collapse

Author Topic: Fantasy Lore  (Read 1692 times)

Offline DarkZephyr

• Caine's Plaything
  • Antediluvian
Re: Fantasy Lore
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2019, 02:57:52 AM »
See, I get "The Chantry is delusional and sucks" when I play Dragon Age.  Maybe its just a matter of perspective.  I know that the *Chantry* thinks that they need to be around to regulate the mages (unless Leliana becomes the new Divine, you can help her do that and she will announce many changes, including mages are now completely free to be their own individuals, all over Thedas) but to me that doesn't mean BioWare is trying to SAY this is the ultimate truth.  I love Dragon Age very much but they need to inject some fresh stuff into the franchise.

Interesting opinion of yours there. I'll reconsider.

As for what Dragon Age needs, I personally believe it needs to just screw up less.

I mean, the main story missions in Inquisition were outrageously amazing. Time travelling in Redcliffe, The Battle of Haven, the Coup attempt at Orlais, the Siege at the Grey Warden base. I don't think there was a single story mission I honestly didn't like from that game.

The problem to me was the sheer amount of boredom involving the sidequests. It was like playing a whole 'nother game while doing those chores in the Hinterlands alone, to not even mention all the other places where NOTHING was happening.

I agree, that DAI was too big. I love the game for it's great characters and interesting main quests (and even some side quests - I loved all of Crestwoods quests for example, my favorite map) and I don't have to spill out, how much I love the Redcliffe quest with Dorian for the Doctor Who vibes, but all the fetching quests were just too much imo.

Overall, the game is a triumph and certainly a financial and critical success, but I agree.  All the little hither and thither, collect 40 pieces of this and 100 shards of that and 30 of these statuettes and 15 of these coins, etc was massive overkill. 

Offline Highwayman667

• Antediluvian
« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2019, 08:07:44 PM »
Overall, the game is a triumph and certainly a financial and critical success, but I agree.  All the little hither and thither, collect 40 pieces of this and 100 shards of that and 30 of these statuettes and 15 of these coins, etc was massive overkill.

Hopefully EA has also learned that lesson from Anthem as well, which apparently had a ton of fetching attached to it's gameplay.

Offline Barabbah

• Majestic madness maker
  • Antediluvian
« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2019, 11:12:28 PM »
Anthem? That Iron Man-ish game they ended up releasing it only despite being 100% crap because for all the hype behind was the perfect field test for new adwares?
"Some quotations," said Zellaby, "are greatly improved by lack of context."
― John Wyndham, The Midwich Cuckoos
"fuck the hole in the face"
― me

Offline Highwayman667

• Antediluvian
« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2019, 11:30:42 PM »
Anthem? That Iron Man-ish game they ended up releasing it only despite being 100% crap because for all the hype behind was the perfect field test for new adwares?

The same one. Hopefully Casey Hudson will make sure everyone learns from the experience and move on forward with much better games from now on.

Offline DarkZephyr

• Caine's Plaything
  • Antediluvian
« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2019, 09:36:29 AM »

Hopefully EA has also learned that lesson from Anthem as well, which apparently had a ton of fetching attached to it's gameplay.

I'm still excited for Dragon Age 4 though.  :D

Offline Highwayman667

• Antediluvian
« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2019, 12:31:48 PM »

Same here. I'm pretty confident it can be the best Dragon Age game if they correct the DAI issues.

Offline DarkZephyr

• Caine's Plaything
  • Antediluvian
« Reply #36 on: August 09, 2019, 08:16:19 AM »

Same here. I'm pretty confident it can be the best Dragon Age game if they correct the DAI issues.

Agreed.

Offline Highwayman667

• Antediluvian
« Reply #37 on: August 09, 2019, 08:19:39 PM »
Solas as the villain though... not very exciting to me xD

Offline DarkZephyr

• Caine's Plaything
  • Antediluvian
« Reply #38 on: August 10, 2019, 05:11:53 AM »
Solas as the villain though... not very exciting to me xD

Well, he is one of them, but that doesn't mean there won't be another.  If you recall, the previous game really had two antagonists as well.  Solas may not even be the primary antagonist this time 'round. 

Offline Barabbah

• Majestic madness maker
  • Antediluvian
« Reply #39 on: August 10, 2019, 06:19:48 AM »
Anyone heard of the tv series remake of the lord of the rings films?
― me

Offline Ghanima_Atreides

• Libera Me de Ignem
  • Methuselah
« Reply #40 on: August 10, 2019, 08:42:46 AM »
Yes, but it's not a remake. It's set in the 2nd era and will center around Sauron's rise to power.
Strange is the night where black stars rise,
And strange moons circle through the skies,
But stranger still is
Lost Carcosa.

Offline Barabbah

• Majestic madness maker
  • Antediluvian
« Reply #41 on: August 10, 2019, 08:47:38 AM »
Oh thank god. I heard it was a remake
Now I hope it won't portray Sauron as a human cliché tragical ex good hero turned evil
― me

Offline Ghanima_Atreides

• Libera Me de Ignem
  • Methuselah
« Reply #42 on: August 10, 2019, 09:21:01 AM »
Well I assume it will follow the lore, which establishes pretty clearly who Sauron was (not human for once) and how he turned to evil. And the Tolkien Estate are pretty particular about adaptations taking into account the Professor's lore.

That being said, his fall as written by Tolkien IS pretty stereotypical...
Strange is the night where black stars rise,
And strange moons circle through the skies,
But stranger still is
Lost Carcosa.

Offline Barabbah

• Majestic madness maker
  • Antediluvian
« Reply #43 on: August 10, 2019, 10:24:38 AM »
I've never imagined him outside his movie appearance. To me it was only an eerie and constant precence of an ancient evil.
― me

Offline Highwayman667

• Antediluvian
« Reply #44 on: August 19, 2019, 02:52:27 AM »
Well, he is one of them, but that doesn't mean there won't be another.  If you recall, the previous game really had two antagonists as well.  Solas may not even be the primary antagonist this time 'round.

Maybe it'll be someone new. I really can't imagine anyone outside of... Flemeth ? Not even.