collapse

Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: The Bioware Spot  (Read 4259 times)

Offline Talyn82

• Ancillus
Re: The Bioware Spot
« Reply #300 on: March 20, 2020, 03:44:43 PM »
How is everyone doing?  I hope everyone is safe and healthy as well as your loved ones.

@fylimar:  I haven't been able to get any time to play SWTOR, with this virus going around.  But hopefully soon I will get a chance.  The last time I played my Sith Warrior was on Alderaan, close to almost finishing the planet.

Anyway I hope everyone is well.

Take Care!

Offline Highwayman667

• Antediluvian
« Reply #301 on: March 20, 2020, 10:03:54 PM »
Thank you Talyn, I am doing well so far. Right now we're in quarantine here in Peru until April. I really hope it doesn't go that far though because I need to work, even if I certainly have enough games to keep myself busy !

Currently I am playing Baldur's Gate and holy shit is that game LOOOONG....

... but also beautiful. I think it's very likely I am going to enjoy the second one, from our dear beloved Bioware.

Offline Happydeathclaw

• Ancillus
« Reply #302 on: March 20, 2020, 10:22:08 PM »
Kinda late but still... speaking of DA2, Sebastian is the worst companion ever, religious hypocrite crybaby and you can't even kill him in the end which is annoying.

Offline Talyn82

• Ancillus
« Reply #303 on: March 21, 2020, 01:36:44 AM »
@Highwayman667:  Glad to hear you are doing well.  Over here they are saying the quarantine might last to June.  I also hope it doesn't last that long.  I've gotta work also.  I have been playing VTMB for about 10-20 minutes as a smooth talking Tremere this time around.  I had a Persuasion level of 6 and still couldn't convince the murderer to join the Camarilla. Out  of the four characters I've played it was my Malkavian of all vampires who convinced him.

I also want to replay KOTOR 2 this time as a darksider with the Restored Content Mod.  The darkside in the second game is a lot better than in the original game.

I am glad you are enjoying Baldur's Gate it is indeed a classic.  But the sequel is what put BioWare on the map, and introduces the BioWare formula for rpg's.  I will not speak about either game as not to spoil it for you.

Anyway stay healthy and stay safe!

Offline Talyn82

• Ancillus
« Reply #304 on: March 21, 2020, 01:38:44 AM »
@HappyDeathClaw:  It's never too late to talk about BW games.  Although I own all the dlc for DA2.  My game cannot access them so I never met Sebastion and do not have an opinion of him.

Offline Highwayman667

• Antediluvian
« Reply #305 on: March 21, 2020, 02:02:05 AM »
Kinda late but still... speaking of DA2, Sebastian is the worst companion ever, religious hypocrite crybaby and you can't even kill him in the end which is annoying.

It's never a bad time to mention how Sebastian is just the WAAAAARST. Fylimar will also agree on this one.

Offline fylimar

• Methuselah
« Reply #306 on: March 23, 2020, 06:28:27 AM »
Oh yes, Sebastian is the worst. I don't bother with him anymore.

I'm well for now. Sadly I have lost my job and trying to get a new one in this crisis is a bit tricky. So I will have a lot of time in April.

I'm still playing SWTOR, my main character, smuggler healer Janei, is now level 75 and ready for endgame stuff. Played my mercenary healer yesterday and my jedi knight. The ladies are on Balmorra and Nar Shadaa now.
“They can keep their heaven. When I die, I’d sooner go to Middle Earth.” ― George R.R. Martin

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."
― Doctor Who

Offline Highwayman667

• Antediluvian
« Reply #307 on: March 24, 2020, 02:02:19 AM »
@fylimar: real sorry about that fyli. I'm pretty much in the same place and I can't look for another one because we're on quarantine over here. So yeah, great for Baldur's Gate and The Sword Coast but not so much for me.

Offline Talyn82

• Ancillus
« Reply #308 on: March 24, 2020, 02:20:01 AM »
@fylimar:  I am also sorry to hear you lost your job.  I too am at risk of being unemployed, and like Highwayman667 said.  With the quarantine it makes it hard to look for a job.

But I recently started replaying VTMB and will soon resume playing SWTOR.  So at least they will take my mind off of things.

Offline fylimar

• Methuselah
« Reply #309 on: March 25, 2020, 06:00:57 PM »
Thank you and sorry to hear, that you two are in a similar spot at the moment. Hopefully the crisis will be over sooner than later and things will get back to normal. There are still jobs I can apply to, but most of them send emails, that they wait the crisis out before doing job interviews.
“They can keep their heaven. When I die, I’d sooner go to Middle Earth.” ― George R.R. Martin

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."
― Doctor Who

Offline Happydeathclaw

• Ancillus
« Reply #310 on: March 27, 2020, 08:18:24 PM »
Speaking of fun with pestilence, I even kinda like it, never saw my city so that empty before, metro especially

Offline Highwayman667

• Antediluvian
« Reply #311 on: March 28, 2020, 11:38:14 PM »
People of Planet Vampire... Bioware lovers specially... Shepard calls upon thee !

Not really, but this quarantine does leave me with time to do a certain thing I always enjoy doing... a ranking !

So, here's the deal, Bioware has published these titles (North America release dates):

- Shattered Steel (1996)

- Baldur's Gate (1998)
- MDK2 (2000)
- Baldur's Gate 2: Shadows of Amn (2000)
- Neverwinter Nights (2002)
- Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (2003)
- Jade Empire (2005)
- Mass Effect (2007)
- Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood (2008)
- Mass Effect Galaxy (2009)
- Dragon Age: Origins (2009)
- Mass Effect 2 (2010)
- Dragon Age II (2011)
- Dragon Age Legends (2011)
- Star Wars: The Old Republic (2011)
- Mass Effect 3 (2012)
- Dragon Age: Inquisition (2014)
- Mass Effect: Andromeda (2017)
- Anthem (2019)

The idea is the following, we have 19 games released, most of which we love immensely so... let's rank 'em ! Let's see if we can find some favorites and build a deffinitive top for what we consider is the whole Bioware catalogue.

What I propose if the following: 1 point for games that we've played (because at least we've considered them interesting enough to play... not you Anthem), 2 points for games we like and have enjoyed (more than half of the list) and 3 points for games we absolutely love and believe to be the best of the best when it comes to Bioware material (maximum of 5 games in this category so we can build a decent top 5).

I think it would be a lot of fun to see if our tastes match, if we can agree on which and why the games we choose are the best. Now I just completely made up that "point system" from nothing, so feel free to make suggestions and once we agree, we may begin scoring and defining who... the best among Bioware are truly the best !

Offline Talyn82

• Ancillus
« Reply #312 on: March 29, 2020, 12:42:46 AM »
Okay here are mine:
Knights of the Old Republic: 3
Dragon Age Origins: 3
Neverwinter Nights: 3
Baldur's Gate 2: 3
Baldur's Gate: 3
Dragon Age 2: 2
Dragon Age Inquisition: 2
SWTOR: 2
Jade Empire: 1
Mass Effect: 1
Mass Effect Galaxy
Mass Effect 2
Mass Effect 3
Mass Effect: Andromeda
MDK2
Anthem

It was tough deciding between the original Knight's of the Old Republic and Dragon Age Origins.  But in the end I chose KOTOR because without that game I never would have heard of BioWare, since I was mainly a console gamer at the time, and yes KOTOR was originally released for the original Xbox.  But once I was hooked into that game it made me want to try their other titles.

The title's with no points I never played.

Offline Highwayman667

• Antediluvian
« Reply #313 on: March 29, 2020, 04:05:46 AM »
Well I'll put in mine. If for some reason fylimar or ocassional guest Wilhelm-Streicher want to make a different proposal feel free to do so.

Here's my top:

Mass Effect 3 (3 points)
Dragon Age Origins (3 points)
Baldur's Gate 2: Shadow of Amn (3 points)
Jade Empire (3 points)
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (3 points)
Mass Effect 2 (3 points)
Mass Effect (3 points)
Dragon Age II (3 points)
Baldur's Gate (3 points)
Neverwinter Nights (3 points)
Dragon Age Inquisition (2 points)
MDK2 (2 points)

Haven't played yet:

Shattered Steel
Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood
Mass Effect Galaxy
Dragon Age: Legends
Star Wars: The Old Republic
Mass Effect Andromeda
Anthem

I want to let it be known that I haven't played Baldur's Gate 2 yet (I am finishing Dragonspear Talyn... it is glorious), so I might replace one with the other.

You'll notice from my top that, despite my absolute adoration for the Mass Effect franchise I haven't placed it on top 5, mostly because I didn't want it to take the spot of some very emblematic and well-deserving games of their due praise and accolades. I also gave MDK2 it's due because it is SUCH an underrated jewel.

You'll also notice that I am one of those strange extradimensional beings that feels Jade Empire is QUITE underrated. It is a beautiful game and a Bioware masterpiece through and through. I have my speculations on why it isn't as popular as other titles but it is quite frankly an improved version of Kotor to me.

Games with no points of course are Bioware games I haven't played... yet.

EDIT: A few changes now that I've played Baldur's Gate 2.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 03:59:08 AM by Highwayman667 »

Offline Talyn82

• Ancillus
« Reply #314 on: March 29, 2020, 06:11:49 AM »
@Highwayman667:  Great list and I am glad you're enjoying Baldur's Gate.  As for Jade Empire.  I think I know that one of if not the main reason why it is underrated, is because BioWare chose to work on that game instead of KOTOR 2.  The original KOTOR was the game that was released before Jade Empire.  This is also the reason why many KOTOR fans dislike the sequel because Obsidian not BioWare created it.  I on the other hand love the sequel and prefer the Exile over Revan. 

But now I'm ranting lets get back on topic.  BioWare choosing to work on Jade Empire and not KOTOR 2 is the reason for the dislike.  Personally I was there when KOTOR was first released and loved the hell out of the game, and wanted more of Revan's adventures.  I too was pissed when I heard that BW wasn't working on a sequel instead they were working on JE.  But I did try JE, but I never got far because at that time I was still heavy into Morrowind as well as KOTOR and it's sequel.

That is why for me it took 15 years to play Bloodlines.  I was still heavy into the games I posted above.  But I do own both the STEAM and GoG versions of Jade Empire and do want to replay it.

So in closing although I am not one of them.  People are still pissed that BW did not create KOTOR 2 to this day.

Oh one thing to know about me is when I post I usually wonder off topic and rant about something else.  It's a side effect of getting older I guess.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 06:13:20 AM by Talyn82 »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal