collapse

Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Suggestions of stuff to look at  (Read 698 times)

Offline The Shadow Man

• The shadow that haunts the mind
  • Antediluvian
Suggestions of stuff to look at
« on: May 22, 2018, 03:13:52 PM »
I've been meaning to get a list of things to look at. I've haven't always had the such a keen interest in the supernatural and so I've been wanting to get a wider exposure to what exists. I have tried looking myself but there's a lot of stuff out there and I'm not sure what is best to look at then I realised I could try asking here since these are such good forums.
I asked a little while a go about video games, don't worry I  have the list of people's suggestions all saved and I will look at them in due course, I finally have enough free time to look at it all.

Below I have a list of things I'm interesting in looking at:
Vampires, Magic-users (Let’s not get caught up in nomenclature), Were-creatures (especially Werewolves), Ghosts, Spirits, Demons, Gods, Angels, Supernatural Sci-Fi, Changelings/Demigods/And the like, Dreams/Nightmares, (primarily) Adult (read mature) takes on fairy tales, Clowns, Ventriloquist Dummies, Imaginary Friends, Supernatural objects and finally interesting takes on people who hunt Supernatural creatures. I think that’s everything.

I will look at all suggestions. Video games, comics, books, etc. - anything really, whatever you want to suggest I will look at. Feel free to ask any questions. Thanks in advance.

- Note I use the term 'supernatural' in the generic sense, not in the sense of the TV show named 'Supernatural'.

Offline Raving_Neonate

• Rave.Period.
  • Methuselah
  • Raving somewhere....
Re: Suggestions of stuff to look at
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2018, 10:26:23 AM »
I'll brave a suggestion - H.P. Lovecraft, both games and books. In terms of atmosphere and narrative, it should fall into the above given category. It deals with both supernatural and the consequences of humanity playing into its hands - a good start would be the "Whisperer in the Darkness" book that contains several noteworthy stories by Lovecraft, especially the acclaimed "At the Mountains of Madness". His story, "The Dunwich Horror" is also a must.
The most acceptable game based on the Chtulhu mythos would be the famous: "Call of Cthulhu: Dark corners of the Earth" (trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfQ-Xqt-d0A). However, if you decide to go into it deeper, another first person horror game of the "Lovecraftian" type would be "Amnesia" with all of its expansion packs since it concerns itself with dementia, ghosts, occult rituals and the ilk.
I hope that I've hit near the mark.
Me: "I love lollipops!"
WoD ST: "We don't allow lollipops, because we are too dark!"

Offline Wesp5

• Administratrix
  • Antediluvian
  • Unofficial Patcher
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2018, 06:31:21 PM »
I recommend the "Dresden Files" books, they pretty much include all the supernatural elements you listed, experienced from the view of a kind of private eye/magician guy, the name giving Harry Dresden himself. Very cool, very atmospheric and very funny! The TV show though was short-lived and missed a lot of what made the books so great...

Offline The Shadow Man

• Antediluvian
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2018, 09:41:42 PM »
H.P. Lovecraft is certinally an author I've been meaning to look at, those are some good suggestions of what to look at thank you Raving Neonate. Thanks for your suggestion too Wesp, certainly sounds different which I like. All added to the list.

Offline Raving_Neonate

• Rave.Period.
  • Methuselah
  • Raving somewhere....
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2018, 10:03:10 AM »
I would like to add also several things. H.P.Lovecraft comes near the claustrophobic and hopeless atmosphere of WoD (I would argue that a portion of the actual vampire lore had been inspired by Lovecraftian ideas of inevitability - look at the degradation of humanity and you will see the point) and there is also an upcoming survival-horror RPG coming up, called "Call of Cthulhu the official game" based on the Cthulhu myths and its rich universe. There is an ample supply of reviews, comments and expectations based on the released footage by the devs on youtube, but everything I have seen up to know leads me to believe that it will be mind-blowing, but in a good way.
Another thing I wanted to suggest is if you are interested in the eastern folklore and similar stories, there is the famous "Kojiki" a chronology of creation of Japan, profuse with stories about gods, demigods and ghosts - could be an interesting material to read. There are also two good games that have been inspired by folk legends and creatures, such as the "Jade Empire" (Chinese legends) and "The  Throne of Darkness" (a diablo squad-based hack&slash set in an alternate medieval Japan with all kinds of supernaturals roaming around).
Another one would be "The incredible adventures of Van Helsing" - although a hunter game, the story is set in an imagined region of Romania where various sorts of folklore beings from the Slavic tradition that include vrikolaks, faeries and the sort roam the region. Though a hunter, the size of the bestiary could be worth a playthrough.
Me: "I love lollipops!"
WoD ST: "We don't allow lollipops, because we are too dark!"

Offline The Shadow Man

• Antediluvian
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2018, 05:01:03 PM »
Very nice Raving Neonate much appreciated. Yes all folklore is of interest to me.

Offline Mamita

• Neonate
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2018, 01:15:37 AM »
I've played Jade Empire. It's pretty good!

* Game Files