collapse

Author Topic: MotW for 20 August 2006 - Signothorn  (Read 3143 times)

Offline [archive] Signothorn

• Antediluvian
Re: MotW for 20 August 2006 - Signothorn
« on: August 20, 2006, 07:53:00 PM »
  • Best Answer
  •                 The following interview was conducted Sunday, August 20th 2006.  I have provided clarification in (italics) where necessary.

INTRO AND BACKGROUND

Skyra to Hollow: Thanks for agreeing to do this interview.  First off, could you tell me a little bit about where you are right now?  That is, what kind of things can you see, hear, smell, etc.?

Signothorn: Lol, okay. I'm at home in my computer room and all I hear is my cat jumping all over the place like a maniac. There is a faint smell of Diet Mountain Dew in the room.

Skyra to Hollow: Faint smell?  Did somebody spill some, or do you just live next door to the factory?

Signothorn: If I lived next to the factory I would never ever sleep, lol. No, there's just an open can next to me. I'm in Virginia BTW

Skyra to Hollow: Where in Virginia?

Signothorn: Northern Virginia, about 20 minutes from Washington DC, give or take a couple hours with traffic.

Skyra to Hollow: Hehe, I hear DC is the single worst city in the U.S. when it comes to traffic.  Did you grow up in that area?

Signothorn: No, I moved here when I was about 14. I've also lived in Ohio, WV and Wisconsin. Traffic is a nightmare here during rush hour. You'd better have a few good cd's to listen to if there's ever a wreck on 495 (I-495, aka "The Beltway"). Luckily, I work about 10 minutes from my house

Skyra to Hollow: I seem to remember reading about some of your adventures at the...Staples?

Signothorn: Office Depot. Yeah. I have had some adventures with shoplifters and internal thieves. Some good times:P

Skyra to Hollow: Was it anything like the shenanigans shown on The 40 Year Old Virgin?

Signothorn: It's funny you mention that movie. My dad bought it for me last christmas and I still haven't watched it, though he asks me if I've seen it every time we talk. The theme of almost every "adventure" in my retail environment is how stupid thieves really are, though they give their maximum effort. I'm not a brain surgeon by any means but it's pretty easy to stop them with common sense. The only time I get burned is when I trust people too much because I tend to make friends with the people whom I work with because I believe we all work as a team. I'm "the cool boss" and sometimes it comes back to bite me in the ass.

Skyra to Hollow: Is there any particular reason you've moved around as much as you have?  And how did you end up in northern Virginia?

Signothorn: Yeah, my parents divorced when I was about 3, I had step parents and it was hard for me to cope. I subconsciously tried to get attention from my parents by getting into fights or general trouble at school and playing my parents against my step-parents. Typical stuff for someone in my situation. Eventually, my grandmother had to take me in so I wouldn't be thrown into foster care. I'm grateful she did and I'm also grateful my family has forgiven me and we have great relations now.

Skyra to Hollow: Did that have any affect on your schooling?

Signothorn: Yeah, I was expelled from my Jr. High in Ohio and when I moved to VA I was in public schools for a while but continued fighting and got put into the alternative school system.

Skyra to Hollow: Sounds pretty rough.  How did that affect your outlook on life, and your interests?

Signothorn: My interests at that time was probably to see how far I could sink. I didn't care, I hated my life and didn't see a future. I was fascinated with the darker side of life and wanted to see what hell felt like. I felt it. It wasn't until I got out of school when I hit bottom and was going to end my life. I was over 18 then and if I got into a fight I would be sent to jail with people who could do far worse to me than I could to them. I wasn't really that tough, I just liked to fight. If someone looked at me wrong while I was in school, I didn't care how big they were, I'd attack them. However, I chickened out with the suicide thing or whatever and decided if I wasn't going to die I had to completely change my life and how I lived it. I had to sacrifice almost all of my friends and start completely over. There is no short answer to that question, sorry. Today, things are much different. I love my family, my friends are the greatest and I've had the same job for over seven years. I still have symptoms of my earlier problems now and again but I have the determination I will never allow myself to go back to my old way of thinking. I'm still kinda shy and introverted but I push myself to be otherwise because I
     know it's unhealthy for me. I enjoy helping people and the satisfaction that goes with it is validation.

Skyra to Hollow: Where would you like to you see yourself in 5 years?

Signothorn: I'm really interested in the stock market now. As far as employment goes, I'm about done with retail. I've had alot of fun and have no regrets but the upper management environment doesn't interest me. It gets to the point when people above you are reluctant to help you because their own name is attached to their decision-maning. They cover their own asses and fire people who make little mistakes to preserve their own asses. My current store manager is much like Sebastian LaCriox, which is why I never side with him when playing Bloodlines. I want to be more social and maybe within 5 years get married but there are no takers so far. I'd really like to trade stocks for a living.

Skyra to Hollow: You mentioned getting married.  Do you have somebody in particular in mind?

Signothorn: No, not yet. I'm not even dating anyone currently. Luckily, I have friends who are more extroverted than I am and they help me become more social. They encourage me to date but I've been living to work for many years now and I haven't really tried in a while. I feel sometimes like I'll blow it because of my low self confidence at times and my use of humor to compensate. I can see myself getting cozy with a lady and when things "get going" I say something stupid from Bloodlines like "those of you in the first few rows wil get wet...." I don't want that to happen.

Skyra to Hollow: lol, if I was a girl, that might seem kinda odd and a little funny, but hardly a turn-off.  But that's just me.

WORLD OF DARKNESS

Skyra to Hollow: Speaking of which...how, when, and where did you first get involved in the World of Darkness?

Signothorn: Nice segway, lol. A friend and I were getting drunk at a Bennigan's restaurant and we started talking about our favorite vampire movies. He then tried to tell me a little about the masquerade. I remembered little of that the next day but a week or so later I found Redemption on a shelf at Best Buy. When I saw the names "Brujah" and "Toreador" I kinda remembered our conversation and and the overall game seemed pretty cool from the box. I purchased it so I could tell that friend about it and get him interested. I loved the game instantly and I proceeded to play the SP over and over. I also frequently used search engines to see if there was a potential sequel in the works. One day I got lucky and the info on Bloodlines was released. On the same page of
     results Dilapidation was listed and I joined. The rest is history. I love vampire movies and I love discussing them. They just seem so fascinating. Also, I really enjoy the community here and what we have going at PV.

Skyra to Hollow: What aspect of vampires (or Kindred, in particular) do you find the most compelling?

Signothorn: The inner conflicts, fighting with humanity when you are supposedly free from it. Also the lyrics from the Godsmack track "Vampires" explains it well. Immortality is great to humans in premise but what meaning does it really have when you are in torment? So many conflicts but the powers kick ass.

Skyra to Hollow: Very well spoken.  How would you describe the life of the online vampire community in the years you've been involved?

Signothorn: So many people from so many walks of life. So many diverse perspectives and I learn alot from it, even when I disagree. As in any forum, or IRL, there are people you are closer to than others but I like how most of the people here don't stay andgry and the "OMFG you newb!!!" stuff is at a minimum. Our overall humor at PV tends to be dark humor, which I like, though general silliness is great too. As soon as things start getting calm again, somebody new shows up or someone from long ago comes back (Like MC)  to stir things up again. I won't lie, I hate stagnation and lack of change. If the forums are stagnant, I'll intentionally push buttons to get people talking.

COMMUNITY AND THE FUTURE

Skyra to Hollow: What do you see in the community's future?

Signothorn: Though I have doubts about what MC suggested about WW having a Requiem game in the works, it would be nice. I'm not familiar with Requiem or it's difference from the Masquerade and from the overall traffic in the Requiem forum, it doesn't look as though many care for it.  Our base here is strong and as long as we have people making mods and we have things to talk about, things will remain strong in the near future. I feel the long-term future depends somewhat on the release of a new game. Also, a forum upgrade would be nice. I'm sure we are in agreement on that.

Skyra to Hollow: Do you think the community would be as supportive of a Requiem title as it has been of past Masquerade titles?

Signothorn: If there is multi-player capabilities and an SDK then yes, abso-freaking-lutely. I'm always amazed when I see the creative minds here at work. Anything is possible if the people here have the right tools at their disposal. If we aren't talking about the developers of the game developers of a new game we would undoubtedly have alot to talk about regardless. That last sentence didn't make sense. I wrote developers twice

Skyra to Hollow: Hehe...I was thinking the same thing.  We'll clean it up before publishing.  Would you like to restate what you meant?

Signothorn:  If we aren't talking about the developers of the new game, we would undoubtedly still have alot to talk about.

Skyra to Hollow: How important do you think multi-player and an SDK is to the continued prosperity of the community?

Signothorn: Alot. When you get down to it, we spend just as much time in the forums talking about the newest patches from Wesp, mods created by posters and inspired artwork based on the game from our many talented people here. That's just as important, if not moreso IMO. My grammar today is like that of Courtney Love on a weekend meth binge.

Skyra to Hollow: Don't disrespect meth like that.

Signothorn: lol..

Skyra to Hollow: Are there any aspects of the community, PlanetVampire, or White Wolf games in general that you would like to see changed or improved?

Signothorn: I wouldn't change anything about the community, it rocks. The issues with PV are really the much needed overhaul of the forums. Our smileys suck ass and there's nothing we can do about it. I also like the reputation options in some forums. None of these things however are in our control. As for White-Wolf, another game would be nice but I was never a PNP player so I don't really know enough about the structure of it as well as many people here so I really don't have any comment on it.

Skyra to Hollow: Is there anything else that you would like to state, clarify, or comment on?

Signothorn: No, I think I've really said enough here. When I start typing my filter is off and looking at all the text I'm thinking; "Holy shit, I talked alot". However, I meant everything I've said in the interview and don't need anything edited. I'm just thankful of the community here and look forward to a bright future for all at PV.

Skyra to Hollow: Awesome.  Thanks a lot for taking the time to share your thoughts.

Signothorn: Your welcome and thanks for letting me be a part of everything here.                        

-----signature-----
               Regards,
     Skyra to Hollow
     Site Director, www.PlanetVampire.com

Offline [archive] MooCHa2

• Antediluvian
    « Reply #1 on: August 20, 2006, 08:17:00 PM »
  • Best Answer
  •                 Pretty cool interview. I enjoyed it.

Thanks for being truthful. Otherwise I would have sent the boys round.

Regards...                        

Offline [archive] xJugGaL0KiDx

• Fledgling
    « Reply #2 on: August 21, 2006, 04:34:00 AM »
  • Best Answer
  •                 Nice knowing a little bit about the mods of the site.                        

Offline [archive] Year_of_the_Scarab

• Ancillus
    « Reply #3 on: August 21, 2006, 06:54:00 AM »
  • Best Answer
  •                
    Skyra to Hollow posted:

Signothorn: (...) That last sentence didn't make sense. I wrote developers twice

Skyra to Hollow: (...) We'll clean it up before publishing.

And you didn't. Nice job setting up your fellow moderator *snickers*

Yeah, yeah, I know.

peace                        

• Antediluvian
    « Reply #4 on: August 21, 2006, 10:19:00 AM »
  • Best Answer
  •                 In Reply To #4

I have poor grammar/spelling IRL, there's no use in hiding it                        

Offline [archive] Skyra_to_Hollow

• Antediluvian
    « Reply #5 on: August 21, 2006, 10:06:00 PM »
  • Best Answer
  •                 In Reply To #4
     Heh...smartass.  At first I did plan to clean it up, but then Sig said this toward the very end:

Signothorn posted:
    Signothorn: No, I think I've really said enough here. When I start typing my filter is off and looking at all the text I'm thinking; "Holy shit, I talked alot". However, I meant everything I've said in the interview and don't need anything edited. I'm just thankful of the community here and look forward to a bright future for all at PV.

Just trying to respect his wishes                        

-----signature-----
               Regards,
     Skyra to Hollow
     Site Director, www.PlanetVampire.com

• Antediluvian
    « Reply #6 on: August 26, 2006, 06:46:00 AM »
  • Best Answer
  •                 In Reply To #7

Why thank you, Cyril.                        

Offline [archive] tildessmoo

• Ancillus
    « Reply #7 on: August 29, 2006, 03:38:00 AM »
  • Best Answer
  •                 I really like the choices so far for interviews; Signothorn was great for the third installment.  I can't wait to see who finishes out the month!                        

-----signature-----
               Christ on crutches! ('Cause he slipped on the anointing oil!)    

• Antediluvian
    « Reply #8 on: June 26, 2008, 12:23:00 AM »
  • Best Answer

Offline [archive] MasterCyril_VIMajor

• Methuselah
    MotW for 20 August 2006 - Signothorn
    « Reply #9 on: June 26, 2008, 09:56:00 PM »
                    Signothorn you know you have asked why I want your email for the site and for the game iam working on. It's not simply for the game we have talked in the past, you posted on my site once, and I have developed trust and respect for you. It is why I let you talk to one of my gf's online. If I didn't trust you I would not have let that. So consider emailing me so we can talk here and there.

Cyril