collapse

Author Topic: Fantasy Lore  (Read 1126 times)

Offline Barabbah

• Majestic madness maker
  • Antediluvian
Re: Fantasy Lore
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2019, 07:44:46 AM »
"Some quotations," said Zellaby, "are greatly improved by lack of context."
― John Wyndham, The Midwich Cuckoos
"fuck the hole in the face"
― me

Offline DarkZephyr

• Caine's Plaything
  • Antediluvian
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2019, 08:02:18 AM »

Offline DarkZephyr

• Caine's Plaything
  • Antediluvian
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2019, 12:08:20 AM »
That cute little Mass Effect easter egg aside, the Thedas of Dragon Age is not a planet.  Thedas is ON a planet, naturally.  Its not a planet itself.  Its a continent.  As for the planet that Thedas is on, its a planet with magic, the fade and spirits. It was once utterly encompassed by The Fade.

I will say that if I am pissed at anything, is if The Maker is real and turns out to be an actual god.

I always thought the worst part in Origins was discovering that the Urn of Sacred Ashes was actually an urn with healing powers. What a bunch of shit. Not even the original legend it was based upon even worked like that.

Its because of the high concentration of Lyrium under the temple and not because of the Maker.  It even effects Leliana if she is killed there in your DAO playthrough and this is revealed in Dragon Age Inquisition. 

That being said, why would it piss you off so much if the Maker is real?

As for the original legend it was based on, I assume you mean the Holy Grail?

« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 05:39:40 AM by DarkZephyr »

Offline Highwayman667

• Antediluvian
  • Fuck The Chantry
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2019, 04:26:26 AM »
Its because of the high concentration of Lyrium under the temple and not because of the Maker.  It even effects Leliana if she is killed there in your DOA playthrough and this is revealed in Dragon Age Inquisition.

I'm not sure that link was entirely confirmed in DAO. For all intents and purposes you just see the ashes cure Arl Eamon. And yes, I was indeed talking about thy Holy Grail.

This is an interesting question for me, and one I might just have to answer from a completely subjective point of view. On one hand, I wouldn't like it if The Maker was real because I don't believe I'm in kindergarten anymore, I find it silly to think about the idea of god existing even in a setting where elves and magic are perfectly real.

On the other hand, the only thing I probably dislike about the Dragon Age series is the religious apologism the writers sometimes indulge in. "The Chantry is necessary", "The Chantry keeps the peace", "The Chantry guards and protects Thedas".

Sure, they try to balance it out with other perspectives... but I find more often than not that they fail.

Offline DarkZephyr

• Caine's Plaything
  • Antediluvian
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2019, 06:01:41 AM »
Its because of the high concentration of Lyrium under the temple and not because of the Maker.  It even effects Leliana if she is killed there in your DOA playthrough and this is revealed in Dragon Age Inquisition.

I'm not sure that link was entirely confirmed in DAO. For all intents and purposes you just see the ashes cure Arl Eamon. And yes, I was indeed talking about thy Holy Grail.

Well it becomes a bit clearer in DAI if Leliana died in DAO.  Its related to how the hell she can be alive in DAI if she died in DAO and ultimately what that means for her and her existence. 

This is an interesting question for me, and one I might just have to answer from a completely subjective point of view. On one hand, I wouldn't like it if The Maker was real because I don't believe I'm in kindergarten anymore, I find it silly to think about the idea of god existing even in a setting where elves and magic are perfectly real.

On the other hand, the only thing I probably dislike about the Dragon Age series is the religious apologism the writers sometimes indulge in. "The Chantry is necessary", "The Chantry keeps the peace", "The Chantry guards and protects Thedas".

Sure, they try to balance it out with other perspectives... but I find more often than not that they fail.

Well, their lore is their lore.  Personally, I try not to allow my own real life personal beliefs and agnosticism to affect my rage level directed at fictional fantasy video games.  I am no believer but I love the fictional gods of my favorite fantasy settings, such as TES and Forgotten Realms.  I find them to be much more enjoyable than what we get with Dragon Age.  I'm a big fan of Sheogorath, Azura, Mystra and Elistraee.  So if the Maker turned out to be real and it was DONE well, preferably in a way that rocks the chantry to the core, I would be very pleased.

Offline Barabbah

• Majestic madness maker
  • Antediluvian
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2019, 08:16:33 AM »
Well, I don't mind deitiies in fantasy lore, specially if there are also demented ones just for the lols. As well as the options for atheists, agnostics, new ageish, freedom to mash things up or creating your own cult (the latter even for just profit)
― me

Offline DarkZephyr

• Caine's Plaything
  • Antediluvian
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2019, 09:24:29 AM »
Well, I don't mind deitiies in fantasy lore, specially if there are also demented ones just for the lols. As well as the options for atheists, agnostics, new ageish, freedom to mash things up or creating your own cult (the latter even for just profit)

I don't feel the need to BE an atheist or an agnostic in a video game, but if that option is available for others, that's fine.  I actually like games that allow my character to apotheosize or "ascend" to godhood.  You get this to varying degrees with games like TES III: Morrowind, TES IV: Oblivion (Knights of the Nine, Shivering Isles), Jade Empire and Baldur's Gate II (Throne of Bhaal).  I very much enjoy it.   

Offline Barabbah

• Majestic madness maker
  • Antediluvian
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2019, 09:11:51 PM »
I loved how in Gothic II (I know I've already said that but whatever, sue me) most of the NPCs (specially many opposing you both as enemies and simple assholes you have to deal with) are religious fanaticals. And in the end you and
Spoiler for Hiden:
Xardas, your "mentor", prevail agaist all of them despite not giving a fuck about the gods on their or your side. So, as I felt it, it's wasn't about ascending to the level of gods for achieving godhood but to spite on their authority, possibly pointing to a final reckoning between you and Xardas so epical even gods fear the outcome.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 09:16:35 PM by Barabbah »
― me

Offline DarkZephyr

• Caine's Plaything
  • Antediluvian
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2019, 11:03:02 PM »
I loved how in Gothic II (I know I've already said that but whatever, sue me) most of the NPCs (specially many opposing you both as enemies and simple assholes you have to deal with) are religious fanaticals. And in the end you and
Spoiler for Hiden:
Xardas, your "mentor", prevail agaist all of them despite not giving a fuck about the gods on their or your side. So, as I felt it, it's wasn't about ascending to the level of gods for achieving godhood but to spite on their authority, possibly pointing to a final reckoning between you and Xardas so epical even gods fear the outcome.

Yeah, I just like actually being a god.  Sure, I can thumb my nose at the gods and feel triumphant over my calvaliar "I don't care" attitude, but that won't give me eternal life and the literal power of creation.  lol 

Offline Highwayman667

• Antediluvian
  • Fuck The Chantry
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2019, 12:19:58 AM »
Well, their lore is their lore.  Personally, I try not to allow my own real life personal beliefs and agnosticism to affect my rage level directed at fictional fantasy video games.  I am no believer but I love the fictional gods of my favorite fantasy settings, such as TES and Forgotten Realms.  I find them to be much more enjoyable than what we get with Dragon Age.  I'm a big fan of Sheogorath, Azura, Mystra and Elistraee.  So if the Maker turned out to be real and it was DONE well, preferably in a way that rocks the chantry to the core, I would be very pleased.

Oh well anything that makes for a good story is always welcome. The problem with Dragon Age is how often the writers try to force a controversy that just doesn't exist; now normally this wouldn't bother me but it clearly tries to make reference to real events and it often comes off as ignorant and misguided. Say what you will about the Daedra in the Elder Scrolls but they only exist to serve the story and not some inane point about the necessity for religious institutions to regulate society.

Offline DarkZephyr

• Caine's Plaything
  • Antediluvian
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2019, 01:08:50 AM »

Oh well anything that makes for a good story is always welcome. The problem with Dragon Age is how often the writers try to force a controversy that just doesn't exist; now normally this wouldn't bother me but it clearly tries to make reference to real events and it often comes off as ignorant and misguided. Say what you will about the Daedra in the Elder Scrolls but they only exist to serve the story and not some inane point about the necessity for religious institutions to regulate society.

See, I get "The Chantry is delusional and sucks" when I play Dragon Age.  Maybe its just a matter of perspective.  I know that the *Chantry* thinks that they need to be around to regulate the mages (unless Leliana becomes the new Divine, you can help her do that and she will announce many changes, including mages are now completely free to be their own individuals, all over Thedas) but to me that doesn't mean BioWare is trying to SAY this is the ultimate truth.  I love Dragon Age very much but they need to inject some fresh stuff into the franchise. 

Offline Highwayman667

• Antediluvian
  • Fuck The Chantry
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2019, 04:33:12 PM »
See, I get "The Chantry is delusional and sucks" when I play Dragon Age.  Maybe its just a matter of perspective.  I know that the *Chantry* thinks that they need to be around to regulate the mages (unless Leliana becomes the new Divine, you can help her do that and she will announce many changes, including mages are now completely free to be their own individuals, all over Thedas) but to me that doesn't mean BioWare is trying to SAY this is the ultimate truth.  I love Dragon Age very much but they need to inject some fresh stuff into the franchise.

Interesting opinion of yours there. I'll reconsider.

As for what Dragon Age needs, I personally believe it needs to just screw up less.

I mean, the main story missions in Inquisition were outrageously amazing. Time travelling in Redcliffe, The Battle of Haven, the Coup attempt at Orlais, the Siege at the Grey Warden base. I don't think there was a single story mission I honestly didn't like from that game.

The problem to me was the sheer amount of boredom involving the sidequests. It was like playing a whole 'nother game while doing those chores in the Hinterlands alone, to not even mention all the other places where NOTHING was happening.

Offline DarkZephyr

• Caine's Plaything
  • Antediluvian
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2019, 06:17:48 AM »

As for what Dragon Age needs, I personally believe it needs to just screw up less.

I mean, the main story missions in Inquisition were outrageously amazing. Time travelling in Redcliffe, The Battle of Haven, the Coup attempt at Orlais, the Siege at the Grey Warden base. I don't think there was a single story mission I honestly didn't like from that game.

The problem to me was the sheer amount of boredom involving the sidequests. It was like playing a whole 'nother game while doing those chores in the Hinterlands alone, to not even mention all the other places where NOTHING was happening.

I agree.  DAI was another triumph, story-wise and character-wise.  But running back and forth across massive terrain got a little tedious.  That's why I like to check out this guy's saves now that I have played it myself a bunch:

https://www.nexusmods.com/dragonageinquisition/users/21471159?tab=user+files

And if you don't like his world state, that can always be fixed by creating your own character, with the world state you want, then exporting that world state into his save with the Save editor.  Only problem is that his saves seem to already have Hawke. I wish he had left the Hawke creation to us. 

Offline Highwayman667

• Antediluvian
  • Fuck The Chantry
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2019, 03:50:50 AM »
I agree.  DAI was another triumph, story-wise and character-wise.  But running back and forth across massive terrain got a little tedious.  That's why I like to check out this guy's saves now that I have played it myself a bunch:

https://www.nexusmods.com/dragonageinquisition/users/21471159?tab=user+files

And if you don't like his world state, that can always be fixed by creating your own character, with the world state you want, then exporting that world state into his save with the Save editor.  Only problem is that his saves seem to already have Hawke. I wish he had left the Hawke creation to us.

That's a rather thorough and interesting interpretation of modding !
Agree Agree x 1 View List

Offline fylimar

• Methuselah
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2019, 09:14:08 PM »

I agree, that DAI was too big. I love the game for it's great characters and interesting main quests (and even some side quests - I loved all of Crestwoods quests for example, my favorite map) and I don't have to spill out, how much I love the Redcliffe quest with Dorian for the Doctor Who vibes, but all the fetching quests were just too much imo.

“They can keep their heaven. When I die, I’d sooner go to Middle Earth.” ― George R.R. Martin

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."
― Doctor Who