collapse

Author Topic: New Game?  (Read 8639 times)

Offline Radical21

• Antediluvian
Re: New Game?
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2013, 08:01:05 PM »
I think I will also go for that option but since he is kindred it is more likely that my character got embraced outside of japan and shipped in a cargo container or something so if that is ok I will that?

Offline Nigama

• Dead
  • Antediluvian
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2013, 11:23:45 PM »
Would an American of Japanese descent who was turned while visiting relatives in Tokyo be acceptable?  This character would have limited knowledge of Japanese culture outside of the acculturated American version he or she is used to.  However, the character still appears Japanese and may even speak some of the language, albeit with an accent and limited vocabulary.

Yup.  That sounds great.

I think I will also go for that option but since he is kindred it is more likely that my character got embraced outside of japan and shipped in a cargo container or something so if that is ok I will that?

Works for me.  Vampire Shipping Co. LLC,  :haw:

Nigama
EDIT:  Any thoughts on the name?  I wanna start getting the actual forum areas and such setup this coming week.  Tokyo by Night?  Kuei-jin of the West?  A different idea?  I'd prolly pick Tokyo by Night for simplicity's sake, if left to my own devices, but it does lack originality.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2013, 11:29:21 PM by Nigama »
"You may not remember us, but we may be responsible for your lack of memory."

Offline Radical21

• Antediluvian
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2013, 12:35:39 AM »
In the end you'll come up with a name like Canadian motorcycle assassin club by night... trust me, its better to leave naming be and just go with what we know:

Japanese-american Kindred invading Tokyo in a yet unreasonable attempt to reclaim a country they know little about.
so from that we get: bloodsucker reclamation act? no, that still sounds kind of stupid
better go with tokyo by night

sigh they might as well go into some fictional dark ages pseudo realistic setting like westeros without the magic

« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 12:49:56 AM by Radical21 »

Offline Nigama

• Dead
  • Antediluvian
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2013, 01:20:57 AM »
Alright, I've got Rad's character sheet and background.

How's everyone else coming along?

Nigama

Offline Rick Gentle

• Gangrel Playboy
  • Antediluvian
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2013, 07:02:27 AM »
I'm still pretty stuck on anything after "Brujah"... Brujah. Male. Probably swiffy black hair. I kinda want to make him an anime freak - I mean, anime fan - but that doesn't have much to do with him being a vampire... It's not "out-there" enough for him to be Embraced for being a "rebel"... I think I'm going to have to look into Japanese underground crime rings or something to get inspiration. That and Japanese etiquette.

Can't I just change him to a Nossie?   >.>

Ooo! Maybe Ventrue! Ventrue might actually work better... Can't see him as Toreador...

EDIT
Okay, so I've got a couple basics down. Need some help brainstorming names; I usually go with what sounds good over what's actually realistic, so so far I have "Toyo Onkai" or "Eichiro 'Eric' Omishuta".

EDIT EDIT
Oops. Make that "Onkai Toyo" or "Omishuta Eichiro". Or another one my friend gave me, "Takamura Eichiro".
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 07:13:25 AM by Rick Gentle »
Remember: It's not the size of your fangs that matters; it's what you stick them in.

Offline Radical21

• Antediluvian
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2013, 07:28:54 AM »
If you must know I also created a Brujah Half-Japanese-American...

Writing the background started out as a silly idea to make a derivative of the backgrounds of two Manga characters : Uchiha Sasuke( From a Shounen Manga called Naruto) and Korono Kei (From a Seinin Manga called Gantz) , I ended up borrowing more elements from the latter and when writing him as a mixed heritage character growing up in NYC so I ended up taking the story of the background to a somewhat different direction.
And yeah I know its kind of corny to use other writers characters as a starting point, I don't do that usually but I wasn't all that serious while writing that background because I wanted to create a character that I can view as a 'red shirt' and fits in with Japan's culture on some extreme level.

Hope this helps inspire you to find a background for your character.

Anyway some reading materials:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yakuza
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_American
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_American_internment
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mangaka
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Otaku
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_subculture

Hope these Wikipedia entries help. Otaku and Japanese Subculture pertain only to Japan AFAIK so if you are writing a character that grew up elsewhere you can skip these
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 07:31:02 AM by Radical21 »

Offline Friktion

• Methuselah
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2013, 03:52:51 PM »
You should have mine by the end of the day.  I should make a Brujah too, then the campaign can be called "Frenzied bunch of assholes this side of the pond."  :smile:

Offline Rick Gentle

• Gangrel Playboy
  • Antediluvian
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2013, 09:11:39 PM »
Are we rugby fans?
Remember: It's not the size of your fangs that matters; it's what you stick them in.

Offline Nigama

• Dead
  • Antediluvian
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2013, 04:00:01 AM »
Are we rugby fans?

Heh... I dunno... but it looks like it's gone from a Camarilla takeover of Tokyo to a Brujah takeover of Tokyo!  Yay!  Who needs the other 6 Clans, anyway?  They're just filler.

Nigama

Offline Nigama

• Dead
  • Antediluvian
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2015, 05:25:51 AM »
Anyone want to join a game? You could take over a Toreador or Tremere, or create your own Nossie, Ventrue, or Malk. Although you should prepare to play solo unless you arrange a posting schedule with another player.

Offline Gurkhal

• Methuselah
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2016, 08:02:26 AM »
I would have loved to join but since I am unemployed at this time  :cry: I'm a bit hesitant to put out some 30 dollars for the 20th version of the game.

EDITED: Or to put another question, what kind of game is it supposed to be? Are we talking about tight teamwork or every Cainite for itself? Because I could be interested if I know that if I make a dumb decision, it won't ruin the game for everyone.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 08:06:00 AM by Gurkhal »

Offline Nigama

• Dead
  • Antediluvian
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2016, 01:08:46 PM »
I would have loved to join but since I am unemployed at this time  :cry: I'm a bit hesitant to put out some 30 dollars for the 20th version of the game.

EDITED: Or to put another question, what kind of game is it supposed to be? Are we talking about tight teamwork or every Cainite for itself? Because I could be interested if I know that if I make a dumb decision, it won't ruin the game for everyone.

Pretty much everyone has dropped out from playing, so it'd be more like every Cainite for himself. I recently made a post because I'm thinking of writing a story from the perspective of the Nosferatu candidate. You are certainly welcome to make a character, tho, if you'd like to play. It looks like the online reference material we had linked was taken down, so you will need a copy of V20 handy, unless I can find another site with the basics.

Offline Radical21

• Antediluvian
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2016, 01:45:41 PM »
The problem with forum games is the pace always ,  makes its hard to keep at it.  Though I discovered that Tabletop doesn't really do it for me either usually and I prefer the live online play that got me into it in the first place, funny isn't it?

Offline Gurkhal

• Methuselah
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2016, 06:35:00 PM »

Pretty much everyone has dropped out from playing, so it'd be more like every Cainite for himself. I recently made a post because I'm thinking of writing a story from the perspective of the Nosferatu candidate. You are certainly welcome to make a character, tho, if you'd like to play. It looks like the online reference material we had linked was taken down, so you will need a copy of V20 handy, unless I can find another site with the basics.

Sad to hear about people dropping out but I've got some experience with PbP and stuff like this is to expect.

So I'll try and frame my question like this. If I join, do you think that you will keep this going? If this game has some staying power with a committed GM, then I'm ready to invest some 40 dollars in a v20 edition PDF on DriveThrueRPG, because while I am not unemployed, I am far from broke and I think that I can survive this investment.

And the premise of the game intrigues me and I wouldn't mind give it a try.

The problem with forum games is the pace always ,  makes its hard to keep at it.  Though I discovered that Tabletop doesn't really do it for me either usually and I prefer the live online play that got me into it in the first place, funny isn't it?

I agree with pace, but like you said, its something of the PbP's nature in that one slow player can basically hold down everyone else.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 06:50:22 PM by Gurkhal »

Offline Nigama

• Dead
  • Antediluvian
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2016, 11:27:36 PM »
So I'll try and frame my question like this. If I join, do you think that you will keep this going? If this game has some staying power with a committed GM, then I'm ready to invest some 40 dollars in a v20 edition PDF on DriveThrueRPG, because while I am not unemployed, I am far from broke and I think that I can survive this investment.

And the premise of the game intrigues me and I wouldn't mind give it a try.

The only reason I stopped posting was because the players didn't post and I had nothing to respond to. Which is to say, that yeah, I'd be happy to have you playing! In full fairness I should admit that one of the stoppages in our game was my fault - my hard drive died and it took me a minute to get a new one installed and upgraded with a new OS. I don't foresee that happening again, but hey, full disclosure. Also, July/August I work 6 days a week so the posting may slow a bit during those months. Otherwise, I'll let you know if I'm planning a vacation.

As for buying the book, you don't have to. I could give you the info you need for character creation and you could save the cash instead of buying the book... or at least waiting until your finances are better. Lemme know and I can shoot you that info through PM so as not to step on Paradox's legal eagles.