collapse

* Notice

Important notice: From 20/12/2017 (after a server change) Microsoft had been blocking email from PlanetVampire.com. If you have a Hotmail, Outlook, or Live.com email address (or have been trying to message a member with such an email address) your messages might not have got through. You may also have been unable to receive password reset/activation emails. As of 31/01/2018: our server's new IP address, previously used by a spammer, has been unblocked. You may wish to try again if you have been having problems.

Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Now Available: Beckett's Jyhad Diary!  (Read 289 times)

Offline IanW

• Methuselah
  • Onyx Path Community Manager
    • Onyx Path Publishing
Now Available: Beckett's Jyhad Diary!
« on: January 11, 2018, 03:15:54 PM »
http://theonyxpath.com/now-available-v20-becketts-jyhad-diary/

It’s ever been a loaded word among vampires. Jyhad is in force everywhere from lofty, perfumed Elysium to cloying, smoke-filled blood feasts. Jyhad’s the eternal game played by elders, Methuselahs, and worse — it’s the agenda of beings so utterly beyond humanity, one such as yourself could scarcely understand its movements.

Luckily for you, you’ve picked up a copy of my diary. With my help you may just take a step on the first rung of understanding. Information worth having is information you must earn through blood, and oh, how I’ve bled for what’s contained within these pages.

— Beckett

Beckett’s Jyhad Diary serves as the definitive book of setting and plot for Vampire: The Masquerade, containing 30 chapters spanning different geographical regions, encountering vampires of every clan, profiling obscure and profound segments of the mythology, and providing countless story hooks on every page.

Masterfully written by the likes of Neall Raemonn Price, Joshua Alan Doetsch, Myranda Sarro, Steffie de Vaan, Malcolm Sheppard, Alan Alexander, Renee Knipe, and Matthew Dawkins, Beckett’s Jyhad Diary is as fascinating to read as to use for your game Chronicles.

This stunning full-colour book is 559 pages, which is longer than the V20 rulebook itself! Those pages are bursting to overflowing with references to characters, locations, and events spanning the entire 27-year history of Vampire: The Masquerade, including material from the VTM Redemption and VTM Bloodlines PC games.

In two chapters, Beckett returns to LA following the events of Bloodlines. Locations he visits include the Santa Monica beach, the newly-reopened Ocean View Hotel, the New Asylum club, and the Hallowbrook Hotel. Some familiar names include Anarch leader Rodriguez, Damsel, Smiling Jack, and Mitnick. Side references to stuff like LaCroix, Strauss, and the Golden Temple.

If you're a Redemption fan, elsewhere in the book Beckett talks with "Catherine Weiss" (Ecaterina the Wise) and Christof.

We poured a lot into this book, and really hope you like it.

Ian A. A. Watson
Onyx Path Community Manager
VTM portal - Tabletop primer

Offline J3ster

• Neonate
Re: Now Available: Beckett's Jyhad Diary!
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2018, 03:04:58 PM »
Well, I've skimmed through the book just to see how connected it is to the videogame, turns out not so much. If I remember correctly VTMB was released posthumously to oWoD, yet the ingame continuity was established as canon, except it was never mentioned in any of the source material, because, y'know, oWoD was killed.

The book seemed to me like it was a bit too epistolary (where are my tables?) and too, ehh... narrative driven? Lot's of characters make appearances, and a pretty extensive knowledge of metaplot  isrequired to fully enjoy the book.

I'm not sure how useful it's to someone who actually runs the games, but both people interested in metaplot or WoD fiction will most likely enjoy this book. The art is alright too.

Whose idea was it to name Rodriguez "Armando"?

Offline IanW

• Methuselah
  • Onyx Path Community Manager
    • Onyx Path Publishing
Re: Now Available: Beckett's Jyhad Diary!
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2018, 09:30:01 PM »
Whose idea was it to name Rodriguez "Armando"?

IIRC at one stage of the writing there was uncertainty as to how far we could delve into using Bloodlines characters, since they're Activision's property. One compromise was including "Armando Rodriguez" who may or may not be the same person as Nines. Armando is the first name of the actor who played Nines, so it felt right.
Ian A. A. Watson
Onyx Path Community Manager
VTM portal - Tabletop primer

* Game Files