collapse

Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: The Bioware Spot  (Read 3848 times)

Offline Highwayman667

• Antediluvian
Re: The Bioware Spot
« Reply #270 on: February 27, 2020, 01:14:11 PM »
@Talyn82: I have my well-enjoyed 250 hours (aprox) into KOTOR. Wonderful game... though I think Jade Empire beats it... unpopular opinion, I know. I could deffinitely enjoy KOTOR 2 with a couple of mods as well; recently I was even more interested in playing it from seeing a Chris Avellone interview in which he pretty much admits to hating Star Wars, which is just gold:

Offline Talyn82

• Ancillus
« Reply #271 on: February 27, 2020, 07:00:13 PM »
@Highwayman667:  In KOTOR 2 there is a great character called Kreia, the dislike Avellone has for SW he put into her.  As you play the game and find out more and more about her, you will see what I mean.  KOTOR 2 is a deconstruction of Star Wars.  In the original game it was a classic story of light versus dark.  In the sequel it's more morally grey, and this narrative is told through Kreia who in my opinion is the best SW character ever. 

But I will not spoil the game for you.  I will let you find out on your own.

Offline fylimar

• Methuselah
« Reply #272 on: February 27, 2020, 07:03:30 PM »
Yes, Kreia is great. Though you do have at least a morally grey jedi in KOTOR with Jolee Bindo, on of my favorite characters. His personal quest was the most fun - the murder mystery.
“They can keep their heaven. When I die, I’d sooner go to Middle Earth.” ― George R.R. Martin

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."
― Doctor Who

Offline Talyn82

• Ancillus
« Reply #273 on: February 27, 2020, 07:27:25 PM »
@fylimar:  Jolee is indeed great.  I love his take on love and how it does not necessarily lead to the darkside.  I mean if you ever read the 'Tales of the Jedi' comics which take place 40 years before and are referenced in both games,  Jedi hooking up with each other and having children was not a strange thing to see at the time.  The original KOTOR was supposed to be based on the comics.  Bastila was supposed to be Vima Sunrider daughter of Nomi Sunrider, but since BioWare could not get permission for the Sunrider name, they renamed the character Bastila.  That is also why the Council in K1 don't make a big deal about Revan and Bastila getting very close to each other. 

Would've been a twist if it turned out the Exile was Kreia and Jolee's love child. lol

Offline Highwayman667

• Antediluvian
« Reply #274 on: February 28, 2020, 03:19:57 AM »
Damnit Wesp, I want my regular quotes back again !

@Fylimar: You mean the trial at Manaan ? What an amazing quest. Totally crowned the game for me.

@Talyn82: Love in SW is just another victim of the destruction caused by the prequels. I'm really glad we're pretty much over it.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2020, 04:18:12 PM by Highwayman667 »

Offline fylimar

• Methuselah
« Reply #275 on: February 28, 2020, 05:41:15 AM »
Highwayman:Yes, I meant the trial in Manaan. Really liked the quest.
“They can keep their heaven. When I die, I’d sooner go to Middle Earth.” ― George R.R. Martin

― Doctor Who

Offline Talyn82

• Ancillus
« Reply #276 on: February 28, 2020, 06:07:54 AM »
Yeah both KOTOR games are classics in my opinion.  The original KOTOR was not only the first Star Wars game I ever played.  It was also the game that got me into Star Wars in general.  My favorite era is the Old Republic era thanks to the games, the 'Tales of the Jedi' comics, and the Darth Bane Trilogy.  The Darth Bane Trilogy was written by the guy who wrote the story for the original KOTOR game.  But he also wrote the imo terrible 'Revan' novel.  But the DB Trilogy is really good and worth a read.

Offline fylimar

• Methuselah
« Reply #277 on: February 28, 2020, 11:25:50 PM »
KOTOR was my first Star Wars game too. I'm not a really big fan of the movies, but I like the universe. We have a Star Wars pen and paper group and that is a lot of fun. The universe can be so much more, than the movies show us.

― Doctor Who

Offline Talyn82

• Ancillus
« Reply #278 on: February 29, 2020, 01:41:20 AM »
@fylimar:  I first saw the movies later in life than most people do.  Most people who saw Star Wars either saw them when they were first released, or when their parents first introduced them to the movies.  I was 23 years old when the original KOTOR was released, and thus I was 23 when I first saw all the films except episode 3 because the film was released two years later.

But I agree with you I am more of a fan of the universe which includes the Old Republic EU stories and games.

Offline Highwayman667

• Antediluvian
« Reply #279 on: February 29, 2020, 04:38:35 PM »
Blasphemers. The movies are great... the original trilogy at least.

Whatever the case, Knights of the Old Republic is truly an astonishing game. I was recently discussing with a friend who thought they shouldn't do a remake of it, perhaps an enhanced edition. I couldn't dissagree more, I feel a remake could help with a lot of the issues many people had in regards to the combat systems and the presentation. It's certainly no issue to me but there's a lot of classics out there that would benefit immensely from the kind of treatment the Resident Evil series is currently getting.

Offline Talyn82

• Ancillus
« Reply #280 on: March 02, 2020, 06:44:05 AM »
@Highwayman667:  I agree a remake would be great.  but I do not trust EA nor Lucas Films to do a respectable job.  They would most likely inject real world politics, and if the player chooses a male Revan they will diminish his role in the game.

Here's my Sith Warrior wearing the ancient Dark Lord Naga Sadow's armor, and Darth Malak's armor:
« Last Edit: March 02, 2020, 07:19:21 AM by Talyn82 »

Offline Highwayman667

• Antediluvian
« Reply #281 on: March 02, 2020, 10:25:14 AM »
@Talyn82: I don't know, I have particular opinions on that. I don't find it bothersome that there's real life politics in games: nobody except the right-wing snowflakes were bothered with those aspects in DAI. I will agree that it cannot be left to EA to handle it though. That is one company going straight down the drain in terms of quality.

Offline Talyn82

• Ancillus
« Reply #282 on: March 02, 2020, 04:43:56 PM »
@Highwayman667:  I'm just saying I prefer the original story.  That's what made that game great it was the story.  As for EA.  Yeah they're going down the gutter, along with Activision.  I enjoyed DAI.  It was just all the side quests that drove me crazy since I am a completionist.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2020, 04:54:16 PM by Talyn82 »

Offline Highwayman667

• Antediluvian
« Reply #283 on: March 02, 2020, 09:24:46 PM »
@Talyn82: Same here. I can do 250 hours of the Witcher 3 without batting an eyelash because those quests have A LOT of story and subtance; it's very much completionist heaven because you'll never feel like you're putting work to your own game. The DAI sidequests though... micro-nightmares !

Offline fylimar

• Methuselah
« Reply #284 on: March 03, 2020, 09:51:32 AM »
Ah - finally, I can post again. I was a Firefox victim on this side.
About male Revan being diminuished: I think, the female Revans should be more conscious about that - seeing that a white male (and a mad man on top) is considered canon. I would gladly see them taking that back. As we discussed a few pages ago: giving the player a choice and then taking it away is just mean.

About politics in games: I'm ok with games having a message, especially nowadays, where right wing politics is on the rise again everywhere. But it should fit the game and the setting - and I do like a more subtle approach. I'm not stupid, I can read between the lines. They do botch that at the moment with Doctor Who - trying to hammer in a message every episode, when DW fans are capable to understand a more subtle approach.

― Doctor Who

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal