collapse

Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: So Castelvania is on Netflix...  (Read 54 times)

Offline Raving_Neonate

• Rave.Period.
  • Methuselah
  • Raving somewhere....
So Castelvania is on Netflix...
« on: July 16, 2017, 08:30:22 AM »
Many of you have probably heard that Castlevania is now on Netflix. The avalanche and ovations that these series started doesn't subside even now: everyone became psyched up about it. I personally think that it is OK, since I really can't come to terms with hardcore anime style that it propagates and the bright colors. If it has to be anime (the franchise is taking place in Europe right?) let it be in a similar fashion that we saw in Lament of Innocence, Curse of Darkness etc where somber colors, darker atmosphere and the overall feeling of claustrophobia and struggle was present, though I would like to see a more "Western" style of drawing. Despite the general adult character in terms of blood and gore of the series, a bit more focus on the inside stories of the characters and their inner storms would be welcome. When the authors began deepening the story of the third NES game that the Netflix series are based upon, they can add more gusto and flavor.
Any opinions?

The meaning of elegance is not to be noticed, it is to be remembered.

Offline Radical21

• Antediluvian
Re: So Castelvania is on Netflix...
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2017, 08:54:28 PM »
Many of you have probably heard that Castlevania is now on Netflix. The avalanche and ovations that these series started doesn't subside even now: everyone became psyched up about it. I personally think that it is OK, since I really can't come to terms with hardcore anime style that it propagates and the bright colors. If it has to be anime (the franchise is taking place in Europe right?) let it be in a similar fashion that we saw in Lament of Innocence, Curse of Darkness etc where somber colors, darker atmosphere and the overall feeling of claustrophobia and struggle was present, though I would like to see a more "Western" style of drawing. Despite the general adult character in terms of blood and gore of the series, a bit more focus on the inside stories of the characters and their inner storms would be welcome. When the authors began deepening the story of the third NES game that the Netflix series are based upon, they can add more gusto and flavor.
Any opinions?

Castlevania was always made by Konami, a Japanese company that founded many franchises including Metal Gear,, it has nothing to do with being western.

The series is 4 episodes and was already renewed for a 2nd season featuring an 8-episode order.

My review:
Spoiler for Hiden:
Personally I enjoyed it and I thought the story that lets us empathize with Dracula's side to begin with, was very well delivered.
What I didn't like about the writing: The protagonist occasionally repeats stuff to the point where I have to say "ok, we get it already".

The drawings and especially the backgrounds were really good and figures were decently proportioned, I think in attempt to mimic western style, either way looks good. However outside of the many action scenes I thought the animation itself was fairly stiff. I expect better animation in the 2nd season since its officially picked up.

Voice acting was very good and even featured some famous actors. I also thought the bits of humor were scarce enough to be well placed and not take away from the established gloomy atmosphere.

I'll probably hold off on terminating my Netflix account for a while longer

Offline WhiteRussian

• Society of Leopold
  • Methuselah
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2017, 02:21:10 AM »
I loved it.
If you love something let it go. If it doesn't return, hunt it down and kill it.

Offline Raving_Neonate

• Rave.Period.
  • Methuselah
  • Raving somewhere....
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2017, 07:21:31 PM »
Any opinions?

Castlevania was always made by Konami, a Japanese company that founded many franchises including Metal Gear,, it has nothing to do with being western.

The series is 4 episodes and was already renewed for a 2nd season featuring an 8-episode order.

My review:
Spoiler for Hiden:
Personally I enjoyed it and I thought the story that lets us empathize with Dracula's side to begin with, was very well delivered.
What I didn't like about the writing: The protagonist occasionally repeats stuff to the point where I have to say "ok, we get it already".

The drawings and especially the backgrounds were really good and figures were decently proportioned, I think in attempt to mimic western style, either way looks good. However outside of the many action scenes I thought the animation itself was fairly stiff. I expect better animation in the 2nd season since its officially picked up.

Voice acting was very good and even featured some famous actors. I also thought the bits of humor were scarce enough to be well placed and not take away from the established gloomy atmosphere.

I'll probably hold off on terminating my Netflix account for a while longer

When I said "Western" I was referring to the overall setting of the franchise: medieval Europe, Romania in an alternate version of the medieval times and everything in between. For me, the best Castlevania game out there is Order of Ecclesia with its grim tone - the art is more dark and precise than the one in Portrait of Ruin and the last of the DS games that are straight out of a Shonen Jump's anime. Ever since I played the nes versions, Castlevania had nothing bright for me: the story in the Lords of Shadow (contrary to popular belief) is also a superb iteration of the original universe with characters who are easier to identify with, or at least for me.
The meaning of elegance is not to be noticed, it is to be remembered.

* Game Files