collapse

Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Disciplines with No symbols  (Read 90 times)

Offline The Shadow Man

• Methuselah
Disciplines with No symbols
« on: August 30, 2017, 01:35:28 AM »
Kai, Deimos, Bardo, Striga, Kinecticism, Rift, Maleficia, Nihilistics and quiet a few of the Blood Magics don't seem to have a Discipline symbol. I know many of these are considered defunct or moved into other things but even so, seems odd.

If they do have symbols; what are they and if not does anyone have or know of any custom symbols for these Disciplines? Just curious is all.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 01:37:34 AM by The Shadow Man »

This is the darkness. This is my domain. Surrounded by little things that live in the light, clinging to feeble fires, which die in the end. Only the darkness remains.

Offline IanW

• Ancillus
  • Onyx Path Community Manager
    • Onyx Path Publishing
Re: Disciplines with No symbols
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2017, 12:28:29 PM »
Kai, Deimos, Bardo, Striga, Kinecticism, Rift, Maleficia, Nihilistics and quiet a few of the Blood Magics don't seem to have a Discipline symbol. I know many of these are considered defunct or moved into other things but even so, seems odd.

If they do have symbols; what are they and if not does anyone have or know of any custom symbols for these Disciplines? Just curious is all.

Symbols were originally created for Vampire: The Eternal Struggle (VTES), the Vampire card game. For example, here:

I can tell at a glance that Vidal has access to basic-level Auspex, Celerity, Obfuscate, Potence, and advanced-level Presence.

The reason some Disciplines don't have symbols is simple: those Disciplines never appeared in VTES, so there was never a need. Discipline symbols have never been used in the tabletop RPG, so any new Disciplines which appear in a book aren't going to get a symbol unless that Discipline makes its way over to VTES. VTES has been out of production since 2010, although rumour has it that White Wolf is bringing it back.

Ian A. A. Watson
Onyx Path Community Manager
VTM portal - Tabletop primer

Offline The Shadow Man

• Methuselah
Re: Disciplines with No symbols
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2017, 02:47:26 PM »
Symbols were originally created for Vampire: The Eternal Struggle (VTES), the Vampire card game. For example, here:

I can tell at a glance that Vidal has access to basic-level Auspex, Celerity, Obfuscate, Potence, and advanced-level Presence.

The reason some Disciplines don't have symbols is simple: those Disciplines never appeared in VTES, so there was never a need. Discipline symbols have never been used in the tabletop RPG, so any new Disciplines which appear in a book aren't going to get a symbol unless that Discipline makes its way over to VTES. VTES has been out of production since 2010, although rumour has it that White Wolf is bringing it back.

I see thanks for the info, makes sense that they would use symbols to show Disciplines on the cards. It also explains why Vampire: the Requiem doesn't have symbols for its Disciplines.
This is the darkness. This is my domain. Surrounded by little things that live in the light, clinging to feeble fires, which die in the end. Only the darkness remains.

* Game Files