collapse

Author Topic: Movie Reviews  (Read 40190 times)

Offline Signothorn

• God Hates Fangs
  • Administratrix
  • Antediluvian
Re: Movie Reviews
« Reply #270 on: March 07, 2013, 04:42:53 AM »
Just watched a vampire flick called "We Are the Night". I thought it was going to be some hot lesbian vampire action but it turned out to be one of the best vampire films I've seen in some time. It really caught me by surprise, very well done.  :bite:

Offline Rick Gentle

• Gangrel Playboy
  • Antediluvian
« Reply #271 on: March 07, 2013, 05:45:29 AM »
Are you implying that a [good] hot lesbian vampire action movie WOULDN'T be one of the best ones?
Remember: It's not the size of your fangs that matters; it's what you stick them in.

Offline Signothorn

• God Hates Fangs
  • Administratrix
  • Antediluvian
« Reply #272 on: March 07, 2013, 06:56:09 AM »
Are you implying that a [good] hot lesbian vampire action movie WOULDN'T be one of the best ones?

It actually had a decent story and characters with some great action sequences.

Offline Rick Gentle

• Gangrel Playboy
  • Antediluvian
« Reply #273 on: March 07, 2013, 06:40:16 PM »
I think I saw that movie up among the "also viewed" section.. I got misled by the older, 70s and 80s vampire flicks, though. I'll have to go back and take the path more recently traveled.
Remember: It's not the size of your fangs that matters; it's what you stick them in.

Offline Signothorn

• God Hates Fangs
  • Administratrix
  • Antediluvian
« Reply #274 on: March 09, 2013, 05:13:35 AM »
Just watched Dog Soldiers, was actually a pretty good werewolf movie.

Offline Rick Gentle

• Gangrel Playboy
  • Antediluvian
« Reply #275 on: March 09, 2013, 07:08:43 AM »
That's the one about super-werewolf soldiers in rural England or somewhere, yeah? That's the one I was looking for when I got into The Howling series.

Offline Signothorn

• God Hates Fangs
  • Administratrix
  • Antediluvian
« Reply #276 on: March 09, 2013, 07:34:12 AM »
Howling series has it's great moments, I was looking for a new "howling" when I came across that one. There was a Howling that came out in 2011, but looking at the preview, I'd be surprised if they didn't sparkle in daylight.

Offline Nigama

• Dead
  • Antediluvian
« Reply #277 on: April 19, 2013, 03:51:23 PM »
Recently saw "The Numbers Station" and "Oblivion."  Wasn't exactly sure what a numbers station was, but I remembered we have a member here named Nosferatu Numbers Station, so I looked into it.  New movie with John Cusack, about an agent with a conscience and some bad people who want to break into the secure facility he is predicting.  Fairly shallow in terms of the depth of the characters (both bad guys and our heroes), but it was an entertaining movie, everything else considered. Also, now I know more about what a numbers station is (coded numbers sent to agents in the field, doing black ops [CIA?] stuffs).

Oblivion I found to be visually very nice, but as a huge sci fi fan I also found it fairly predictable.  There were both some really nice moments (the character of his wife, for example), but also some loose ends that never really get tied up for convenience sake.  That said, also an enjoyable movie, but I have a personal grudge against movies that are super long (over 2 hours), and this one was.  If you can't tell a story in less than an hour and 45 mins, *maybe* you should think of doing the story as two movies.  I just get tired sitting in one place doing the same thing for over 2 hours.  It's not necessary. 

Nigama
"You may not remember us, but we may be responsible for your lack of memory."

Offline _username

• Got Stront?
  • Antediluvian
« Reply #278 on: April 20, 2013, 03:15:22 PM »
Just watched Dog Soldiers, was actually a pretty good werewolf movie.

Yeah, the FX were pretty low-tech, but it was a lot of fun and the characters were reasonably likable.
LUNA NOBIS PROVIDET

Offline Oscar

• Remember
  • Antediluvian
« Reply #279 on: June 10, 2013, 07:08:35 PM »
Well, not review but nostalgic rabble about movie "The Fly". It was one of the scariest movies I watched as kid, and watched it yesterday after looooong time since last time. What really strikes with movies like The Fly and The Thing is the monster effects. CGI has allowed smooth and fluent monsters but lacks the visceral, grotesque and physical presence that the monsters of the old have.

I love the movie.
My father is Dirty Harry, my mother is Bloody Mary

Offline Rick Gentle

• Gangrel Playboy
  • Antediluvian
« Reply #280 on: June 10, 2013, 09:03:25 PM »
Yeah... strangely, puppets always turn out better than CGI critters. Look at old-school Yoda versus Episodes 1-3 Yoda.
I watched Evil Dead 2 a couple months ago, and I was a little surprised to find myself thinking: "Wow. This old movie has some scarier-looking monster-daemon-soul-swallower-thing effects than modern movies."
Plus, y'know, Bruce Campbell. Go-go Bruce Campbell!

Offline Signothorn

• God Hates Fangs
  • Administratrix
  • Antediluvian
« Reply #281 on: September 20, 2013, 06:12:33 AM »
Just watched a surprisingly good werewolf movie that came out last year called "Werewolf: The Beast Among Us". It caught me off guard, really liked it.

Offline Ventrueloquist

• Methuselah
« Reply #282 on: September 22, 2013, 11:32:42 AM »
I recently saw two quite different movies, Captain America: The First Avenger and Melancholia.

Anyone who likes superhero movies and the other Marvel movies, will also like Captain America. The sequel to that movie is coming next year, so I'm glad I've watched the first movie now. I'm a bit obsessed about seeing movies chronologically and since this movie is a part of a greater movie series, it also feels good to have seen all the films leading up to the Avengers movie. Captain America was very fun and had everything an epic adventure movie should have, many special effects and action scenes, a great villain (Hugo Weaving as the Red Skull) and humor, even some satire aimed at the government/military for using Captain America as a PR tool at first, to boast sales of war bonds during WW2 (where almost the entire movie takes place) rather than as a soldier.

Melancholia almost has any many well-known actors as Captain America, but the similarities end there. It's a slow, dramatic and melancholic (duh!) movie about the world's end and how people deal with that. It's set around a wedding party and the days after that and the first part is quite cheery and fun, but things get more depressing as the time goes by. Movie critics love it, because it doesn't give many explanations to why people feel or act they way they do, it's up to the viewer to decide. The female roles are quite multi-faceted and far from the usual depictions of women, the men a bit less so in my opinion, but nobody is all good or evil, which I like. Your opinion about the characters might also change during the movie, which is interesting. The director Lars von Trier has said "no more happy endings" in an interview once and so it's no spoiler that the Earth *will* get destroyed by the much larger planet Melancholia. I liked it, but it's not for everyone as you can tell.

Offline Rick Gentle

• Gangrel Playboy
  • Antediluvian
« Reply #283 on: September 23, 2013, 02:26:47 AM »
Foo'! That's 'cause nuthin' is bigger than the Planet Earth!

HOO-YAH!!

Offline _username

• Got Stront?
  • Antediluvian
« Reply #284 on: September 25, 2013, 12:41:11 AM »
so it's no spoiler that the Earth *will* get destroyed by the much larger planet Melancholia. I liked it, but it's not for everyone as you can tell.

Knowing nothing about the lore, this only gives me a mental image of some kind of emo kid dystopian planet suiciding into the earth like some kind of cosmic bridge jumper.  I feel like we should be watching that movie.
LUNA NOBIS PROVIDET