collapse

Author Topic: Movie Reviews  (Read 39486 times)

Offline _username

• Got Stront?
  • Antediluvian
Re: Movie Reviews
« Reply #300 on: October 27, 2013, 01:41:03 AM »
Is there any Dracula movie out there where Dracula DOESN'T die? You'd think there'd be at least one movie where he gets his moment:
"Dude... you don't think in the centuries of my existence, somebody hasn't tried this before? How do you think I've MANAGED to live centuries? I laugh at your feeble attempts to destroy me, and reward you only with painful death for your troubles!"

The new NBC series "Dracula" portrays Dracula as the protagonist.  Not a "good guy"; just the protagonist.  Also, his Renfield isn't a borderline retarded schizo; he's actually a competent agent.  There's only been one episode so far, but it shows Dracula as being pretty savvy about the methods and organization of vampire hunters (and kills the shit out of one or two who underestimate him).

No idea if he'll survive the series.
LUNA NOBIS PROVIDET

Offline Oscar

• Remember
  • Antediluvian
« Reply #301 on: October 28, 2013, 04:09:54 PM »
Is there any Dracula movie out there where Dracula DOESN'T die? You'd think there'd be at least one movie where he gets his moment:
"Dude... you don't think in the centuries of my existence, somebody hasn't tried this before? How do you think I've MANAGED to live centuries? I laugh at your feeble attempts to destroy me, and reward you only with painful death for your troubles!"

The new NBC series "Dracula" portrays Dracula as the protagonist.  Not a "good guy"; just the protagonist.  Also, his Renfield isn't a borderline retarded schizo; he's actually a competent agent.  There's only been one episode so far, but it shows Dracula as being pretty savvy about the methods and organization of vampire hunters (and kills the shit out of one or two who underestimate him).

No idea if he'll survive the series.

Knowing the American habit of making series', yes he will. He can't die as they want to stretch the mindless "plot" and keeping the series running, while the series eventually dies because of lack of viewers and then they just don't give a fuck to end it properly.
My father is Dirty Harry, my mother is Bloody Mary

Offline Ventrueloquist

• Methuselah
« Reply #302 on: October 29, 2013, 10:16:40 AM »
I just saw Little Big Man (1970) with a young Dustin Hoffman and a very old Dustin Hoffman, 121 years old, hah. The frame story revolves around Dustin Hoffman's character Jack Crabb, retelling his life's story to a person wanting to know about how indians lived. Jack Crabb is 121 years old there and you can't tell it's Dustin Hoffman under all that old-man makeup. It's quite long (147 minutes), but never gets boring. It's quite funny and dramatical, like a good adventure story.

Offline El_Gostro

• Unposting posting poster unposting postitions
  • Antediluvian
  • Shifting
« Reply #303 on: October 31, 2013, 05:34:33 PM »
Magasin des suicides was pretty funny,cartoon tim burtonesque adams family in french to define it briefly
If you can find it with english subtitles and like musical stuff it d definitely be worth it

117:Rio ne reponds plus
Easily the best james bond parody type of film seen by mes to date
(main actor be the feller who played in "the artist")
The ambiance is nearly perfect.

Remembered a spanish film,translated it would be "The fencing teacher";it was pretty neat

Addendum;
Yep,all french films but hey,when in Rome...
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 06:34:00 PM by El_Gostro »

Offline Azrael

• Apathetic Toreador
  • Methuselah
« Reply #304 on: November 18, 2013, 01:26:07 PM »
I saw 'Last Tango In Paris' recently. Here is my review:

WHAT THE FUCK. AND HE- AND THEN- AND- BUTTER? WHAT!? YOU SHOT HIM!! WHAT IS GOING ON?

...I loved it. 4/5. Standout performance by Brando.
- az

Offline _username

• Got Stront?
  • Antediluvian
« Reply #305 on: November 19, 2013, 10:53:58 PM »
I saw 'Last Tango In Paris' recently. Here is my review:

WHAT THE FUCK. AND HE- AND THEN- AND- BUTTER? WHAT!? YOU SHOT HIM!! WHAT IS GOING ON?

...I loved it. 4/5. Standout performance by Brando.

Posts like that, along with the majority of this thread, have probably saved me about 600 hours worth of movie-watching over the years.
LUNA NOBIS PROVIDET

Offline Ventrueloquist

• Methuselah
« Reply #306 on: January 01, 2014, 07:16:56 PM »
I just saw Cat's and Dogs: The Revenge of Kitty Galore (2010) and I'm not ashamed to say that I liked it. It's a sequel to the original film Cats and Dogs (2001) and I really need to see that movie now that I've watched the second movie. Aside from the whole talking dogs and cats being funny to me and acting like humans, I also liked all the references to other movies as well as the story. It felt a bit like a good animated movie (e.g. Bolt that I saw yesterday), except that it wasn't animated at all.

Damn, this holiday season otherwise has been packed with animated movies that I haven't seen yet. That's mostly because the English speaking version stops running at the cinema after a week or two and I almost never get around to watching a movie within the first two weeks. I simply refuse to pay the equivalent of 15 dollars to see a dubbed version, it's original version or nothing at all! Watching it on TV is free though, so other than the aforementioned Bolt I've seen Toy Story 3, Despicable Me 1, Ratatouille, Shrek Forever After and just recently Rio. I can recommend every one of them, even Shrek Forever After. It's not as good as Shrek 1 or 2, but better than Shrek the Third.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2014, 07:22:44 PM by Ventrueloquist »

Offline Nigama

• Dead
  • Antediluvian
« Reply #307 on: March 20, 2014, 03:08:17 AM »
So I watched a found footage werewolf movie called Wer.  It was alright.  Had it's good parts for sure.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2229511/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Wer

Nigama
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 03:12:26 AM by Nigama »
"You may not remember us, but we may be responsible for your lack of memory."

Offline Nigama

• Dead
  • Antediluvian
« Reply #308 on: October 22, 2014, 05:33:12 AM »
Moar werewulvies!

I just saw "Wolves"... was pretty good.  There were parts that were ripped from other sources, but it was still enjoyable if a bit campy. The werewolves were essentially in Glabro form if pureblood or more ghoulish (vampire) if bitten. Effects were not CGI and were good, although I do like my werewolves in full Crinos form.

The plot was ok. There were some unnecessary twists, but otherwise it was enjoyable if you aren't expecting high art. Was it as good as Lost Boys?  No.  But it was fun.  I'd recommend it for an enjoyable night in.

Nigama

Offline Ventrueloquist

• Methuselah
« Reply #309 on: October 22, 2014, 10:43:22 AM »
I saw Dracula Untold and even though the reviews for it were really bad, I had a feeling I would enjoy it. I was not mistaken. It has plenty of special effects and nice action scenes and that's why one should watch this film, but it also has some decent acting and plot.  Luke Evans does a good portrayal of a man struggling to keep his humanity and refuse the urges of his "Beast". Of course, we know what will happen in the end, but it's an entertaining journey to follow. It's an action movie and so historical accuracy, character depth and such are not to be expected, but the movie has good pacing and is never boring.

Offline Ventrueloquist

• Methuselah
« Reply #310 on: October 29, 2014, 04:07:22 PM »
This movie sounds interesting, the tagline is "the first Iranian vampire western", http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2326554/. It doesn't seem to be coming to regular theaters, but it will be present at several movie festivals.

Offline Nigama

• Dead
  • Antediluvian
« Reply #311 on: July 28, 2015, 12:43:07 AM »
Just watched "What We Do in the Shadows" last night. Hilariously funny mockumentary about four vampires living in a flat in New Zealand. Petyr was definitely my favorite of the four of them. :)

If you want a laugh and enjoy some good vampire jokes, you'll enjoy it.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3416742/

Offline Nigama

• Dead
  • Antediluvian
« Reply #312 on: August 08, 2015, 02:22:07 AM »
So I watched "Dark Moon Rising." http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3155734/  Saw it was a new werewolf movie out, was hoping for something at least decent, but nope... it was horrendous. Bunch of goth kids and bad CGI.  I highly recommend you do NOT see this movie, unless you do so with plenty of alcohol and very funny friends.

Offline Ventrueloquist

• Methuselah
« Reply #313 on: November 20, 2015, 06:55:48 PM »
I saw The Man with the Iron Fists on TV. It's directed, written and has music by RZA and also starring him as a smith who forges weapons for rivaling clans in feudal Japan. Nice martial arts combat, decent story and characters/dialogue and it's funny to see Russell Crowe in this movie. Very entertaining and not just in a so bad it's good way.

Although, you have accept that Dave Bautista plays a man who can turn his body into brass in this movie, his character is called Brass Body after all. Dave Bautista is also in the other movie I saw, Spectre. That guy really gets around and ain't half bad when he gets roles that doesn't just rely on his beefiness, like Guardians of the Galaxy. In these two movies, he's little else than Mr Muscle.

Spectre was really good, perhaps not good as good as Skyfall, but I liked how it referenced a lot of stuff that happened in previous films. It's nice to see some strong female characters and many action scenes are good. Dave Bautista is a typical silent, muscular henchman and Christoph Waltz does the same kind of villain as in Inglourious Basterds, but it's quite fitting here.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 07:05:29 PM by Ventrueloquist »

Offline Ventrueloquist

• Methuselah
« Reply #314 on: December 17, 2015, 07:18:29 PM »
I watched Star Wars: The Force Awakens yesterday and it was dope. As much fun as The Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi and A New Hope. It'll probably be another 3 years before the next one, how will I cope? Comments on Youtube spoil the entire plot, so avoid them or you will mope. Okay, I can't come up with anymore rhymes now, so I'll stop(e) :P.

It's really a film for fans of the original trilogy and has a lot of humor, one scene even reminded me of a famous spoof, but there also enough action and spoilerific material. It's great entertainment all the way.

Even though I'm a great fan of the original movies, I'm thinking that this might be the best Star Wars movie to date. Perhaps the two other movies might be even better, just like people liked The Empire Strikes back better than A New Hope and Return of the Jedi and people (dis)liked Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith less than The Phantom Menace.