collapse

Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Unofficial Patch 9.6 released!  (Read 64849 times)

Offline Corriguinech

• Neonate
Re: Unofficial Patch 9.6 beta 3 released!
« Reply #135 on: September 19, 2016, 10:08:58 pm »
DiamondBorne, Wesp5, it seems so. Well, it does answer the question of whether or not it is she on that portrait, and what exactly does she look like.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 10:13:23 pm by Corriguinech »

Offline IanW

• Methuselah
  • Onyx Path Community Manager
    • Onyx Path Publishing
« Reply #136 on: September 20, 2016, 05:06:22 am »
Those paintings are all unused restored stuff, so they will stay.

Fair enough. Reason I brought it up was because there's an abstract piece next to the tile switch -- I can't find a picture of it, but it's the one with the green frame to the right of this image:

That painting coincidentally looks like a blurry version of this poster we sell:

So I thought it might be fun to continue that theme with the rest of the paintings.

In any case, thanks to you and Malkav for addressing my suggestions. The relocation of the flame thrower and braid charm seems like a good solution.
Ian A. A. Watson
Onyx Path Community Manager
VTM portal - Tabletop primer

Offline Wesp5

• Administratrix
  • Antediluvian
  • Unofficial Patcher
« Reply #137 on: September 20, 2016, 09:09:12 am »
That painting coincidentally looks like a blurry version of this poster we sell:

You often write "we" when speaking about VTM. Are you working with or for WW?

Offline Nigama

• Dead
  • Antediluvian
« Reply #138 on: September 20, 2016, 01:49:50 pm »

http://whitewolf.wikia.com/wiki/Ian_A._A._Watson

He indirectly works for WW because he works for Onyx Path Publishing.
"You may not remember us, but we may be responsible for your lack of memory."

Offline nightspore333

• Fledgling
« Reply #139 on: September 20, 2016, 03:39:35 pm »
Quick question; did you do any work on the news reports? Since getting to my Downtown Haven it seems like I'm getting vanilla news reports on my Malk character, and no more mention of any of the Santa Monica stories.

Offline IanW

• Methuselah
    • Onyx Path Publishing
« Reply #140 on: September 20, 2016, 08:48:20 pm »

As indicated in my sig, I'm the community manager for Onyx Path Publishing. We're the current publishers of the Vampire: The Masquerade tabletop RPG that Bloodlines is based on, under license from White Wolf. Onyx Path's founder, Rich Thomas, had worked for White Wolf since about 1986, and is the creator of (among other things) all the clan symbols. His name appears in the credits of nearly every book White Wolf ever produced.

He also illustrated a lot of the original run of Magic: The Gathering cards, which has nothing to do with Vampire, but it's always weird for me to think of him in that context. :)

Here's me (the redhead at left) with Vampire developer Eddy Webb (centre) during a State of the Industry panel we were on at Fan Expo Canada a few weeks ago.
Ian A. A. Watson

Offline Wesp5

• Administratrix
  • Antediluvian
  • Unofficial Patcher
« Reply #141 on: September 20, 2016, 08:59:21 pm »
Quick question; did you do any work on the news reports?

No, didn't touch them for a long time as far as I can remember...

Offline Wesp5

• Administratrix
  • Antediluvian
  • Unofficial Patcher
« Reply #142 on: September 20, 2016, 09:09:04 pm »
As indicated in my sig, I'm the community manager for Onyx Path Publishing.

Cool! Of course I know who Onyx Path is, but I don't play the PnP game and I never really looked at you sig ;). So you don't have any inside information on what is going on with Obsidian where both Tim Cain and Leonard Boyarksy work on something using the Unreal 4 engine :)?

Offline IanW

• Methuselah
    • Onyx Path Publishing
« Reply #143 on: September 20, 2016, 10:33:28 pm »
Cool! Of course I know who Onyx Path is, but I don't play the PnP game and I never really looked at you sig ;). So you don't have any inside information on what is going on with Obsidian where both Tim Cain and Leonard Boyarksy work on something using the Unreal 4 engine :)?

Nope, sorry! We only handle White Wolf's tabletop stuff for now. The new White Wolf are keeping their hands pretty close to their chest about their plans, and even if I did know if anything was happening with Obsidian I probably wouldn't be able to talk about it.

