collapse

* Notice

Important notice (08 January 2021): PlanetVampire was staked for the last three days due to a failing disk. We have risen again on new hardware! Sorry for the inconvenience!

Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: IC- Ch 1.3.1 - Night 3- The 7th Guest at the Sign of the Prancing pony  (Read 16265 times)

Offline Azrael

  • Apathetic Toreador
  • Methuselah
  • ****
  • Posts: 266
  • Reputation: +308/-0
Tomaz looks up at the knock on the door.

"Go away. We're talking. And tell Burke he talks too loud. And that he's right and we should probably just deal with Gwen Count Orlock style."

He looks back at the pretty mute. Such sad eyes. It compelled him to try and cheer her up...granted he only knew one or two ways to do that.

He snatches the pad out of her hand and begins to scribble back.

I take it you don't go to the movies much. Or read the Tabloids. Tomaz DeAmorim at your service (thats Too*mah*sh, though I don't suppose you'll ever have to pronounce it), writer, director, studio headache...vampire. I am here by complete accident and am clearly being punished for my sins, present company notwithstanding. What about you?

He passes the pad back. While she reads, he finds his crumpled pack of cigarettes and his zippo, fishes one out and lights it. As he drags in, he knows he won't be needing these anymore, but he also knows that he'll never stop smoking.

You know what they say, nobody ever really quits.
 
- az

Offline Radical21

  • Moderator
  • Antediluvian
  • *****
  • Posts: 3032
  • Reputation: +-1344/-53
The Cigarette light seems to make Tomaz and Abigail uneasy, for the moment the flame of the lighter flicker something rasping flares up like a familiar short stab of primal fear that faintly calls out, threatening to overtake their senses.

Spoiler for Hiden:
For anyone wondering, The difficulty for lighting a cigarette is 3 so its less likely to induce frenzy, especially if the vampire controls the cigarette. would still make a vampire feel ill at ease however I imagine, especially if they are new to the sensation
(source is p.229)
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 11:12:40 pm by Radical21 »

Offline Malavis

  • Antediluvian
  • *****
  • Posts: 1160
  • Reputation: +731/-5
  • Legacy Of The Triangle
Responding to Gary's question, Burke continues to scrub as he talks.
"Well, while Gwen is unconscious or recovering from what fixable brain damage she has done to herself, now seems like a good time. I have a 5 bedroom house about 20 minutes northeast of Cavern, in the 'burbs. 2.5 of those bedrooms are in an unfinished basement, but there are no windows. Would be a perfect place for us to hole up. I'd like to extend the invitation to all of you: I dare not ask Gwen, for fear she'll burn the damn place to the ground while we sleep."
Burke makes himself heard loudly enough that those in the bathroom can hear as well.

"Besides, I really need a shower and to change my damn shirt before we go anyway. Making a decent impression there will go a long way towards indicating that the last few nights have gone smoothly, even if they haven't."

Offline Isador

  • Methuselah
  • ****
  • Posts: 334
  • Reputation: +299/-0
Gary looks a little confused when Burke talks about Gwen like she's still around. Suddenly it hits him, "Wait, you mean she's..."

He moves a hand over his chest, remembering the wound that had been there. "Yeah...yeah makes sense. Sort of. As much as any of this makes sense."

Gary seems conflicted for a moment before just settling down and appearently agreeing with himself. "So, when are we leaving?"
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 01:16:35 am by Isador »

Offline Friktion

  • Methuselah
  • ****
  • Posts: 327
  • Reputation: +224/-2
Adrian groans loudly.  "Of all the times to not be cooperative" he mumbles into the door.  Adrian turns around and watches the two clean as sleeping beauty lays on the bed.  There's no prince charming enough to cure that crazy, too bad, too bad.  Adrian shakes his head and thinks for a moment.

"Well there's six of us and only one extremely conspicuous car.  That's one traffic stop shy of bad news.  We need a plan.  Before we see the Prince we definitely need to clean up, figure out what we're going to say, and coordinate our story."

Adrian paces back and forth.

"The truth is good, but not for you Burke.  If you were put in charge of them and shit went down as it did, it makes you look incompetent."  Adrian pauses then visibly recoils.  "That sounded a lot harsher than I meant.  I'm sorry."

"What would be best is if we can get everyone on the same page where Burke looks like the hero and we look like capable servants.  That puts all of us in a much better position than a group of bumbling ass-clowns leaving behind a trail of corpses."  Adrian raises his voice at the part about leaving behind a trail of corpses.

He intends to unnerve Abigail.  He wants her to confront him.

Offline Voidshaper

  • Ancillus
  • ***
  • Posts: 203
  • Reputation: +5/-1
As always, it's hard for Abigail to tell whether Tomaz is joking with her or being insensitive on purpose. Was he mocking her, writing his words down like that when at least he is perfectly capable of speaking them? It was probably just a dumb joke. She decides to let it slide, under the circumstances.

When the flame erupts from Tomaz's lighter, Abigail flinches, bringing her legs close to her body (and away from the fire). She stares at Tomaz nervously while he lights a cigarette. I guess he hasn't gotten the memo yet. We don't get to do anything fun anymore.

She hears the others outside in the main room talking. Burke is obviously making a point of being loud enough. It sounded like a good plan to her. Adrian, of course, is pitching in too - pretending to play the happy little sidekick in the operation. He still made Abigail nervous.

Hearing Adrian call her out on the body of the woman, she looks to Tomaz, instant rage across her face. But when she sees Tomaz sitting there, trying to enjoy a cigarette he never will again, she drops back. Instead, she curls up, putting her elbows on her knees and burying her face in her hands.

It was too much.

She sits there quietly for several moments, silent and unmoving.

Offline Malavis

  • Antediluvian
  • *****
  • Posts: 1160
  • Reputation: +731/-5
  • Legacy Of The Triangle
Burke rubs his chin, pondering.

"We have to assume that the prince already knows everything that is going on. He cut the impression of political leader and crime kingpin all rolled into one. If he didn't know everything that was going on in the city, there's no way he'd be able to maintain control."

Burke shuffles back from his scrubbing, a moderate amount of progress on the bloodstain having been made. He sits on the floor cross-legged.

"We have two options: Try to play it off as though nothing happened- It will work great if the prince is ignorant, but if he does know any part of my story that I leave out, and he asks, then all I've got is 'oh yeah. that.' Then I look worse than incompetent. I look like a liar, and a failure, and a fool for assuming he wouldn't find out."

Burke sighs, wishing that there were more possible decisions.

"No. The only option is to play this one straight. I tell the prince pretty much everything that happened; and paint a picture of five competent individuals attempting to make the best of their complete inexperience, their lack of support, and making due as of a group of individuals which was not assembled by choice: And then we outline in detail how we attempted to keep control of that woman in spite of her obvious instability and continued endangerment of our group. In fact..."

Burke grabs the coil of cable that was once used to restrain Tomaz, wheels turning.

"It might be better if we give her to them giftwrapped. It will help us sell the idea that all along we were preserving the masquerade as best we could, given the circumstances, and that we are not afraid to make some tough calls if need be. It also solves the problem of 6 people to a 5-person car. Then, if the prince decides to release her, we can tell her we were just trying to make sure she didn't hurt herself again, and wanted to get the prince's opinion. That's really the only way to come out of this on top, I think. Sell the story of ordinary people in crazy circumstances, doing the best they could."

Burke looks around the room for the support of the others.

Offline Isador

  • Methuselah
  • ****
  • Posts: 334
  • Reputation: +299/-0
Gary rubs his chin a little, letting Burke's plan run through his mind several times. Suprisingly, he nods approvingly with a smirk appearing on his face. "You know what, that sounds like a plan. The sooner we get that done, the better in my opinion."

A bigger grin appears on his face as he looks at Burke. "Lets get to work then. Boss" He says, snickering as though he's just made a rather funny joke.

Offline Malavis

  • Antediluvian
  • *****
  • Posts: 1160
  • Reputation: +731/-5
  • Legacy Of The Triangle
Burke's eyes narrow a bit. His voice is still soft but has an edge to it that belies the pressure he's about to be under.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Presence
Rolled 6d10>5 : 9, 2, 5, 5, 2, 10, total 19

"Look, Gary. I didn't ask for this. I didn't ask the prince to put all of our lives in my hands, and I'm after cohabitation for survival, not a chance to lead- but if we are going to try to sell this as acceptable, out of all of us, I have the best shot. When I was a kid I was watching my father make million-dollar deals over breakfast. I've been groomed for the life of a CEO since I was 14, and reading art of war since I was 10.
I'm not the boss, and the only reason I'm even in this mess is because I never wanted to BE the boss in any regard; But if it looks like I'm large and in charge when we're at elysium, it will help sell the fact that we banded together and triumphed. It will lend authority to what I tell the prince if I can speak from that position.
I never went to scouts, so I can't tie a knot for shit. Who wants to take care of Gwen before that hole in her head seals up enough for her to be coherent?"



Offline Malavis

  • Antediluvian
  • *****
  • Posts: 1160
  • Reputation: +731/-5
  • Legacy Of The Triangle
Gabriel appears to have fully recovered from his panic attack: In fact he seems more collected and full of purpose than ever before.
Burke's words appear larger than life, like a rousing pre-battle speech or an oration from a famous world leader.

His every word appears to carry truth and purpose behind it.

Offline Isador

  • Methuselah
  • ****
  • Posts: 334
  • Reputation: +299/-0
Re: IC- Ch 1.3.1 - Night 3- The 7th Guest at the Sign of the Prancing pony
« Reply #100 on: July 27, 2011, 10:15:09 pm »
Gary raises his hands up defensively, still smiling brightly...which is creepy, as his teeth are all starting to become quite sharp...and dont seem to be aligned with eachother very well anymore. "Hey dont get me wrong Burke. If anyone here should be the boss it's you. I'm just teasing you a bit. I'm no good at tying knots though...afraid Gwen is better at that. Sort of get the idea she wont be much help though."

Offline Malavis

  • Antediluvian
  • *****
  • Posts: 1160
  • Reputation: +731/-5
  • Legacy Of The Triangle
Re: IC- Ch 1.3.1 - Night 3- The 7th Guest at the Sign of the Prancing pony
« Reply #101 on: July 27, 2011, 10:25:27 pm »
Burke grins.

"Course, if any of us could figure out how to hopelessly tie HERSELF up, it'd be her."

Offline Friktion

  • Methuselah
  • ****
  • Posts: 327
  • Reputation: +224/-2
Re: IC- Ch 1.3.1 - Night 3- The 7th Guest at the Sign of the Prancing pony
« Reply #102 on: July 27, 2011, 11:42:25 pm »
"Hmm. Actually Gwen might be our ace in the hole." Adrian perks up.

"Believe it or not, but dealing with crazies is what I do for a living, no pun intended. There is something very interesting about her that we didn't consider. She shot herself for us."

Adrian takes a few steps around the room slinking back into the familiar role of professor.

"Think about it. She could have shot one of us right? Obviously she intended to kill herself, somehow it was to help us. Now in our minds another dead body is not helpful, but in her mind she was helping. She was helping." He paces back and forth.

"What if that was her way of accepting responsibility? What if she was trying to take the burden of Fucking up?" Adrian pauses and looks at Burke.  "Not only did you do the best with what you had, but you saved her from herself. She can be our scapegoat or our greatest achievement."

The look of delight in Adrian's is unmistakable.

Offline Malavis

  • Antediluvian
  • *****
  • Posts: 1160
  • Reputation: +731/-5
  • Legacy Of The Triangle
Re: IC- Ch 1.3.1 - Night 3- The 7th Guest at the Sign of the Prancing pony
« Reply #103 on: July 28, 2011, 01:12:14 am »
Burke raises an eyebrow, not having considered that angle.

"You might be giving her too much credit, Adrian. I don't think she has a master plan, nor is she penitent. I think she needed to shoot something, and shooting herself was a quicker death, so she thought, than having the rest of us tear her apart had she shot one of us."
Spoiler for Hiden:
Intellect/Empathy
Rolled 6d10 : 6, 2, 9, 7, 7, 7, total 38

Offline Malavis

  • Antediluvian
  • *****
  • Posts: 1160
  • Reputation: +731/-5
  • Legacy Of The Triangle
Re: IC- Ch 1.3.1 - Night 3- The 7th Guest at the Sign of the Prancing pony
« Reply #104 on: July 28, 2011, 01:13:43 am »
Burke eyes Adrian up for a moment.

"So you work in abnormal psych? A researcher? A prof, maybe?"

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal