collapse

Author Topic: Movie Reviews  (Read 38447 times)

Offline Porphyria

• Antediluvian
Re: Movie Reviews
« Reply #195 on: August 16, 2011, 05:42:27 AM »
Just watched Seven Pounds. Whew.....I don't think I have ever cried that hard watching a movie before. I'm exhausted. I GUESS you can call it a bitter sweet ending, if you want to interpret that extremely loosely. I don't care who you are, if you don't at least tear up watching that, you must be a sociopath.

Offline Ventrueloquist

• Methuselah
« Reply #196 on: August 16, 2011, 10:38:58 AM »
I don't care who you are, if you don't at least tear up watching that, you must be a sociopath.
Or a vampire, but maybe that's the same thing :P.

Offline Porphyria

• Antediluvian
« Reply #197 on: August 16, 2011, 12:45:38 PM »
I just watched the movie Meeks Cutoff. Long, thirsty story short.....don't bother. I'm all for indie flicks and I get that they are often more cerebral.....but I got NOTHING from it. And it's one of those ones that doesn't end, and has no resolution. Cheap shot that, after 90 mins of nothing.

Offline El_Gostro

• Unposting posting poster unposting postitions
  • Antediluvian
  • Shifting
« Reply #198 on: August 16, 2011, 01:29:15 PM »
Likes em when they be not moody moody moody walk about relationship mooody 120% o the time types!

Offline El_Gostro

• Antediluvian
  • Shifting
« Reply #199 on: August 29, 2011, 03:00:59 AM »
Tried really hard to pay attention to the cap america movie...

Failed :(

Offline PGM1961

• Apprentice Imagineer
  • Antediluvian
« Reply #200 on: August 29, 2011, 06:50:53 AM »

TO THE STAKE WITH THE BLASPHEMER!!

Okay not really.  Sorry you didn't like it.  I did.  Maybe it's because of my signature line.
An honorable man will still do the right thing, even when he knows there is no chance that he will be caught and punished for doing wrong... and even if it costs him dearly.

Offline El_Gostro

• Antediluvian
  • Shifting
« Reply #201 on: August 29, 2011, 02:59:14 PM »

TO THE STAKE WITH THE BLASPHEMER!!

Okay not really.  Sorry you didn't like it.  I did.  Maybe it's because of my signature line.

Not saying twas bads! Just that the thoughtbox focus lately be difting to another subject a lot,n the movie seemed well done n so were the effects,just couldnt sum interest on its... :(

(Not even the red cranium's neurotic 1940's cartoon style over the top german accent could helps this time)

Offline _username

• Got Stront?
  • Antediluvian
« Reply #202 on: September 05, 2011, 12:16:52 PM »
A friend of a friend mentioned Stake Land.  I'd never heard of it, and checked IMDb.  Looks like Book of Eli or Zombieland but, you know...with vampires.  Anybody here seen it?
LUNA NOBIS PROVIDET

Offline WhiteRussian

• Society of Leopold
  • Methuselah
« Reply #203 on: September 05, 2011, 04:03:34 PM »
A friend of a friend mentioned Stake Land.  I'd never heard of it, and checked IMDb.  Looks like Book of Eli or Zombieland but, you know...with vampires.  Anybody here seen it?

I bought it on Blu-ray a few weeks ago.  It's awesome.  Brutal, bloody, and the vampires are more "Nossie-like."  No sparkles, no chic goth, just death machines.

It's really good, you should check it out.
If you love something let it go. If it doesn't return, hunt it down and kill it.

Offline Porphyria

• Antediluvian
« Reply #204 on: September 21, 2011, 01:45:28 AM »
Went and saw Contagion. Was fairly retarded.

