collapse

Author Topic: How did the NWOD tank? Chronicle the fall to me, please...  (Read 334 times)

Offline El_Gostro

• Unposting posting poster unposting postitions
  • Antediluvian
  • Shifting
Was it a new coke type of affair?(the carbonated beverage, not the purified substance... Though if one comes to think about it: is crack to cocaïne what new coke was to coke?)

Why did CCP relinquish the IP?
Are they broke? Did Signo go on a murderous spree that was covered up as a fire incident due to not being able to play EVE?
Does EVE still exist?

Why am I using a weave sliding artifact to ask these questions here instead of typing my questions to our lord and oracle who once promoted to commit no acts opposed to goodness?

Offline El_Gostro

• Antediluvian
  • Shifting
Re: How did the NWOD tank? Chronicle the fall to me, please...
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2019, 09:46:17 PM »
What happened with Promethean? Did they ever get to introduce robo waifus as a playable race? Did that break tue system?

Offline El_Gostro

• Antediluvian
  • Shifting
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2019, 12:39:59 PM »
No historians?

Really don't fancy digging through the Reddungeons for data. :suicide:

Offline Barabbah

• Majestic madness maker
  • Antediluvian
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2019, 01:16:48 PM »
Sorry, I don't know much of the new world of darkness....
"Some quotations," said Zellaby, "are greatly improved by lack of context."
― John Wyndham, The Midwich Cuckoos
"fuck the hole in the face"
― me

Offline Ghanima_Atreides

• Libera Me de Ignem
  • Methuselah
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2019, 05:49:46 PM »

Does EVE still exist?

This is the only thing I can answer: yes, it does still exist and it's gone F2P.
Strange is the night where black stars rise,
And strange moons circle through the skies,
But stranger still is
Lost Carcosa.

Offline Barabbah

• Majestic madness maker
  • Antediluvian
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2019, 08:34:54 PM »
I can make a few hypothesis.

Closing a consolidated and still active game to present a remake was the biggest hazard (despite the good conceived intentions to launch a fresh start on a game tangled with a long story of plots and subplots). But the rework of the clans (and maybe also the fleabag ecoterrotists, harry potter cosplayer and the rest of the wod universe, which I don't know how they where reworked) was the biggest hazzard. Keeping, merging and discarging the clans totally at random, other than adding two new still on the same vein of randomness, simply has not the slight sense.

If they had only implemented totally new clans, faces and stuff and leaving the old ones untouched.
If they made possible to mix thing from old to new while keeping both continuites totally separated.
If they didn't closed at all the old series (specially with a novel which is also the first book of its writer) but let it continue on less new releases.
If all of this was made, then it could have been possible to not flop.
― me

Offline Gurkhal

• Methuselah
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2019, 09:19:11 PM »
I can make a few hypothesis.

Closing a consolidated and still active game to present a remake was the biggest hazard (despite the good conceived intentions to launch a fresh start on a game tangled with a long story of plots and subplots). But the rework of the clans (and maybe also the fleabag ecoterrotists, harry potter cosplayer and the rest of the wod universe, which I don't know how they where reworked) was the biggest hazzard. Keeping, merging and discarging the clans totally at random, other than adding two new still on the same vein of randomness, simply has not the slight sense.

If they had only implemented totally new clans, faces and stuff and leaving the old ones untouched.
If they made possible to mix thing from old to new while keeping both continuites totally separated.
If they didn't closed at all the old series (specially with a novel which is also the first book of its writer) but let it continue on less new releases.
If all of this was made, then it could have been possible to not flop.

As someone who likes VtR and considers it to be, actually, a better game if not as attractive one than VtM I hope I can give another perspective by answering your post.

To start with I will say that in my very much personal opinion the CoD beats every gameline that the WoD hands down with only Vampire being in contest. If you want more details, please ask, but otherwise I will move on to Vampire.

1. To start with the clans, the thing is not that any random element was introduced, but that the clans were created specifically to be broad, not forced into stereotypes due to an abundance of clans with many overlapping themes and aspects.

In VtM we have like two major "leaders" vampires clans with Ventrue and Lasombra and then the Tzimisce also have some aspects in this club as well. Why would we need two clans to create leader, or lordly, vampires from? In VtR you have one such clan, the Ventrue (which I consider to be closer to the VtM Lasombra than Ventrue by the way) and from that we create all kinds of "leaders" Vampires that would previously have been spread out across the Ventrue, Lasombra and Tzimisce.

Same with shapeshifters, stealthy, monsterous and passionate/sensual vampires. They've each got one clan and we don't need to separate between nuances when picking a clan.

But its also very important to remember that Clan in VtM means more than Clan in VtR and does different things beyond the mechanics. In VtM Clans are very much your culture and many of your ideas, in VtR they are your background but don't present and inherent party line that the characters should follow.

2. As for mixing, there's even an official guide book for this, so that's been made.

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/86202/Vampire-Translation-Guide

3. Continuing a series which is a direct competitor to their new series seems like a really wierd decision. But lo and behold, this is effectively what has happened. VtM still gets new material, even if many of the fans hate the changes while entirely oblivious, or wilfully ignorant, to how much changed between the three "classical" editions of VtM before Gehenna. In fact I'd say that the changes in V5 are of a moderate character when looking at previous editions of VtM.

4. No, if all these things had been made the fans of VtM who hates VtR would just find new things to hate VtR for. When the hate is about something's existance its does not really matter what that thing does or does not, the hate will still flow.

I hope this can clear up some stuff but I'll be happy to coninue the debate.

Offline Barabbah

• Majestic madness maker
  • Antediluvian
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2019, 11:14:11 PM »
Thanks, we needed someone who actually knows what we are actually talking about XD ;)

Anyway:
1. I think it would have helped making new names for each clan. At most using the name for those bloodlines more resembling the classic clans, like it was done with others, to make this overhault more consistent and ready to show not only they are different but also the concept itself of clan is different.
2. I already knew about it, I was talking more on avoiding overlapping stuff with the same names
3. I meant to keep both present with obviously more space to the new one, to test this experiment and make the passage felt not so suddently.
4. I have to confess I've never did a PnP session of any of the two versions so I'm not qualified to judge any :P
― me