Ian A. A. Watson

Offline Malkav

• Antediluvian
« Reply #144 on: September 22, 2016, 12:26:19 pm »
I just wonder, why do you get a masquerade redemption when you send the Nossiephoto to Gary? Gary's mail states that he has seen the picture on Haunted LA, so the damage is already done.
Co Author of Camarilla Edition Mod

Offline Gary Golden

• Fledgling
« Reply #145 on: September 22, 2016, 05:41:26 pm »
Hi, first of all I'd like to show my appreciation for the amazing work of Wesp over the years, as well as of the other modders who contributed to the patch. Bloodlines truly deserves all the love it gets.

I've played two times recently, with the basic and the plus patches(beta 2). About the last one, there's a lot of things I've enjoyed, some really surprised me, but if you allow me, I'd like to make some comments about things I think could be improved upon, hopefully without too many unrealistic expectations. I've been reading some of the threads here and at the Codex, so I'll try not to beat any dead horses.

First of all, the new areas.. They mostly surprised me for the quality and variety, so props to you and Entenschreck for that. The new area in Grout's mansion reminds me of the Sword level in Thief, which is pretty cool, as the game already gives off a strong Thief vibe in other places. It's short, but very creative, more than most of the game areas(Troika was great at atmosphere, but not level design). However, because it's so different, it must also have a different function from the rest of the mansion. This is sort of explaned in the note, where Grout says he uses it to  spy on his patients with Obfuscate. First of all, I think that, generally speaking, explicit reference to vampiric skills coming from a character, break with the style of the game. It's best for Grout to say something like "with my new powers/abilities". More importantly, given the supernatural aspects of the level, like the shifting mannequins (really nice touch) and its general wackiness, I think the area probably had some other meaning for Grout, its creator, other than scientific voyeurism. We're looking at another, deeper layer of Grout's psyche here, something which the original developers probably didn't think they had time to develop, which is probably why they didn't include the map in the first place, as it kind of jars with Grout's serious and analytic façade. I'm assuming, of course, the new map follows the original concept somewhat. In any case, the map represents a deep, hidden layer of Grout's personality and that should be apparent in the architecture. That's why, I think, the entrance to this new area should be made a lot more hidden and subtle, something that could be easily missed, instead of just having a normal door ( it's also worth mentioning that having a loading screen there is kind of unexpected). Another reason for this is that a lot of new players have their first experience with the plus patch and thus they will probably miss the vanilla content in lieu of an experimental, modded area, as good as it is. And if Grout built his mansion with "security in mind", than given his vanity, I think he'd be eager to keep that area, which reveals more about himself than any other, away from the attention of unwanted visitors. Unless, of course, he meant to trap them there?

The Nosferatu Warrens' shortcut was a welcomed addition. It was very well executed, but then again, the same criticism: it's put in a place where new players may be led to skip the vanilla content. Maybe it should be made more clear that the plus patch is meant for replays only. Also, Mitnick leaves a note in which he mentions that the new area allows you to skip the boss. This is really fourth wall breaking, which may be intentional, but in any case I think a better solution could be found. Perhaps a referrence to the warrens being infested with dangerous critters and the necessity of having an alternative path to the lair, only accessible to the Nosferatu.

The library map and the coffee shops -- great areas. I specially like the study and art rooms of the library. However, this contrasts with the tackiness of the cave. I have the impression that this map is still rather unfinished and I don't know what ideas the modder has for it. I don't think the puzzle makes a lot of sense, tbh. Also, it's not necessary for the quest log to tell you that there's a secret entrance nearby when you flip the switch, a sound effect is sufficient. The cutscene and voice acting of the boss are really amateurish, although I've read these were actually hidden in the original files and not fanmade. It's one of the cases where the original material should be thrown out of the window and an original solution found. I won't propose anything, as the modder probably has his own ideas to implement. All in all, I'm delighted that the library can now be explored, as the downtown map clearly creates that expectation.

Things I'm not sure were in the original: when you travel to the museum as a Nosferatu, the cab is there even though you traveled by the sewers. Also, I remember that in the basic patch I entered from the roof, but I wasn't playing a Nos, then. I think it makes more sense that way, for any character except the Nos, since you can't enter the museum directly through the sewers.

Some more nitpicking:
In Grout mansion's new map, there's a typo in one of the notes, where it should say "wishes" instead of "whishes".
When talking to the employee from the coffeeshop, after reading Beckett's note, the PC can only reply with "I don't have a valid reply". I don't think this is intentional.
In the Russian mobster quest, it's rather weird that the guards  don't react to you in any way, even when you're Nosferatu. It doesn't make sense, because the one guarding the boss, the only one you can talk to, reacts agressively to you, saying "Baba Yaga!"(this is quite funny and shows that the developers read the lore). I don't know if this can be easily implemented, but the guards inside the central hall should have some kind of routine and move around, instead of standing in the middle of the room like statues. This quest was completely botched by Troika, as at first it indicates that you can do it by stealth, but in reality it's impossible. The last guard can't even be distracted with objects and you can't bypass him.
In the Giovanni mansion, I've noticed that the guards near the kitchen can see through walls. They could spot me crouching even without a line of sight. Also, lockpicking the doors that give access to Bruno Giovanni results in everyone going crazy(Auspex is not a valid explanation as they don't see you killing the guards). It's also weird that Bruno always reacts by blowing away the front door even when you're caught lockpicking the side door. Ideally, I'd like to enter the room and see him deliver his speech, and maybe give him a little surprise from up close.

I hope you don't find my rambling too tedious. I really appreciate everything you and other modders have done for this game and I hope it continues for many years.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 05:47:30 pm by Gary Golden »

Offline Wesp5

• Administratrix
  • Antediluvian
  • Unofficial Patcher
« Reply #146 on: September 22, 2016, 09:31:24 pm »
I hope you don't find my rambling too tedious.

Of course not, but it's getting late here in Germany, so I will answer in detail tomorrow...

Offline FrederickVael

• Fledgling
« Reply #147 on: September 23, 2016, 12:19:14 am »
I just reinstaled the game, and used the 9.6 beta 3 patch, playing a malkavian run. I love how the voices seems to be more scarce, and spooky. Don't know if that's part of the patch or not, but back on 9.5 I remember it being more frequent and distracting. Anyway, good work.

I only have one thing to mention: the wires. I think this could have been mentioned before, but you know, 10 pages, so if it was mentioned, sorry, but it's pretty important. They are weird, they are distracting, they are annoying, and they add nothing. They move so much, it seems like there is a freaking typhoon going on Santa Monica. But those physics happen even indoor, like on the clinic, in which some cords that are on the door on the left of the main entrance are moving like crazy. Not crazy, crazy, but like there is a big wind going on.

Even on the Ocean Hotel, the ceiling lamps that usually fall on top of you also have those dancing wires, which are awfully weird because they lamps is still as hell, but the cord is moving like a weird snake.

Don't know why is happening, don't know if that's part of the basic game, but duuuude, wtf is this.

I'm playing a new game, just reinstalled the game (but maybe there were some left overs on the directory from previous installations), and I'm running the game from steam through the -game Unnoficial Patch thing.

Offline IanW

• Methuselah
    • Onyx Path Publishing
« Reply #148 on: September 23, 2016, 12:27:29 am »
I only have one thing to mention: the wires.

Don't know why is happening, don't know if that's part of the basic game, but duuuude, wtf is this.

The wires are, like the whispers, largely exclusive to the Malkavians (and the Plus patch). It's a sort of visual hallucination to tie in with the audio hallucinations they experience.

As I recall there's a text file you can make a simple edit to which will disable the writhing wires, if it's too distracting for you, but I don't recall the specifics.
Ian A. A. Watson

Offline FrederickVael

• Fledgling
« Reply #149 on: September 23, 2016, 12:47:57 am »
Oh.

Oooooooooh.

Well, they did the trick. Man, I was freaking confused playing. There were things moving everywhere, and from time to time some girl would moan or shriek or shit like that. A shame that the "report-bug" mentality made me not enjoy it as such.

Damn is this malkavian run being troubled. My first run, like 8 years ago, was a malkavian run, and haven't played malkavian since.

Great, then. Keep the good work. You are an internet saint, Wesp.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal