collapse

Author Topic: Movie Reviews  (Read 40770 times)

Offline Nigama

• Dead
  • Antediluvian
Re: Movie Reviews
« Reply #225 on: December 02, 2011, 08:12:09 PM »
Hey being a That female hygiene commercial vampire rules!
You don't age,you get super powers,free liposuction to show your abs,automatically make it to the popular list in school/college/work place,bloodlust can be restricted to wooden brooding,your clan has a luxury paradise island tropical resort for wedding and/or honeymoon events,you get dental , social weekends including vampire baseball,and if that wasnt enough you CAN  HAVE SEX and if the ladies/guys don t find you stunning desirable enough,you can step into the sunlight without horribly disintegrating and sparkling like a sungod...

What are the drawbacks again?

Uhhh..   :chinscratch:  You have to drink blood and suffer the manipulations of your elders? I think that's all they have left. And the blood is fungible.  I hear they can drink strawberry milkshakes in a pinch.

Nigama
"You may not remember us, but we may be responsible for your lack of memory."

Offline Oscar

• Remember
  • Antediluvian
« Reply #226 on: December 03, 2011, 01:37:15 AM »

The Thing (2011) is actually *NOT* a remake, it's technically a prequel.  Still, the original The Thing (1982) is amazing.  If the 2011 version scared you, definitely watch the '82 version, it's a masterpiece.  And I don't say that word lightly when it comes to John Carpenter movies (which tend to be amazing or garbage, with little room in between - "Vampire$" for example, was a fun read and a good story (originally a bo

So, ok, I am not going to watch the '82 version even though I know it would be good and probably answer this point I am about to describe, because I will be scared and I need my sleep right now. This isn't really spoiling much, but my theory is that the ship found is NOT The Thing's ship. That it was another alien species that the Thing wiped out in the same way. The technology seemed really incongruent with what that thing was.  Am I right?

Trust me, watch the original
I hope they are not going to rape the thing now :(
My father is Dirty Harry, my mother is Bloody Mary

Offline MooCHa

• Nelapsi
  • Methuselah
« Reply #227 on: December 05, 2011, 06:56:22 AM »
Trust me, watch the original
I hope they are not going to rape the thing now :(

I agree, Watch the original :)

I didnt realise  The Thing 2011 film existed.  I will watch it with no expectations of matching the original. Likely try get it for weekend when got time to sit and chill a bit  :pixorstfu:

Edit: MMM, It didnt come out till last friday here in the UK. Guess its a cinema jobby then...
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 06:58:29 AM by MooCHa »
Regards...

Offline Porphyria

• Antediluvian
« Reply #228 on: December 05, 2011, 09:14:22 AM »
That 82 version actually answers a lot fewer questions, tbh it mostly raises them.  In short, there's no definitive answer to your question, just a lot of theories.  But I tend to agree with what you think, that it's not the (start of movie)Thing's ship, and I tend to go with the theory that some species was transporting the Thing for some reason, it broke out of containment and began taking them over/killing them, in that process the ship was damaged, they did a controlled landing in an area where there was minimal life for the thing to copy, they crashed, all dying with only one Thing remaining, who crawled out of the ship looking for life to take over and froze only to be found years later by the Norwegian team starting the 2011 The Thing, which is followed directly by the 1982 the Thing, which leaves several life forms alive which could all be Things.

Full range of theories include: The Thing may have been: (1): the pilot, (2): a passenger, (3): a stowaway, (4): part of the cargo, or (5): a prisoner being transported to some interstellar prison.

Nigama

SMALL SPOILER ALERT!

For me, 1 and 2 are definitely out. It seems far more likely that it was 3, 4, or 5. The scale and design of the ship itself and what looked like the computer core or something inside it (in 2011 one) didn't seem to fit with the Thing alien. I will give that the Thing had to have some predatory intelligence and wasn't totally stupid, but most of it was mimicking. I guess it was able to turn the ship on, but do we really know if it was able to pilot it, or fly it anywhere? that was never answered really. I also think the "distress signal" was not initiated by the ship species, but the thing.

I never thought it was possible for the woman scientist, Kate or whoever, to be a thing because we constantly followed her through the entire story. And with her  fillings, I just don't know how that could be, but her end reaction was weird. I guess that might be explained in the 82 one.

Offline MooCHa

• Nelapsi
  • Methuselah
« Reply #229 on: December 06, 2011, 06:13:05 PM »
The Thing 2011

No way it even equates to the original at all and TBH, It,s a 4/10 piece of pigeon droppings.

Dont waste your money. I expected a bit more from it rather than here's 2 hrs of complete crap. It really had nothing to offer in its own right.
Regards...

Offline Nigama

• Dead
  • Antediluvian
« Reply #230 on: December 06, 2011, 08:26:54 PM »
That 82 version actually answers a lot fewer questions, tbh it mostly raises them.  In short, there's no definitive answer to your question, just a lot of theories.  But I tend to agree with what you think, that it's not the (start of movie)Thing's ship, and I tend to go with the theory that some species was transporting the Thing for some reason, it broke out of containment and began taking them over/killing them, in that process the ship was damaged, they did a controlled landing in an area where there was minimal life for the thing to copy, they crashed, all dying with only one Thing remaining, who crawled out of the ship looking for life to take over and froze only to be found years later by the Norwegian team starting the 2011 The Thing, which is followed directly by the 1982 the Thing, which leaves several life forms alive which could all be Things.

Full range of theories include: The Thing may have been: (1): the pilot, (2): a passenger, (3): a stowaway, (4): part of the cargo, or (5): a prisoner being transported to some interstellar prison.

Nigama

SMALL SPOILER ALERT!

For me, 1 and 2 are definitely out. It seems far more likely that it was 3, 4, or 5. The scale and design of the ship itself and what looked like the computer core or something inside it (in 2011 one) didn't seem to fit with the Thing alien. I will give that the Thing had to have some predatory intelligence and wasn't totally stupid, but most of it was mimicking. I guess it was able to turn the ship on, but do we really know if it was able to pilot it, or fly it anywhere? that was never answered really. I also think the "distress signal" was not initiated by the ship species, but the thing.

I agree, it didn't seem like the Thing's ship and it probably did set off the distress call. In the 82 version the Thing (I forget which one) tries to build some kind of a vehicle or ship (it doesn't exactly look outerspace worthy, but it does look kindof like a flying saucer) so it is intelligent enough to master high levels of technology.  Also, in the movie that Carpenter based his The Thing on ("The Thing From Another World (1951)), the Thing in that manages to build an anti gravity device to get himself back into outerspace.  Soooo... yeah...  my thinking is that it's trying to get back into space.  Otherwise, why not just walk to the edge where ice meets water, mimic a bird or a penguin (or a few of each) and swim/fly to the mainland? 

I never thought it was possible for the woman scientist, Kate or whoever, to be a thing because we constantly followed her through the entire story. And with her  fillings, I just don't know how that could be, but her end reaction was weird. I guess that might be explained in the 82 one.

Well, as many people have told you, the 82 movie is the bees knees, so if you liked the 2011 version, you should LOVE the 82 version.  Go check it out right now.  In fact...

http://www.mrbrownee70.com/?id=YYROK1YU

Enjoy

Nigama
"You may not remember us, but we may be responsible for your lack of memory."

Offline El_Gostro

• Unposting posting poster unposting postitions
  • Antediluvian
  • Shifting
« Reply #231 on: January 28, 2012, 06:16:29 AM »
Last nite saw a 92 spanish movie titled "The fencing master" (full movie below,but couldnt find the subtitles)

EL MAESTRO DE ESGRIMA (THE FENCING MASTER) (Omero Antonutti, Assumpta Serna; Pedro Olea, 1992)

It be a pretty nifty piece,the costumes are well done and the story be quite interesting if one has a passing knowledge of the historical period in which the tale be set

Also a classic among classics

My Name Is Nobody - Trailer (HQ)

Why?Stuff like this
My Name is Nobody
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 12:49:44 PM by El_Gostro »

Offline El_Gostro

• Antediluvian
  • Shifting
« Reply #232 on: March 02, 2012, 01:28:49 PM »
Saw some episodes from that BBC merlin serie swhich be fun but should be retitles to " The Truman Show,King Arthur edition" or "Everybody! Don't tell Arthur that Merlin can use magic because it's kinda illegal"

Seriously,everyone except that guyser and maybe before his dead old man that the Merlin duder uses magic

Offline PGM1961

• Apprentice Imagineer
  • Antediluvian
« Reply #233 on: March 18, 2012, 05:23:41 AM »
Saw John Carter.  I really liked it.  Good special effects and fight scenes; story kind of so-so, but nostalgia for the books I read as a kid made this a welcome treat. 
An honorable man will still do the right thing, even when he knows there is no chance that he will be caught and punished for doing wrong... and even if it costs him dearly.

Offline El_Gostro

• Antediluvian
  • Shifting
« Reply #234 on: April 05, 2012, 03:34:48 PM »
"Undisputed 3",got it on the metro upon leaving Madrid.

AWESOME

Offline Oscar

• Remember
  • Antediluvian
« Reply #235 on: May 07, 2012, 01:43:12 PM »
Beats Rhymes & Life: The Travels of a Tribe Called Quest, documentary about the tribe. I enjoyed it.
My father is Dirty Harry, my mother is Bloody Mary

Offline WhiteRussian

• Society of Leopold
  • Methuselah
« Reply #236 on: May 08, 2012, 02:28:13 PM »
Avengers. Holy shit was it fantastic.

Hulk SMASH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If you love something let it go. If it doesn't return, hunt it down and kill it.

Offline _username

• Got Stront?
  • Antediluvian
« Reply #237 on: May 08, 2012, 06:02:30 PM »
It was entertaining.  The Hulk was the best part.
LUNA NOBIS PROVIDET

Offline WhiteRussian

• Society of Leopold
  • Methuselah
« Reply #238 on: May 08, 2012, 08:41:16 PM »
He totally stole the show.

SPOILERS
Spoiler for Hiden:
His fights against Thor and Iron Man were great, but the scene with Loki was quite possibly the best scene in superhero movie history.

:rock:
If you love something let it go. If it doesn't return, hunt it down and kill it.

Offline MooCHa

• Nelapsi
  • Methuselah
« Reply #239 on: May 09, 2012, 07:37:47 PM »
^^ I'll try catch that movie eventually.

I noticed on tv they said Hulk will be getting his own standalone movie in 2014. Now what do you think on that? Could the Hulk in a movie all to himself really keep popcorn heads happy for a full 90 mins or would it be total fail?

I'm wondering because up to this point in time(Avengers excluded) he sucked major donkey gonnads.
Regards...