collapse

Author Topic: New features for the forum.  (Read 200 times)

Online Signothorn

• God Hates Fangs
  • Administratrix
  • Antediluvian
Re: New features for the forum.
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2019, 01:11:20 PM »
The theme that works best on my end is called smf4mobile. Jenya was having issues with it, but it works perfectly on my end.
Not the regular smf4mobile, but smf4mobilemod-2. The regular one works fine.

Ok, I misunderstood you. Smf4mobile works fine for you, as it does for me, which is great. Can't Deicide just darken the theme and release it? We'd have two choices for colors. If Deicide feels like doing more, that's great, but on the mobile side I was more concerned with function and usability. What is the issue you have with original smf4mobile? Feel free to correct me if I'm misunderstanding you, I just rolled out of bed and I can be rather dense until I get enough caffeine.  :beam:

Offline deicide

• Drug Fiend
  • Methuselah
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2019, 01:19:24 PM »
Sure I can, it doesn't seem to be convoluted. As I understand it, it's currently a priority over the desktop theme stuff?
The patient was a young lady whom I was loath to disfigure (c)

Online Signothorn

• God Hates Fangs
  • Administratrix
  • Antediluvian
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2019, 01:29:01 PM »
Sure I can, it doesn't seem to be convoluted. As I understand it, it's currently a priority over the desktop theme stuff?

It's all about a mobile theme. Some of the themes we've tried were supposed to somehow auto scale to mobile in the demos, but still required zooming. smf4mobile theme seems to be the only theme that is built from the ground up to be a mobile theme. I'm not quite understanding if Jenya is saying that smf4mobile is fine, but has a preference to get the other one (but smf4mobilemod-2) to work differently, or if there is something I'm missing. I'm okay with having smf4mobile working with a darker theme and disabling the others. I see the need for a mobile theme, but in reality myself and Jenya are the only 2 people who have had any interest in it, so I don't know how much time and energy is warranted in going beyond functionality with a darker theme for smf4mobile.

Offline Jenya

• Neonate
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2019, 02:44:18 PM »
Ok, I misunderstood you. Smf4mobile works fine for you, as it does for me, which is great. Can't Deicide just darken the theme and release it? We'd have two choices for colors. If Deicide feels like doing more, that's great, but on the mobile side I was more concerned with function and usability. What is the issue you have with original smf4mobile? Feel free to correct me if I'm misunderstanding you, I just rolled out of bed and I can be rather dense until I get enough caffeine.  :beam:

I have no issues with the original smf4mobile, I just prefer it to be dark not just because an aesthetic reasons but also as a charge saver.

It's all about a mobile theme. Some of the themes we've tried were supposed to somehow auto scale to mobile in the demos, but still required zooming. smf4mobile theme seems to be the only theme that is built from the ground up to be a mobile theme. I'm not quite understanding if Jenya is saying that smf4mobile is fine, but has a preference to get the other one (but smf4mobilemod-2) to work differently, or if there is something I'm missing. I'm okay with having smf4mobile working with a darker theme and disabling the others. I see the need for a mobile theme, but in reality myself and Jenya are the only 2 people who have had any interest in it, so I don't know how much time and energy is warranted in going beyond functionality with a darker theme for smf4mobile.

I simply would like to get all the themes working on my device. It could be useful in the future.
I belive that I alredy post a screenshot of how smf4mobilemod-2 working on my phone. I wish I have the expirience needed to help you, but unfortunatly I don't.

Online Signothorn

• God Hates Fangs
  • Administratrix
  • Antediluvian
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2019, 05:00:00 PM »
Since I'm home sick, puking like a Ventrue after a rat breakfast for the 2nd day in a row, I'll be continuing work on the files area today. Eventually we'll be able to do major mods, but I want to wait until Sam is home from his trip, in case we continue to have some PHP issues. I like the way things will now be segregated by type of skin vs our old files area, but I'm open to some more feedback.

I've also added some trusted people to the uploaders group, which allows them to upload mods. Due to a darn near impossible battle we've had with bots in the past, I'm not ready to simply allow everyone to upload because I want to rule out the likelihood that we'd have a malicious file uploaded. If you want to be added to the group, just message me, I'm not trying to make it an exclusive thing. Downloads for the moment are restricted to people with forum accounts for now, but we'll likely open that up to everyone, even people who don't have a forum account. This is a new system, so we're kind of doing things in stages, testing stability, then adding more and repeating. Most of the forum slowness happens when we're doing work in the dl area. In the end, it should be a much more intuitive interface to work with. You can also make comments on the mod page, as well as share to fb or twitter natively.

Last thing on this subject for this post: Sam and I are batch uploading mods, so they show us as being in control of the mod page. If we uploaded a mod to the new downloads area that you originally uploaded and want control of that page, just message me and reference the links to the pages, and I'll happily turn them over to you.

Thanks!

https://forums.planetvampire.com/downloads/

Offline TF Alex Burton

• Formally known as the Shadow Man
  • Antediluvian
    • Terror Firma by Alex Burton
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2019, 05:26:10 PM »
Its nice to see this place being innovated. I don't think its unreasonable to require someone to have a forum account to upload though.

Online Signothorn

• God Hates Fangs
  • Administratrix
  • Antediluvian
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2019, 06:03:16 PM »
Its nice to see this place being innovated. I don't think its unreasonable to require someone to have a forum account to upload though.

Absolutely. I wouldn't allow guests to upload, ever. We at least need a sliver of accountability. I'm leaning towards letting guests download, but at minimum we can allow them to see all the mods, and create an account to download, if bots will be trying to eat up bandwidth in some way. The forum's stability has a slot to do with SMF using older PHP. Sam has upgraded PHP, presumably for functionality or security, but there are some compatibility issues that cause bugs. It's probably the root of why Psycho-A and myself have no BBCode options in the forums atm.