collapse

Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Sonny Toussaint Kindred: the Embraced  (Read 606 times)

Offline The Shadow Man

• Antediluvian
Sonny Toussaint Kindred: the Embraced
« on: December 04, 2017, 05:28:39 PM »
Does any know the Clan of Sonny Toussaint from Kindred: the Embraced? Its important for a project I'm working on.

Offline Signothorn

• God Hates Fangs
  • Administratrix
  • Antediluvian
Re: Sonny Toussaint Kindred: the Embraced
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2017, 08:34:00 AM »
Good question. I don't know for sure, always kinda thought Julian was probably his sire.

Offline The Shadow Man

• Antediluvian
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2017, 12:27:25 PM »
I'm kinda tempted to have him as Tremere just so I have at least one person for each of the Camarilla Clans. I already shifted the insane killer to Malkavian (he was meant to be Malkavian originally anyway).

Offline Raving_Neonate

• Rave.Period.
  • Antediluvian
  • Raving somewhere....
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2018, 08:32:22 PM »
Despite the mixed reviews, I really liked the show... a real waste that it was only a single season.
I am going with the Ventrue, since Julian is his sire.
Me: "I love lollipops!"
WoD ST: "We don't allow lollipops, because we are too dark!"

Offline The Shadow Man

• Antediluvian
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2018, 09:56:55 PM »
Shoddy start but got better episode by episode, wanted more by the end.

Offline Raving_Neonate

• Rave.Period.
  • Antediluvian
  • Raving somewhere....
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2018, 09:40:09 AM »
Shoddy start but got better episode by episode, wanted more by the end.

You could say that yes, but I read some commentary on the show online and was surprised: they criticized the cast, the clans depictions, storyline, but I find most of those remarks redundant.
First, the cast is superb, with two of my favorite absolutely nailing it: Mark Frankel (Julian Luna) and Stacey Haiduk (Lily). Another excellent performance had been done by Patrick Bauchau that played Archon. The only "iffy" performance in my opinion was that of Thomas Howell as the detective Frank, although the story needs a stubborn cop to portray the contrast between the two worlds I guess, could not find any other reason.

Depiction of clans was kind of mixed, with the Gangrels acting like the Brujah and the Brujah like the Ventrue with their insistence on stocks and power. Still, thew most accurate depiction in my opinion was that of the Nosferatu and Toreador, while the Ventrue could have gotten a bit more spotlight.

Offline The Shadow Man

• Antediluvian
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2018, 12:28:30 AM »
Well it was a bit soap opera-y to start with, thankfully it became less so as it went along. Some more moral ambiguity would have been appreciated.

The whole Clan wars bit kinda fell flat because as you said most of the Clans didn't have much in the way of identity nor the right identity. The Nosfeartu primogen Daedalus really stands out, though if he looked more disfigured/inhuman that would have made his great performance more convincing.

There was no reason for the Police detective, if anything he was just a nuisance, but as far as I can work out Americans are obsessed with cop shows for some reason so I guess that explains that. The whole supernatural cop combo works much better in Lucifer but then again Frank isn't in the vampire world, he's just an outsider complaining about it and winning about the law.

The whole sunlight thing bothers, ok letting vampires go out in sunlight is fine but then using it as an excuse to kill them sometimes? I know they couldn't always do night shoots because of money but the excuse being that blood protects them is just lazy and implies they don't really have to feed which is naff.

Offline deicide

• Ancillus
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2018, 01:45:34 AM »
There was no reason for the Police detective, if anything he was just a nuisance, but as far as I can work out Americans are obsessed with cop shows for some reason so I guess that explains that.
Cops and fags / Make good-looking models (c). Should apologize for quoting a top notch one, but just couldn't resist.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 01:51:14 AM by deicide »

Offline Raving_Neonate

• Rave.Period.
  • Antediluvian
  • Raving somewhere....
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2018, 01:50:50 PM »
I think that here is the keyword: "compromise", made in both places where it should have been and where it should have not been done.
I am not bothered by the sunlight thing at all - I mean it is important, but I can understand why they did what they did. However, the one thing I find perplexing is the scope of the show or if you rather the scope of a single episode as such: to fit in the larger portions of the lore with the look at the characters as individuals in their own right is a hard thing to do. Within the eight episodes of the 1st season a lot has been put in if you would write it down on the paper: the jyhad, clans, characters, fragments of past, contemplation about the nature of death etc. It would have been much more beneficial to have started on a bit more smaller scale, but maybe the producers would have liked to expand on the given universe in the second season but for the already known reasons we will be denied of that speculation.

Offline The Shadow Man

• Antediluvian
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2018, 03:09:14 PM »
I am not bothered by the sunlight thing at all - I mean it is important, but I can understand why they did what they did.

I know exactly why they did what they did, not enough money for enough night shoots and not enough time to rewrite. To be honest in my mine there's only really three options for it; they die in sunlight, they don't die in sunlight or they only die in sunlight within circumstances that are over to the audience (if they've drunk blood or how much really isn't obvious nor is it a good explanation).

One of the show's main point of fail seem the attempt to make it a soap opera, cop show, VTM mix. Cop show and VtM mix might have worked but it would have required a rewrite for sure. Soap opera should never have been touched with a ten foot pole.

Offline Radical21

• Antediluvian
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2018, 10:12:33 PM »
He's Ventrue obviously , especially since its made obvious that Julian is his Sire.  Also I think most if not all of the kindred working at the police station are ventrue because that's how they roll in Kindred the Embraced : every clan controls a sector of the population :  Toreador controls the nightlife scene, Gangrels control the Street brats and bikers, Brujah control the docks as mobsters and Ventrue control most of the other legitimate business and authorties, Nosferatu pretty much hide in the shadows .

Malkavians and Tremere do not feature in Kindred the embraced except maybe as guest characters.(Nightstalker) They would've probably made an intro in 2nd season if the main actor didn't die.

By the way night shots is not all about money, its just not easy to film everything at night and its hard on the actors, even Vampire Diaries that at one point had so much budget couldn't afford to do all night show because it would take a toll on their regular cast.

Reason for the cop in the show is that viewers need a regular guy to introduce them to the world of kindred.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 10:19:09 PM by Radical21 »

Offline The Shadow Man

• Antediluvian
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2018, 10:46:21 PM »
He's Ventrue obviously , especially since its made obvious that Julian is his Sire. 
I must have missed this.

Also I think most if not all of the kindred working at the police station are ventrue because that's how they roll in Kindred the Embraced : every clan controls a sector of the population :  Toreador controls the nightlife scene, Gangrels control the Street brats and bikers, Brujah control the docks as mobsters and Ventrue control most of the other legitimate business and authorties, Nosferatu pretty much hide in the shadows
This adds a lot more clarity to what was going on thanks.

Malkavians and Tremere do not feature in Kindred the embraced except maybe as guest characters.(Nightstalker) They would've probably made an intro in 2nd season if the main actor didn't die.
Actually either Malkavians or Tremere appeared, the new vampire in Nightstalker was originally meant to be Malkavian but it was changed to Gangrel.

By the way night shots is not all about money, its just not easy to film everything at night and its hard on the actors, even Vampire Diaries that at one point had so much budget couldn't afford to do all night show because it would take a toll on their regular cast.
I only heard it was about budget. The only reason it bothers is that it feels cheap to make it so it only kill them sometimes and not others especially without something obvious to the audience stopping it or causing it.

Reason for the cop in the show is that viewers need a regular guy to introduce them to the world of kindred.
Good idea, poor execution.

Offline Yosiel

• Neonate
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2018, 12:13:33 AM »

Hey since we are talking about this I will put a video review of what I watched of Kindred here, I enjoyed most of her points specially how they changed the Gangrel to the Brujah but the main Gangrel never was feral but rather a lap dog of the main Ventrue. We will see if the 5e will gather enough audience for a new fiction, or at least, a web-series.

https://youtu .be/ lnTL_XRr-Yo

Offline Raving_Neonate

• Rave.Period.
  • Antediluvian
  • Raving somewhere....
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2018, 09:43:39 AM »
Either way, despite its shortcomings I still love the show and from my point of the view, I think that the actors gave their best as they played. Eric King has also done an admirable job, portraying a childe that is not a bland character but a rather interesting motley of Camarilla ideals (Jack interjects: "Don't think that the Camarilla has the monopoly on those ideas, ok kid?") and humanity.

* Game Files