collapse

Author Topic: If this is what I think it is...  (Read 2884 times)

Offline deicide

• Drug Fiend
  • Methuselah
Re: If this is what I think it is...
« Reply #135 on: May 10, 2019, 02:54:33 AM »
I don't know about wether we should "let go" of some of these things. I'm neither gay nor jewish but I honestly cannot stand for trash like this having the title of videogame, it dishonors the genre and hurts people in more ways than one.
The problem, there's no objective definition of a good videogame. Taking down something like these will surely create a precedent for witch-hunting valid games not only like Postal, but anything that doesn't fit political correctness. So yeah, anynone is free to create a videogame as dreadful and dishonorable as he pleases, it's a side product of creative freedom, freedom of speech in gamedev area if you like.
I would rather let them sit here and watch who's playing, if the most auduence are wannabe homicidal bigots indeed, they will serve as a detector if anything. Or make mods that will bring some diversity into targets selection, which should be easy to do, because these games are usually built on engines like Unity. I'm sure the authors will find it funny, especially if a mod will become more popular than an original game.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 02:57:37 AM by deicide »
The patient was a young lady whom I was loath to disfigure (c)

Offline Highwayman667

• Antediluvian
  • Fuck The Chantry
« Reply #136 on: May 11, 2019, 01:43:36 AM »
The problem, there's no objective definition of a good videogame. Taking down something like these will surely create a precedent for witch-hunting valid games not only like Postal, but anything that doesn't fit political correctness. So yeah, anynone is free to create a videogame as dreadful and dishonorable as he pleases, it's a side product of creative freedom, freedom of speech in gamedev area if you like.

I don't know if anyone has suggested these games be banned... though it wouldn't cause any harm if they were.

The line isn't as blurry as people think, Postal seems to be an absurd game about random violence with some sick and dark humor included, it doesn't target specific individuals nor does it validate ideas related to hateful ideologies. If it's suddenly "Too PC" to call people out on their own immorality then we might as well give up on trying to make the world a more decent and fair place for everyone.

Offline deicide

• Drug Fiend
  • Methuselah
« Reply #137 on: May 11, 2019, 05:52:41 AM »
There's no objective criteria for "sick and dark humor" as well. One man's humor is another's offence. These two are absurd enough, at least to me, to be counsidered an attempt (not the best, to say it politely) in such. If not the audience and the author, would never suspect it's anything but this.
I can also recall a Russian "Forest Warden" videogame, released circa early 2000's with a similar plot, the goal is to wipe an area from gays with very limited ammo supply, usually 1-2 rounds more than targets. Should you miss or go out of ammo, you're fvcked. It wasn't taken seriously, nor it meant so.

Should we start with these games, we will end up with Werewolf, because white supremacists crowd tend to favor this one, among other things.

Offline Highwayman667

• Antediluvian
  • Fuck The Chantry
« Reply #138 on: May 12, 2019, 03:43:04 PM »
It wasn't taken seriously, nor it meant so.

And how sure are you about the latter ? Maybe it was meant to be taken seriously but didn't get the notoriety the developers wanted.

Should we start with these games, we will end up with Werewolf, because white supremacists crowd tend to favor this one, among other things.

White supremacists are supporting Werewolf ? Wut ?

And if we're talking about banning or denouncing some games, I wouldn't denounce Werewolf because the game's premise doesn't seem to be about targeting a specific group of individuals. Anyone can support any game. I'm pretty sure at least one hateful person supported Pillars of Eternity, and that game is amazing.

Offline deicide

• Drug Fiend
  • Methuselah
« Reply #139 on: May 12, 2019, 08:36:26 PM »
For the reason that it wasn't an officially released game, but a homebrew published under a nickname on some blogs and other resources. Should he wanted to, he could state openly just about anything without consequences, but nope. So, it could be safely assumed that the game is a brain fart of a bored office hamster for office hamsters, and it met its audience.

Edit: VtM emphasises the power of personality, which attracts some neo-Nazis. Werewolf is on the opposite side of spectrum, so it's of no surprise people who want to lose theirs to a crowd interested. Sure, Werewolf isn't supremacistic, but it provides a convinient framework for such games from the tribalistically/collectivistically thinking people's point of view. More so, there's a little actual difference between some nominally far-right and far-left ideologies.
I would call that "setting abuse".
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 05:27:07 AM by deicide »