collapse

Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Suggestion for first tabletop game ever?  (Read 454 times)

Offline Barabbah

• Methuselah
Suggestion for first tabletop game ever?
« on: August 28, 2018, 07:07:13 PM »
I've never played any pen and paper rpg ever, only on my pc (and singleplayer....)
I wanted to start with Vampire (<3) but I've not the slightest idea on how to spending points (always let any game I was playing do it) and which kind of vampire to start with. I wnat to make a good impression on my friends. Any suggestion (clan/bloodlines, strategies, stuff like that)? Thanky in advance :3

The sarcophagus is a lie!

Offline page

• Fledgling
Re: Suggestion for first tabletop game ever?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2018, 08:26:29 AM »
It's been some time, but maybe you'll find it useful.

I always started with establishing who my characters were as mortals, first and foremost. I wanted them to be relatively fleshed out, balanced, interesting and real. Especially that couple of times we played as mere mortals dropped in the World of Darkness, which I recommend. We had our histories, families, jobs; RL problems and quirks. Even an Average Joe isn't exactly "average" once you flesh out his motivations, dreams and fears, some of them subconscious.

The Embrace was experience one of a kind: not only it changes the person forever, but also defies all laws of life and death, possibly shattering the worldview and distorting it to unimaginable degrees.

With a relatable and realistic human character at hand it's easier to predict how the Embrace would affect his psyche. And then, in turn, what kind of vampire would he become. So I would spend some time at his background first. Grab a coffee, take your time, consider his motivations - what drives him in the unlife?

I loved looking for Answers as a vampire. We thought that CWoD is too crowded with info, sucking all the fun from discovering origins and machinations of the Kindred in the ages past. It's better to have a broad outline, just a few strokes about Cain and clans, and let the players find out more.

TL;DR
Avoid playing difficult clans at first (Malkavian, Tzimisce, Setites etc., try Toreador or something along these lines).
Don't let the stereotypes (especially clan stereotypes) flatten your character.
Think hard on your past and look at your character as if he was an ordinary man at first... a man who went through a hellish and mysterious process to get here.

Offline Barabbah

• Methuselah
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2018, 09:23:06 AM »
Thanky! Then I'll go for a human (a ghoul maybe?) or a toreador. Isn't hard to learn spending points wisely (the only thing I know is I'm not forced to spend them as I get one)

Offline Rubinia

• Encharmed by chimes
  • Ancillus
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2018, 06:41:36 PM »
As for Discipline chooses, look through them briefly and try to determine which seems the coolest to you. This way I've chosen Gangrel once because of Animalism and aversion to being ugly. It was an oneshoot session, though. In my opinion Obfuscate is cool and Animalism is really handy.
If you play as Camarilla vamps, you're limited to "Cammy clans" i.e. playable in Bloodlines (Brujah, Gangrel, Nosferatu, Malcavian, Torreador, Tremere, Ventrue), if the scenerio is about Sabbath you get to some more. Albeit it's presumably possible to ask the game master if you could play something unusual.
If you are going to play 100% rules, costs of stats improvement grows considerably with each dot. So, if you take time and study all Disciplines your vamp-of-choose has, remember you're extremely unlikely to fully develop the potential.
There's handy "small-cheat" to stat distribution. Because 3rd, 4th and so on dot in everything is so much costly, you may try and optimize by giving as much as possible dots here and but one there. Supposedly the Dexterity is a very good choice for a high stat.
Disciplines: Potence, Celerity, Fortitude add dice to your rolls. Might be valuable.
You can always roll your stats completely, distribute stats randomly, and see what kind of character you come up with :) I've done a perfect Malk private detective once :)
I'd definitely choose a vamp if I were you, as I believe mortals are whimpy and ghouls are addicts. I never played neither of the last two, though.

"Having created something so extraordinary one would die happy, if one died."

"One is the path of a man, straight and plain: the never ending Crossroads."

Offline deicide

• Ancillus
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2018, 03:43:50 AM »
Thanky! Then I'll go for a human (a ghoul maybe?) or a toreador. Isn't hard to learn spending points wisely (the only thing I know is I'm not forced to spend them as I get one)
I would strongly advice against ghoul for a novice, it's completely different from RPing a vamp and, in general, requires more experience with VtM. The clan does not matter much, just pick the one (or even a rare bloodline) you're attracted the most for any reason or without, get the books and do a research. Played a Tzimisce the first time, Lasombra then, with great results, both characters are among the best from my roster and still around. The both clans are considered a no-no for a novice, Lasombra in particular, to the point some storytellers banning Lasombra for casual players outright, which had nearly happened to me as well, however I threatened to punch the ST in the face so ultimately was able to proceed as intended. Felt really insulted by not being allowed to play a character whom I've designed for months.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 04:24:47 AM by deicide »

Offline Barabbah

• Methuselah
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2018, 08:52:07 PM »
Okay, no ghouls and complicated clans
both clans are considered a no-no for a novice, Lasombra in particular, to the point some storytellers banning Lasombra for casual players outright, which had nearly happened to me as well, however I threatened to punch the ST in the face so ultimately was able to proceed as intended.
:rofl: :rofl:

Offline deicide

• Ancillus
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2018, 04:10:45 AM »
Just ask ahead if indending to play such, that will solve the potential problem as well. As for ghouls, myself prefer them as secondary player characters, unless the story is specifically tailored for them it won't be as fun as playing a full-on bloodsucker. Like, each player leads both their own character and someone's else ghoul.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 04:14:24 AM by deicide »

Offline Barabbah

• Methuselah
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2018, 06:54:57 AM »
Thanky!
Just ankther curiosity: have you ever read "Dudes Of Legend"? The funniest rulebook I've ever read :rofl:

Offline deicide

• Ancillus
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2018, 09:07:39 AM »
Not a fan of their supplements so did not know of its existence. Thanks, would pick it some day, seems like a trash that could be funny.

The most over the top character I've ever played was a former pharm corporation CEO who turned to ecoterrorism, inspired by the actual GlaxoSmithKline CEO, the company infamous for Paroxetine marketing, children included, no less. If you think that fluoxetine for kids was over the line (c), wait 'till you hear this... Sure, it does not cause a severe withdrawal syndrome. So, in WoD the (Humanity 5) dude who did this was ultimately fired for not being ruthless enough.
In a twist of irony, in mortal life he got his wife murdered by provoking an ecoterrorist organisation, for the reason that she was going to sue him for divorce money, after his settlement offer that was more than generous was rejected by her.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2018, 08:06:28 AM by deicide »

Offline deicide

• Ancillus
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2018, 01:25:17 PM »
An update, just picked up a free version, guess I got what you were hinting at: the ST I've mentioned mistook me for one of examples from this book incoming: a dreaded friggin' awesome Mary Sue, because I wasn't aware of such a gamewrecker fame of clan Lasombra at time so did not tell of my concept beforehand, which should have set everything clear.
Right, I was so naive back then that was taking it for given that each player either has a well-developed concept on hand or does not participate at all.

Just a thought, if you're insistent on playing a supportive/social role and mostly watching others do the fighting, I could recommend Salubri, the clan of neo-hippie healers instead of a ghoul. They're easy to play for a complete beginner from mechanics perspective and quite forgiving for mistakes due to the ultimate proprietary defensive/supportive clan discipline. They're notoriously hard to take down, and they're 8-th gen or lower. Useful for a party enough even in the hands of a first-timers if built in a standard way.
The catch: they're not just Sabbat, canonically considered worse than Tzimisce creations by cammies thanks to the damn judeomasonic Tremere. Still, you could ask a ST to tweak the canon a bit, so this lie was either uncovered or better, never existed in the first place.
Tremere are canonically distrusted by everyone so would unlikely convince anyone in supposed vileness of a clan so rare clan that almost no one had ever seen them, for that reason myself just dropped such a far-fetched part of the canon. Besides, a traditionally high humanity clan (usually 8 for a freshly embraced) would ceratainly fit a Camarilla campaign easier than Sabbat.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 05:47:46 AM by deicide »

Offline Barabbah

• Methuselah
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2018, 09:51:15 AM »
An update, just picked up a free version, guess I got what you were hinting at: the ST I've mentioned mistook me for one of examples from this book incoming: a dreaded friggin' awesome Mary Sue, because I wasn't aware of such a gamewrecker fame of clan Lasombra at time so did not tell of my concept beforehand, which should have set everything clear.
Right, I was so naive back then that was taking it for given that each player either has a well-developed concept on hand or does not participate at all.

I didn't know I was hinting something! It was just a bit of conversation  :rofl:

* Game Files