collapse

Author Topic: I found a group here in NYC to RP with!  (Read 6347 times)

Offline Nigama

• Dead
  • Antediluvian
Re: I found a group here in NYC to RP with!
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2012, 01:17:30 AM »
Soooo...  some updates:

The Mortal Game:

We had the last part of the adventure we were playing.  It was a short session, because we'd gotten pretty far the session before but it had gotten late.  And the bullets they were flying from the start.  Whereas our adventure started with us being very cautious, investigating every nook and cranny, it ended in an impatient firefight with three kidnappers and a ghost.  We got the best of the initial firefight and headed into the derelict farmhouse.  Player A lost some Morality for shooting a bleeding (but defenseless) kidnapper.  The other kidnapper was shot upstairs by the ringleader.  Player A then headed upstairs, where they got kicked back down the stairs.  Then the ringleader descended, I got tossed across the room by the ghost and then the all out firefight began between the three of us and this one guy and his ghost.  One the guy was almost finished the ghost turned on the ringleader and killed him.  We searched the house and found the person we were looking for inside an odd room.  Everything in it seemed to have been hand made with old materials, perhaps pre 20th century from a brief inspection.

Several weeks later, being briefed on another mission, things suddenly went wobbly and we found ourselves back in the room.  As we were searching the room and others gained their bearings, a wealthy artist was peering into a painting of the room.  Suddenly, our new party member was there in the room with us, giving us valuable clues.  After a bit, things went wobbly and we woke up where we'd left off.  My colleagues (including Player A) seemed to blow the incident off, so I wrote up a full report (we mostly all work in a shady business doing shady things) and tried contacting several others (including NPCs) who were also in the room.  Eventually, we all reconvene and decide to go check out two different leads in two groups.  Both groups go to separate galleries to view the paintings.  My character pulls out equity from his home to purchase the very painting the Artist was pulled into for 650k (with Resources 5) (he's becoming obsessed with it and the room already, even tho, nobody else including the ST knows that yet.  ST thinks it's a play to get the creator of the painting to contact him).  With the knowledge both groups gain, they decide to look up the Artist.  When they arrive at his house they find him passed out.  After breaking in and disabling security, they try to revive him.  As they do so, they realize they're in a room full of paintings.. paintings of a room.. and it all goes wobbly.

The Changeling Game:

So it feels like they're buying me off.  The power gamers and the ST.  :)  Maybe I'm just paranoid, but suddenly I'm getting tons of XP and all kinds of stuff I want.  But while it is nice, what I want is some cohesive story that lets me *express* my character.  ST still needs some work, but at least still a small number of people this week so it was good, also only two of the three power gamers showed up.  One of the players, despite showing up every time, barely ever steps into the spotlight and seems content to let others monopolize the play time. 

This session saw a little more get done in terms of actual  plot lines progressing, which I think some of which was glossed over a little too quickly but it was done in the name of getting us all together so I think it was generally okay given the group dynamics.  I won't go into all of it, like above, because we still really were doing our own things much of the time, but the ST knows he needs to work us back together and he's at least beginning to do so.  So far the power level of the game is starting about 75 XP above starting, at least (and at roughest estimation).

The main plot lines seem to be (in no particular order):
 -  Find out more about a member of the Freehold who is secretly murdering people
 -  Find out more about what seems to be a Fetch who seems to be haunted by her real Ghost and it has something to do with True Fae
 -  Pursue a relationship with some strange Changelings met while looking for Hedge Fruit in the local Hedge
 -  Help a Changeling in dealing with their Fetch (murder or bonding?  It can be so hard to decide.)
 -  Help a Changeling wanted by the Law (although they seem to have solved that in the short term by making the Law fall in love with them.)
 -  Bring a Changeling to justice who used one of the Motley members (who is the youngest of the group) on behalf of the Autumn King.

Nigama
Dogs in the Vineyard game tomorrow night
"You may not remember us, but we may be responsible for your lack of memory."

Offline Claudia Vonigner

• Antediluvian
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2012, 07:56:47 AM »
Interesting stuff.

*nods and waits for moaaar*

Offline Cahalith

• Ancillus
  • Easygoing Howler
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2012, 10:23:58 AM »
nWoD really shines when it comes to Mortal games and your game sure looks fun! Now... Changeling. You are a damn lucky bastard. No, really! I can't for the life of me convince the always-chaotic-evil-and-anyway-where-is-the-brothel group of miscreats I play with every week to give that game a chance and, to be honest, I shudder at the mere thought of them playing that game and having FUN.

I can't speak for your Changeling GM, but I'm also guilty of giving extra-XP and magical items to new guys even when we're starting a new chronicle or something. I've been at this for a long time now, and I like to tailor my campaigns to the specific tastes of my players, so there is always glorious combat against all odds for the munchkin, enough spotlight for the roleplayer to showcase all the quirks of his last character and so on. Do they want to rescue princesses and topple kingdoms or instead they prefer to be just peasants protecting their homes from the orc horde? Usually the new guy has no part in all this, I don't know how he plays, what are the things that he likes or dislikes, favourite RPGs, anything. So yeah, more XP and weapons is my way of acknowledging this and keep the player happy until I figure out what makes him tick.

You better keep updating this, my good sir. Also, you're in for a treat with Dogs in the Vineyard!
- Cahalith.

Break the glass of those street lamps. We must blind the thing before I begin.

Offline Nigama

• Dead
  • Antediluvian
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2012, 03:34:33 PM »
You better keep updating this, my good sir. Also, you're in for a treat with Dogs in the Vineyard!

Dogs in the Vineyard was a lot of fun, even if it was our first session and we probably spent more time making characters and figuring out how the systems worked and then getting used to it enough for it to come naturally than actually playing the game.  The guy running the game did a good job for his first time running a Dogs game... clearly he had a lot more meat planned but had to give us the bare bones version because we were running out of time. 

My character was Brother Thaddeus Smith, who came from a Strong Background.  His family were smiths by trade (hence the last name), and were so successful had also opened up a general goods store to help sell their wares and tools.  Being the fourth son and rather smaller than his brothers, he often spent more time running the store and talking to customers than banging on metal with a hammer.  Likewise, noticing his grand son's small size, Thaddeus' grandfather taught him how to be an excellent marksman.  Being from a wealthy family he had a fine coat and a little bit of arrogance.  Thaddeus is very devout, and can't stand vices (alcohol, coffee, etc) or even idle vices (playing cards, music other than spiritual hymns).

His Initiation was "I hope I learn humility in the face of mockery" and he had to face down a childhood friend who was poor that had been kicked out of the Dogs before his training was finished.  The brunt of it was, "You only made it through training because your family is rich and influential."  I tacitly threatened to use my gun on him by fingering it idly, but in the end I realized I either had to take the humiliation and walk away or start a fist/gun fight in the middle of a market to shut him up.  In the end, I walked away.

The town was called Morgan's Haven and was run by the founder's two sons, Ephraim and Manasseh.  Ephraim was in charge of the town's small water supply and Manasseh was the mayor of the town.  Turns out both brothers were heavily competing against each other in lifestyle and in doing so were slowly bleeding the townspeople dry from taxes on the water and goods in town.  Both were paying off groups of thugs to be their posses. 

We figured out the source of the Pride pretty quickly, but couldn't really get the details of which brother was most at fault (or if we should blame both).  Early on, as we were riding into the town after meeting the first brother, Ephraim, a villager threw a rock and hit Ephraim in the head.  We chased him down and he claimed Ephraim was charging too much for the water.  Ephraim, who was mostly okay, argued his side and since nobody was too hurt, we let the guy go after getting his info and the location of his father's house.  Things were relatively reserved until one of the groups of thugs decided to try and intimidate us out of town.  I raised my large gun and asked him if he commanded the King of Life or if the King of Life commanded him!  He blasphemed, then threatened violence, so we shot (and killed) him.  The other thugs didn't give us any more trouble, in fact they pointed us to the sheriff who was employed by Manasseh.  We had barely started talking to the sheriff when he pulled his revolver on us and tried to kill us.  One of our members (four of us total) got hit pretty badly but the rest of us destroyed the sheriff.  While the others patched up our friend, I questioned the sheriff, took his confession and then gave him his last rites.  As we went searching for the brothers a commotion was happening in town and so we followed the townspeople to the source, which turned out to be the water well.  It had exploded and there was tons and tons of water!  There was supposed to be very low reserves, hence the reason for Ephraim charging money for the water.  We tried to take both into custody, but both resisted and unfortunately Manasseh pulled a gun (during the struggles I'd simply stayed on my horse as did the injured party member, with my gun aimed on the guy who eventually pulled the gun) and so I shot him as soon as he had it out and that pretty much ended the fight.  We took Ephraim to the church where we also confronted the Steward (I had learned from the sheriff that the Steward was also on Manasseh's payroll).  So we stripped Ephraim of most of his wealth and put it in the town treasury.  We left Ephraim free so that he could care for his elderly father, but we forbid that he be allowed to take any public office before we had returned to check up on the town.  We sent to Bridal Falls City for a new Steward and sent the old Steward to BFC to face Judgement.  Then, one party member had an epiphany about who should run the town.  He decided that the young man who had thrown the stone at Ephraim had begun our journey that had led to the Truth, and so we made him the new Mayor of the town and warned him to learn a lesson from what he had just seen and not make the same mistakes.  We promised we'd be back within one year to check on the town.  And then we headed off into the sunset, towards Salt Lake City.

Nigama
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 03:41:47 PM by Nigama »

Offline Cahalith

• Ancillus
  • Easygoing Howler
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2012, 03:22:23 AM »
Definitely, mormon gunslinger paladins best paladins. It's a shame I can't run games like those for my players, so I'll admit I'm a little bit jealous! Anyway, I'm really enjoying this thread, Nigama, between the MMO and Bloodlines it's really easy to forget that this whole thing we are doing here is all about good ol' tabletop RPGs. So you better keep posting follow-ups or else, you heard me?

Also, how did you like the nWoD system? Damn, even when I run some oWoD game I still use the "1 Willpower point = +3 dice" rule instead of the original one!
- Cahalith.

Offline Nigama

• Dead
  • Antediluvian
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2012, 08:48:17 AM »
Also, how did you like the nWoD system? Damn, even when I run some oWoD game I still use the "1 Willpower point = +3 dice" rule instead of the original one!

I'm enjoying it.  There's def a much bigger focus on situational/item modifiers than in OWoD.  I know combat's faster in NWoD, but I really feel like all the power is in the hands of the "DO-er," the person acting.  I liked in OWoD that as a defender I had more control over not getting hit.  A little bit more rolling, but I think worth it.  In Changeling, most of what I dislike is thematic - namely the references to "souls" and the Roman Catholic "virtues" and "vices" which have no place in a pagan game.  White Wolf used to take pride in the fact that their games were based on real myths and legends, but they lost that in their desire to create super compatibility between the game lines.  The sad thing is all it would take is renaming them with similar pagan concepts which I'm sure already exist. 

So yeah.. I'm having fun with the new rules.  But, I'd note, I also have fun with the old rules.  :cometome:  So then it really all becomes about theme and the details of the game itself, and in that respect I tend to like OWoD much better with the exception of C:tD/C:tL.  In C:tD something always felt missing, it had no drive.  While with C:tL I've already got a list of unique characters I'm wanting to play besides the one I'm playing.  I really like my character now, but I'd love to play a Brewer or an Ice Elemental with really high Intimidate and that's just off the top of my head.  There's so many possibilities.

Now that I've played Dogs in the Vineyard, the game that I really wanna play that I haven't is Eclipse Phase.  I may have to run it, though, if I want to experience it.

Nigama

Offline Cahalith

• Ancillus
  • Easygoing Howler
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2012, 03:31:02 PM »
I wouldn't call Changeling a "pagan game" (vampires are also pretty "pagan" creatures, don't forget that), but I do agree with you that the Vices and Virtues mechanics have distinctly judeo-christian flavor which may result a little odd when used in some of the templates. Thing is, in my opinion, Vices and Virtues offer more versatility for creating PCs (gluttony can mean so many things!) and they add another layer of moral conflict on top of Humanity/Harmony/Wisdom/Whatever. It really doesn't matter if you call them sins or vices, what they represent are the urges and dark passions of your character. It's weird at first, but they make for a very elegant mechanic, I assure you.

In nWoD your Defense automatically takes dice from your enemy's pool and you can always choose to defend yourself that turn. The only difference is that in the oWoD you had to roll Stamina and see how much damage you absorbed, but the choices are pretty much the same as before. Or so I remember anyway!

In C:tD something always felt missing, it had no drive.
This has to be heresy! Well, liking the old rules is pretty much heretic as well, but as a C:tD fantard I have to say Changeling is one of the most misunderstood games from the oWoD! You were the last figments of wonder and dread in a world that no longer needed them. You had to watch how your loved ones, one by one, were claimed by the Banality, forgetting who they were, the adventures they had with you, everything. Wraith was depressing as fuck, but at least it didn't try to sugarcoat it and then give you a sucker punch.

Said that, yep, C:tL is a much better game.

To me Eclipse Phase is the Cyberpunk 2020 of the new century, you have mind Twitter, IAs in your brain, transhumans/posthumans walking around, I love the setting, I really do. The system... well, it's less than stellar, but whatever, it's one of the best new RPGs out there and it needs all the support it can get (if some of you guys are curious about this one, the corebook is free to download!). Not that I'll be able to run it for my D&D-loving group or anything. :razz:
- Cahalith.