collapse

Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: The Bioware Spot  (Read 3680 times)

Offline Talyn82

• Ancillus
Re: The Bioware Spot
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2020, 04:08:56 AM »
Long time BioWare fan here started with the original Knights of the Old Republic.  But my favorite game of their's hands down is 'Dragon Age: Origins.'  I love the human noble and mage origins, as well as both dwarven origins.  DAO also has my two favorite love interests in the series.  The bewitching Morrigan, and the seemingly sweet but don't turn your back on her Leliana.  I love them both and can't decide who to romance when I play.  I am currently doing a human mage playthrough who will fall in love or lust with Morrigan, and it is due to her influence my mage becomes a dreaded blood mage.

But on the BSN forums I'm known as a defender and admirer of both Morrigan and Leliana.  I've post tons of pictures I found around the web of them both.  But aside from them I do like Alistair, Zevran (even though he tried to kill me!), Sten, Ohgren, and our team mama Wynne.  Dragon Age: Origins also has one of my favorite villains in gaming Loghain.  The fact that he is voiced by Simon Templeman who voiced the titular character in the 'Legacy of Kain' series is an added bonus.

I remember when I first played the human noble origin and was shocked at the outcome.  I have yet to this day played any of the elvish origins.  To avoid spoilers I also have yet to recruit a certain npc to my party thus making another one angry and leave.  I also enjoyed the sequel I really liked the protagonist Hawke.  The battle as a warrior with the Arishok was tough with a lot of running around.  But mage Hawke owned him.

I played a bit of SWTOR as a Jedi Guardian but did not like it for several reasons.  One it's an mmo and I do not like mmo's.  Two it retconned KOTOR 2 my favorite game of the original two, and they make no mention as to what happened to the K2 companions.  Three it canonized Revan and the Exile.  In the SWTOR canon Revan up and left his pregnant wife behind to face the "Unknown threat" by himself.  He went from badass to dumbass.  Also the dumbass was imprisoned for 300 years.  The Exile in SWTOR canon is a lightside female named Meetra.  Who also died like a chump.  In my head canon the Exile is a cocky smartass Jedi male called Jacen, who hooks up with Briana, and rebuilt the Jedi Order before leaving to find Revan.  My point is the canon never lives up to what the fans wanted.  Four the Sith Empire.  That makes no sense whatsoever.  According to Visas, Darth Nihilus roamed around on the edges of Republic space.  His hunger would have surely driven him to an Empire of Force wielders.  Like it drew him to consume her planet when the Jedi Council gathered there.

Offline Highwayman667

• Antediluvian
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2020, 01:43:28 PM »
Sorry but DAI isn´t a good game. Maybe average if you cut half of its content It had its moments but mostly it just steals your time. Also the main story and therefore the villian Corypheus (an already beaten DA 2 DLC boss who gets lamer in DAI) was pretty dull.

I'm a bit torn on this.

Here's the thing, you're absolutely right on how Inquisition is just a black hole of time consumption when it comes to most of it's content.

But can you seriously say the Battle of Haven, the Siege of the Grey Warden Fortress and the Trip to the Fade sucked ? Hell naw son. And what about the war table ? That is as RPG as you can ever get in a videogame.

It is deffinitely the worst Dragon Age game but... it still pulls through to me... somehow.

Online Wilhelm-Streicher

• Ancillus
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2020, 02:10:15 PM »
But can you seriously say the Battle of Haven, the Siege of the Grey Warden Fortress and the Trip to the Fade sucked ? Hell naw son.
Like i said it has its moments but they are pretty rare.

The battle of Haven is bad in my opinion. First this has nothing to do with the battle but DAI Haven doesn´t look anything similar to DAO Haven.
Second i had saved everybody but regardless of the player actions everyone was replaced expect the blacksmith but i believe he couldn´t die there.
Third and mainly its Corypheus. Sorry but an already killed DA 2 DLC boss isn´t a threat.

But the song and the finding the Skyhold is nice but the overall battle is miles ahead to be good.

Grey Warden Fortress and the Trip to the Fade sucked
These levels are ok but my main problem besides Corypheus is the returning DA 2 hero Hawke. I wasn´t able to recreate my Hawke just about as he/she looked
like in DA 2. Also he/she behaved differently than my Hawke in DA 2.
Also i couldn´t care of the Inquisitior backstory and the Divine.

And what about the war table ? That is as RPG as you can ever get in a videogame.
You really indicate that the war table is good?!?

Sorry waiting severall hours or extreme ones like 18 hours is way too long. This is not a free mobile game. Also most of the rewards are disappointing.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2020, 02:12:17 PM by Wilhelm-Streicher »

Offline Highwayman667

• Antediluvian
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2020, 03:11:33 PM »
I respect your criticisms but I think most of them are a bit preferential.

Okay... Haven doesn't look like it used to ? Does that matter at all ? Is the geography of the place so unbelieably important to the story ? Or is the SIGNIFICANCE of the place which is what really contributes to the overall plot ? I think it's the latter, as for the different look you might just say it's a different part of the region or something. Same with Hawke, I mean, he/she could never possibly look the same as in DA2 because the entire game is made on a completely different graphics engine. There was just no way you could've seen the exact same person.

Like i said it has its moments but they are pretty rare.

Maybe because as you say, we invest an insufferable amount of time doing pointless sidequests... or worse... fetch quests, which sometimes are not even those at all because you fetch nothing ! (Like discovering new regions in the map).

I think that's the deepest flaw of the game. You spend so much time doing nothing story-wise that the game gives you the impression that you're not playing something you like.

Second i had saved everybody but regardless of the player actions everyone was replaced expect the blacksmith but i believe he couldn´t die there.Third and mainly its Corypheus. Sorry but an already killed DA 2 DLC boss isn´t a threat.

Son, this is best battle theme you ever heard in your entire life:

That is just ONE bit of athmosphere that is greatly crafted for that battle alone. I could go on even further on why the entire thing works.

And what about the war table ? That is as RPG as you can ever get in a videogame. Sorry waiting severall hours or extreme ones like 18 hours is way too long. This is not a free mobile game. Also most of the rewards are disappointing.

I didn't mean to say it was perfect but most of the time you just wait around an hour or half the time.

Even then, those war table missions that last around twenty hours are still counting when you're not playing. That's why you can activate one, turn off your PC, go to sleep, go to work, have lunch, make out with your girlfriend, get a hot dog, play again and come to find that it's finished !

Online Wilhelm-Streicher

• Ancillus
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2020, 03:37:44 PM »
Okay... Haven doesn't look like it used to ? Does that matter at all ? Is the geography of the place so unbelieably important to the story ?
Or is the SIGNIFICANCE of the place which is what really contributes to the overall plot ?
If you as a player revisit an known area you could expect that the area looks similiar to the previous visit.
If not what is the point of returning to Haven or Redcliff?

Same with Hawke, I mean, he/she could never possibly look the same as in DA2 because the entire game is made on a completely different graphics engine. There was just no way you could've seen the exact same person.
Of course because of the Engine switch you can´t expect to recreate Hawke 100% but i was really disappointed that i even couldn´t recreate Hawke approximately
with similiar options. And personalitywise and there have DAI no excuse wasn´t Hawke the same as in DA 2.

I think that's the deepest flaw of the game. You spend so much time doing nothing story-wise that the game gives you the impression that you're not playing something you like.
Like i said you cut half of DAI content and you won´t miss anything.
I don´t know if you have ever played the DAI DLC Trespasser. But this DLC featured all the stuff which are great and had cut all the stuff which are bad / boring.
If DAI had the same quality like Trespasser through the whole game when we have a great gaming experience.

Son, this is best battle theme you ever heard in your entire life:
Nice but not as good and unique as in DAO or DA2. So yeah i prefer much more Inon Zur over Trevor Morris.
Also the DAI soundtrack is a bit generic for my taste.

So no this is better than for example Qunari on the Rise.

And what about the war table ? That is as RPG as you can ever get in a videogame. Sorry waiting severall hours or extreme ones like 18 hours is way too long. This is not a free mobile game. Also most of the rewards are disappointing.

Even then, those war table missions that last around twenty hours are still counting when you're not playing. That's why you can activate one, turn off your PC, go to sleep, go to work, have lunch, make out with your girlfriend, get a hot dog, play again and come to find that it's finished !
Sorry that doesn´t make this better? Regradless what you do you have you wait or use the "cheat" in changing your systemtime.
So tell me please why is it okay to wait so long? Even the one hours ones are too long.
And at the end you get mostly some boring stuff you can´t used anymore because the rewarding item is too weak.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2020, 04:50:32 PM by Wilhelm-Streicher »

Offline Highwayman667

• Antediluvian
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2020, 04:43:22 PM »
Wilhelm no... just no. I love Inon Zur and DA2 but I went into a goddamn coma with that piece.

Fylimar, Talyn82... which do you guys think is the best battle theme ? I think it's Battle for Haven but Wilhelm thinks it's Qunari on the Rise. Cast thy votes.

If you as a player revisit an known area you could expect that the area looks similiar to the previous visit. If not what is the point of returning to Haven or Redcliff?

Maybe this is too subjective a point to keep discussing but it does look similar to me: it has mountains, a ton of snow and a bunch of crazy andrastian stuff all around.

I also don't know how much I can contribute to the Hawke discussion because my Hawke is the default one (really liked his beard). However, I did hear this complaint about Mass Effect 3, on which I wasn't playing Sheploo, and was perfectly able to recreate a very similar Shepard to the one I had in ME1 and ME2... so I can at least be skeptical.

Sorry that doesn´t make this better? Regradless what you do you have you wait or use the "cheat" in changing your systemtime. So tell me please why is it okay to wait so long? Even the one hours ones are too long. And at the end you get mostly some boring stuff you can´t used anymore because the rewarding item is too weak.

No one plays these games for just one hour... and thy heart knows it !

I will agree however that more than ten hours is excessively long and shouldn't have been applied in that manner to the game. However, it's not as untenable a system as some people think it is because the timer still runs while you're not playing and it has actual consequences on the gameplay. If you follow up one of those questlines (to find a weakness in Samson's armor) then you can actually tear a new one on him, and that's just one example.

Offline fylimar

• Methuselah
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2020, 04:57:28 PM »
Wilhelm no... just no. I love Inon Zur and DA2 but I went into a goddamn coma with that piece.

Fylimar, Talyn82... which do you guys think is the best battle theme ? I think it's Battle for Haven but Wilhelm thinks it's Qunari on the Rise. Cast thy votes.

I'm not the best judge, since I don't like the very dramatic music much, I like the quieter tunes. I think, the DAI one is a bit nicer imo. But there is nothing, in none of the DA games, as beautiful and beautiful sung as the tavern songs. I'm so in love with those songs, especially Sera was never, Enchanter, Once we were.
And yes, I know, Leliana did sing in DAO too, but I really don't like the voice of that singer and I hated, that they made it an orchestral version instead of a realistic song accompanied by only a lute as would have been realistic on a campfire.

As for Hawke: I managed to recreate my back then canonically Hawke really well. Generally I liek the character creator in DAI a lot, onle lightning cout be better.

Want to show some characters from the different games?

Here is my canon inquisitor, Riya Lavellan, cheeky mage, romanced Iron Bull.
“They can keep their heaven. When I die, I’d sooner go to Middle Earth.” ― George R.R. Martin

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."
― Doctor Who

Online Wilhelm-Streicher

• Ancillus
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2020, 05:29:06 PM »
This isn´t even the best battle theme for DAI.
I would argue that the DAI DLC ones are much better.

Maybe this is too subjective a point to keep discussing but it does look similar to me: it has mountains, a ton of snow and a bunch of crazy andrastian stuff all around.
This is really basic. ;)
But was irrelevant because Bioware was able to recreate one area from a previous game faithfully. I am speaking of the Black Emporium.
Yes it was much much smaller than Haven or Redcliff but the characteristics are there.
Why wasn´t this also possible for Haven and Redcliffe?

I also don't know how much I can contribute to the Hawke discussion because my Hawke is the default one (really liked his beard). However, I did hear this complaint about Mass Effect 3, on which I wasn't playing Sheploo, and was perfectly able to recreate a very similar Shepard to the one I had in ME1 and ME2... so I can at least be skeptical.
Mass Effect was never a problem for me but i wasn´t able to recreate my Hawke because DAI has lost some of this face, hair and other head options which
were in DAO and DA 2 editior.

No one plays these games for just one hour... and thy heart knows it !
Does this really matter? If you really want for example do Cassandras or Coles personal quest you have to wait 1 hour.
Unlike previous Bioware games where you do this stuff right now then the companion quest is start by the companion in a dialogue.
It was a bad system and the next Bioware game  Andromeda drop this.

