collapse

Author Topic: Movie Reviews  (Read 40767 times)

Offline _username

• Got Stront?
  • Antediluvian
Re: Movie Reviews
« Reply #165 on: July 01, 2011, 09:07:24 PM »
It's been a while since I lived near an IMAX theater, but I always thought it was pretty cool.

Also, Transformers 3 was pretty badass.  The 3D worked a little more seamlessly than it did in other recent 3D action films like Thor.  There was approximately 90% less blatant racist stereotypes among the Autobots, compared to the second movie.  The new girl is an adequate replacement for Megan Fox, but both characters were really just there as eye candy.

A few of the characters took a level in badass.  Sam is still kind of a twerp, but he punches the shit out of a guy later in the movie.  Megatron is just gnarly these days.  He's cruel, ruthless and has these nasty little repair bots crawling in and out of holes in his face.

There was a lot of funny little things here and there, so it definitely doesn't fall into the trap of taking itself too seriously.  Worth catching in the theater, if you're into Michael-Bay-Splosions kind of thing.
LUNA NOBIS PROVIDET

Offline Porphyria

• Antediluvian
« Reply #166 on: July 02, 2011, 12:40:04 AM »
Also just got back from Transformers. Just the 2D. I do agree that the robot scenes were much better and much more of it, but it still could have been half an hour shorter. But the robots were easier to see and it seemed clearer.

That is pretty much where it began to suck for me. The plot was nothing short of ridiculous. I know it is not about the plot, in this type of movie, but still. Girlfriend sidekick this time was EVEN WORSE than Megan Fox. Mouth hanging open was clearly in evidence. And she had trouty lips. Also I am not one to catch editing mistakes, but she must have changed her shoes 4 times in the final battle area. Yeah, bitch, not even you can do all that shit in heels. I wanted a decepticon to kill her so bad.

Ken Jeong in the bathroom was epic. Fullstop.

While there were some badass looking decepticons this time, Megatron got jacked in this movie. WTF? He was barely in it. He's supposed to be the leader. One of the decepticons looked like a Predator, that was cool.

Meh. And yeah, I'm still going to see Conan and I don't care. :p~~~~

Offline PGM1961

• Apprentice Imagineer
  • Antediluvian
« Reply #167 on: July 02, 2011, 01:18:43 AM »
I'm going to see Transformers 3 this weekend, probably Sunday (or maybe tonight...).  Basically, there's nothing else opening this weekend that I want to see (sorry Tom Hanks).  I don't have very high expectations for this one, so maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised.  Hey, it worked for Green Lantern.

Come on, Captain America!  Sorry Porphyria; I know you're tired of superhero movies and the summer's barely half over.  But I used to read Captain America as a kid (and young adult), and unlike Transformers my expectations are really high.  From the trailers, maybe I won't be disappointed.

Also looking forward to Harry Potter, if only to get the thing over with.  'Deathly Hallows I' had too much explanation and not enough action; and while the last movie should be better in that regard, I'm not expecting it to be all that great.  When they started the series, you didn't have to read the books to enjoy the movies; but frankly, I expect anyone who hasn't read the last book to be hopelessly lost in 'Deathly Hallows II'.  To me, the best of the series were Prisoner of Azkaban (HP3) and Half-Blood Prince (HP6).

(If only the Harry Potter screenplays had been written by Peter Jackson... in LOTR, he proved that he knows how to do a faithful book adaptation while leaving out all of the boring crap.  Looking forward to 'The Hobbit'.)
An honorable man will still do the right thing, even when he knows there is no chance that he will be caught and punished for doing wrong... and even if it costs him dearly.

Offline Signothorn

• God Hates Fangs
  • Administratrix
  • Antediluvian
« Reply #168 on: July 03, 2011, 02:34:04 AM »
I finally got around  to watching The Lost Boys: The Thirst. Not terrible but rolled my eyes with the concept of vampiric dentures. Corey Feldman also seemed like he was imitating Dave Mustaine.

Offline _username

• Got Stront?
  • Antediluvian
« Reply #169 on: July 03, 2011, 06:52:13 PM »
The Lost Boys movies are always entertaining (and always stupid as hell).  The third one was better than the second one, IMO.
LUNA NOBIS PROVIDET

Offline WhiteRussian

• Society of Leopold
  • Methuselah
« Reply #170 on: July 04, 2011, 03:55:33 AM »
I enjoyed the 3rd one.  The second one sucked liquid ass.
If you love something let it go. If it doesn't return, hunt it down and kill it.

Offline El_Gostro

• Unposting posting poster unposting postitions
  • Antediluvian
  • Shifting
« Reply #171 on: July 04, 2011, 04:38:26 AM »
Heheh Can totally see Mustaine in Hunter the reckoning!
N anyhos one has to admit if in our plane,the author of that hygiene ocmmercial was that hot chick it'd actuallyes bes an improvement!!!!

------
Talkin bout Shumacher "this looks kinda gay" movies,just saws his take at ze phantoooooooom of the opeeeraaaaaa

And yeah this guy's really gay

Like DRacula 2000 really gay...
« Last Edit: July 04, 2011, 04:42:24 AM by El_Gostro »

Offline _username

• Got Stront?
  • Antediluvian
« Reply #172 on: July 05, 2011, 01:40:04 AM »
Dracula 2000 was only barely saved by the fact that they got 7 of 9 to be a hawt blood doll.
LUNA NOBIS PROVIDET

Offline Ventrueloquist

• Methuselah
« Reply #173 on: July 05, 2011, 07:54:44 PM »
Signothorn, you have to tell me what movie your user icon displays. A werewolf giving someone the finger? That's just too hilarious!

Offline _username

• Got Stront?
  • Antediluvian
« Reply #174 on: July 06, 2011, 12:18:36 AM »
Cursed.  I'm pretty sure that Christina Ricci in the .gif as well.
LUNA NOBIS PROVIDET

Offline Signothorn

• God Hates Fangs
  • Administratrix
  • Antediluvian
« Reply #175 on: July 06, 2011, 12:31:32 AM »

Yes, the premise in the scene is Christina Ricci is trying to draw the werewolf out. she know who the werewolf is and it's someone who is sensitive of her appearance. Ricci's character is describing the human to a police officer as someone with bony knees or something to that effect and this was the result.

Offline Porphyria

• Antediluvian
« Reply #176 on: July 06, 2011, 02:00:44 AM »
I finally got around  to watching The Lost Boys: The Thirst. Not terrible but rolled my eyes with the concept of vampiric dentures. Corey Feldman also seemed like he was imitating Dave Mustaine.

vampiric dentures? Do you mean dental implants of fangs that people get?

Offline Signothorn

• God Hates Fangs
  • Administratrix
  • Antediluvian
« Reply #177 on: July 06, 2011, 02:03:58 AM »

vampiric dentures? Do you mean dental implants of fangs that people get?

No, it was an old dude in a wheel chair, I meant dentures that have fangs.

Offline Ventrueloquist

• Methuselah
« Reply #178 on: July 06, 2011, 03:37:36 PM »

Thanks! It looks really bad in a good way. I'm a sucker for so-bad-it's-good-movies. Movies can be entertaining is so many different ways. I could never enjoy playing a computer game or reading a book that's bad in the way some movies are bad. That's the only reason why I enjoyed films like Dude where's my car, Transformers and Twilight (I wouldn't be caught undead reading it).

Offline Signothorn

• God Hates Fangs
  • Administratrix
  • Antediluvian
« Reply #179 on: July 22, 2011, 05:10:46 AM »
I just caught the vampire movie "Let Me In" on Netflix. Surprisingly good and different.