collapse

Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: I fear the perfect vampire game may never exist  (Read 414 times)

Offline The Shadow Man

• Antediluvian
I fear the perfect vampire game may never exist
« on: June 15, 2018, 12:09:09 PM »
I fear the perfect vampire game may never exist;

Dogma appears to be dead.

Shadow's Kiss has (in my opinion) awful cartoonish aesthetics.

Redemption while I liked the storyline mostly I pretty much hated everything about the gameplay.

Bloodlines is a bugged masterpiece for sure but it is and always was unfinished (though completable) and shows its age for sure.

Vampyr has great story, atmosphere and nice dialogue but bosses are for the most part uninspired then reappear as normal enemies, no fast travel meaning travelling around the huge map is tedious plus I often get lost, dialogue repeats on common characters, there's no way to skip dialogue, as much as I like the 'Cursed by the Choice' idea it is a bit of a pain, enemies respawn ugh, the vampire skills are the most part practical but not very interesting, while some enemies you can run from if you come to a door, shadow jump or gate then you have to kill any enemies casing you in order to use them, many boss fights seem forced, the map always knows where you need to go but its not always clear how the PC knows and there's just too many enemies period.

The less said about Dark and BloodLust: Shadow Hunter the better, though I liked the angel idea from Dark.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 12:33:14 PM by Wesp5 »

Offline lhide

• Neonate Programmer
  • Fledgling
    • House in the Sky Games
Re: I fear the perfect vampire game may never exist
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2018, 03:16:27 PM »
It seems to me as if Vampyr started as a bloodlines sequel and somewhere under development they decided to make GTA may cry 3: Andromeda, but joking aside i have a proposition for you and for all who think like you say ypi do in your post:
There are two talented developers creating a game right here in these forums, we can make a game we all enjoy if you all help us do it! Let's make it happen, don't wait for big developers who target millions of dollars to do that job.

Here is a little fun we had testing our interaction system:
instagram.com/houseintheskygames
patreon.com/HitSgames
houseintheskygames.tumblr.com

Offline The Shadow Man

• Antediluvian
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2018, 06:12:31 PM »
Don't get me wrong there are parts of Vampyr I love but it just dosen't entirely hit the spot if you know what I mean.

Well that does sound appealing but I've been hurt before namely by Dogma. So let me ask a few questions.

Do you have an overall plan? Is there a storyline?

Do you plan to make modding easy? If so how?

Is this going to be a VtM Game? If so how much of VtM will be included? 5 clans? 13 clans? Any bloodlines? Any other creatures?

Do you plan to sell the game?

How will it be disturbed?

Who gets finally say on what happens with the game? Who owns it?

If I was to be involved what sort of thing would I end up doing?

How will it differ from the games I mentioned? Lets not forget that Bloodlines already exists, an aim would be a modern vampire game not a 2004 vampire game and as good as Bloodlines is, its not perfect.

Finally do you plan to make clothing customisable not just set outfits? I say this as a player who will play male characters given the option and they often get less thought clothing wise than female characters.

Offline lhide

• Neonate Programmer
  • Fledgling
    • House in the Sky Games
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2018, 07:45:03 PM »
Do you mind asking again in my thread so maybe i can answer more people which may have the same questions?
instagram.com/houseintheskygames
patreon.com/HitSgames
houseintheskygames.tumblr.com

Offline deicide

• Ancillus
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2018, 07:08:17 AM »
How will it differ from the games I mentioned? Lets not forget that Bloodlines already exists, an aim would be a modern vampire game not a 2004 vampire game and as good as Bloodlines is, its not perfect.
Considering how crappy modern games are, "2004 vampire game" sounds like "impossibly technically advanced vampire game" with raytracing, colored shadows, dynamic lighting fx and everything that missing from modern shader pipeline fest renderers.
Take a look at Neverwinter Nights or Soulbringer.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 08:57:40 AM by deicide »

Offline The Shadow Man

• Antediluvian
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2018, 11:47:32 AM »
Considering how crappy modern games are, "2004 vampire game" sounds like "impossibly technically advanced vampire game" with raytracing, colored shadows, dynamic lighting fx and everything that missing from modern shader pipeline fest renderers.
Take a look at Neverwinter Nights or Soulbringer.
Clearly you've misunderstood... point is time has moved on, we shouldn't be trying to make a game just like Bloodlines because of all the limitations it has. There are things that can be done now that weren't being done then.

Offline deicide

• Ancillus
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2018, 04:01:19 PM »
Indeed I am, and I apologize for that. Thought you're meant it from purely tech perspective (and the game development haven't progressed since these times at all save standard texture size, even degenerated in many areas).
Completely agree that recreating Bloodlines is pointless, there are so many horrible design choices due to the lack of experience in programming, buggy alpha engine forced by the publisher (the same who killed Soulbringer), time constrains and the rushed deadline.

For example, I think HUD should be minimalistic and minigames are faux-consolish time-sucking BS. There are no need in Tetris and IQ test clones in vampire cRPG.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 05:19:25 PM by deicide »

Offline The Shadow Man

• Antediluvian
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2018, 07:22:30 PM »
I'm glad you understand where I'm coming from now. When a game is made dosen't necerasily mean it will be good or bad.
For the most part I like the Bloodlines HUD design much more interesting than Vampyr's that is for sure but it is too large yes, I  did like the look of the Project Valuderie HUD design.

Offline Wesp5

• Administratrix
  • Antediluvian
  • Unofficial Patcher
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2018, 11:36:50 PM »
Quote from: The Shadow Man link=topic=7687.msg138725#msg138725
For the most part I like the Bloodlines HUD design much more interesting than Vampyr's that is for sure but it is too large yes, I  did like the look of the Project Valuderie HUD design.

I for one think the opposite: the Bloodlines HUD is unique and very well fitting to the dark and gothic style of the game, while a modern minimalistic HUD would be run of the mill...

Offline deicide

• Ancillus
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2018, 08:11:22 AM »
Quite probably, the people who doesn't use guns would agree. Myself thought it wasn't distracting before the first non-melee playthrough. In the HUD area, it's unlikely that something new would be invented, as it was already perfected by FPSes like Quake III Arena. I don't consider it integral for VtM style, the same with dialogue window.
And, by the way, casting animations are obtrusive in the first person view for the same reason, though far more than HUD.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 08:18:30 AM by deicide »

Offline The Shadow Man

• Antediluvian
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2018, 11:46:56 PM »
The HUD size dosen't really bother me but it is quiet large. The blood gauge is nice, health gauge is too brightly coloured for my taste though I have worked out to make it a preferable colour.

Offline Raving_Neonate

• Rave.Period.
  • Antediluvian
  • Raving somewhere....
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2018, 03:25:53 PM »
Everything should stay dedicated to the subject of the game - the tinted and gothic gauges of Bloodlines are absolutely perfect and for a game set in a dark universe those should be a must. Vampyr has a weird HUD, reminds me of Assassin's creed and in my book that is a huge minus, but the story makes up for it.
Me: "I love lollipops!"
WoD ST: "We don't allow lollipops, because we are too dark!"

* Game Files