collapse

Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: New Admin Needed! Replace Me!  (Read 229 times)

Offline Signothorn

• God Hates Fangs
  • Administratrix
  • Antediluvian
New Admin Needed! Replace Me!
« on: November 30, 2018, 04:41:10 PM »
After 18 years with PlanetVampire, I feel it's time for me to step down from all my staff roles here. First off, the site isn't going away. Sam is the Site Director, hosts the site himself to a great extent with many many backups, and would likely take a bullet to protect them. Wesp is still going to be here as the awesome leader and patcher/modder he's always been. The only guaranteed change is my stepping down and looking for a replacement, so rest easy. Don't overstate my importance here lol, you're in good hands. They are great at their roles, as well as really great people!

I started a forum account on the PV Gamespy boards in late 2000. Around 2006, I was complaining about some things, mainly the level of promotion of mods that had decreased, and I provided some solutions. Javokis was also involved in that thread, which ultimately lead to us becoming great friends who still chat every day. Skyra, the Site Director at the time, empowered me to make those changes myself and made me a moderator. I had the drive to push PV to be the best version of itself that it could be at the time. I went through the whole site and fixed old broken links and corrected email addresses. I created a PlanetVampire Youtube channel, FB Page, Twitter account and a Steam group. I also saw that the site was in jeopardy because Gamespy was dropping support for it's sites, so I took us private, with the great help of many like Payne, Javokis, Burgermiester and more. I also had to settle many disputes between modders privately, mainly by telling them to promote their products on the site, and not their disputes. Some fun but sometimes pathetic and sad stories and history behind many of those discussions. I also met Sam on Tunngle in a Redemption RP group and we hit it off. Because of my lack of web admin skills that he has a degree in, he agreed to take over the Site Director role from me per my request.

I come to you the community today to tell you that my drive to do these things has waned over the last year or more. I love this community, and will stay here as a member, but with helping the community in mind, I want to find a suitable replacement for my duties. I wish to find someone who has the drive, determination and energy to promote the work of the community in a dependable way. First I will explain my somewhat pessimistic view of PV's future, so you'll know that we're looking for someone with the opposite mindset. I do have other interests now, but I'll mainly address the things a new admin will have control over.

When I became an admin, I had a belief that I could return PlanetVampire to it's glory days, now I don't know what to do, and am unwilling to put the energy in changing coarse, and doubling down on what I've done in the past isn't working. Perhaps it's because my ideas are old and stale, and we need new blood to keep what has made PlanetVampire a kickass community, while implementing some changes. You'll have an opportunity to tell me what you'd do in the interview process. I also see White Wolf having some huge wins on the publishing side and PNP, but am pessimistic about it's future in video games and our community.

Tobias Sjogren stepping down from White Wolf was a big deal for me, especially when a recent White Wolf blog mentioned a change in management was part of correcting mistakes, while along their apology tour. I may be completely wrong here, and feel free to correct me if I am, but I felt it was a jab at Tobias, putting some of the blame on him for offending a select few people. That upset me. I feel White Wolf, now once again is under new management, is trying to find it's identity again. That's happened a few times in recent years, and not good for any relationship. White Wolf's re-growth somewhat depends on reaching masses, and that means pleasing a worldwide community of varying cultures, which is a very daunting task. However, I feel that they've overreacted, and are making the World of Darkness into a safe space, and feel a responsibility over the story tellers to decide who is welcome in their roleplaying groups. Nazi's are scum, and I denounce anything of the sort, but also I feel it's far reaching to decide for everyone else if they could play a despicable nazi player. I'd never do it, and I'd walk away if someone decided to do that, but it's my choice. These views of White Wolf's future may or may not have merit, but I'm now stuck with a negative confirmation bias toward's a lackluster video game when it eventually comes out, because I see White Wolf trying to appease everyone, which is impossible. This also ultimately takes energy away from the final product imo. The nazi issue is just one example, don't hang on that too much. It's not the main topic at hand, so there's no need to expand. Tobias was a really great leader, who really understood community, was very friendly and approachable, and I hold him in very high regard. He even chatted with AtrBlizzard on Skype a few times, when he was trying to find a way to make Project Vaulderie work out. I feel we lost a huge bridge to a bright future when he stepped down, for other reasons outside his control. I hope that blog wasn't an attempt to throw him under the bus, so to speak, but let's move on.

I also feel that Moddb and Nexus mods are much better at file hosting than we ever could do. We're not trying to compete with then, but our file hosting system is junk, a disgrace to what it once was, and I can't fix it. It was once the bread to our butter, and now it's dilapidated to the point where it's unusable, do to incompatabilty with necessary security upgrades. There also isn't as much of a need for PV to host directly with those better alternatives, but I can't see through my disappointment of our once great main site slowly slipping away, although Sam is doing a tremendous job with the sysadmin side! The forum community is what is most important of coarse, but again, I'm overwhelmed by what I feel that I can't change.

Okay, to the part that excites me the most right now, finding a suitable replacement. Do you feel the opposite of my above notes and feel you have what it takes to take PlanetVampire to the next level? I want to be proven wrong! Skyra didn't see how we could change, so he empowered me do do it, now it's my turn to do the same for someone else! Apply for my job! Don't be shy, this is your chance. I'm a huge introvert  with many personal hangups, and forced myself to be social for the community, you can too.

Pay: $0.00. Do it because you selflessly love the community and want it to thrive.

Responsibilities:

-Promoting Redemption and Bloodlines projects without bias on social media (ie Facebook, Youtube, Twitter, Steam, Discord ect)

-Reading and responsibly moderating posts. Have a broad understanding of trends and development in the modding scene. Also have a sense what the community wants, and sometimes introducing new ideas to see if it gains traction.

-Communicating with other staff on ideas you may have, or concerns you see.

-Performing minor administrative tasks in the Simple Machines Forum system. Very easy to learn, don't let it intimidate or deter you.

Requirements:

- Having the respect of the community in advance, and being able to communicate with other staff with concerns and solutions.

- Having an active FB, Steam and Discord account. Access to our Youtube channel and Twitter will be provided. We don't currently have a Twitch account, but you can create one if you wish!

- A vision to make PlanetVampire have a successful future, even including potentially promoting exciting projects outside WW IP, as long as they don't infringe on WW IP.

Would be awesome if you have some webdev experience, or know of some willing helpers to accomplish your vision, but by no means a requirement.

That's it! The rest is between you and the rest of staff. It's also good to know what the strengths of other staff, and try to fill in gaps. Wesp often looks at things very differently from me, so I love bouncing ideas off him to see what he thinks. I'll greatly miss that. Site problems, like slowness, or bots taking over the forums ect, Sam's your go to person. There is also a moderator forum to communicate to all staff that you'll have access to. Sometimes you will need to initiate discussions and be persistent if you really want change lol.

To Apply:

Private message me your answers to the following questions no later than December 14th, 2018. This gives people plenty of time to come up with ideas, solutions and commitments. Sam, Wesp, and myself will confer about the applicants, and make a decision by December 21st.

1. What does the PlanetVampire community mean to you? Also provide some of your background story and history in the community.

2. Two part question: 1.If you were given sole power to do anything with the site, what would you do to improve the community? 2.What would you do to drive people to PlanetVampire, while also promoting projects and their respective sites/pages so we continue to be a hub for everyone's content rather than being viewed as a competitor?

3. How would you accomplish this? List your own skills, along with how you would find or utilize others to make it happen.

4. Do you agree to fullfill your responsibilities and listed requirements to the best of your ability, as cited above?

5. Do you agree to help find a suitable replacement for yourself if you also decide to step down at some point and pass the torch?

I look forward to your responses!

Offline Acleacius

• Antediluvian
Re: New Admin Needed! Replace Me!
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2018, 06:05:33 PM »
I had to follow the link just to find out who was leaving, you never used your name!  :taunt:

Wow, really hate to see you step down. I've got nothing but respect for you and the others running this site for years, thanks!!!  :rock:

I don't know much about what's going on with WW atm but did just recently see the movie World Of Darkness from 2017. I'm still hoping Obsidian's announcement is a new Vampire and Post Apocalyptic with Leonard and Tim.
Trust me, most of the names I have been called you can't translate in any language...they're not even real words as much as a succession of violent images.

Offline The Shadow Man

• Antediluvian
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2018, 07:14:06 PM »
It is a shame to see you go Signothorn but I wish you luck with your future endeavours. I hope PlanetVampire will continue to thrive into the future.

Offline Azrael

• Apathetic Toreador
  • Methuselah
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2018, 07:26:44 PM »
Jesus. You draw my attention back here to announce THIS?

- az

Offline Signothorn

• God Hates Fangs
  • Administratrix
  • Antediluvian
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2018, 07:30:02 PM »
Jesus. You draw my attention back here to announce THIS?

Nice to see you bro, I just selected the "Announce topic" option for the first time ever, without knowing what it did. I didn't think it would bring back the dead lol.

Offline Azrael

• Apathetic Toreador
  • Methuselah
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2018, 07:36:00 PM »
We're all dead here, bb. No harm done. Good excuse to peruse the old stoping grounds (such as they are). Sorry to hear you've had your fill of command. Shame you can't get Gostro to take your place. Always liked the idea of a Malkavian prince.
- az

Offline Signothorn

• God Hates Fangs
  • Administratrix
  • Antediluvian
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2018, 07:42:20 PM »
We're all dead here, bb. No harm done. Good excuse to peruse the old stoping grounds (such as they are). Sorry to hear you've had your fill of command. Shame you can't get Gostro to take your place. Always liked the idea of a Malkavian prince.

He's doing really well, and getting married soon. One of Vongetta's many personalities would be an interesting choice as well.  :rofl:

Offline Azrael

• Apathetic Toreador
  • Methuselah
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2018, 09:26:51 PM »
What was the name of the fellow with all the titty mods? The one who would show up periodically to antagonize Wesp and lay siege to the forum? Started with a T? Yeah, him. Pick him.
- az

Offline samspin

• Administratrix
  • Neonate
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2018, 09:45:45 PM »
Thank you Sig for posting this thread, it is quite a lot of work to manually follow and retweet news, keep in touch with people and have inside knowledge. As you know, I couldn't take on all that as well as barricade the servers this site runs on to protect it from the battlefield of the Internet at the same time, so I really appreciate it! Your work will always be appreciated. I have however a small suggestion to put out there: maybe more than one person could apply for specific duties and work together? It is quite a commitment to take that takes a lot of time and investment with a lot of responsibility. Of course I do also see the flip-side: this kind of role is one where you need an overview of everything that's going on, and delegate accordingly, and not everyone is good at this. Anybody else have any thoughts on this? It's all welcome!

What was the name of the fellow with all the titty mods? The one who would show up periodically to antagonize Wesp and lay siege to the forum? Started with a T? Yeah, him. Pick him.
Gah, even I'm aware of the Trouble with a capital T. No thank you....
I know you're only teasing, right?

Offline Signothorn

• God Hates Fangs
  • Administratrix
  • Antediluvian
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2018, 10:06:36 PM »
Thank you Sig for posting this thread, it is quite a lot of work to manually follow and retweet news, keep in touch with people and have inside knowledge. As you know, I couldn't take on all that as well as barricade the servers this site runs on to protect it from the battlefield of the Internet at the same time, so I really appreciate it! Your work will always be appreciated. I have however a small suggestion to put out there: maybe more than one person could apply for specific duties and work together? It is quite a commitment to take that takes a lot of time and investment with a lot of responsibility. Of course I do also see the flip-side: this kind of role is one where you need an overview of everything that's going on, and delegate accordingly, and not everyone is good at this. Anybody else have any thoughts on this? It's all welcome!

I kinda hinted to Wesp in a PM that we could even have more than one person, but I didn't want to present that here. If multiple people apply and have differing skills that compliment each other, it's not extra overhead on our end to bring both aboard. I want to see who decides to message me, look at their responses, then make that determination together. I hear what you're saying.

Offline samspin

• Administratrix
  • Neonate
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2018, 10:17:07 PM »
I kinda hinted to Wesp in a PM that we could even have more than one person, but I didn't want to present that here. If multiple people apply and have differing skills that compliment each other, it's not extra overhead on our end to bring both aboard. I want to see who decides to message me, look at their responses, then make that determination together. I hear what you're saying.
Ah, I see what you mean. Part of my motive for asking is that I think perhaps some people might be put off from responding seriously if they can do some skills but not other skills (I have this problem myself in real life).

Offline The Shadow Man

• Antediluvian
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2018, 10:18:25 PM »

Oh, their reputation proceeds them though I know them only from reputation as I'm pretty new here in the grand scheme of things. Welcome back even though I wasn't even here when you last were by the sound of things.

* Game Files