atlantis - 2004 - Winternight

Had forgotten to add on VoA, their earlier stuff is also of some peculiarity. Since the beginning, they were going for the same "euro power metal Evanescence" style they finally returned to on the last album. The original vocalist was Nicole Bogner, who joined the 27 Club (aka R.I.P. at age 27) in 2012.
That one is a piano ballad by her, both music and lyrics. Back in mid-00's, was surprised how much better her lyrics are in comparison to the bulk by a guy, these aren't just "a death fantasy from an angsty girl's diary", but also quite imagimative and have some actual individality.
That was some really dark humour on her (and the band's) behalf, since she was aware that she's going to die young. Some guys who chuckled from these lyrics certainly felt uneasy upon realizing that it all was for real this time.

The death fantasy topic was quite prominent in their lyrics back then, even more glaring example will be
Visions of Atlantis - 2004 - Lost
She faded away
Like a rose on a winter day
I remember her last words
Please don’t cry for me
They purposefully wrote the most obnoxiously cliche'd angsty girl fare. And indeed, she died exacly like this, at the winter, by coincidence.

As for the cause of death, it was an undisclosed chronical illness, my bet is on AIDS (why otherwise they would hide it?), so, guess, she had a quite a reason for being angsty for sure.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2019, 09:14:28 PM by deicide »

Offline Barabbah

• Majestic madness maker
  • Antediluvian
« Reply #968 on: March 10, 2019, 02:35:04 AM »
I haven't listen those links yet (first thing in the morning, pinky swear), but on the topic of fading away I cannot not mention a song that had a strong impact on me:
The Clay People - Fade Away
(Warning for metal purists: The Clay People does industrial metal)

the cause of death, it was an undisclosed chronical illness, my bet is on AIDS (why otherwise they would hide it?), so, guess, she had a quite a reason to be angsty for sure.
Or they wanted more privacy, who knows?
« Last Edit: March 10, 2019, 02:39:24 AM by Barabbah »
― me

Offline deicide

• Drug Fiend
  • Methuselah
« Reply #969 on: March 10, 2019, 07:26:00 AM »
Or they wanted more privacy, who knows?
That's incredibly rare, one could go through a few thousands entries in R.I.P. / Slowly We Rot section on Metal Archives without ever hitting an "undisclosed" one. It does not make any sense for relatives to explicitly deny access to such an information for everyone, especially if the deceased person was public if there were nothing interesting in it for the reason that it looks suspicious and will certainly attract an a lot of unwanted attention from fans, which is the opposite of more privacy.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2019, 07:30:32 AM by deicide »

Offline Barabbah

• Majestic madness maker
  • Antediluvian
« Reply #970 on: March 10, 2019, 07:33:48 AM »
Weel, maybe in many cases some more informations are disclosed in time and/or not directly from the family and band members. Plus Metal Encyclopedia, even being one of the greatest music reference, still focus on only the metal universe.
― me

Offline deicide

• Drug Fiend
  • Methuselah
« Reply #971 on: March 10, 2019, 08:50:28 AM »
As far as I know, the most of these cases are AIDS-related, because it considered discriminatory or potentially so by law in many countries. Still, the information could not be withold without relatives' consent (nor they could be forced into non-disclosure). Her family should've known better than keeping it that way, not putting a definite end to this extra attention and speculations is disrespectful towards the deceased, it means they consider themselves ashamed because of her.
I would suspect careless drug use, but sharing a needle is nearly unheard of in todays Austria and was then.

Another prominent topic in lyrics is a heroine who was doomed one way or another due to her lover, without any guilt on his behalf, which further convinced me that my guess was right. Such a fixation could be a result of her own experience.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2019, 09:17:34 PM by deicide »

Offline Barabbah

• Majestic madness maker
  • Antediluvian
« Reply #972 on: March 10, 2019, 01:59:22 PM »
Ah ok

Howecer, I've listened to those. Nice.
― me

Offline deicide

• Drug Fiend
  • Methuselah
« Reply #973 on: March 10, 2019, 02:56:50 PM »
In other words, it's a secret that isn't a secret at all, almost everyone will guess nevertheless. So, their denial means "oh, we're so ashamed that our daughter was, uh, a whore". Conversely, disclosure would've meant "nothing to be ashamed of, this could happen to everyone".

As for me, male vocals on first albums are the weak link, that guy sounds like a Linkin' Park wannabe. Tolerable, but not any good. Happily, they got rid of these half-assed nu metal elements after, and did not reintroduce them on their "return to the roots" album.

Isn't it ironic that "European Evanescence wannabees" were, in fact, more "trve" than the former?
Lyrics on these albums are uncredited, but I'm almost sure that she was the main lyricist, because the female vocalist is credited for them on the return album, the style resembles (presumed) Bogner's, although more complex. Guess it's a new spin on the original model. Post-Bogner lyrics style on three following albums are very different from the former.

By the way, only now got that female vocals on the new album are a bit j-rock/j-pop tingled, clearly articulated fast vocals is a skill highly valued in Japan. So, they twisted and incorporated an another popular trend into their music without actually embracing it. Did not notice at first because I'm not into j-stuff at all. J-metal is as boring as hell, although they have some distinctive non-j metal bands such as Loudness (one of the first NWoBHM aka Iron Maiden style bands).
« Last Edit: March 10, 2019, 03:45:37 PM by deicide »

Offline Barabbah

• Majestic madness maker
  • Antediluvian
« Reply #974 on: March 10, 2019, 03:59:27 PM »
You really hate nu metal, aye?  :rofl: :rofl: :razz:
Don't think too bad of it. Metal and Nu Metal are like The Naked Gun and Hot Fuzz. Both are cop movies parodies and while they have countless and enormous differences both are funny movies in their own.
― me