collapse

Author Topic: Can Vampires Embrace someone with Artificial heart ?  (Read 325 times)

This topic contains a post which is marked as Best Answer. Press here if you would like to see it.

Offline Zeppeli

• Fledgling
Can Vampires Embrace someone with Artificial heart ?
« on: April 11, 2019, 02:27:55 PM »
Maybe someone with more knowledge of the lore can speculate answer for me

Offline El_Gostro

• Unposting posting poster unposting postitions
  • Antediluvian
  • Shifting
Re: Can Vampires Embrace someone with Artificial heart ?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2019, 02:33:50 PM »
What would be the issue?

If we re talking about old old world of darkness, then it shouldn't really be a problem as the condition of  vampirism though obscure seems to be of a mystical nature or at least as something that defies/d scientific measuring instruments.
A good example would be in Bloodlines when the Chinese fellows are testing the player character and expose it to artificial UV light.

Offline Zeppeli

• Fledgling
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2019, 02:56:34 PM »
Yes, but does not wooden stake through heart paralyze vampires ? also substantial damage to body kills them.. would not absence of heart cause problems ?

Marked as best answer by Dirtydog on April 11, 2019, 08:57:51 PM

Offline El_Gostro

• Antediluvian
  • Shifting
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2019, 03:35:44 PM »
The Followers of Set can remove their heart and store it in a safe place as a gameplay feature :chinscratch:.

IN the case of an artifical heart , guess you could say that either the vampiric curse/body adapts to the artifical heart and functionally in gameplay works the same. Or, that as the vampiric  curse requires the heart as a mystic component the embrace fails and the victim dies...

Offline Barabbah

• Majestic madness maker
  • Antediluvian
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2019, 04:16:21 PM »
Or the stake will instantly kill the bloodsucker. Your question was more related to the consequences?
"Some quotations," said Zellaby, "are greatly improved by lack of context."
― John Wyndham, The Midwich Cuckoos
"fuck the hole in the face"
― me

Offline Radical21

• Antediluvian
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2019, 11:29:00 PM »
The whole stake in the heart thing is because the heart is the organ to supplies blood to the rest of the body.
In the case of vampires this is more mystical since internal organs of elders atrophy as they age. so the short answer is that a metal heart won't protect a vampire from staking.

Of course as with everything in an RPG,  if you want something to work differently, you can change it , just know that in reality that stuff won't quite work like that.

Besides if a Storyteller said that metal heart protects a Kindred or a Cainite , then it makes things easier : just use Electromagnetism against them.  Can't really call a metal heart an advantage.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 11:34:05 PM by Radical21 »

Offline Zeppeli

• Fledgling
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2019, 02:32:48 AM »
I'm not asking if metal heart will protect vampire that would be ridiculous. The question is since heart is obviously important for vampire, will a mortal with artificial heart be able to turn into one.

Offline El_Gostro

• Antediluvian
  • Shifting
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2019, 04:19:25 AM »
Depends on the storyteller.
Like Like x 1 View List

Offline Radical21

• Antediluvian
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2019, 12:58:44 PM »
I'm not asking if metal heart will protect vampire that would be ridiculous. The question is since heart is obviously important for vampire, will a mortal with artificial heart be able to turn into one.

Yes they would.

Offline deicide

• Drug Fiend
  • Methuselah
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2019, 03:10:12 PM »
It wouldn't be much different from a normal heart, for a vamp it's nothing but a symbol of his beating one, a phantom remembrance. A stake still would paralyse him. Technically, a piece of plastic and metal (since actual artifical hearts are plastic with metal parts) would get in a way, but it wouldn't be impossible because it's not necessary to actually pierce it, just drive a stake into a heart area.
I would add some resistance against staking as well as handicaps to physical traits (like Stamina), but not immunity.

If we're talking sci-fi tech, a permanent artifical heart that performs better than natural, it would be a trait that cost extra points. Of course, a heart implant is useless for a vampire, but as I said, it's an important symbol. A character remembers what it was like when he was alive, so it should give similar bonuses and handicaps as in life.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2019, 03:42:09 PM by deicide »
The patient was a young lady whom I was loath to disfigure (c)
Informative Informative x 1 View List