collapse

Author Topic: Covering Tracks Discussion  (Read 10731 times)

Offline [archive] Skinweaver

• Antediluvian
Re: Covering Tracks Discussion
« Reply #135 on: January 30, 2007, 02:06:00 PM »
                In Reply To #135

Actually, this is the pace I'm used to. I can't keep up with the other stories at all but I might join the club scene someday soon unless it's full.

As for the misuderstanding with the suicide and the mess that came out of it, I'm entirely to blame. I've been stressing myself over this ever since I started and haven't been reading the posts the players have made. Well I've read them but not *properly*. Hence, my own screwup.
 I really want this story to work and I'll try to help in any way I can to make things clearer. Just help me help you and hopefully we'll get someplace where everyone can appreciate the story.                        

Offline [archive] RakishAzrael

• Methuselah
« Reply #136 on: February 01, 2007, 02:56:00 AM »
                YYYYEEEEAAHHHHH BBBOOOOYYYYYY!!!!!!

BASE! How low can you go??                        

-----signature-----

~Becuase 300,000 screaming fans can't be wrong~    

• Antediluvian
« Reply #137 on: February 02, 2007, 05:49:00 AM »
                In Reply To #137

And what's that supposed to mean?                        

• Methuselah
« Reply #138 on: February 03, 2007, 12:05:00 AM »
                its supposed to mean that your players are losing interest in your stagnating snails pace story!                        

-----signature-----

• Antediluvian
« Reply #139 on: February 04, 2007, 08:16:00 AM »
                In Reply To #139

Big surprise. Sadly, this is the pace I'm used to and have been using for my other 10+ stories so far. Oh well...                        

Offline [archive] Vongetta

• Methuselah
« Reply #140 on: February 04, 2007, 12:37:00 PM »
                Well, you know what, I bet I'm not the only one pretty pissed about committing so much effort into creating our characters for the story, and to have it stagnate to the point of non-existence.

-----signature-----
           "Only the insane equate pain with success." - Cheshire Cat, American McGee's Alice
 Currently playing: Samantha James - Rain

• Methuselah
« Reply #141 on: February 04, 2007, 09:32:00 PM »
                ARRRRR.... MUTINY!                        

-----signature-----

• Methuselah
« Reply #142 on: February 08, 2007, 04:59:00 AM »
                Hi,

I won't be able to carry on with my involvement in Covering Tracks. I'm not happy with the pace it is progressing at, that is to say, I don't even mind if people couldn't post due to a busy schedule or if they were having writer's block (happens to all of us at some point), but even then, I don't get the feeling that my participation is really necessary. I am/was a willing player, but I don't see cohesion or cooperation in this story. Sorry for comparisons but in my thread, players jump in to discuss, rant or, in Az & Slayd's case, banter each other on the pros & cons of the plot so far. I don't see this happening at all here. Heck..I don't see anything happening here at all. I'm disappointed, because I put so much effort into creating my character Mei for this story, yet I get the feeling that nobody's making an effort to include me in so far. But I guess that's my problem to worry about.

Hope there's no hard feelings. I'm sure you can all carry on the story well enough without my character involved anyway.

Cheers.                        

-----signature-----
           "Only the insane equate pain with success." - Cheshire Cat, American McGee's Alice

• Antediluvian
« Reply #143 on: February 08, 2007, 01:13:00 PM »
                In Reply To #143

I haven't seen much involvement since the start and compared to my other creations so far, I'm quite shocked to see the lack of enthusiasm for the story. I'm used to people PMing me ideas, actively discussing their own ideas for plot development and other things I just havent' seen here. I see roleplays as a group activity that takes commitment and when it comes to the pace, it just works that way. I expect people to write long posts, telling their own little stories to be woven into the plot and including their own characters in their own way.

My own disappointment is beyond anything I can express in words since I've attempted to start this story in two seperate forums with vastly different results. To compare, it worked over there but people were too slow even for my taste, taking weeks to write 10 sentences.

I took the responsibility here to create my own little universe but soon came to realise that demands were much higher among this audience. Probably because I was misusing an already established and beloved concept...
 I see people using terms like Kindred and Embrace out of habit and I accept it.

Everyone is nessecary and I'm really sorry to see you go but I guess it was inevitable. Personally, I'm mentally constipated in a bad case of writer's block despite having many, many pages of ideas tucked away. With people's interest fading, I'm thinking about letting this die off since I'll probably lose all my players before the block loosens up. No amount of pages of ideas or planned plot twists can save a story with no players.

If I were to see any signs of people wanting to present their own input and ideas, I'd be happy to discuss the development but with this silence, it's not possible.
 We could discuss on how to include Mei in a good way, how to handle the hunter situation and even come up with new plot ideas since I value everyone's input. I might even scrap my old story for something everyone would enjoy more.
 I want to run a working story but I need more than "I don't know what to dooo!" if I am to help.

The seemingly chaotic (and outrageous) Clantest a while back was a good example of player cooperation. We PM'd each other ideas, talked about future developments that were never realised (sadly) and adapted to suit each other's ideas. I get the feeling that people aren't enjoying this story enough to care for that kind of thing and if I could save it on my own, I would...

No hard feeling at all. I know why you feel this way and I have no doubts I'd feel the same way in your situation. I screwed up with your ideas earlier and that would make me feel widely ignored and insulted. I wish you the best of luck with your own story and if I ever manage to get this thing running, you're welcome to join in if you feel like it.                        

• Methuselah
« Reply #144 on: February 08, 2007, 01:41:00 PM »
                Lack of enthusiasm? Excuse me? I believe Azrael and I were the ones who put up more than a few posts demanding to know why the story hasn't been moving. If that's not enthusiasm in your players, then I don't know what is.

How can you expect us to be involved when you're not even making us feel involved? All you do is say you can't write, and that was about a week or two ago. fine if you're having writer's block or if you're busy or ill. But even before that the story had been stagnating for almost a month. The point is to keep the story afloat. Even if you feel shitty, there are some times when you have to write something..it doesn't matter how small the scene is, or even if it's just filler, it keeps the story going so the rest of us can contribute our part and have fun. I am actively involved in my Club thread but I've not written much so far on my Thief story, yet I know that by the end of this week At LEAST I have to get my lazy ass up and think of something, even if it's just a stupid little inconsequential scene about the 3 thieves.

I think your players are or were willing to be active in discussion, but you weren't laying down the finer points of the plot for us to follow. Hell, you weren't laying down anything for us to follow except for the basic rules. We have no idea what the short-term goals are for the story. We have no idea who is going to do this or that, or at which point in the story timeline we're supposed to do something to trigger an event or whatever. I made a fuss over it because I felt like you were just throwing your portion of the story at us in bits and expecting us to understand what you want us to do, which we obviously don't.

I never received any PMs from you, the author and storyteller of the thread, regarding the story, so I am not surprised that I did not receive any from the other players.

And you complain about our lack of enthusiasm. If I wasn't enthusiastic about the story I wouldn't have bothered with all of this.

I'm outta here.                        

-----signature-----

• Antediluvian
« Reply #145 on: February 08, 2007, 02:14:00 PM »
                In Reply To #145

I knew I'd cause an outrage with that statement...
 I admit that my way of handling this could have been better but let's learn from that and work together.
 A new beginning. I urge everyone to share their ideas in the thread and hopefully we'll get somewhere.                        

• Methuselah
« Reply #146 on: February 08, 2007, 04:53:00 PM »
                In Reply To #146

nah im bored with this if vals leaving and slayd boxy and gos arent in it. Tony would make a swell lasombra...                        

-----signature-----

• Antediluvian
« Reply #147 on: February 09, 2007, 10:20:00 AM »
                In Reply To #147

I guess it's dead, then.
 I guess I'll just have to focus on the version I got to work...                        

Offline [archive] roolegion

• Fledgling
Covering Tracks Discussion
« Reply #148 on: February 09, 2007, 10:43:00 AM »
                I thought it was fun - did not participate as much as the others though.                        

-----signature-----
           "The price for survival is eternal struggle."