collapse

Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Paid mods 2.0  (Read 180 times)

Offline Michael

• Methuselah
Paid mods 2.0
« on: June 15, 2017, 10:08:09 AM »
It's happening again ...
The Creation Club was introduced by Bethesda at E3. Everyone will have to start paying for community made content packs. Again. :irritated:

« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 02:33:21 PM by Michael »

Offline Sabbat_stalker

• Fledgling
Re: Paid mods 2.0
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2017, 10:36:13 AM »
Here we go again .....
I dont mind giving a little something to modders for their effort but this is always has been  implemented in such way that the publisher is the only one winning.

Offline Michael

• Methuselah
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2017, 10:47:07 AM »
Yes, they want more than 50% of the revenue because it's their engine and games.
Bethesda wants to control the modding stage and may even limit their tools in the future like Creative Assembly did with their games.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 10:55:12 AM by Michael »

Offline Sabbat_stalker

• Fledgling
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2017, 11:51:28 AM »
I find it espcially irritating that this is coming from Bethesda wehn half of their games have to improved by the community to be enjoyable. If anything this will just encourage people to pirate their game and if as you say this actively restrict how you can mod the game then there really is no benefit for anyone in the long run (including Bethesda)

Offline Michael

• Methuselah
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2017, 01:48:34 PM »
I find it espcially irritating that this is coming from Bethesda wehn half of their games have to improved by the community to be enjoyable.

That's true. Every game since Daggerfall was modded and improved by the community. People went as far as porting Daggerfall to Unity to be able to improve some horrible design choices and random bugs/crashes. Every Elder Scrolls game I've played had an Unofficial Patch. Morrowind even had a community made memory patch if I recall correctly.

If anything this will just encourage people to pirate their game and if as you say this actively restrict how you can mod the game then there really is no benefit for anyone in the long run (including Bethesda)

I'm not entirely sure how this will work. Maybe they're going to contact certain modders, make them sign a contract and give them access to the full modding tools. Then the mods will be released as DLCs licensed by Bethesda Softworks. They would get most of the profits because they are the ones who developed the software to make it all happen. And of course, for the Quality Assurance that Bethesda will provide for the developed content packs. From what I saw, this would be similar to how id Software contracted programmers to make expansions packs for their games. It's a business model close to that Bethesda wants to adopt.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 02:07:58 PM by Michael »

Offline Michael

• Methuselah
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2017, 02:12:29 PM »
On a side note, the mudcrab armor looks very useful. Definitely something we'd want to buy.

Offline Raving_Neonate

• Rave.Period.
  • Methuselah
  • Raving somewhere....
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2017, 01:01:35 PM »
Control stunts like this usually fail miserably. "Betsy" is not a company that is known for great optimization.
The meaning of elegance is not to be noticed, it is to be remembered.

* Game Files