collapse

Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Account closure?  (Read 704 times)

GDPR_deleted

Account closure?
« on: December 12, 2019, 01:49:35 AM »
How can I close this account?

I can't find an option and I would like to delete this account.

Cheers

Online Highwayman667

• Antediluvian
Re: Account closure?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2019, 06:18:51 AM »
  • Best Answer
  • How can I close this account?

Cheers

Aaaawww... don't leave us kindred !

GDPR_deleted

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2019, 06:08:38 PM »
  • Best Answer
  • How can I close this account?

Cheers

Aaaawww... don't leave us kindred !

It is beyond my control.

Offline MooCHa

• Nelapsi
    • Methuselah
    « Reply #3 on: December 17, 2019, 08:05:33 PM »
  • Best Answer
  • I don't believe admin close or remove accounts as to preserve the community.
    Regards...

Offline Signothorn

• God Hates Fangs
    • Administratrix
    • Antediluvian
    « Reply #4 on: December 17, 2019, 08:35:07 PM »
  • Best Answer
  • I don't believe admin close or remove accounts as to preserve the community.

Correct

Offline samspin

• Administratrix
    • Ancillus
    « Reply #5 on: December 28, 2019, 07:54:38 PM »
  • Best Answer
  • Actually under the GDPR we have to remove people's personal information on request if the subject is a European Citizen. However any non-identifying information (e.g. forum posts) would NOT be removed. The only exception is if any posts contain your username, email address, or IP address, or postal address. In which case we would run a find-and-replace to anonymise this information but the rest of said posts would remain intact. This would be to preserve the structure of any stories that would be very difficult to understand/follow without the original information (under the GDPR this information is "still required" but could no longer be used to personally identify you anyway).
    We would then rename your account to "GDPR_Deleted" and then delete your account. That would take away IP addresses and email addresses (or anything else like pictures) you have on your profile. A find-and-replace would then be run through the database to ensure that your username no longer is associated with any of your posts (they would have the name "GDPR_Deleted"). Note that messages you have sent to other members will remain in their inboxes until they delete them (although would appear to be from "GDPR_Deleted" with no option to reply since there would be no account/email address to reply to), since this information is still "required" in the sense that you wouldn't expect a random bailiff to force down your door, demand your phone at gunpoint and then delete text messages you have already received because the sender has demanded to be deleted!
    Note that if anyone requests a GDPR deletion and has committed abuse on this forum, the following will happen: IP addresses, usernames and emails associated with said person would be stored offline with a note for me to check against should said subject attempt to create a new account later. This would be to prevent abuse of the GDPR provisions (think about it: if you commit a crime, you cannot request it be removed from your criminal record!). The GDPR does allow for such exemptions like this and justification would be given for this to said subject. I believe this offers the best compromise and going forward this is how I will handle such requests.
    « Last Edit: December 28, 2019, 08:31:20 PM by samspin »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal