collapse

Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Widescreen resolution stretched hud fix  (Read 4464 times)

Offline QUAKE

• Fledgling
Widescreen resolution stretched hud fix
« on: July 25, 2014, 11:20:49 am »
Hello, I recently started this game (first playthrough) with 9.0 patch, full with extras.

Everything is great, but the stretched hud elements were starting to annoy me a bit.

I looked up the SDK that came with the patch, and it got me curious to see if the idea of fixing the hud is possible by vertically stretching the existing textures so they would look 'correct' stretched in widescreen (16:9)

and it is possible. I started on it, and here's a preview:

but there are so many different hud elements, and transparencies, and some things i'm not even sure how to fix, like the blood and life bars (where are they stored?!)

here's how i did what i did so far:

1. extract the vpl (pak002) using vpk tool
2. open vpk tool and under texture tools open ...\Steam\steamapps\common\Vampire The Masquerade - Bloodlines\Vampire\materials\hud\new_ui\healthbariconbg.ttz
3. extract ttz to tga
4. open tga with gimp (i was using gimp 2.8, you need to download the dds plugin for 2.8)
5. in gimp, open the tga, and go to image, scale image, this is 128x128, so the math is:

(4:3/16:9 aspect ratio)*horizontal resolution

for this files, it's:
(4/3)/(16/9)*128 = 96

click the little unlink ratio icon, set with 96, press scale

6. click image, canvas size, set width 128, click center, the click resize

7. click layer, layer to image size (took me a while to figure this out)

8. clikc file, export as, rename bloodbariconbg.tga to bloodbariconbg.dds, select DDS as image type,
compression: bc3 / bxt5
check gen mipmaps
ok

9. go back to vpk tool
10. under texturetools, open the healthbariconbg.dds
11. click convert dds to ttz

if you did this in ...\Steam\steamapps\common\Vampire The Masquerade - Bloodlines\Vampire\materials\hud\new_ui\...
you should see the change right away ingame

But a veteran at this, could probably do this much quicker, knowing which textures this applies to probably even using scripting+batch processing

Anyone?

Offline GlassDeviant

• Neonate
Re: Widescreen resolution stretched hud fix
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014, 06:13:52 am »
Did you use the ResPatch program before playing? I play in 16:9 exclusively, at 1280x720 and 2560x1440, and have had no problem with the HUD elements in 9.0 (and many earlier versions). I only have problems in the buy/sell screen where I have to click a bit below the words on the buttons.

It's only with the Camarilla Edition, or the Clan Quest edition, I forget which, where the HUD is messed up/misaligned.

Offline Mike89

• Fledgling
Re: Widescreen resolution stretched hud fix
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2014, 03:24:16 am »
Respatch is no longer needed. Game does it in game now.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2022, SimplePortal