collapse

Author Topic: The Grand Masquerade News (23/10 - 26/10)  (Read 30180 times)

Offline Radical21

• Antediluvian
Re: The Grand Masquerade News (23/10 - 26/10)
« Reply #195 on: October 16, 2010, 03:42:37 PM »
The MMO with the largest playerbase right now is FarmVille with over 90 million users. They make a lot of money, and still I don't consider it a better game because of that.

And Bloodlines wasn't made by White-Wolf, it was a license.

Sad but true

Offline Vlisson

• Fledgling
« Reply #196 on: October 24, 2010, 06:51:32 PM »
so its getting released in 12-18 month? (hey 2011 is coming ^^)

and no screenshots about this game? im so excited and want to get more infos ^^

Offline zepherin

• Neonate
« Reply #197 on: October 27, 2010, 03:02:17 AM »

You forget to bring into account the customer loyalty factor, EVE Online is a Unique game which means that the customers who really like the game are less likely to move on to other games in light of the fact that currently most MMORPGs out there are Themepark with restricted PvP-style and Shards that divide the playerbase.

I mean think about it, how many people choose to terminate their accounts with one mainstream MMORPG the second there is a new mainstream...I may be wrong but I'm thinking so many people are going to put down their WoW subscription when GW2 comes out.

About "more content" its kind of odd because Developers like Blizzard still charge extra for expansions like WOTLK instead of using subscription money to cover their expenses which makes some customers kind of frustrated with their seemingly unjustified greed.

Higher subscription doesn't make for a better game , at least not from what I see, in most of these MMORPGs The number of subscribers is subdivided into seperate servers and the game's content has to be conservative to try and please all of them.
I'm not trying to suggest that a higher subscription makes a better game. I am saying that it allows the production team to exist and for them to add on expansions. And loyalty is important, but if they want WOD to be a mainstream hit and break the 1 mill mark they are going to have to play to the masses. Eve online is innovative and interesting, but the harsh nature of the game, confusing interface and extreme learning curve kept players away. I think you are right many people will leave WoW for GW2, but WoW will still have at least a million customers and cataclysm will keep some too and allow wow to hit them for another 30 bucks a pop,  and GW2 will probably do better than GW1. Still if we are talking GW then let's talk NCSoft. All of their games have pretty light death penalties, and NC soft has 4 MMOs that have at one point had over a million customers.

I have mixed views on charging for additional content, but without the high subscriber base there would not be any extra content.

I'm not saying that the game shouldn't allow intrigue, hell that's part of the point of Vampire the Masquerade is intrigue and deception, but the developers seam to be looking at the game in a similar no holds bar way that they look at eve and then say they are trying to get to the wider consumer market. These are not compatible objectives.

Also I know Bloodlines was made by Troika and licensed to them by Whitewolf, that still doesn't mean that the MMO shouldn't be similar to Bloodlines in many aspects. And while farmville is the most popular MMO in a limited sense, they don't get 10 bucks a pop from their 90 million person population. Farmville made about 240 million dollars in 2009. WoW made close to a Billion.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2010, 03:13:10 AM by zepherin »

Offline Radical21

• Antediluvian
« Reply #198 on: October 27, 2010, 03:13:08 AM »
but WoW will still have at least a million customers and cataclysm will keep some too and allow wow to hit them for another 30 bucks a pop,

I don't know about that, if you looked at GW2 its a whole new class of MMO, WoW wont be able to keep up with it because its engine would be technically dated in comparison at least on the short term and eventually it will die out like Asheron's call did.
(Asheron's Call was something like the second MMORPG to be created and was incredibly popular at its time and nowdays I think Turbine are considering putting that old dog to sleep).

WoW is the same way only worse because it has no sandbox enviroment or unique features that would make it endearing in some way (which is why I think AC is still alive despite being dated) or if there are such features I would'nt know about them because so many games ripped off that kind of gameplay by now.

Offline zepherin

• Neonate
« Reply #199 on: October 27, 2010, 03:19:37 AM »
but WoW will still have at least a million customers and cataclysm will keep some too and allow wow to hit them for another 30 bucks a pop,

I don't know about that, if you looked at GW2 its a whole new class of MMO, WoW wont be able to keep up with it because its engine would be technically dated in comparison at least on the short term and eventually it will die out like Asheron's call did.
(Asheron's Call was something like the second MMORPG to be created and was incredibly popular at its time and nowdays I think Turbine are considering putting that old dog to sleep).

WoW is the same way only worse because it has no sandbox enviroment or unique features that would make it endearing in some way (which is why I think AC is still alive despite being dated) or if there are such features I would'nt know about them because so many games ripped off that kind of gameplay by now.
Of course WoW is dated.  And AC was fantastic, but it takes a while for the invested player to just walk away completely from their characters and subscription fees. The thing is that generally MMO Gfx are not top of the line. They want the most compatibility so they shoot for a mark where they won't exclude most of their target market when they choose a graphics engine. It is why the recommended requirements for Aion are pretty chintzy. And while GW2 will be a bit higher it won't be by much.

Offline Radical21

• Antediluvian
« Reply #200 on: October 27, 2010, 03:51:55 AM »
Of course WoW is dated.  And AC was fantastic, but it takes a while for the invested player to just walk away completely from their characters and subscription fees. The thing is that generally MMO Gfx are not top of the line. They want the most compatibility so they shoot for a mark where they won't exclude most of their target market when they choose a graphics engine. It is why the recommended requirements for Aion are pretty chintzy. And while GW2 will be a bit higher it won't be by much.

I know that Graphics are a thing with some people but GW2 wont just be good on the Graphics level, it will have never seen before gameplay mechanics that on a PvE level could even put most singleplayer games to shame... so it is relatively revolutionary(still not as revolutionary as EvE but revolutionary for a mainstream) which is why JA and so many other people talk about it, unlike WoD its not a niche and pretty mainstream in its fantasy settings that mirror WoW "style" ,Anyways I think Blizzard had alot more unique style during their Warcraft II,Diablo I and StarCraft period. So unless Blizzard are preparing a counter offensive I see their product diving.

I mean I know I wouldn't pay 30 bucks monthly to play an MMO especially when I know that something with better gameplay is out there.I payed 10 Bucks for AC at the time but I didn't feel ripped off as the case is with Blizzard's expansions, I had the DM expansion for AC and I still payed the regular ~10 bucks and got monthly updates so you can understand where im coming from.
 Turns out my younger sister who, unlike me and my older sister, is a sucker for that whole Fantasy-kitsche style had a WoW account (I always thought she played on some hacked Private shard or something) but she dumped it when she found out that she has to pay extra monthly for WoTLK so that 30 bucks a pop might be a gamekiller for some people.

Offline zepherin

• Neonate
« Reply #201 on: October 27, 2010, 04:14:39 AM »
I suggested that WoW moves from 11.5 million subscribers to a number significantly less than that. GW2 and annoyance with billing for expansions is not going to make 11 million subscriptions bolt. They are going to steal from WoW but probably in the neighborhood of a couple million. According to Activision-Blizzards 10Q filing blizzards deferred subscriber revenue (accounting talk for subscribers this year) is 284 million dollars for the quarter, which is still over a billion a year. These are Augusts numbers. The 11.5 million subscribers are Jan 1st numbers. 10Q (quarterly) are never as detailed as 10k (yearly) filings.  My point remains that WoW is going to have millions of people after GW2. They are also creating a new MMO too. New IP and all that jazz.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2010, 04:20:49 AM by zepherin »