collapse

Author Topic: Movie Reviews  (Read 38428 times)

Offline Wesp5

• Administratrix
  • Antediluvian
  • Unofficial Patcher
Re: Movie Reviews
« Reply #315 on: December 17, 2015, 08:22:31 PM »
Even though I'm a great fan of the original movies, I'm thinking that this might be the best Star Wars movie to date.

I haven't seen it yet, but from the trailers and some spoilerfree reviews I suspect it's quite a bit like a remake of A New Hope, which for me was the first and best SW movie. This would be a bit boring, so is it true (no spoilers)?

Offline Nigama

• Dead
  • Antediluvian
« Reply #316 on: December 17, 2015, 09:26:49 PM »
I'm gonna go see it tomorrow.
"You may not remember us, but we may be responsible for your lack of memory."

Offline Ventrueloquist

• Methuselah
« Reply #317 on: December 18, 2015, 09:22:50 AM »
Even though I'm a great fan of the original movies, I'm thinking that this might be the best Star Wars movie to date.

I haven't seen it yet, but from the trailers and some spoilerfree reviews I suspect it's quite a bit like a remake of A New Hope, which for me was the first and best SW movie. This would be a bit boring, so is it true (no spoilers)?
Yes and no. It borrows quite heavily from A New Hope, but is different in many ways. There's a lot of other stuff going around too that makes it feel like its own movie. I like Return of the Jedi most because I'm crazy about closure.

Offline Wesp5

• Administratrix
  • Antediluvian
  • Unofficial Patcher
« Reply #318 on: December 18, 2015, 11:28:48 AM »
I like Return of the Jedi most because I'm crazy about closure.

I agree with you on closure, but for me ROTJ was the weakest of the old films because it already borrowed too heavily from ANH: We start out on a desert planet and end up with the destruction of a Deathstar. It looks a bit as if the same plotline is going on in TFA once more! This is dissappointing especially as ANH and ESB back to back show how different and still good SW films can be...

Offline Ventrueloquist

• Methuselah
« Reply #319 on: December 18, 2015, 01:57:58 PM »
I never liked that ESB ended with a cliffhanger, ANH felt like it was a self-contained movie, while RoTJ had fun new sequences like at Jabba's palace and Endor, not to mention the big confrontation. The Emperor has some of his best lines there and I simply like that it ties everything up.

This first film has a lot of nods to the original films, but I think that's partially to get the fans' trust back. They play it safe for the first movie, showing that they know what we like. The next movies will probably be quite different, because now both the fans and the studio knows that they can pull off a great Star Wars movie. At least that's what I think and what I've heard about VIII and IX. They're bringing in different directors for each movie, so that's something that might guarantee some changes.

I also read on Wikipedia that VIII is released May 26 2017, only 1 ½ year after Force Awakens instead of the 3 years we had to wait previously between movies for the original and prequel trilogy. Then there'll be spin-off movies as well, with the first one a year from now. As long as the other movies are good I don't have a problem with them releasing so often.

Offline Porphyria

• Antediluvian
« Reply #320 on: January 09, 2016, 11:00:02 PM »
What do you think about this other movie Star Wars: Rogue One that is coming out at Christmas next year?? It's also Disney/Lucasfilm but I'm not sure how much collaboration there is on it since I think the filming is mostly done for it. It's supposed to be a contained story that is a direct prequel to A New Hope, where some rebels find the plans for the first death star.

So.......Darth Vader.....could be in it???? *hopes*

It could also be complete shit.

I really liked the Force Awakens. I laughed and I cried like an idiot and I felt emotionally drained leaving the show. I want to go back and watch it again because I know there are so many little details I want to catch. Does it have its flaws? Yes, but it's a very competent showing from J.J and the nostalgia was great, for me. I'm the type of idiot that got all smiley when a little mouse droid went bleeping past during a scene at the Imperial/New Order base lol

Also, this was the only show I have been to where the audience literally applauded at both the beginning and the end of the movie. The only one. I went to the Phantom Menace way back. This did not happen then. In fact, I think I saw all the prequels in the theater.....don't judge me lol

P.S ~ James Earl Jones is still alive......just sayin'

Offline Nigama

• Dead
  • Antediluvian
« Reply #321 on: January 10, 2016, 02:29:51 AM »
Yeah I'm actually gonna go see it for a second time on Monday. First time was all the hype and expectation and newness... now that that's done I wanna go back and take a more critical look at it.

I'm looking forward to Rogue One. Should be badass.

Offline Wesp5

• Administratrix
  • Antediluvian
  • Unofficial Patcher
« Reply #322 on: January 10, 2016, 01:22:38 PM »
Does it have its flaws? Yes, but it's a very competent showing from J.J and the nostalgia was great, for me.

I was rather disappointed because most of the cool stuff was taken from ANH and ROTJ, not only the plot but most of the characters too, and even then JJ managed to merge Luke and Han into Anakin like power-gamer Rey who just can do anything and Kyle is a really weak evil guy compared to Vader. And don't even get me started abou tthe stupid Starkiller base! Compared to TFA the old trilogie films are logicad hard-fiction ;)!

Offline Radical21

• Antediluvian
« Reply #323 on: January 13, 2016, 10:06:22 PM »
Does it have its flaws? Yes, but it's a very competent showing from J.J and the nostalgia was great, for me.

I was rather disappointed because most of the cool stuff was taken from ANH and ROTJ, not only the plot but most of the characters too, and even then JJ managed to merge Luke and Han into Anakin like power-gamer Rey who just can do anything and Kyle is a really weak evil guy compared to Vader. And don't even get me started abou tthe stupid Starkiller base! Compared to TFA the old trilogie films are logicad hard-fiction ;)!

The Starkiller base harness the power of a star, something humanity will one day know how to do .

Rey is not really a power-gamer , she is just a puny padawan.  and Kylo Ren is not on the same power level as Anakin because he is on the twilight of the force , he is something yet to be fully realized because of his conflict.

I will agree however that the film was somewhat derivative, but its JJ's first star wars so he probably wanted to play it safe . I already wrote notes to make the sequel more interesting and dynamic , only wish I could send them to the writer somehow.

Offline Wesp5

• Administratrix
  • Antediluvian
  • Unofficial Patcher
« Reply #324 on: January 13, 2016, 11:00:20 PM »
The Starkiller base harness the power of a star, something humanity will one day know how to do.

The weapon was still complete bullshit even in the context of the SW universe. It sends out a slow red plasma beam that somehow can hit planets in other solar systems and even flies curves doing so? Impossible, inside the SW universe only hyperspace breaks the light barrier!

Rey is not really a power-gamer , she is just a puny padawan.

Oh no! She can fly and repair the Falcon better than Solo. She speaks Astromech and Wookie better than any rebel pilot. She can break Kylo's mind reading and turn it around. She can mind control a Stormtrooper on the first try. She would have killed Kylo using a light saber for the first time, if not the convenient rift has turned up. That is even worse than Harry-Potter-Superstar! It doesn't even make sense if she is Lukes daughter, because he needed three movies to defeat Vader and he lost his hand doing so all the same...

Offline Nigama

• Dead
  • Antediluvian
« Reply #325 on: January 14, 2016, 05:55:46 AM »
Hmm... Good points about the weapon and Rey. My complaint of the weapon was that it too closely resembled the Death Star.

Also, upon watching the second time, it really struck me how thin of a reason
Spoiler for Hiden:
Finn has for leaving the Empire when they are raised and conditioned from a very young age, to the point the commander prefers them over clones. And Finn balks at shooting some villagers? Meh... we could have had such a better reason. Finn gets knocked out, for example, and is concealed by some debris or sand and thought dead. The Imperials leave and he is left behind to fend for himself, slowly turning into a good guy while trying to get off the planet. When he finally gets off, it's via the Imp... First Order which tries to reintegrate him and then he helps Poe escape. Seemed like really lazy writing for this conditioned since youth soldier not to pull the trigger on supposedly his first mission out.

Also, I saw the major spoiler of the movie coming a long way off and while I didn't hate it, I must say I prefer the storyline of the books better.

Still, I think The Force Awakens has revived the actual essence of the original movies far more than the prequels ever did (or will) and it was definitely worth seeing again.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2016, 05:57:46 AM by Nigama »

Offline Radical21

• Antediluvian
« Reply #326 on: January 14, 2016, 11:13:20 AM »
The Starkiller base harness the power of a star, something humanity will one day know how to do.

