collapse

Author Topic: Family Business  (Read 12550 times)

Offline [archive] Sodom40280831

• Neonate
Re: Family Business
« Reply #120 on: May 18, 2006, 07:36:00 AM »
                “Seriously dude, you should get like, an Oscar or something for that shit back there man!â€?

Ã¢â‚¬Å“Ah…t’ was nothing my dear boy.â€?

Hives was still praising Nail on his performance at the Oakes house while they were walking through the sewers on their way to Bishop. The Brujah coming along had been an extraordinary stroke of luck and even Nail himself could hardly believe how easy it had been. In fact it had been so easy it was starting to worry Nail, not that he thought it was a set-up or anything, it was just that usually when everything went so well it would mean that something equally horrible would come along and…compensate if you will. But for now Nail decided to keep his spirits up.

Ã¢â‚¬Å“That trash deserved every bit of that. Thinks he can just walk in on us and demand whatever he wants like we’re some kind of freakin’ help-service.â€?

Ã¢â‚¬Å“Y’know Hives, that is sort of our job in the Camarilla.â€?

Ã¢â‚¬Å“Well…yeah…but still…some freakin’ respect every now and then isn’t that much to ask, is it?â€?

Ã¢â‚¬Å“Heh…I hear you man. Me…I am totally lovin’ this. Tops at the top, plebs at the bottom and us in the middle leeching off both of them. Wait a sec…I think this is it, Bishop’s hill 091. This is my stop.â€?

Ã¢â‚¬Å“Knock ‘em dead man…ugh….even deader I mean.â€?

Ã¢â‚¬Å“Will do.â€? Nail said as he lifted the manhole and crawled out of the sewers and into the mansion’s courtyard. From the cars and limousines parked everywhere it seemed like the party was already getting started. Now…how to enter? Using the mask of a thousand faces would seem rather useless as about a third of the people at the party would be auspex-users. But simply going in was no fun at all. Best to stick to the shadows. And as he slowly went for the entrance, Nail became an unseen presence. He may have not been able to hide from everyone at the party but there was always the chance of having a good laugh by standing right next to a fledgeling and momentarily revealing yourself, if only for a split-second.  

Ã¢â‚¬Å“Party on.â€? He mumbled to himself.

-----signature-----
           I'm so serious it's comical!    

Offline [archive] Year_of_the_Scarab

• Methuselah
« Reply #121 on: May 21, 2006, 07:41:00 AM »
                Watching from the upper floor balcony she had an almost unobstructed view of the whole east ballroom, where most of the Kindred gathered so far. One unfamiliar face caught her eye, a young European looking thing, not even twenty by the looks... were looks to be believed when dealing with Kindred. For a second, a wicked thought crossed her mind… the Nosferatu had a peculiar sense of humor Could it...? No. There. The girl forgotten, Sorana focused on an empty space in the sparse crowd, that she must've not registered right away. It wasn't that there was anything drawing attention to it, the exact opposite in fact – the first instinct when looking up on it was to look away, that there was nothing to be seen. The compulsion was so strong that Kindred of a lesser will than hers would have overlooked it, never noticing. Vampire and servant alike moved out of its way seemingly of their own accord as it glided through the large room. Sorana may not have had some Kindred's augmented senses, but she was a Childe of Eric Rocher, and mind tricks she knew in and out. It wasn't that her eyes couldn't see the Nosferatu; it was that her mind was being told they couldn’t. After a brief exchange with one of Caliori's attendants, whom the place was literally crawling with, she made her way down to the ballroom. The Kine had been told to wait for the Tremere's arrival after which to politely ask her and the Malkavian to meet her upstairs. The Nosferatu, however, exceeded the capabilities of mortal servants.

