collapse

Author Topic: Movie Reviews  (Read 38455 times)

Offline WhiteRussian

• Society of Leopold
  • Methuselah
Re: Movie Reviews
« Reply #180 on: July 22, 2011, 05:17:27 AM »
I just caught the vampire movie "Let Me In" on Netflix. Surprisingly good and different.

The original movie, "Let the Right One In," is also extremely good.  Though, I do prefer the American version simply for the awesome 80's soundtrack.
If you love something let it go. If it doesn't return, hunt it down and kill it.

Offline Saintly pants

• Golcondanite
  • Ancillus
« Reply #181 on: July 22, 2011, 07:31:57 PM »
"Prometheus" is one of those rare projects that spark some interest in me.
Try to limit your damage.

Offline Ventrueloquist

• Methuselah
« Reply #182 on: July 23, 2011, 02:32:07 PM »
I just caught the vampire movie "Let Me In" on Netflix. Surprisingly good and different.

The original movie, "Let the Right One In," is also extremely good.  Though, I do prefer the American version simply for the awesome 80's soundtrack.

I prefer the Swedish version, because I'm Swedish, though I haven't actually seen the American version :P. It's said to be as good/nearly as good as the original.

I have just seen two horror movies that I can recommend. Neither are very scary, but very entertaining. Basilisk : the Serpent King (2006) is about a giant snake that terrorizes Colorado. It's quite funny and well done. Cat people (1982) are one of those weird movies from the eighties that are very atmospheric and odd (in a good way).

Offline El_Gostro

• Unposting posting poster unposting postitions
  • Antediluvian
  • Shifting
« Reply #183 on: July 23, 2011, 03:57:51 PM »
didnt really watch the american version,the original had no need fer a remakings.... :chinscratch:

Offline PGM1961

• Apprentice Imagineer
  • Antediluvian
« Reply #184 on: July 24, 2011, 12:03:52 AM »
Cat People - Cool, sexy movie, great David Bowie song on the soundtrack.

Let Me In - Heard it was well done, but haven't seen it yet -- just the original.

I saw Captain America this weekend.  Part 'Iron Man', part 'Inglorious Basterds'; great movie.  Kind of cringed when the Senator guy had Cap selling war bonds for a while...   However, it's based in fact... back then, they staged corny, ultra-patriotic shows to build patriotic support for the war, and urge people to buy war bonds.  Watch some old newsreels; a few famous actors helped the war effort in this way.

Chris Evans played the part well.  A couple of reviews even compared him to Jimmy Stewart: stumbling and awkward in conversations with women, but decisive and quick to act when the situation needs it.  And Hugo Weaving is an excellent villain, of course.  I'd say it is equally as good as Iron Man.
An honorable man will still do the right thing, even when he knows there is no chance that he will be caught and punished for doing wrong... and even if it costs him dearly.

Offline _username

• Got Stront?
  • Antediluvian
« Reply #185 on: July 24, 2011, 12:12:21 PM »
Spoilers be here...

Wait...Hugo Weaving is playing a villain again?  He pretty much set the bar in the Matrix films...I know, bash me on that, if you must.  Still, his performance in the LotR franchise solidified him as one of those etherial, go-to actors.  Of course, nobody comes close to Cate Blanchett's performance as Galadriel.

Also, I have to give a tip of that hat to Alan Rickman -- Professor Snape -- for his contributions to the Harry Potter franchise.  I've never read the books, but his acting throughout the 8 films (even after he no-shit, outright murdered Dumbledore) left you wondering where his true alliegence was.  Valdemort killed him in a brutal, poignant scene in HP8, but the recovery of his memories was pretty cool.

So if you say it's as good as Iron Man (IMO the second-best comic book film, after Dark Knight), I'll have to check it out tomorrow :)
LUNA NOBIS PROVIDET

Offline _username

• Got Stront?
  • Antediluvian
« Reply #186 on: July 24, 2011, 12:31:15 PM »
Heh, also had to comment on Let Me In and Let the Right One In.  The Swedish version was more visceral, unsettling and striking.  The girl* was not pretty, but her tragic (yet repulsive) character concept was top notch.  The American version arguably did a better job of portraying the horrid role that her "keeper" volunteered for, and you can't help but feel bad for the well-meaning cop who looked into the case more than he should have.  The scene where the boy reaches for the door...and closes it...is pretty fucking brutal.  I consider both as being top-shelf films, on par with Interview with the Vampire.  Some critics hailed it as "The Best Vampire Film Ever Made" and I am inclined to agree with them.  No shit.

Anyways, it's an outstanding story, and I encourage everybody to watch both versions.  You'll probably recognize the actress in the American version as Chloe Moretz, most famous for her performance as the psychotic Hit-Girl in Kickass .

Spoiler for Hiden:
* In the novel, the "girl" is actually a boy who was castrated in centuries past.  Instead of genitals, he ("she") has a series of ragged stitches.  The unrated version of the film shows this in vivid -- if brief -- detail.  Just when you think the story of a monstrous, cannibalistic, child-thing can't get any worse, right?
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 12:33:44 PM by _username »
LUNA NOBIS PROVIDET

Offline El_Gostro

• Unposting posting poster unposting postitions
  • Antediluvian
  • Shifting
« Reply #187 on: July 24, 2011, 02:24:09 PM »
Heh, also had to comment on Let Me In and Let the Right One In.  The Swedish version was more visceral, unsettling and striking.  The girl* was not pretty, but her tragic (yet repulsive) character concept was top notch.  The American version arguably did a better job of portraying the horrid role that her "keeper" volunteered for, and you can't help but feel bad for the well-meaning cop who looked into the case more than he should have.  The scene where the boy reaches for the door...and closes it...is pretty fucking brutal.  I consider both as being top-shelf films, on par with Interview with the Vampire.  Some critics hailed it as "The Best Vampire Film Ever Made" and I am inclined to agree with them.  No shit.

Would be hards to contest that ones,agreeds!

*spoiler*
[/spoiler]

Dammits will av ta search fer that friggin book agains nows :vampwink:

-----------

On unrelated notes,saw the so talked bout Game of Thrones series.
Liked the whole back back back backstabbing realistic intrigue,but went over to check what them books be about n will say this:
When ya need a friggin fiction heraldry glossary the size of a bible to  check on a saga of continuing story told in more than one book,each the size of a another freakin tome o encyclopedias.
Then something be very wrong...(just how many bloody roberts are there anyway???!)

N kinda felt bad for Boromir,he bes a sword wielding badass who keeps getting killed by little people's fault...

Offline PGM1961

• Apprentice Imagineer
  • Antediluvian
« Reply #188 on: July 25, 2011, 07:01:29 AM »
So if you say it's as good as Iron Man (IMO the second-best comic book film, after Dark Knight), I'll have to check it out tomorrow :)

Nothing comes close to The Dark Knight, but Captain America was pretty good.  I freely admit that I'm biased, since I liked the comic as a kid/young adult.  (Iron Man too.)

Alan Rickman is incredible.  The books were definitely worth reading.  The first few are written for a younger audience; but the last three are on an adult level, since the series gets more mature as the main characters grow up.

Hugo Weaving was great in the first Matrix movie.  (I sometimes pretend the last two movies don't exist, but that's not the fault of the actors.)

An honorable man will still do the right thing, even when he knows there is no chance that he will be caught and punished for doing wrong... and even if it costs him dearly.

Offline Oscar

• Remember
  • Antediluvian
« Reply #189 on: July 27, 2011, 05:44:58 PM »
The 36th Chamber of Shaolin
I was expecting cheese, but it was actually a really good old fashioned adventure kung-fu movie. Shame these are so damn difficult to get hold of.
My father is Dirty Harry, my mother is Bloody Mary

Offline Porphyria

• Antediluvian
« Reply #190 on: July 28, 2011, 01:10:23 AM »

Wait...Hugo Weaving is playing a villain again?  He pretty much set the bar in the Matrix films...I know, bash me on that, if you must.  Still, his performance in the LotR franchise solidified him as one of those etherial, go-to actors.  Of course, nobody comes close to Cate Blanchett's performance as Galadriel.

Though he is not always one. He was the hero in V for Vendetta and he's been an elf, as you mentioned. He does do a good villian though. Can't get a lot creepier than Agent Smith. I like how he like never plays a normal person, ever. I don't think I have ever seen him in a contemporary type...drama...

I thought I did see him in something as a semi-normal person?? Sherlock Holmes maybe.

Offline Ventrueloquist

• Methuselah
« Reply #191 on: July 28, 2011, 05:48:24 PM »

Though he is not always one. He was the hero in V for Vendetta and he's been an elf, as you mentioned. He does do a good villian though. Can't get a lot creepier than Agent Smith. I like how he like never plays a normal person, ever. I don't think I have ever seen him in a contemporary type...drama...

I thought I did see him in something as a semi-normal person?? Sherlock Holmes maybe.

Hugo is also in the 1994 drag queen movie The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert, lol. He's not a normal person in any big movies, but I haven't seen all movies of him listed at imdb.com, so I don't know.

Offline Porphyria

• Antediluvian
« Reply #192 on: July 28, 2011, 07:43:58 PM »

Hugo is also in the 1994 drag queen movie The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert, lol. He's not a normal person in any big movies, but I haven't seen all movies of him listed at imdb.com, so I don't know.

He's doin' it rite. It must be much more entertaining to play all kinds of freaks if you are in movies.

Offline Porphyria

• Antediluvian
« Reply #193 on: August 12, 2011, 02:47:06 AM »
Has anyone seen the movie Seven Pounds? I don't want any spoilers but I'm curious about seeing it. I have heard it's heart crushingly depressing though. Is this true?

Offline Aydoo

• Antediluvian
    • Aydoodle
« Reply #194 on: August 12, 2011, 04:46:22 AM »
Its hard to not spoil it, but its very tragic, and is aptly named.