The weapon was still complete bullshit even in the context of the SW universe. It sends out a slow red plasma beam that somehow can hit planets in other solar systems and even flies curves doing so? Impossible, inside the SW universe only hyperspace breaks the light barrier!

Light can bend due to electromagnetism, that is 1 ... also a strong enough beam can theoretically reach across light-years. How much power a giant focused beam like that would have after that distance and its acceleration is arguable but there is probably more to it than that.

You would have probably called High Energy Lasers impossible science fiction a couple of years back , today it can fit inside a truck or an air-plane and have devastating power.
Rey is not really a power-gamer , she is just a puny padawan.

Oh no! She can fly and repair the Falcon better than Solo. She speaks Astromech and Wookie better than any rebel pilot. She can break Kylo's mind reading and turn it around. She can mind control a Stormtrooper on the first try. She would have killed Kylo using a light saber for the first time, if not the convenient rift has turned up. That is even worse than Harry-Potter-Superstar! It doesn't even make sense if she is Lukes daughter, because he needed three movies to defeat Vader and he lost his hand doing so all the same...

She is a salvager and it did take her some time to figure it out, Han solo is an old man who didn't see the Falcon in years, give him a break..  Speaking to Astromechs or Wookies is something pretty much taken for granted, if luke could do it in the first film. 
And yeah she is strong with the force. Kylo ren could have killed her but he wanted her to be his Padawan (Kylo : 'You need to learn how to use the force ,I can help you Hanna') , so he paused there instead of finishing her because he is conflicted with the light side of the force , even after all he did+ he was badly wounded if you recall..

Kylo Ren is not as strong in the force as Vader, that is why he was temped to the dark side and that is why he is still a Padawan, that much was obvious to begin with and that is why he was serving Snoke instead of surpassing him.
Spoiler for Hiden:
If you recall at the end of the movie snoke says its time for Ren to complete his training

Hmm... Good points about the weapon and Rey. My complaint of the weapon was that it too closely resembled the Death Star.

Also, upon watching the second time, it really struck me how thin of a reason
Spoiler for Hiden:
Finn has for leaving the Empire when they are raised and conditioned from a very young age, to the point the commander prefers them over clones. And Finn balks at shooting some villagers? Meh... we could have had such a better reason. Finn gets knocked out, for example, and is concealed by some debris or sand and thought dead. The Imperials leave and he is left behind to fend for himself, slowly turning into a good guy while trying to get off the planet. When he finally gets off, it's via the Imp... First Order which tries to reintegrate him and then he helps Poe escape. Seemed like really lazy writing for this conditioned since youth soldier not to pull the trigger on supposedly his first mission out.

Also, I saw the major spoiler of the movie coming a long way off and while I didn't hate it, I must say I prefer the storyline of the books better.

Still, I think The Force Awakens has revived the actual essence of the original movies far more than the prequels ever did (or will) and it was definitely worth seeing again.

Yeah I think Finn was kind of a very loosely written character, both because he doesn't know how dehydrated people act(which was pretty obvious to me and I only watched it the first time) and what you said : his background story unfolds way too fast for us to believe it.

I actually would have written it differently : I would have written it that he was conditioned to a degree that he loses control of his actions (Order 66 style) and although his minds blanks out when that happens , he eventually realized that he murders innocents in cold blood like that and he is horrified.

That said the reason not do that is that the movie is meant to appeal to teenagers also and JJ wanted to present Finn to us as a good guy, so he did not want to risk us seeing him as a bad-guy first.. (even though he seemed like a bad actor first with the whole 'Look at me , I'm running around like a headless chicken because I forgot that dehydrated people can barely move themselves without getting a total heatstroke'.)
« Last Edit: January 14, 2016, 11:25:22 AM by Radical21 »

Offline Wesp5

• Administratrix
  • Antediluvian
  • Unofficial Patcher
« Reply #327 on: January 14, 2016, 01:05:13 PM »
How much power a giant focused beam like that would have after that distance and its acceleration is arguable but there is probably more to it than that.

It still makes no sense, because even at the speed of light it would have taken thousands of years for the beam to reach the target system without a hyperspace jump which wasn't shown. Even worse, from another system light years away the resistance sees the explosions at the same time! Why doesn't anyone explain JJ what the meaning of "lightyear" is in the first place?

Speaking to Astromechs or Wookies is something pretty much taken for granted, if luke could do it in the first film.

No, Luke could never do this. For R2 there was 3PO as translator or his ship computer screen. For Chewie Han had to translate everytime! Besides that this is more reasonable than Ms. Super-Chick managing everything because it's in the script, getting only half a conversation from 3PO or Han created many funny moments, even in TFA, which are probably lost in the future!

And yeah she is strong with the force. Kylo ren could have killed her...

Still she beat him in mind reading, which is another feature besides stopping a blaster bolt in midair that even stronger Force user never showed. The last feat doesn't make much sense either as the energy surely must have dissipated on its own in that time and holding it while doing something else is in complete contrast to how weak and uncontrolled Kyle is shown later.

Offline Radical21

• Antediluvian
« Reply #328 on: January 14, 2016, 01:29:24 PM »

It still makes no sense, because even at the speed of light it would have taken thousands of years for the beam to reach the target system without a hyperspace jump which wasn't shown. Even worse, from another system light years away the resistance sees the explosions at the same time! Why doesn't anyone explain JJ what the meaning of "lightyear" is in the first place?

Well yeah that is true, I think its probably not the worse thing George lucas has written though.

As for Rey she is a tech salvager , its not unreasonable for her to understand how to talk to Droids. And what are you talking about , you think C3PO was there to translate for Luke when he was on Degobah? no he wasn't and Luke was able to understand R2 just fine... same goes when they were flying the X-wing together.
C3PO was only there to translate Astromech for us , the viewers , not for the other characters! its why he always says "R2 and I have decided .... "

As for mind reading, Darth Vader was able to read Luke's mind in Return of the Jedi , that is how he found out about Leia, its limited a limited form of mind reading of course but its there. For the rest the Force is the Force, it is not something so linear and its not like you have the RPG stats for Rey and Kylo Ren.

You seem to imagine The Force as Disciplines in Vampires, it isn't because the Jedi are able to manipulate the force, but the force itself is something that doesn't come from them.
(And speaking of Disciplines, you are perfectly comfortable believing that a Fledging in Bloodlines can resist Lacroix and  defeat the sheriff so how is that different?)

And Again you ignore the fact that Kylo Ren was badly injured when he fought Rey and he still nearly took her out

« Last Edit: January 14, 2016, 01:38:53 PM by Radical21 »

Offline Wesp5

• Administratrix
  • Antediluvian
  • Unofficial Patcher
« Reply #329 on: January 14, 2016, 07:46:54 PM »
Well yeah that is true, I think its probably not the worse thing George lucas has written though.

GL did not write anything for TFA, this time it was JJ and Kasdan and both together wrote more technological bullshit in one movie than GL did in six :(!

As for Rey she is a tech salvager , its not unreasonable for her to understand how to talk to Droids.

Why? BB is the latest hightech starfighter version. The junkyard guy giving her food was really surprised and wanted to get BB right away because there are no droids like this around. Even if she did learn the language before somehow, it's a bad movie screenplay if this isn't mentioned.

No he wasn't and Luke was able to understand R2 just fine... same goes when they were flying the X-wing together.

In the X-Wing you always saw the translation on the screen and on Dagobah Luke was just second guessing :).

As for mind reading, Darth Vader was able to read Luke's mind in Return of the Jedi , that is how he found out about Leia, its limited a limited form of mind reading of course but its there.

The problem with this whole thing is that Vader tortured Leia in ANH and didn't read her mind. Of course this was because you couldn't do something like this with the Force then ;). Now you could argue that Leia blocked him like Rey did with Kylo because she was his daughter, but then Vader would have felt that she was strong in the Force and probably even recognized her as his child.

(And speaking of Disciplines, you are perfectly comfortable believing that a Fledging in Bloodlines can resist Lacroix and defeat the sheriff so how is that different?)

Bloodlines is a game and the player learns a lot duing it's course. The player is easily dominated by LaCroix in the beginning, but has improved a lot in the end. Just look at the stats :)! On the other hand Rey had no contact with the Force whatsoever and was able to block Kylo on her first try. So even an old computer game like Bloodlines is more reasonable than this new movie ;)!

And Again you ignore the fact that Kylo Ren was badly injured when he fought Rey and he still nearly took her out.

That is not relevant for the mind reading bit, also Luke injured Vader as well and he just cut his hand off. Compared to Kylo Ren, it becomes obvious how cool Vader as the evil guy really was!