If you follow up one of those questlines (to find a weakness in Samson's armor) then you can actually tear a new one on him, and that's just one example.
I prefer the Calpernia quest because it was a much better pace.

Offline Highwayman667

• Antediluvian
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2020, 06:10:08 PM »
Much better Wilhelm. Those are some decent tracks right there.

But was irrelevant because Bioware was able to recreate one area from a previous game faithfully. I am speaking of the Black Emporium. Yes it was much much smaller than Haven or Redcliff but the characteristics are there. Why wasn´t this also possible for Haven and Redcliffe?

I think their choice was based on the possibilities of the Frostbite engine. They clearly knew they could do much more with it and so chose to do so because it obviously looked far better than the original version. And why not ? If it serves the story and the experience, then I don't see any problem. Specially because you can actually justify that it's not the exact same part of the original town but somewhere around it. Pretty simple issue to me.

Mass Effect was never a problem for me but i wasn´t able to recreate my Hawke because DAI has lost some of this face, hair and other head options which were in DAO and DA 2 editior.

Well I don't think it's that ludicrous to ask Bioware to be more careful with these issues in DA4 but I wouldn't say it's the game breaking part of DAI to me. I can certainly understand where you come from regarding this issue.

Does this really matter? If you really want for example do Cassandras or Coles personal quest you have to wait 1 hour. Unlike previous Bioware games where you do this stuff right now then the companion quest is start by the companion in a dialogue. It was a bad system and the next Bioware game Andromeda drop this.

A fair criticism but again... I don't find that the system is perfect either. I would deffinitely keep it because it allows for incredible role-playing possibilities. I've played two DA:I runs with an elf and I still couldn't save my clan from being destroyed. These are missions that are so simple and so easy to do that you can actually fail them and get important consequences from them. This is what RPG is all about.

I prefer the Calpernia quest because it was a much better pace.

But no one can ever see that... because no one likes templars.

Offline Talyn82

• Ancillus
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2020, 10:06:43 PM »
@ Highwayman667:  I can't recall any of the battle music. 

Offline Highwayman667

• Antediluvian
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2020, 10:16:08 PM »
@ Highwayman667:  I can't recall any of the battle music.

Offline fylimar

• Methuselah
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2020, 04:01:44 PM »
What's your favorite BW protagonist? You can go into detail, if you prefer a race, class, gender etc.
My favorite has to be female Hawke, preferably sarcastic and either rogue or mage (I don't like playing warriors)
“They can keep their heaven. When I die, I’d sooner go to Middle Earth.” ― George R.R. Martin

― Doctor Who

Offline Highwayman667

• Antediluvian
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2020, 05:41:14 PM »
What's your favorite BW protagonist? You can go into detail, if you prefer a race, class, gender etc. My favorite has to be female Hawke, preferably sarcastic and either rogue or mage (I don't like playing warriors)

Oh Hawke. Such an underrated gem.

I like the male one myself, his glorious beard in the standard appearence is quite something;

Aside from that, it's a great story of exile that rarely gets told in videogames. Hawke also has probably the best friend ever in Bioware games: Varric.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2020, 10:07:09 PM by Highwayman667 »

Offline fylimar

• Methuselah
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2020, 09:49:31 PM »
Oh yes, Varric. The best companion character ever made. Tbh, I wish, he could have been a romance option.

― Doctor Who

Offline Highwayman667

• Antediluvian
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2020, 10:55:24 PM »
As for my favorite Bioware protagonist, it's deffinitely Commander Shepard:

I think that what I love about Commander Shepard, is that it's one of the very few characters in videogames (certainly in CRPG's) that have transitioned throughout three full games with quite the baggage on his/her back, all while developing an incredibly engaging and vast relationship with the galaxy, it's very different factions and the characters that are present within the universe of Mass Effect. I particularly like, at least in regards to player-created characters, that Shepard's opinions, decisions and actions weigh heavily upon him/her throughout all titles; this matter is specially true in Mass Effect 3 where the burdens become fascinantingly psychological in nature as well.

Also, the romances are unquestionably the best in videogaming history... and maker forgive me... my Shepard was a dog. I was with Liara in the first one, Miranda in the second one and Ashley in the third one.

Also, another bunch of Bioware protagonists that never get their due credit are these beautiful trio of maniacs:

« Last Edit: January 12, 2020, 10:57:59 PM by Highwayman667 »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal