collapse

Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: MoTW - March 26 2007 - Wesp5  (Read 3005 times)

Offline [archive] Javokis

• Antediluvian
Re: MoTW - March 26 2007 - Wesp5
« on: March 26, 2007, 03:47:00 PM »
  • Best Answer
  •                 Well finally finished the interview with Wesp5. Here ya' go:
     Javokis: Where do you live?

Wesp5: I live in Munich, which is in Bavaria which is in Germany. I was born in Cologne which is another beautiful german city and moved to Munich to work at the Ludwig-Maximilian university here.

Javokis: So english is your second language?

Wesp5: Yes. I learned the basics in school but as my first computer was the Sinclair ZX Spectrum I got used to read and write English pretty early. I hope it's not too bad wink .

Javokis: What all languages do you know?

Wesp5: Besides German and English I don't know any other foreign language. I had Latin at school but forgot all of it and at the university I once had a French course but forgot that as well.

Javokis: What do you do at the university?

Wesp5: I'm an analytical chemist in the field of mass spectrometry. That means I analyze sample substances other scientists bring me, keep the instruments working and even hold a lecture about the method for students. Maybe the whole analytical background made me so sensitive for wrong things in Bloodlines or unused stuff that could be fitted in wink .

Javokis: How long have you owned the Bloodlines game?

Wesp5: Since early 2005 I guess. I'm more of a FPS player and not so much into RPGs, so I tried Bloodlines mostly because it uses the Source engine. I'm a big fan of Half-Life but was rather disappointed by HL2, and I was curious how another game would use that engine. I was pleasantly surprised by the FPS/RPG hybrid aspects of Bloodlines and the size of the game itself compared to the very linear HL2. I even tried Oblivion in the aftermath, only to discover that completely open RPGs are not my thing.

Javokis: What did you like most about Bloodlines?

Wesp5: Everything wink ! Okay, especially it's the story and the world in which it plays out. Everything seems consistent, connected and alive and the ending was one of the best I ever experienced. The whole game made sense in the end with only some things here and there unresolved to keep the player curious. I liked being able to talk to people in a natural and humorous way. I liked to have gameplay choices without the level being obviously constructed for these like e.g. in Deus Ex.

Javokis: Are you familiar with the World of Darkness Pen and Paper game?

Wesp5: No. I never played it or the first WOD computer game Redemption and didn't know about it before I played Bloodlines. I played a german PnP RPG in my youth but stopped playing one day because there was too much emphasis on stats instead of story. That's another great thing about Bloodlines. Stats don't matter much as does the tedious inventory management in other games. The story and the gameplay itself matter!

Javokis: How long have you been making patches for Bloodlines?

Wesp5: I began about two years ago in March 2005 after Dan Upright included a fix that broke the game for me. I asked him to remove it but he told me he wouldn't do any more patches and wouldn't mind "passing the torch". So that's the way it all started happy .

Javokis: Have you done any similar works for other games?

Wesp5: I already did my first patching on the Atari ST with the game "Star Raiders". It annoyed me that the stars were moving and so I stopped them wink . After that I created "Midimaze Plus" with my brother which was an updated version of the famous multiplayer game on the ST. Compared to the similar "Midimaze II" one could already see that I like to be close to the orginal and to maintain the feeling. Contrary to what some people think this was always my intention for Bloodlines as well.

Later on the PC I did the "Theme Doom Patch" which turned Doom into a kind of Alien vs Predator vs Terminator with Marines and Synthetics included in the mix. I'm quite proud of that although there never were many levels made for it because I wasn't into mapping myself. I also did some smaller patches for Duke Nukem 3D, Quake and Jedi Knight.

Then I moved on to the Half-Life series for which I did the Half-Life: Uplink Addon, the Gunman Chronicles Demo Addon, the Gunman Chronicles: Pistol Addon, the Opposing Force: Aliens Addon and the Counter-Strike: Training Addon. Most of these were just patches to include demo or training levels or unused stuff found in the games but I already fixed some continuity issues which annoyed me in Gunman Chronicles, e.g. that you had no weapon at the start or were flying alone in one dropship. Restoring unused content was always an important thing for my Bloodlines patches too and restoring Yukie to the endgame for 3.5 was the biggest thing on that regard that I've done yet.

After Opposing Force and Blue Shift were released I got the idea that it would be cool to play as an alien. Because I wasn't into mapping still, I used the great editor QuArK to change the great defunct mod "HL: Chronicles - Episode 1" to give the impression you are an alien grunt. The result I called "Half-Life: Xen Warrior", which is in my eyes much more consistent and better fitting into the HL series than the similar mod "Point of view". After that is was Bloodlines only happy !

Javokis: Are you taking or have schooling on programming or are you self-taught?

Wesp5: I'm completely self-taught, I never programmed anything other than Sinclair basic and GFA basic for the ST years ago. Luckily for me Python scripting is easy to understand and from there on it's trial and error.

Javokis: What are your long-term plans for Bloodlines patches?

Wesp5: I have no long-term plans, I always hope that the patch I've just done is the last wink . Then soon after release new issues come up that I can fix and I continue. At least I think with 3.5 there will be not much left, but I guess I thought that already several times over wink ...

Javokis: Does the idea of an upcoming MMO of WOD interest you?

Wesp5: No. I'm not interested in MMOs at all because I haven't got the time for them and no broadband at home anyway. Also while I think Bloodlines is one of the best games ever, not much connects me to the WOD and even less to Requiem that followed.

Javokis: So what do you do when you're not patching up Bloodlines?

Wesp5: I play other games, mostly FPS but since Bloodlines I'm looking at RPGs as well. I tried Oblivion but didn't really like it and judging from the comments on the net STALKER isn't something for me either. I need a compelling storyline and think the middle ground between free form and complete linearity is the best, like done in Bloodlines. When I'm not playing games I read a lot of science fiction and I was a bit of a Star Wars fan in my youth (EP4-EP5) and a Babylon 5 fan when I was older (Seasons 1-4). I liked the original TOS for what it started but never thought much about all the later ST reincarnations or the contemporary remake of BSG. Compared to the great storyline and consistent universe of Babylon 5 they pale altogether! Besides all this stuff I used to play Badminton and dance a little bit of Hip-Hop but sadly I haven't done this for some time.

This was an interview between two coders. Not much personal stuff comes out of this, mostly technical stuff.                        

-----signature-----
               "There's nothing wrong with horses dicks, there's nothing wrong with sucking horses dicks." -Signo

Offline [archive] Warlock1234

• Methuselah
    « Reply #1 on: March 26, 2007, 04:07:00 PM »
  • Best Answer
  •                 nice.

I wonder what reaction your job description in people you just met causes, Wesp5?

and
     regarding stalker.  great game.                        

-----signature-----

Offline [archive] Vongetta

• Antediluvian
    « Reply #2 on: March 27, 2007, 12:45:00 AM »
  • Best Answer
  •                 Lovely. Would have been great if it had more personal elements in it though..the interview that is. Nice to know the man behind the patches happy  .                        

-----signature-----
               "Only the insane equate pain with success." - Cheshire Cat, American McGee's Alice
     Currently playing: Samantha James - Rain

Offline [archive] ElGostro

• Antediluvian
    « Reply #3 on: March 27, 2007, 03:40:00 AM »
  • Best Answer
  •                 Her canines she be bearing!                        

Offline [archive] Wesp5

• Antediluvian
    « Reply #4 on: March 27, 2007, 04:52:00 AM »
  • Best Answer
  •                 In Reply To #2

Warlock 42283596 posted:

I wonder what reaction your job description in people you just met causes, Wesp5?

Normally I just say that I work at an university in the chemistry department. Anything else most people won't understand anyway wink . But BTW, at the start of HL there is talk about an "antimatter mass spectrometer".

regarding stalker.  great game.

Really? Seems like an ordinary military shooter with some RPG elements to me, with no storyline or quests or settings or dialogues to even come close to Bloodlines. And I had high hopes for that one sad ...                        

• Methuselah
    « Reply #5 on: March 27, 2007, 05:25:00 AM »
  • Best Answer
  •                 stalker is not an rpg.
     there is leveling up unfortunately.
     it is more like deus ex without increasing the skills.

there is a decent storyline with multiply endings.
     you can talk with people and have interesting conversation. not too often though.
     and the atmosphere.
     i am still outside the city. but forgotten factories, bus station where i hide to recover from radiation was falling apart. anomalies everywhere and if you are not careful you are dead, make great atmosphere of being in wrong place on a wrong time.

but it is not rpg, it is not bloodlines. seek a friend and borrow copy and check it (or dl and if you like it buy legal version)                        

-----signature-----

Offline [archive] markcocjin

• Fledgling
    « Reply #6 on: March 27, 2007, 08:00:00 AM »
  • Best Answer
  •                 In Reply To #5

I really think you should look into coding a Bloodlines Multiplayer into Half-Life 2 if it's even possible.  Bloodlines has so much unappreciated assets like the maps and models that a whole lot of people into gaming has never seen simply because they got turned off by RPGs.  All that work.  No more follow up.  Troika disbanding really made me sad.

Offline [archive] Wesp5

• Antediluvian
    « Reply #7 on: March 27, 2007, 08:22:00 AM »
  • Best Answer
  •                 In Reply To #6

Warlock 42283596 posted:

there is a decent storyline with multiply endings.
     you can talk with people and have interesting conversation. not too often though.
     and the atmosphere.

Well the people in comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action commented a lot and even spoiled the story for me after I asked wink . The latter one looks just like a lot of technobabble for a background to me, with nothing like what is going on behind Bloodlines. I saw the endings on YouTube and they didn't do much for me either. Most of the dialogue doesn't has sound and most of the NPCs look the same, the quests as well as a lot of enemies respawn all over. Regarding the atmosphere it's all depressing ruins and similar, not the cool night life of Bloodlines. So I think I'll pass...                        

• Methuselah
    « Reply #8 on: March 27, 2007, 09:01:00 AM »
  • Best Answer
  •                 hehe.
     I am not going to force you with a torch. Germany is too far away.                        

-----signature-----

Offline [archive] Umnir

• Antediluvian
    « Reply #9 on: July 03, 2007, 07:58:00 PM »
  • Best Answer
  •                 In Reply To #3

Valoris posted:

Lovely. Would have been great if it had more personal elements in it though..the interview that is. Nice to know the man behind the patches happy  .

Agreed with that. Good interview otherwise.                        

-----signature-----
               It's an animal thing

Offline [archive] RakishAzrael

• Antediluvian
    MoTW - March 26 2007 - Wesp5
    « Reply #10 on: July 03, 2007, 09:40:00 PM »
                    In Reply To #10

*starts to grab torch and pitchfork to kill the necromancer, then realizes its Umnir just home from the bars and sits back down*

you lovable drunk you...                        

-----signature-----

~Becuase 300,000 screaming fans can't be wrong~    

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal