collapse

Author Topic: Movie Reviews  (Read 38412 times)

Offline Radical21

• Antediluvian
Re: Movie Reviews
« Reply #330 on: January 14, 2016, 09:45:59 PM »
I still disagree with you about this but there are whole threads on Reddit dedicated to this and I don't really feel like continuing this back and fourth to address your interpretations of the original trilogy..

https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsLeaks/comments/3xc4m4/kylo_rens_amazingly_powered_up_force_abilities/

http://scifi.stackexchange.com/questions/111240/is-kylo-ren-talented-with-the-force-or-not

Offline Wesp5

• Administratrix
  • Antediluvian
  • Unofficial Patcher
« Reply #331 on: January 15, 2016, 09:09:32 AM »
I still disagree with you about this but there are whole threads on Reddit dedicated to this and I don't really feel like continuing this back and fourth to address your interpretations of the original trilogy..

I agree, it makes no sense discussing the deeper implications because JJ obviously doesn't care at all about consistency with the universe his movies play in, see Star Trek reboot. If it looks good, he'll do it!

Offline Radical21

• Antediluvian
« Reply #332 on: January 15, 2016, 08:18:24 PM »
Yeah lets not bring that up,  its bad enough that we can't run a decent Star Trek RPG due to how the Star Trek lore was abused by various writers over the years. (Bad enough that people create Star Trek Anime style characters and call them canon)

I do recommend Edge of the Empire by Fantasy Flight Games for Star Wars RPG though. The way they handle the Force seems right.

Offline Porphyria

• Antediluvian
« Reply #333 on: January 26, 2016, 02:41:51 AM »
Hmm... Good points about the weapon and Rey. My complaint of the weapon was that it too closely resembled the Death Star.

Also, upon watching the second time, it really struck me how thin of a reason
Spoiler for Hiden:
Finn has for leaving the Empire when they are raised and conditioned from a very young age, to the point the commander prefers them over clones. And Finn balks at shooting some villagers? Meh... we could have had such a better reason. Finn gets knocked out, for example, and is concealed by some debris or sand and thought dead. The Imperials leave and he is left behind to fend for himself, slowly turning into a good guy while trying to get off the planet. When he finally gets off, it's via the Imp... First Order which tries to reintegrate him and then he helps Poe escape. Seemed like really lazy writing for this conditioned since youth soldier not to pull the trigger on supposedly his first mission out.

Also, I saw the major spoiler of the movie coming a long way off and while I didn't hate it, I must say I prefer the storyline of the books better.

Still, I think The Force Awakens has revived the actual essence of the original movies far more than the prequels ever did (or will) and it was definitely worth seeing again.

SPOILERS...............................

I agree with this. I mean Starkiller base didn't really need to happen, but I guess it was kind of a plot vehicle more than a driving force like the Death Star(s) were. "This story important shit can happen here and these characters can go here because reasons" I'm not going to get nitpicky into how it does what it can do to planets because it's sci-fi. Neil Degrasse Tyson wasn't in that movie. Yeah, Finn was a little light on motivation, I can agree with that. It lets you fill in the blanks yourself. He's pretty young and maybe hadn't seen a lot of active duty. Maybe he's just a pussy. Maybe he's been on the construction crew for Starkiller base since he was six and finally assigned to something else. Didn't he mention at one point he was like a janitor or something?

I didn't think I would, but I really liked BB8. Something about its shape gives it a lot more personality. It wasn't overused, but just enough. I loved the fact that storm troopers were given more personality.

I disliked the fact I didn't get to see an actual force-choke or lightning. Maybe next time lol

Offline Nigama

• Dead
  • Antediluvian
« Reply #334 on: January 29, 2016, 03:55:14 AM »
Just watched "What We Do in the Shadows" last night. Hilariously funny mockumentary about four vampires living in a flat in New Zealand. Petyr was definitely my favorite of the four of them. :)

If you want a laugh and enjoy some good vampire jokes, you'll enjoy it.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3416742/

So the director of this "mockumentary" is tied up with some big Hollywood films at the moment, but already announced the title of the sequel to "What We Do in the Shadows" is going to be called "We're Wolves."  Heh. Lovely. I only wish it were coming out sooner. The werewolves were a very funny part of the first movie and the play on words for the title is just delicious! I mean... I'd eat it raw! I mean.. it's very good!  Yes, that's it!
"You may not remember us, but we may be responsible for your lack of memory."

Offline Radical21

• Antediluvian
« Reply #335 on: January 29, 2016, 07:11:46 AM »

I disliked the fact I didn't get to see an actual force-choke or lightning. Maybe next time lol

Did you miss part of the movie? because Kylo ren definitely choked one of the messengers.