Casually, she walked towards one of the private sections and halted by a rather fierce looking Ryu, a Japanese Dragon, sculpture, one of several placed in the ballroom. As far as she knew, the Ryu were supposed to be known for having a fondness for treasure and secrets. How prophetic of Caliori to choose them. Was it mere coincidence that the Nosferatu chose this place as an observation point? Birds of a feather will flock together, after all. After a moment's consideration, not turning away from the sculpture, she spoke

"Mr..." and stopped herself from using the creature's real name; the so called Keepers of Secrets valued their privacy, and she would extend the courtesy of playing by their rules; even if he probably knew that she knew his name, there was a sort of decorum here. By that logic, Sorana would've rather waited for the Nosferatu to seek her out, but they didn't have that sort of time at their disposal here. "...Nail?" she finished.                        

• Neonate
« Reply #122 on: May 21, 2006, 03:45:00 PM »
                “Well now…â€? Nail said as he became more visible to the naked eye. Not much point in being hidden when you’re having a conversation.

Ã¢â‚¬Å“That’s a bloody good pair of eyes you’ve got on you, miss Sorana. Or am I just losing my touch?â€?

-----signature-----

Offline [archive] Killer39787726

• Ancillus
« Reply #123 on: May 21, 2006, 03:59:00 PM »
                I spend some time watching the guests before entering. The place was largely decorated along an oriental pattern. Large statues here and there with their hidden meanings unknown to me.

Do I get an overpriced drink to go with the faggy atmosphere?

The area reserved for the party consisted mostly of a large room, split in several mid-sections by large glass panels allowing more private meetings. Don’t underestimate the value of Doing Nothing, of just going along, listening to all the things you can’t hear, and not bothering. Man is the only animal that can remain on friendly terms with the victims he intends to eat until he eats them.

It would be hard for someone to sneak around; it was a big plus and made me relax a bit. In an emergency, one probably could blast his way right through the glass panels. Even those obfuscating nossies wouldn’t go too far considering the vast discipline mix in the place.

Security cams along with dozens of hired security guards were spread across the place in hand picked advantage points from where you could see almost the entire section. Caliori I had failed yet to locate.

The sewer rat hadn’t given me a very through description of his Marie, but she wasn’t hard to find. Just look for those big rookie eyes, looking at anything around her with true amazement.

If you think nothing can get to you, you’re lying to yourself. At best you’re dead. A lightning bolt can reanimate you without a warning. The innocent look on her eyes reminded me of my wife, maybe it was just the alcohol.

Your past has a way of sneaking up on you. You'll hear broken echoes of it everywhere, like a bad replay. You'll get mad at everyone for reminding you about it, even if it's all in your head.

Sometimes too much drink is not enough.

Innocence with fangs and a predatory instinct.
 I walked up to her.  Standing just a few steps away, I played it as business as usual.

Ã¢â‚¬Å“You Marie?â€?

-----signature-----
           Cant we all just get along?...No? Ok...then i will just rip your head off.    

• Methuselah
« Reply #124 on: May 21, 2006, 04:25:00 PM »
                "Hardly." she laughed, steeling herself for facing the Nosferatu as she turned away from the sculpture. You could see a dozen of them and still be caught unprepared by the sight of the next one. She turned...

Oh. Well. At least he wore a tie.

"I've had the advantage of being prepared, let's say." Sorana said with a slight nod "Had you been really trying, I'm sure we wouldn't be speaking now." the Nosferatu grinned with a halfhearted shrug; he didn't seem interested in pleasantries, but made a point of playing along; Good, not a complete boor at least. "Now, we will be meeting Kindred who are to accompany us in just a little while, but I've taken the liberty of speaking to you privately first." she fell silent for a moment, apparently waiting for someone within earshot to move away.

"The venture we're to undertake is a delicate one, but our time is limited so allow me to be blunt," she picked up "we know that there's an ulterior motive for your involvement in this, as well as that it may compromise the delegation." she lied without batting an eyelash; they, or more precisely Rocher and Julian, had guessed as much about the Nosferatu, but she was shooting in the dark here a little "And that is your business entirely. But I need to know, and I would ask you to be just as blunt, if we should be prepared for your sudden absence... or other unscheduled developments. I feel I can be frank here, since in the end our higher-ups do have the Camarilla's best interest in mind."