Offline Oscar

• Remember
  • Antediluvian
« Reply #205 on: September 21, 2011, 05:35:29 AM »
Hesher. I liked the character of Hesher, but the movie itself wasn't anything earth shattering. It was allright.
My father is Dirty Harry, my mother is Bloody Mary

Offline Nigama

• Dead
  • Antediluvian
« Reply #206 on: September 23, 2011, 12:58:01 AM »
Justed watched Bunraku (2010).  Pretty fun.  Very simple action, presented in a comic book like way.  Simple tale of revenge, with two main characters.  Set in a post-apoc future setting where guns are outlawed on pain of death.  If you liked Kill Bill and/or Sin City's style, you'll dig this movie.  Don't expect anything deep, but the movie doesn't take itself too seriously either, without being overly silly about it.

Bunraku (2010) - 7.5 / 10

Nigama
"You may not remember us, but we may be responsible for your lack of memory."

Offline _username

• Got Stront?
  • Antediluvian
« Reply #207 on: September 25, 2011, 07:49:51 AM »
The Black Dahlia (2006).  Decent modern noir film.  It starts out strong, but gets a little campy near the end.

+ Hilary Swank being more classy yet slutty and (no kidding) borderline sexy in a way that none of her other films pull off
+ Arron Eckhart as the flawed White Knight...no wonder Chris Nolan cast him as Harvey Dent a couple years later
+ Josh Hartnett picking up where he left off in Sin City as the somewhat reluctant unassuming-cute-guy-who-kills-people...a role he played yet again in the somewhat-better Lucky Number Sleven

- Convoluted adaptation of real events in 1946 Hollywood
- Beats you over the head with flashback sequences to make sure you follow the inner monologues

Overall good story, pacing and cinematography, slightly marred by cheesy writing.  6/10

For comparison to other Noir films, I give Sleven a 7/10, Sin City an 8/10 and The Sting and The Big Sleep 9/10.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 07:54:04 AM by _username »
LUNA NOBIS PROVIDET

Offline Oscar

• Remember
  • Antediluvian
« Reply #208 on: September 25, 2011, 12:32:18 PM »
My neighbour totoro
Warm and guaranteed quality of Miyazaki, but the story somehow seemed to lack solid story. It instead just flows by it's own weight, but that's allright. The ending was kind of crash to wall, came too quick for me.
My father is Dirty Harry, my mother is Bloody Mary

Offline Nigama

• Dead
  • Antediluvian
« Reply #209 on: September 25, 2011, 10:13:07 PM »
Drive (2011)

Main character is a driver for heists.  He does a job to clear someone's debt, but someone tries to rob them once they get the loot, and everything breaks into chaos.  He gets away and traces back who the money was stolen by.  That person it turns out was stealing money from the NY/NJ Italian Mafia, and doesn't want to be connected to the robbery, so he decides to kill the driver.  Intense violence ensues.  Very atmospheric movie, reminded me a lot of Taxi Driver (1976).  It's not really a feel good movie, it came across more as a meditation on the serenity and quietness on the surface of this character, and then revealed what was below.  Not your typical movie, but it was enjoyable.  If you're into revenge tales, def give it a watch.  I would say it doesn't have a lot of rewatch value.   6.5/10

Killer Elite (2011)

Straight up action, claims to be based on true events.  There's a group of former special ops mercs that do jobs for money.  One guy gets out.  A year later his best friend is being held captive by some Sheik in Oman, guess his friend accepted a job without knowing what it was and tried to run with the money when he found out the job was to kill SAS officers.  Turns out the Shiek wants revenge for the deaths of his sons, and our guy Danny (the one who wanted out) is the guy for the job.  Except there's some crazy former SAS guy who doesn't really know when to quit who hunts them as they try to kill the three former SAS officers.  If you go in expecting an action movie, that's what you'll get, and a decent amount of it.  There was nothing revolutionary about it and it had somewhat of a happy ending.  Decently made, decently written, decently acted.  If you're looking for a good action movie to watch, it's not a bad one.  6/10
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 10:14:49 PM by Nigama »
"You may not remember us, but we may be responsible for your lack of memory."