Offline Porphyria

• Antediluvian
« Reply #336 on: March 27, 2016, 02:47:20 PM »
Was not a Darth Vader style force choke. He's not powerful enough for that anyway.

Offline Ventrueloquist

• Methuselah
« Reply #337 on: April 06, 2016, 11:41:20 AM »
Batman V Superman is a really long, but quite good movie. If you don't like superhero movies and don't like attempts at problematizing superheroes, then you won't like this movie. It's also darker, akin to Nolan's movies and Man of Steel. Zack Snyder directed Man of Steel and has also directed Batman V Superman. There are several subplots, telling us about Batman's and Superman's daily/nightly lives and then they all get together and become one happy family... no, not really.

The action sequences are good and even though it's 2½ hours, I liked the pacing. Jesse Eisenberg does a young, energetic and slightly excentric Lex Luthor, quite different from other versions of that character. It's certainly a notch up from Man of Steel when it comes to premise, plot and most stuff, even though I really liked Man of Steel. If you can leave your fanboy/critical mind at home, then you'll enjoy it the most.

Offline BrooklynVentrue

• Neonate
« Reply #338 on: April 06, 2016, 08:20:36 PM »
I thought Batman vs. Superman was awful. Not Catwoman awful, but pretty damn shitty.

The writing, the editing/pacing, the characters' motivations, the action, were all horrific.

Offline Oscar

• Remember
  • Antediluvian
« Reply #339 on: May 19, 2016, 12:42:19 PM »
Thought I'd say hi!

As person who is interested both in history and the frontier, I have to say I found The Revenant very appealing.

Surprise of the year was The Drop, crime drama.

Can't really think of anything else now..

ps. Work sucks.
My father is Dirty Harry, my mother is Bloody Mary

Offline Signothorn

• God Hates Fangs
  • Administratrix
  • Antediluvian
« Reply #340 on: August 10, 2016, 12:46:21 AM »
I haven't seen it yet, but I'm totally going to see the Phantasm 4k remaster next month, then the 5th and final film in the series Oct 7th.

Offline El_Gostro

• Unposting posting poster unposting postitions
  • Antediluvian
  • Shifting
« Reply #341 on: April 14, 2019, 01:00:37 PM »
NECROMANCING THIS THREAD!!!!

Any pre 2010 movie reccomendations?

Offline El_Gostro

• Antediluvian
  • Shifting
« Reply #342 on: April 14, 2019, 03:07:28 PM »
Recently Saw zero theorem from Terry Gilliam and so many years after the last time seeing one of his flicks I am somewhat saddened that the effect has not only changed on this iteration but brought me to reflect on previous works and find that Gilliam seems to re-visit- if not rehash the same story over and over and dressing it down with a signature aesthethic not unlike the Tim Burton meme:

Socially impaired unhappy protagonist living in hedonistic dystopia  enslaved to an impersonal bureaucratic superstructure, a romantic interest shatters his ennui and pushes him to futilely fight back against the system only to find himself lost in a maelstrom of betrayal,defeat and reality crumbling.
Cue in an ambiguous resolution where amidst all the chaos the protagonist seeks immolation and instead is thrust into a sort of forced peace in an entirely virtual and personal realm because the "system" - at least in a physical sense- always wins.

Brazil , 12 monkeys , zero theorem pretty much fit the bill. Arguably the imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus ?

Addendum: Life of Brian also seems fits the scheme.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2019, 03:17:04 PM by El_Gostro »

Offline Azrael

• Apathetic Toreador
  • Methuselah
« Reply #343 on: April 15, 2019, 09:30:26 PM »
NECROMANCING THIS THREAD!!!!

Any pre 2010 movie reccomendations?

Literally hundreds. Genre preference?

Edit: I should do a review if I'm gonna post, huh?

I just saw Tokyo Story (1953) the other day. An aging couple in post-war, rapidly industrializing Japan visit their grown children in Tokyo and find out that their presence is considered a burden, in their children's lives and in the new world growing up around them.

I viewed it because I'm on a Kurosawa kick and it came highly recommended and it occurred to me I have relatively little understanding of post-war Japanese life and culture.

I didn't like it at ALL while I was watching it but the themes and the imagery and the performances, for lack of better term, haunted me, for weeks afterward. It's insidiously emotionally effective cinema for sure.

Really worth a viewing. 4/5 stars.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 09:38:42 PM by Azrael »
- az
Like Like x 1 View List

Offline El_Gostro

• Antediluvian
  • Shifting
« Reply #344 on: April 15, 2019, 10:29:26 PM »
Gonna look for it, sounds like a catch!