Author Topic: Clan Quest Mod - Achievement System  (Read 3087 times)

Offline burgermeister01

• Administratrix
  • Antediluvian
Clan Quest Mod - Achievement System
« on: June 27, 2010, 10:54:01 AM »
So, this week's big update for Clan Quest Mod is the announcement of a new game play mechanic, an achievement system, available in CQM 2.1. Anyone that has played major games in the last few years (CoD:MW2, TF2, Dragon Age, Mass Effect, etc, etc) is familiar with the system: as you play the game, your accomplishments are tracked and logged and given a clever name and an icon. I figured it was time to bring Vampire up-to-date in that respect, and fortunately with some hacks I was able to work out in the game's engine, it is demonstratively possible.

All together there are 36 achievements that you can gain. Many of them are mutually exclusive to help promote multiple runs through the game to capture them all! Also, as you can see in the demo video, they are intentionally kept hidden to keep an element of surprise to finding them. Most of them are story-based achievements, because those are the simplest ones to create and also the least ridiculous. However, if this addition proves to be popular, I may add more achievements in the future, some of which may focus on mechanics within the game rather than story points.

Of course, for those that feel that achievement systems are just completely ridiculous and have no place in modern video games, the entire system will be included as an optional install. That way if you want to enjoy the new content of CQM with all the extra bells/whistles, you can just disable it during the installation process.

Anyways, I hope the video entices people to leave some feedback, as I'm curious to get a general opinion of this system from fans. Anyways, enjoy the new video, and let me know what you think!

Check the vid out on Youtube:
achievements.wmv

Offline cuteunit

• Fledgling
Re: Clan Quest Mod - Achievement System
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2010, 12:00:02 PM »
Well that's an idea.  Will you have to take any content out of the game to make room for it, though? like the poster thing.

Offline Ericone11

• Fledgling
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2010, 02:37:57 PM »
Looks very cool.

Is 2.1 going to use 7.0 of the UP?

Offline Mv.c9

• Antitribu
  • Neonate
    • Bloodlines Antitribu
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2010, 06:36:33 PM »
i have to say . . . truly Amazing!   :rock:

Offline cadmiumcadamium

• Methuselah
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2010, 09:02:19 PM »
kinda neat actually.

Offline $hacaR

• Fledgling
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2010, 09:46:44 PM »
thats really amazing buddy !!! great job there !

Offline YamiRaziel

• Fledgling
  • Redeemer & Destroyer
    • Citadelata - a fantasy based fan site
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2010, 10:40:27 PM »
Truly amazing! Is it possible to achieve all of them in a single run and are they affected by saves?

Offline burgermeister01

• Administratrix
  • Antediluvian
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2010, 01:35:25 AM »
@cuteunit: Nope, nothing excised due to this addition. Honestly, the items are one of the main limiting factors in the game, so hopefully the poster quest is the only thing I'll ever have to remove from the UP to make way for CQM.

@Ericone11: Yea, definitely I will be integrating 7.0 as soon as it comes out. I understand that will be in the very near future, so I can start working on integrating those changes right away. CQM 2.1 is still a long ways down the road, however.

@YamiRaziel: The way the system work is that individual achievements are preserved across saved games, but additive requirements for achievements are not. For example, there's one for getting maximum approval rating from LaCroix; you can't be nice to him half the game, a dick the other half of the game, then start a new game, and get the achievement half way though. You would have to be as nice as possible the whole way through the game. But as I said in the description, there are a lot of achievements that are mutually exclusive, so unless you're really clever and patient with your saved games, you'd have to complete multiple runs to get them all. Once you have the achievement though, you have it forever.

@every one else: Thanks for the compliments! If you have to know more, or have ideas, just let me know...

BM01

Offline YamiRaziel

• Fledgling
  • Redeemer & Destroyer
    • Citadelata - a fantasy based fan site
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2010, 03:15:04 PM »
I understand :) Do you plan on integrating CE 1.3 in CQM 2.1?

Offline Ericone11

• Fledgling
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2010, 06:15:17 PM »
@Ericone11: Yea, definitely I will be integrating 7.0 as soon as it comes out. I understand that will be in the very near future, so I can start working on integrating those changes right away. CQM 2.1 is still a long ways down the road, however.
Great.  Thank you.

Offline Zeratchi

• Fledgling
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2010, 11:03:59 AM »
Hello.
Congrats on the achievement mechanism, however.
I feel that the time spent on making this, could have been put into something more useful.
Checking for bugs, clean some codes, smooth some graphs up.

Don't get me wrong, I love that you spend the time that you do, improving/enchanting the game, but I feel that the prioritized time put into this, could have been done elsewhere.

Anyway, grats on the achievement, keep up the good work!

Offline burgermeister01

• Administratrix
  • Antediluvian
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2010, 06:37:23 AM »
Hello.
Congrats on the achievement mechanism, however.
I feel that the time spent on making this, could have been put into something more useful.
Checking for bugs, clean some codes, smooth some graphs up.

Don't get me wrong, I love that you spend the time that you do, improving/enchanting the game, but I feel that the prioritized time put into this, could have been done elsewhere.

Anyway, grats on the achievement, keep up the good work!

Hmm, are there any bugs, code, etc, specifically that you would like to see improved? Usually if someone has a suggestion, I'll try to take it up!