Whatever could be said about the direct approach, it certainly was unpretentious.                        

Offline [archive] Bloodreaper33413943

• Fledgling
« Reply #125 on: May 22, 2006, 10:17:00 PM »
                Marie hadn't expected to be adressed by name, especially since Neil and Skull were the only other vampires she had encountered since her sire.  She was torn between relief at not having to introduce herself and paranoia.  Neil certainly hadn't mentioned telling any of his friends about her.

After a minute of contemplation, she held out her hand.  "Yes, I am Marie," she said, emphasising her accent, "Marie Bedau".                        

-----signature-----
           When the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box    

• Ancillus
« Reply #126 on: May 22, 2006, 11:11:00 PM »
                Right there I hated her. For remembering me of my wife. For the innocence on her eyes.

Ã¢â‚¬Å“Put that hand down rookie. This isn’t first time introductions, apparently we go back a whileâ€?

I glance around, checking if there isn’t anyone in hearing range, at least no one I could see.

All of a sudden it read like a crackpot conspiracy theory. And here was I thinking conspiracy theories had gotten out of style. She probably didn’t even know who she was working for. As much as I hated myself, I felt sorry for the girl.

Ã¢â‚¬Å“Neil sent me. Let’s get ours stories straight. I found you and taught you the rules, now I’m turning you over to Caliori. That ra…uh…Neil told you the rules I hope?â€?

-----signature-----

• Fledgling
« Reply #127 on: May 23, 2006, 12:30:00 AM »
                Marie quickly put her hand down.  Wonderful, only two minutes and she had already managed to blunder up with the first kindred she spoke to.  She quickly tried to remember what Neil had told her about kindred gatherings.  "Um... be polite, speak when spoken to and suck up to the prince as much as possible."

She then stepped closer and said softly, "Well, if we are supposed to be old friends, it would certainly help to know your name, and your.... clan.  Are you Toreador?  The only thing I know about my... sire, is that she was a Toreador."                        

-----signature-----

• Ancillus
« Reply #128 on: May 23, 2006, 02:30:00 AM »
                “Did they actually teach you anything rookie? Torrie…No, I’m brujah. And the name is Kravenâ€?

My art inclinations fall more into the abstract category.

I raise an eyebrow while looking to her. I wasn’t expecting an inquiry, but it felt better to go straight to the point, no lies.

“And if you’re going to say to Caliori that we are good pals, you must know what kind of guy I am. And I just happen to be the worst stone-cold killer this side of hell. Anything else?â€?

I knew I was being blunt. But if she was to mention me to the primogen, she shouldn’t believe I was the nice, caring kind of guy.

-----signature-----

• Neonate
« Reply #129 on: May 23, 2006, 06:12:00 AM »
                Well if it was blunt she wanted, then blunt was what she would get.

Ã¢â‚¬Å“Look I’ll be honest with you. I’m not about to take a bullet for the Camarilla or anything but I do want the team I’m playing on to win, so I will help out as best as I can. I’m not the backstabbing type. I’ll try to go about my business without endangering our venture.â€?

Nail paused for a moment and looked across the room to see if everyone who was supposed to be present was indeed present. And wouldn’t you know it, they were a little hard to make out in the distance but it was unmistakably them. Mr. Brujah hotshot had kept his end of the bargain. Nail couldn’t resist uttering a short triumphant “Yes!â€?, although it sounded more like a hissing sound. He quickly turned back to Sorana.

Apparently everything was going according to plan, now he just hoped things would stay that way.

-----signature-----

Offline [archive] Skinweaver

• Antediluvian
« Reply #130 on: May 23, 2006, 11:18:00 AM »
                A practical wardrobe. Supposedly, Einstein had used the same pattern.
 The same simple outfit repeated again and again to avoid having to bother with the vanity of a varied dresscode.
 However, some events like this one required a certain class that just couldn’t be found in a simple coat.
 She hadn’t used it in some time now but it was there, stuffed in a box next to an assortment of beakers and old samples.
 She pulled it out of the box and shook it to get rid of the worst wrinkles. It was slightly out of date, being from the mid nineties but fashion was really more of a Toreador concern.
 A Toreador would have left less to the imagination as well...

With some treatment, the dress became presentable enough and even though the cold outside was hardly a concern for a dead body, people wouldn’t really accept the sight of formal wear in subzero temperatures. Rebecka sighed again and pulled the thicker winter coat over the dress, looked at her watch and left the room.

The hallway was silent as always with the faint rasping of the fellow clanmates working behind closed doors.
 Organised as always with that special feeling of tranquillity.
 She barely even heared the steps closing up behind her.
 A hand on her shoulder, causing her to turn around in surprise.

A moment later she was headed toward the monitor room. Supposedly, she was needed there by request of her superiors. Wonderful... she would be even more late...

• Fledgling
« Reply #131 on: May 24, 2006, 07:20:00 PM »
                She thought back to the man in the alley, how she had ripped through the soft flesh of his throat like an animal even as he begged for his life.  And as she thought back on that night, a small presence at the back of her mind purred in satisfaction.  When she had time to ponder, she wondered if that presence had come with this condition, or mearly freed by it.

"Stone cold killer," she murmurred, "isn't that what we all are in the end?"

Realizing that this was a bad time for introspection, she shook the troubling thoughts away like a shawl.  "Well, shall we make introductions then?"                        

-----signature-----

• Ancillus
« Reply #132 on: May 25, 2006, 12:28:00 AM »
                "Stone cold killer," she murmured, "isn't that what we all are in the end?"

If you’re strong enough.

Ã¢â‚¬Å“I don’t know what the deal with Neil is, but don’t try anything stupid. I will be watching youâ€? My voice turns into hushed words while I turn away, it was a relief not having to answer any more questions to those big eyes.

I had distinguished two familiar shapes across the glass in opposite directions. One was fairly distant, apparently looking at us with interest, there was the deformed bastard himself.
 I turned in the direction of the other blurred form. I forced my mind to focus on Caliori’s elegant form as she walked.

Ã¢â‚¬Å“I had a feeling you would be dying to meet herâ€?

Time to play Bogart.

-----signature-----

Offline [archive] Moonshadow70421598

• Fledgling
« Reply #133 on: May 25, 2006, 09:54:00 PM »
                Jackson sat in the dark corner of the strip joint he’d  been frequenting  with his arm around a passed out stripper he had fed on. The intimate setting made for easy pray and it sure beat feeding on bums, not to mention he hated feeding on men, it was just a little to gay for his taste. It was getting late, by mortal standards and he knew last call was coming soon, he shook the girl gently.

“wake upâ€?

She moaned as she woke, and began collecting herself as she realized she’d been sleeping on the job.

Ã¢â‚¬Å“I gotta get back to work hunâ€? kissing him on the cheek before slinking off into the smokey haze of the bar. His thoughts where on his money, his funds where running low, and he knew it was an issue he’d need to address soon. He gave the door man a nod as he headed out the exit, he was deathly afraid of Jackson, the wanna be biker didn’t even bother asking for the cover charge anymore. As he approached his car he began to dread the rest of the evening, more often than not he ended up just driving around, which he did enjoy but having decided to leave his bike back at the farm kind of spoiled it for him.                        

-----signature-----

• Methuselah
« Reply #134 on: May 28, 2006, 06:45:00 PM »
                Marinard Chantry

"Adeptus?" Rebecka stood in the door to the darkened room, her own shadow cast by the lights in the hallway stretching halfway across the floor, almost reaching the desk behind which two Kindred were staring at a large monitor motionlessly

"Ah, there you are." Vielacados looked up at her distractedly from where he was leaning against the desk, and then at the ceiling "Lights." the room was immediately illuminated by a pale glow "Please come in."

As she did so, she nodded a brief greeting to Cole, the other Kindred hunched over the monitor. The younger Tremere returned it and promptly excused himself, leaving her and Vielacados alone. The Adept waited until the door closed behind Cole, then turned the monitor to face Rebecka. The screen was showing what she guessed to be security footage from the chantry, currently the paused video was focused on one of the novices

"James Albert, apprentice of second circle, in his seventh year of chantry service," Vielacados provided "dead as of 10:40 PM tonight."

Rebecka's eyes drifted to the monitor for a moment then back to the Adept "How?"

"By a collaborative effort of the security grid and myself." he replied. The brief alarm from before sprang to her mind and she mentioned it, pointing her thumb over her shoulder, presumably indicating 'before'

"The unsanctioned rite, yes." Vielacados said, turning the monitor back to its original position. Well, Rebecka's eyebrows rose, the rules were clear about wayward magics, but an outright destruction seemed a harsh punishment for some overzealousness. What in hell did he do to deserve this anyway?

"What he did," the Adept said with a slight scowl, she hadn't realized she said the question out loud "was severely compromise chantry security, or at least attempt such a thing. We have reasons to believe his intentions were to, for lack of a better term, temporarily 'blind' us to thaumaturgical proceedings within the city. And with the Justicar's presence, well, this could've had catastrophic repercussions."

"We don't have all the details yet," he replied to her unvoiced question "Those will have to wait for the Regentia's return. In the meantime, we do believe a blood bond has been placed on him, and one potent enough to force this suicidal attempt. This is speculation though... At any rate, the wards intercepted it harmlessly, even if the backlash has reached some of the Blood residing in the building at the time." he gave her a meaningful look. Ah, so that's where the bleeding came from, she thought. Then another, slightly alarming thought crossed her mind. She hadn't told anyone about waking up hurt... Vielacados, meanwhile, continued "This is to be kept between us until the investigation is done with. The reason I'm telling you this, Novicia, is as you may have guessed, the 'expedition' you are taking part in tonight. Now, I'm not saying Clan Giovanni has had anything to do with this, of course..."

"Of course." she confirmed the absolute and utter lack of accusation in the Adept's news solemnly

"...But it warrants cautiousness. You will have contact with both the Giovanni and Kindred of Cawford. While we will be perusing other sources as well, it would make sense to keep your eyes open for details. Again, we aren't talking about spying on the Kindred accompanying you, of course..."

"Of course." Rebecka suppressed a knowing smirk, and Vielacados picked up. During the Regentia's absence, he was the acting head of the chantry... by custom, rather than protocol. Would it come to questioning actual orders, suggestions made by the Adept could only be seen as precisely that – suggestions. Her actions, should they be questioned as well, would be her own. The responsibility likewise. This would prove to be an interesting evening, this much Rebecka could tell already.

Half an hour and a new pair of shades later, she was standing in the mansion's courtyard, straightening her coat.

Bishop's Hill 091

Well, the Nosferatu were tightlipped as a clan, and this one was being no exception. Still, this was probably the most sincere answer she would get out of him, and she didn't actually expect to get any details on his task, so having confirmed that there actually was one, she didn't further press the issue. She asked a few inconsequential questions, he gave a few inconsequential answers and vice versa. A few minutes passed and she noticed one of the attendants motioning to get her attention.

"Ah. It appears we can begin." the Ventrue said, nodding to someone over Nail's shoulder. Soon after, he followed her out of the ballroom and up the large open staircase. The music from downstairs became barely audible as they walked to what he guessed to be the west wing of the manor. A guard waited next to a heavy set of oak doors, leaning against the wall. Upon noticing the Kindred walking down the hall he straightened up and opened the door for them. The room was small by the building's standards, but there were whole apartments in Redbrock that didn't have half the space. A helicopter could probably fly through the large windows with little effort.

"Cozy." Nail said ironically after following Sorana inside. Polished oak floors, a large oak table in the middle of the room, oak armchairs... he eyed the upholstery curiously, half expecting it to be made of some sort of oak cushion-tree...

Downstairs

Making their way to the Primogen had taken a while because of both the panels and the slowly growing crowd of Kindred and servant. When they finally reached her, she was talking to someone important, judging by the wide circle of private space everyone was giving them. Jake didn't know who the guy was, nor did he care to find out at the moment. He halted the Toreador in her tracks and shook his head, indicating for her to wait. Getting into someone's business was what got him into all of this, and he didn't even know yet if he wanted to remain a part of it

"Um, what...?" the girl said in a hushed voice

"We wait." Jake replied, leaning against a pillar next to him. For a moment he wondered if it would be considered bad taste to smoke in here, and came to the conclusion that it wasn't quite worth getting his hand chopped off in the end. The Lick talking to Caliori could've been his clanmate; he certainly looked the part at least. Tough-guy leather jackets and reinforced boots were largely long since out of mainstream style among the Kine, but most Kindred were always at least a few years behind, and few of them cared. Naturally, Toreador were a different breed. Caliori was sporting something oriental looking of course, as the theme of the evening was, hair pinned up with long, black and not exactly harmless-looking, pins. Theoretically, Kindred were above such mundane things as looks and charms. In practice, the Lick she was talking to didn't have a chance. You could tell with the really old ones, Jake knew, that they had centuries of unlife behind them. Still, as old and cunning as the Lick may have been, the Toreador was clearly out of his league. A smile here, a pat on the arm there... Jake half-expected him to start drooling any moment.
 Turning away, he caught another familiar face out of the corner of his eye. Hmm. Who was...? Oh, right. The Malk from last night. He didn't recognize him right away with the businessman look he was sporting tonight. One of the lackeys approached the Malkavian and after a brief exchange the vampire followed him out of the main room. Jake could've sworn the Malk looked somehow crazier tonight, despite the suit and tie shit. Or maybe because of it, he couldn't tell.
 From where they were standing, most of the room could be seen, and he took a good, if discreet, look at the crowd. God only knew all the unholy shit that was being talked about and planned here tonight...

By the time he turned away from the view, Caliori's companion had left (or perhaps turned to putty and melted away in her hands) and the Primogen was walking toward them. He remained leaned against the cold stone, catching Caliori's inquisitive look at the Torrie.

"My hero arrived. The evening is saved." she said upon reaching them with a small smile "But, you didn't come alone, I see. Should I feel slighted?" she continued, cocking her head slightly to the side. He would have to avoid holding her gaze for too long periods at a time. If what the Nosferatu had told him was true, and there was little reason to doubt it at this point, she could indeed have ways of getting information. Means of the supernatural sort. This would have to be played cool.

Elsewhere

"Excuse me, Miss." Rebecka turned to face the speaker; it appeared to be one of the servants, Kine or possibly ghoul, carrying trays and otherwise attending the gathered Kindred tonight. Their clothing was mostly oriental-looking, matching the overall décor, from what she could judge during the minute she had to look around the large ballroom. He gave a courteous half-bow "Your presence is requested upstairs. May I show you the way?"

By the time she had reached her destination, another individual was just disappearing in the large doorway and yet another Kine lackey was standing nearby, presumably after having led him here. Her guide bowed shortly again, extending his hand towards the door, as if she actually needed explaining how to walk through it. She resisted the urge to roll her eyes behind the shades. Mortals, really. The first thing she noticed inside was the tall, large Kindred who had entered just before her, making his way around the table, second the woman standing at the opposite end of it. Rebecka would've guessed her clan even if she hadn't already been told what it was. The brunette could've been taken straight from the cover of this month's "Rich & Beautiful", dressed in something straight from "Vogue Magazine", only more expensive. She most likely had a charming personality too. In other words one could probably grow to hate her in an instant. Unbeknownst to Rebecka, she had come to a conclusion very similar to the one another Kindred had in regards to tonight's hostess just a moment before downstairs. Scientists called that "correspondence".

"Ms. Stein, Mr. Bitterman. Welcome." the Ventrue said in a friendly, though mostly business-like manner, looking up "A pleasure to meet you both. This is Mr. Nail; I don't believe you have met." she gestured towards one of the luxurious chairs standing around the table, from which a tall, lean creature shot a fanged grin at Rebecka "Please make yourselves comfortable."