collapse

Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: The complaint thread  (Read 186683 times)

Offline [archive] Grendel8101

• Methuselah
Re: The complaint thread
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2005, 11:32:00 PM »
                I find myself coming up with different ideas of what exactly killed organized religion for me.  I come up with the discrepancies in the Bible (I am/was christian protestant), the weird rules you have to abide by, and you know what comes to the forefront?  This has to do with an earlier post of mine:

I really hated getting up on Sunday morning and going to church.                        

Offline [archive] Signothorn

• Antediluvian
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2005, 03:40:00 AM »
                In Reply To #16
  Nothing ever goes just right: The Matrix game advertisement almost makes me feel Helen Keller had it good.                        

Offline [archive] MoonMad:P

• Antediluvian
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2005, 10:51:00 AM »
                In Reply To #16
 Not to mention the brain washing...

Without religion we wouldn't have suicide bombers. Makes you think...                        

-----signature-----
           "The reason we exist is because the jellyfish will it so. WHY ELSE?"    

• Methuselah
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2005, 11:03:00 AM »
                In Reply To #18

MoonMad posted:

In Reply To #16
 Not to mention the brain washing...

Without religion we wouldn't have suicide bombers. Makes you think...

The Japanese used suicide bombers (kamikazi) and I don't remember them being overly religious.  Although with Facisim you're talking about a cult based around the country and government you belong to.                        

Offline [archive] only_entropy_exists

• Neonate
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2005, 09:53:00 PM »
                In Reply To #19

I think he was referring to some sects of Islamic and other faiths where people do kill themselves, and others in the process, for their faith.                        

-----signature-----

Loving you was like loving the dead.    

• Methuselah
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2005, 10:04:00 PM »
                In Reply To #20

only_entropy_exists posted:

In Reply To #19

I think he was referring to some sects of Islamic and other faiths where people do kill themselves, and others in the process, for their faith.  

I know what he was referring to, but suicide bombing is a tactic that isn't limited to religion.  That's the point I was trying to make.                        

Offline [archive] only_entropy_exists

• Neonate
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2005, 10:21:00 PM »
                <purple>In Reply To #21

Brainwashing, stupidity, et al are not limited to religion either, although I truly wish they were.  </purple>

Let me tell you what pisses me off.  Okay see I'm engaged and the misses and I have had a few discussions about children and such.  Here's the piss me off part:
 She says we are going to have to STOP bootlegging things from the net when we have children because it's not right or legal and we have to teach them right from wrong by example.  But she illegally downloads just as much crap as I do.  We get in to huge fights about this crap when it's brought up.  I can't fathom that I'm going to give up downloading things, whatever those things might be.  And I can't see me telling my children that something is wrong that I've been doing for years.  I mean my girlfriend still downloads things now, that's what really gets my goat.  If she thinks it's so wrong, why doesn't she stop?  

Help me Ann Landers!

-----signature-----

Loving you was like loving the dead.    

• Antediluvian
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2005, 05:24:00 AM »
                In Reply To #19
 Suicide Bombers (fanatic with bomb) and Suicide IN Bombers (fanatic kamikazee pilots you mentioned) are entirely different. Similar concepts, but entirely different.

Thread killing complaint removed for safety's sake.                        

-----signature-----

• Methuselah
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2005, 02:41:00 AM »
                In Reply To #23
   I'm not sure they're entirely different.  Kamikaze's planes were often loaded with explosives, and their mission was not to shoot and fly like regular fighters and then crash their planes (though in some cases they did), it was often their entire mission to fly their plane and crash at a specified target, similar to how suicide bombers work only the Japanese had more resources (i.e. planes).

Here's a completely new gripe for the thread:  People who get pissed off at you for offering help.  This has happened to me at least 3 times in the last week on this forum.  I don't know what I'm doing to piss these posters off so much, but it seems like I'm stepping onto a flame war every time I turn around.  I think it's because people get mad at me for joking.

Hmmm, I think it's time to come up with a Grendel's Revenge Disclaimer:  Don't Take Anything This Poster Says Very Seriously.                        

• Antediluvian
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2005, 05:17:00 AM »
                In Reply To #24
 I'll take your word for it then.

I did notice that in a few of the threads you've posted in also - though I didn't think your remarks were worth them getting upset over. As I've said before - these forums don't allow for phonetics - so they can't tell if you're serious or not.

Try hitting them with a sly remark then say something to boost their ego or help them out. The words 'but seriously...' at the beginning of you second setnence always helps too happy  The evil of smilies may help also.

Oh and people getting pissed at each other and arguing about things is the basic premise of a forum - or seems to be.                        

-----signature-----

Offline [archive] RomanK28488471

• Neonate
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2005, 09:57:00 AM »
                In Reply To #10

Hmmm... Well, I'm pissed off by ignorance concerning religion. I'd read about the way Torah books are written, if I were you. Strictest laws ever invented about writing something down, in my opinion.
 The Q'uran also remained unaltered. The text is the same, it's only the people that are different. They've become stupider and started frothing at the mouth, for a start. Now that is something worth getting angry about, especially in my part of the world.

I'm pretty sick of my class schedule. I have to get up at 5:00 AM for three days straight. Just because a couple of bastards who just happen to be my professors are early risers I need to lose sleep. Bastards.                        

-----signature-----
           Roman K

"This isn't life in the fast lane, it's life in the oncoming traffic."
 (Terry Pratchett)    

• Methuselah
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2005, 10:24:00 AM »
                In Reply To #26
 Didn't mean to offend, Roman, and I shouldn't have commented on two books that I have never read.  I was talking mostly about the Bible, and how my religion has changed and altered it, re-interpreted so many times I can't stand it.

Interesting story about the Bible, too, no holy man I have ever encountered will tell me who brought the stories together.  The Rev. Billy Graham tells everyone that God wrote it.  Either no one knows anymore, or no one will admit that a mere mortal did it.

[added Apr  4 2005  5:37AM]

NEW GRIPE:  Daylight savings time.  I understand why they did it when they did, but I wish everyone would just stop using it anymore.  I get used to getting up and having the sun shine (I get up really early) and now it's dark and I'm all tired and don't want to be up.                        

Offline [archive] RomanK28488471

• Neonate
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2005, 11:18:00 AM »
                In Reply To #27

Well, as far the books from Genesis to Deuteronomy are concerned, we believe Moses wrote them. There's also an opinion that Joshua wrote the last few parts of Deuteronomy, after Moses' death. The rest of what you would call the Old Testament was also written by people, divinely inspired or otherwise.

As for Daylight Saving Time, I've just about had enough of it myself. Bye bye, sun.                        

-----signature-----
           Roman K

"This isn't life in the fast lane, it's life in the oncoming traffic."
 (Terry Pratchett)    

Offline [archive] Skyra_to_Hollow

• Antediluvian
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2005, 05:04:00 PM »
                In Reply To #28
 Pick up a Bible and read it.  Each book should have a short preface that tells you who wrote it, when, where, etc.  For example, the second book of the Kings was written by Samuel, and the book of the Hebrews was (like most of the New Testament) written as a letter from Paul to a select group of people.  This information is not at all difficult to find, and anybody who says otherwise is either lazy, ignorant, or subversive in the extreme.                        

-----signature-----
           Regards,
 Skyra to Hollow
 Site Director, www.PlanetVampire.com

Offline [archive] dalver

• Ancillus
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2005, 05:44:00 PM »
                I knew I was opening a can of worms with my initial post... sorry everyone.

I haven't read the holy texts cover to cover, because should I do it, I am quite certain I'd lose the little I have left of my sanity. But I have read passages, some rather large passages in the Koran and Bible (Old and New Testaments). And by just thinking about what I read, using nothing more than my own intellect, I concluded that there are certain texts that are written by people for people, to facilitate regularisation of society, at the time and in the place as the text was written.

Don't get me wrong, I have a strong belief in a creator God, it's just I have some issues with some of the written texts as they are pretty obvious just a justification written by people. And there are no arguments of divine inspiration that can explain some of the issues...

...such as the impurity of woman over man, the explicit chapters of criminal punishings, the seating of women in the holy places and at holy gatherings, the architectural design of a tent, the unending rows and rows of family-trees, or the justification letter of... ah I don't remember Peter or Paul, one of the disciples that was invited to a church at some point and was laughed at and rediculed because of his slight height and total lack of personal charisma, so he wrote a letter blaming the parish for being faithless... and many, many more examples that - to me - point to a human hand and has nothing of divinity in it.

Although I absolutely support religion as it brings hope to everyone, even to those who have none or have little. But I do dislike blind devotion and fanaticism.

I mean there is more than one tribe that believes God is a log and they have had divine inspiration for tales and prophets to deliver them prophecies also. Who is to say they are wrong?

Also how come Buddhism appeared in Asia (where warrior meditation was an old practice) and not in Europe? How come the family/clan heavy Islam appeared in Asia Minor in tribal war territory and not in Africa. How come the log worshipping religion appeared in untamed Africa and not in America? How come the sunworshipping Aztec religion appeared in an area situated on the Equator and not in Greenland? Divine inspiration or natural selection. It is all a matter of opinion and belief and nothing points to one being more true than another.

This last paragraph is of course a very simplified point of view.                        

-----signature-----
           in vitae veritas    

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal